Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Vikings TE Kyle Rudolph signs 5 year-$36.5 million extension
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> NFL News
View previous topic :: View next topic  
vikingsrule

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2014 9:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Brian23 wrote:
vikingsrule wrote:
Solid deal for MN. Rudolph has a habit of making big time, clutch catches. Too bad his QBs have been lousy. Rudolph is a big time redzone threat who wasnt involved much. Turner loves his TE so if Rudolph can stay healthy and Bridgewater is given a shot, I could see some strong numbers. You pay based on potential going forward, not what was accomplished in the past.

My biggest concern with Rudolph is his health.

What? No you don't. You pay on what they've done and what they could do. They're both in harmony, sometimes one out weighs the other but you can't just ignore him being an average TE before this and say the deals okay. The only thing that you can base his production on is his production.

If he doesn't blow up, its a [inappropriate/removed] contract. If he does, it works out however till the time he may blow up, many people can groan because of what it does to the TE market.

Future production should always be the primary objective when drafting a contract. Sure this is not always the case but in cases as this contract, or Everson Griffens or Jared cooks contracts, future upside will win out over current production. Many bad contracts we have seen were given out for past production when future upside was probably more limited than given the players age. If Rudolph isn't producing that likely means Bridgewater has flipped or he isn't healthy. I'm just not on board with the notion that a talented receiver shouldn't get an extension because of poor qb play.
TheKillerNacho

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2014 9:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I get that they're extending him based on talent, but I really don't like that mentality. I like Kyle Rudolph, but if I was the Vikings I would want to see a bit more production before I sign him to a 5-year contract. Just seems premature... but I hope it works out for them. Vikings taking risks... but risks that could very well pay off.

I will say I like this extension far more than the one they gave to Everson Griffen.

Nacho Simulation Football League
Jetsfandan423

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2014 9:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I didn't realize this will be Rudolph's 4th year in the NFL and that he is only 24 years old. I think he is a good TE who has been held back either by injury or by his QB situation. I do think this deal is a bit premature, but that's just me. If he breaks out this year, then it won't matter because he will already be locked up.

Adopt a Jet: David Harris
TCKL: 20 SACK: 1 FF: 1 INT:
nugpimpen

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2014 9:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

vikingsvikings wrote:
Great deal. Couldn't be happier. Locked him up!

Spielman is a genius.

Overreaction much?

IDOG_det on the incredible sig!
TheKillerNacho

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2014 10:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

nugpimpen wrote:
vikingsvikings wrote:

Spielman is a genius.

Overreaction much?

My initial thought was sarcasm.

vikingsrule

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2014 10:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

nugpimpen wrote:
vikingsvikings wrote:

Spielman is a genius.

Overreaction much?

Spielman has built a talented team since he has taken over as gm in 2012. Obviously inept coaching and qbing has set the team back.
this providence

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2014 10:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just another one of Spielman's horrid long term deals. Nothing else to see here. He's lucky enough to be the GM of the Vikings, let alone a franchise in a league where contracts are non-guaranteed.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2014 10:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This should guarantee plenty of 30/300 seasons in the near future!

animaltested wrote:
On a scale from Kitten to Hitler, being close minded about music, and only listening to one or two genres is about a Boss Tweed.
X_Factor_40

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2014 10:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

He has a ton of potential but I've been waiting to see him put everything together for a few years. You can blame the lack of a steady starter at QB a little bit, but I don't totally buy into that line of thinking.

We'll see what happens, but that's a lot of money to give a guy who is yet to play up to the level that warrants that kind of investment. Time will tell.
nugpimpen

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2014 10:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

vikingsrule wrote:
nugpimpen wrote:
vikingsvikings wrote:

Spielman is a genius.

Overreaction much?

Spielman has built a talented team since he has taken over as gm in 2012. Obviously inept coaching and qbing has set the team back.

OK but calling him a genius at this point is a bit much. There hasn't been any production to back it up yet.

IDOG_det on the incredible sig!
TheVillain112

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2014 10:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

TheKillerNacho wrote:
I will say I like this extension far more than the one they gave to Everson Griffen.

At the end of the day I like both players (Griffen and Rudolph). Vikings did overpay based on what they have done thus far but at the same time, they are wise to lock down two young players who need to step up for them...
this providence

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2014 10:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rick Spielman has been in charge of personnel with the Vikings since 2006. Saying that he's only been the GM since 2012 in a bit disingenuous.

He's contributed to their failings at QB, and roster as a whole, as much as anyone.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2014 11:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

this providence wrote:
Rick Spielman has been in charge of personnel with the Vikings since 2006. Saying that he's only been the GM since 2012 in a bit disingenuous.

He's contributed to their failings at QB, and roster as a whole, as much as anyone.

And what if he gets Bridgewater right? Will you give him credit?
TheKillerNacho

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2014 12:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TheVillain112 wrote:
TheKillerNacho wrote:

At the end of the day I like both players (Griffen and Rudolph). Vikings did overpay based on what they have done thus far but at the same time, they are wise to lock down two young players who need to step up for them...

What if they never actually take that step up? Time and time again, "talented" players never reach their potential. I wouldn't exactly call the level of risk associated with these deals as "wise".

vikingsrule wrote:
this providence wrote:

And what if he gets Bridgewater right? Will you give him credit?

Of course he'd get credit for that... but until then, the jury is still out there. Bridgewater is a question mark right now. He can neither be used to argue in favor of Spielman, nor can he be used to argue against Spielman. Actually, that goes with the Griffen and Rudolph signings too. If all three work out and become franchise-caliber players, he'll look like a genius. However, if Rudolph & Griffen don't improve and Bridgewater struggles, I'd expect Spielman's seat will be quite warm going into 2015.

In short, Spielman is a risk-taker. It's premature to call him a genius, but it's also premature to call him a failure at GM too. Personally I don't really like these two moves but if they work out they are quite good for the Vikings.

vikingsrule

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2014 12:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The vikes are sitting pretty good cap wise given that they had many failed picks from the 2010 and 2011 draft. I don't see this deal being a hindrance to the Vikings even if he fails to live up to the deal.

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> NFL News All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 4 of 6

Jump to: