Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Vikings TE Kyle Rudolph signs 5 year-$36.5 million extension
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> NFL News
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ketchup

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2014 1:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

vikingsrule wrote:
The vikes are sitting pretty good cap wise given that they had many failed picks from the 2010 and 2011 draft. I don't see this deal being a hindrance to the Vikings even if he fails to live up to the deal.
That's not really the point. If Rudolph fails to live up to it, even if it's not a hindrance to them, it's still a bad signing.

My opinion has been that Rudolph is overrated. He got this contract on the potential he poses, much like they did with Griffen. However, if Rudolph blows up this year like I'm sure that FO is expecting him to, he would have cost a good amount more to sign then. Risk and reward.

Simply put, I don't think it's a bad deal at all.

Kempes on the custom sig!
JM95

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2014 2:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thats a lot of money for someone who hasn't done a whole lot.
SteelKing728

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2014 3:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RandyMossIsBoss wrote:
SteelKing728 wrote:
Tzimisce wrote:
That seems a bit excessive for a guy who hasn't exceeded 500 yards in a season yet.

His Probowl MVP award says hi.

Its a good deal. I'd like to see him get locked up now, instead of seeing him have a breakout season, test FA and then bolt for the highest bidder (AKA Seattle).
Not srs?

I'm srs.

I can tolerate your opinion if you believe being named to the Probowl isn't a big deal, let alone be the MVP of it (For all I care, you may think the Probowl is a complete joke)

Generally though, you have to be a top player in the league to make the Probowl (and this seems to be the consensus when we see multiple rankings from multiple sources across the NFL when judging the top players in the league). Thats saying something to me.

The point is, Kyle Rudolph has proven something, even without being on the same level as Davis, Graham and Gronkowski. Its not like he's some PS Tight End who's done nothing to get this contract. Heck, Rudolph had a lot of success with Christian Ponder at QB. That has to mean something too! Rudy's bulk stats aren't sexy, but he has a lot of potential, and I think our new offense can exploit that potential.

Not your typical Vikings anymore.
Legacyof52

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2014 3:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tzimisce wrote:
That seems a bit excessive for a guy who hasn't exceeded 500 yards in a season yet.
lol ok? maybe they have seen enough of him to make that decision?

People make mistakes when making these decisions but they obviously know more about him than you do.
El ramster

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2014 3:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SteelKing728 wrote:
RandyMossIsBoss wrote:
SteelKing728 wrote:
Tzimisce wrote:

Its a good deal. I'd like to see him get locked up now, instead of seeing him have a breakout season, test FA and then bolt for the highest bidder (AKA Seattle).
Not srs?

I'm srs.

I can tolerate your opinion if you believe being named to the Probowl isn't a big deal, let alone be the MVP of it (For all I care, you may think the Probowl is a complete joke)

Generally though, you have to be a top player in the league to make the Probowl (and this seems to be the consensus when we see multiple rankings from multiple sources across the NFL when judging the top players in the league). Thats saying something to me.

The point is, Kyle Rudolph has proven something, even without being on the same level as Davis, Graham and Gronkowski. Its not like he's some PS Tight End who's done nothing to get this contract. Heck, Rudolph had a lot of success with Christian Ponder at QB. That has to mean something too! Rudy's bulk stats aren't sexy, but he has a lot of potential, and I think our new offense can exploit that potential.

He's proven to not being able to produce.

BBL

mozwanted wrote:
I'm beginning to like the rg3 trade
TheVillain112

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2014 4:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TheKillerNacho wrote:
TheVillain112 wrote:
TheKillerNacho wrote:
I will say I like this extension far more than the one they gave to Everson Griffen.

At the end of the day I like both players (Griffen and Rudolph). Vikings did overpay based on what they have done thus far but at the same time, they are wise to lock down two young players who need to step up for them...

What if they never actually take that step up? Time and time again, "talented" players never reach their potential. I wouldn't exactly call the level of risk associated with these deals as "wise".

I'd rather a team take that risk with their own player than a FA. I remember when Antonio Brown signed his huge deal with the Steelers and everyone trashed it saying they overpaid. It's not looking like a bad contract now.

The Vikings have already invested a lot in Rudolph and Griffen. Also they have worked with these players for a couple of years now and know their character, work ethic and capabilities. It's much less of a risk investing their cap space in them then in a rookie or a FA, IMHO. Of course they can still be wrong but personally I like the talent of both players and think (barring injury) that they'll prove the Vikings right for giving them the contracts that they did...

Orlovsky has too much experience here. Manziel doesn't stand a chance.
disaacs

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2014 5:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

El ramster wrote:
He's proven to not being able to produce.

That's not a fair argument. The reality is that he has proven a little bit, but not everything yet. He's still got plenty of upside being only 24 years old.

The key to fulfilling that potential is staying healthy. Thus far, he has not proven that yet.

I agree, however, that a Pro Bowl MVP is rather meaningless in a game where no one plays defense, but in the time he has been healthy, he has been rather productive, and seemed to always be the one guy that was rather reliable for Ponder.

I also personally believe it was a good deal with good timing, because if they had waited until after this season, I believe his cost would have gone up significantly. Even so, while people may think he's going to be getting paid as a top-5 TE, that's sort of twisted logic, because in 2 years, this contract will likely be no higher than a top 10-12 TE, which is about what Rudolph can and should be. The cost is only going to go up for TEs, and this contract will be considered a bargain. Of course, there's the risk that he doesn't deliver, but I believe it's a calculated risk that is worth it.

Thx to Uncle Buck!
incognito_man

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2014 10:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SteelKing728 wrote:
RandyMossIsBoss wrote:
SteelKing728 wrote:
Tzimisce wrote:

Not srs?

I'm srs.

you know, i never thought i'd hear someone actually making the claim a player is good because of how they played in the friggin Pro Bowl

Laughing

that is about 75% worse than pre-season.

Actually, it's way worse than that even.
SteelKing728

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2014 11:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

incognito_man wrote:
SteelKing728 wrote:
RandyMossIsBoss wrote:
SteelKing728 wrote:
Tzimisce wrote:

Not srs?

I'm srs.

you know, i never thought i'd hear someone actually making the claim a player is good because of how they played in the friggin Pro Bowl

Laughing

that is about 75% worse than pre-season.

Actually, it's way worse than that even.

Kyle Rudolph was recognized as a top player in the league in 2012 (I can't find the list. NFL.com is useless when using an advanced search for previous top 100 lists). Even if he wasn't voted into the probowl that year, I still think that should mean something.

I'm not really even a big fan of the Probowl, considering how watered down it is (especially now). I just figure winning the MVP award for the game has to mean something...anything!

As far as the comment "Rudolph has proven to not being able to produce ", I'm not quite following here? To what extent El Ramster? Are you saying Rudolph has had little to no impact at all in the NFL? are you saying he has underperformed? I don't know. I think you need to be more clear. {awkward shrug} Confused

All in all, I still think this is a fair deal for both sides.

Not your typical Vikings anymore.
JaguarCrazy2832

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2014 11:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think it was a bit premature, but if he has the season I'm expecting the price would go up

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2014 11:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

vikingsrule wrote:
Brian23 wrote:
vikingsrule wrote:
Solid deal for MN. Rudolph has a habit of making big time, clutch catches. Too bad his QBs have been lousy. Rudolph is a big time redzone threat who wasnt involved much. Turner loves his TE so if Rudolph can stay healthy and Bridgewater is given a shot, I could see some strong numbers. You pay based on potential going forward, not what was accomplished in the past.

My biggest concern with Rudolph is his health.

What? No you don't. You pay on what they've done and what they could do. They're both in harmony, sometimes one out weighs the other but you can't just ignore him being an average TE before this and say the deals okay. The only thing that you can base his production on is his production.

If he doesn't blow up, its a [inappropriate/removed] contract. If he does, it works out however till the time he may blow up, many people can groan because of what it does to the TE market.

Future production should always be the primary objective when drafting a contract. Sure this is not always the case but in cases as this contract, or Everson Griffens or Jared cooks contracts, future upside will win out over current production. Many bad contracts we have seen were given out for past production when future upside was probably more limited than given the players age. If Rudolph isn't producing that likely means Bridgewater has flipped or he isn't healthy. I'm just not on board with the notion that a talented receiver shouldn't get an extension because of poor qb play.

What should be is not what is done. Players always get contracts based on what they've done before hand. This is about one of the few times I can think someones thrown big money to a guy who's not even had one break out season yet.
Brian23

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2014 11:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SteelKing728 wrote:
RandyMossIsBoss wrote:
SteelKing728 wrote:
Tzimisce wrote:

Not srs?

I'm srs.

Pro Bowl is about name recognition mostly, all pro is what you want to base ability off of more often then not.
Ketchup

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2014 12:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SteelKing728 wrote:
Kyle Rudolph was recognized as a top player in the league in 2012 (I can't find the list. NFL.com is useless when using an advanced search for previous top 100 lists). Even if he wasn't voted into the probowl that year, I still think that should mean something.

I'm not really even a big fan of the Probowl, considering how watered down it is (especially now). I just figure winning the MVP award for the game has to mean something...anything!
So you've now used a PB MVP and NFLN's top 100 lists to try and back Rudolph? Just stop man. Trying to use either of those things to justify how you see a player is just stupid. That PB MVP literally means nothing. The top 100 list NFLN puts out means even less.

I'm not even necessarily disagreeing with your point if you read my post at the top, you'll see I don't think this was a bad signing at all, but you're going about explaining why you feel this way very badly.

Kempes on the custom sig!
Nnivolcm

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2014 12:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SteelKing728 wrote:

The only thing the Probowl means is that when someone uses it to back up their point, their argument instantly looses credibility.

Team Stylish
Thanks to Smack for the sig!
vikingsvikings

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2014 1:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Vikings have 2 probowl MVP's on their team Shocked I don't think any other team can brag about that.

I'm definitely ok with Spielman being very underrated on these boards.

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> NFL News All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 5 of 6

Jump to: