Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Impressions From Cortland Training Camp

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> New York Jets
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DHarvey

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2014 6:15 pm    Post subject: Impressions From Cortland Training Camp Reply with quote

Living in the Adirondacks, the closest I ever get to seeing the Jets in living color is by attending the Cortland Training Camp for a few days each summer. And when the weather cooperates and allows me to combine the 4 hour trip each way on my motorcycle, wellcan it get any better? I attended last Thursday and Fridays practices and thought to share my observations for whatever its worth.

OVERALL: The team looked crisp moving through their practice routines, noticeably better than in previous years. They had to do ten push-ups whenever someone screwed up and it only happened three times in two days..not bad. Between the addition of Decker and Johnson and Vick plus a few truly outstanding rookies and returning vets, the team looks better than I expected. Given their fairly modest schedule, this team might actually surprise us and sneak into the playoffs.

QBs: Geno Smith took the majority of snaps both days. He was more accurate than last year and made some nice long throws hitting the receivers in stride most of the time (emphasis most). However, when a receiver made several cuts, Geno always seemed to wait until the final cut before throwing the ball. .. thus giving the defenders time to come up and get involved in the pass in one way or another.
As compared to Vick (see comments below). Is the guy for our future? To me, no but hey just one guys opinion.

Michael Vick was terrific to watch. His throws are lasers and what is totally obvious is that he anticipates the receivers routes. His balls are already airborne before the receiver makes his final cut, thus cutting down on the time the defense has to ..well defend the pass. In addition, with the exception of two throws, he was always on target both days. I dont care what you think about Vicks past, (dog fighting, etc)..no one with a pair of eyeballs could deny that Vick is absolutely the best QB on the field. Unfortunately, it appears only (a) a dismal early 3 to 4 games by Geno or (b) an injury to Geno will see Vick on the field. And to repeat my question above, is Vick the guy for our future? Again, no but only because of his age and his durability. As a fan, I dont think we have the long term QB on the roster. Vick, unhurt, could produce great results this year.. but hes not the long term answer.

RBs
Chris Johnson is the real deal. Hes fast and more importantly quick (changing lanes and gears). What was a surprise was when he went long on what turned out to be a 50 yard end zone toss by Vick in which Johnson (yes Chris Johnson) pulled in the pass in the end zone with a defender hanging all over him! Woof! The man can catch a ball! Everyone in the crowd was saying was that Chris Johnson? Yup!

Ivory and Powell looked solid and frankly so did Richardson. Were loaded at RB. Period.

WRs Sorry if each segment starts with a newly acquired vet but Eric Decker is spectacular. Turns out he is not only game fast but has vacuum cleaner hands. I didnt see him drop a single pass both days including some errant throws that many receivers would have dropped. I know the knock is that Peyton wont be throwing to him but thats not his fault. He can only catch whats thrown to him and by whoever is throwing to him. Weve got a good one here everyone..solid player.

Kerley..well what can you say. Hes even better than the last two years. Im a huge Kerley fan. Idzik better figure out how to keep this fella on the team forever because hes worth every penny thats spent. He made some acrobatic catches and also returns kicks. Superb.

Wonderful surprise is rookie Jalen Saunders. The book lists him at 165 lbs.. my guess only if hes got bricks in his pockets.. hes so small you figure hell break on the first hit.. Au contraire.. there was a play where Geno hit him on a go post about 30 yards downfield and two defenders came up to hit him..there was a collision.. and..Saunders continue down field with both defenders on their backs..the crowd roared with approval. A play I wont long forget. The kid is fast and like Kerley doesnt drop anything thrown his way. Tough little guy for sure.

TEs
Cumberland looked solid..and frankly so did Sudfeld. I know hes a bit of a journeyman but he did well. Jace Amaro the rookie is huge and I think once he gets the playbook down hell be ok. Nothing overwhelming in his performance..just a sense that hes a good athlete and will grow into the NFL game.

Since I dont want this post to become a short novel, Ill skip briefly to the defense.

On defense:

Safety The new kid Calvin Pryor is cut.. he just looks like an enforcer..wouldnt want to get hit by this guy. Landry was clearly the QB of the secondary moving the rooks and all the other CBs/Safeties into the correct formations.

DL Dont know if he makes the team but TJ Barnes is a monster at 67 364 lbs.. theyve got him listed as NT.. can he really bend down that low? Weve really begun to build a long term DL with Wilkerson, Richardson, Harrison, Ellis all together and roughly similar ages.

LB- The group looked solid. I frankly didnt have too much time to watch the defense so Ill trust in Rex to have them ready to go.

My biggest impression overall as far as a few players were Vick, Decker and yes this rookie Suanders. Hes gonna surprise a lot of people for sure.

David
jetsfan4life51

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2014 7:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I haven't heard many negative things about this team yet which scares me. My friend lives in Cortland he said Geno looked really good and Chris Johnson is still fast. We have so many different pieces that will contribute and so much depth on offense now it's kind of scary. I'dsay same on defense too. DL and S especially it's going to be hard to find spots for all of these guys.

The one thing that will kill us is consistency. Between Rex Ryan's history, and the potential of our young players, we are bound to have some rough patches. But it's very scary how good this team could end up being. You would think between Geno maturing and the game slowing down and adding actual WRs and a potential stud TE plus the OL should be better and speedy Chris Johnson to pair with Ivory. Tell me a weakness on this team besides youth not playing consistent?

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2014 7:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jetsfan4life51 wrote:
I haven't heard many negative things about this team yet which scares me. My friend lives in Cortland he said Geno looked really good and Chris Johnson is still fast. We have so many different pieces that will contribute and so much depth on offense now it's kind of scary. I'dsay same on defense too. DL and S especially it's going to be hard to find spots for all of these guys.

The one thing that will kill us is consistency. Between Rex Ryan's history, and the potential of our young players, we are bound to have some rough patches. But it's very scary how good this team could end up being. You would think between Geno maturing and the game slowing down and adding actual WRs and a potential stud TE plus the OL should be better and speedy Chris Johnson to pair with Ivory. Tell me a weakness on this team besides youth not playing consistent?

Offensive line is a bit of a question mark. Not sure how Colon will hold up or how the young guys will do.

But yes, I think we have a decent squad. 9 or 10 wins isn't unrealistic considering the talent we added and the experience that the second year guys have now.
rickyt31

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2014 9:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great write up dude.

I didn't hear about a few of those plays. That is exciting. Your write up about Geno is a bit alarming to me. Delaying his throws is what killed him the most imo. So I'm hoping he sharpens that up. If Geno can beat Vick, I feel like we have landed our Franchise QB. I've always liked Vick as a QB and projected him to start at one point, but it wouldn't be a good thing for us long term. I do feel like we would go pretty far this season with Vick at QB.

I can't wait to see Chris Johnson. Such a game changer. He's going to fit Marty's system perfectly. He's the player defenses really have to plan for.

I got us at 10 wins with a rough start. For the first time in a Long time, there isn't a position I feel like is going to be a true weakness and will have to be addressed going into next offseason. We have youth and potential in each position we considered to be a weakness going into this offseason.

Quote:
JETS . HEAT . GSU & V-Tech (CF) . SYRACUSE (CB) . ATL MLS .
DHarvey

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2014 6:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My biggest concern with the Jets and a carry over concern from last season is the offensive line. It was simply porous on pass protection last year. As much as Geno has shortfalls, in fairness to him he often had very little time to throw. And while we did ok in the run game, I often felt that our running back made gains in spite of poor offensive line blocking instead of because of good offensive line blocking. I hope this Giacomini pick up helps and I'm counting on Mangold and Ferguson still having a few good years left in the tank. Maybe Winters will have developed over the offseason which is fine as it often takes a few years to develop as a solid O-line player. We shall see.
Bobby816

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2014 9:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great write up. You hit a lot of the big issues this team has. Is Geno the franchise QB? Who can emerge at WR outside of Decker and Kerley. Who's gonna get the majority if the snaps at TE betwen Amaro and Cumberland. Who wins the guard spots. Who wins the #2 CB spot. Do we trust the young safety duo of Pryor and Allen enough to not use Landry too.
Rockice_8

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2014 9:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DHarvey wrote:
My biggest concern with the Jets and a carry over concern from last season is the offensive line. It was simply porous on pass protection last year. As much as Geno has shortfalls, in fairness to him he often had very little time to throw. And while we did ok in the run game, I often felt that our running back made gains in spite of poor offensive line blocking instead of because of good offensive line blocking. I hope this Giacomini pick up helps and I'm counting on Mangold and Ferguson still having a few good years left in the tank. Maybe Winters will have developed over the offseason which is fine as it often takes a few years to develop as a solid O-line player. We shall see.

That is the total opposite of what Cimini posted a few weeks ago. He said our line despite the high sack total ranked 3rd in pass protection. I chalk that up to Geno's slow release time and teams bringing pressure a lot.

I'm only worried about our tackle/C depth. If we lose a tackle or Mangold we are in trouble, hope for the best I guess. If healthy I have no issues with our line.

I agree on Saunders, easily the best rookie pass catcher. I also think Hill and Nelson will split time as the #2. I think Hill has a good year this year. Breakout player for me. Love the D-line and RB situation too.

Concerns:
Amaro - His drops are concerning. He's supposed to have good hands but I've heard about way too many drops. Needs to learn the playbook faster so he stops thinking and can just react. Might not be as pro ready as we hoped, not overly concerned with him though over the long term.

Secondary - Revis wasn't Revis until like year 3 or 4. I love the secondary and think we have a lot of young talent. Young talent often has growing pains. As good as I think Milliner to be, he's going to get toasted at times next year because he's still learning. He'll be a #1 and McDougle looks good too but hopefully the growing pains aren't too bad.

As for the QB's. I think Geno wins the job. Vick has never been that great as a starter, he turns the ball over more then he should too. Geno will be up and down again. Anyone who thinks it'll click is fooling themselves. He will improve overall and that's the key. He will at the very least show he can be the man of the future and that's enough for me.

I think the schedule is tougher than people think. I have us just missing out again on the playoffs. Somewhere between 9-7 and 7-9 will be our record but even though the record won't indicated improvement, it'll be clear in the numbers. We are headed in the right direction but I think our youth shows in close games and we ultimately just miss the playoffs. WE are on the rise though and just need patience.

Props to Mack on the sig
Mr.O

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2014 10:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Saunders will turn into our DJax. Really like the write up, good job. the only thing im honestly concerned with this season is our Guard play.

Props to CalhounLambeau on the Sig/Avy

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> New York Jets All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: