Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Packers sign WR Jordy Nelson to 4-year, $39M extension
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
incognito_man

PostPosted: Sat Jul 26, 2014 6:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Probably the best GM in the game gets another great deal inked. 5 years $43million for one of the best WRs in the game.

Well done.
CalhounLambeau

PostPosted: Sat Jul 26, 2014 6:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GSUeagles14 wrote:

At least defensively. Perry, Worthy, and even Jones to an extent dont and didnt seem to fit GBs scheme.

Ted Thompson keeps drafting players that don't fit his scheme?

Why isn't anyone telling him this?

FourThreeMafia

PostPosted: Sat Jul 26, 2014 6:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thompson is obviously a great GM, but I always laugh when people try to act like a GM did something really special when signing a certain player.

Jordy probably knew he couldve gotten more money if he hit the open market, and decided to take less to stay there with a great franchise and the best QB in the league.

Im not saying Thompson doesnt deserve any credit, but please stop acting like he made some genius signing here. He did his job, but its not like it was his "genius" that made Jordy sign for cheaper.

Madden 25 Steelers Franchise
GSUeagles14

PostPosted: Sat Jul 26, 2014 7:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CalhounLambeau wrote:
GSUeagles14 wrote:

At least defensively. Perry, Worthy, and even Jones to an extent dont and didnt seem to fit GBs scheme.

Ted Thompson keeps drafting players that don't fit his scheme?

Why isn't anyone telling him this?

Wasnt there just something in the last page about contributing to a thread instead of this stupid crap? Glad to see that you agree though as you clearly cant come with a counterargument.
TENINCH

PostPosted: Sat Jul 26, 2014 7:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CalhounLambeau wrote:

Yes.

Ketchup!!!!
Ketchup

PostPosted: Sat Jul 26, 2014 8:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

FourThreeMafia wrote:
Thompson is obviously a great GM, but I always laugh when people try to act like a GM did something really special when signing a certain player.

Jordy probably knew he couldve gotten more money if he hit the open market, and decided to take less to stay there with a great franchise and the best QB in the league.

Im not saying Thompson doesnt deserve any credit, but please stop acting like he made some genius signing here. He did his job, but its not like it was his "genius" that made Jordy sign for cheaper.
Good point. Plus, Russ Ball is our money guy and is a darn good one. I heaped praise on Thompson but you're right, he shouldn't get all the credit. All three of Nelson, Thompson and Ball came to an agreement that worked for everyone.

Mostly, I'm just glad Jordy is a Packer for another 5 years.

Kempes on the custom sig!
incognito_man

PostPosted: Sat Jul 26, 2014 8:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ketchup wrote:
FourThreeMafia wrote:

Good point. Plus, Russ Ball is our money guy and is a darn good one. I heaped praise on Thompson but you're right, he shouldn't get all the credit. All three of Nelson, Thompson and Ball came to an agreement that worked for everyone.

Mostly, I'm just glad Jordy is a Packer for another 5 years.

yep, Russ Ball + Thompson combo does it the right way IMO. I suspect players in the org have a ton of good feelings toward them and how they work on deals with players.
CalhounLambeau

PostPosted: Sat Jul 26, 2014 9:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GSUeagles14 wrote:

Wasnt there just something in the last page about contributing to a thread instead of this stupid crap? Glad to see that you agree though as you clearly cant come with a counterargument.

Ted Thompson is drafting players that don't fit his own schemes. You're clearly 100% correct in Thompson sabotaging his own organization against his scouting departments wishes.

I am definitely the one posting stupid crap. My apologies.
JaguarCrazy2832

PostPosted: Sat Jul 26, 2014 10:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What
a
steal
AlexGreen#20

PostPosted: Sat Jul 26, 2014 11:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GSUeagles14 wrote:
Pugger wrote:
GSUeagles14 wrote:
Ketchup wrote:
TENINCH wrote:
Ketchup wrote:
TENINCH wrote:
Thelonebillsfan wrote:
They really just need to build a statue to Ted Thompson at this point. Amazing deal.

No
Lets give this guy a medal for an A+ contribution to the thread. I mean really, your post is so thought worthy and full intelligence.

Next time, try and put a little more effort into posting instead of being lazy and typing two letters. Really, why even bother if that's all you're going to say.

So you think there should be a statue to honor Ted in front of Lambeau Field?
He's a top 3 GM and is an absolute wizard when it comes to contract extensions and structuring. Should he have a statue? No, but you also took that comment a little to literally. If was purposely hyperbolic to point out that Thompson is a great GM.

That, and one word responses add nothing and are annoying. That's all my point was. I probably could have made that point without the sarcasm though.

Him being a top 3 GM is a stretch, i dont even know if I have him in the top 5. Drafting has tailed off and GB seems insistent on trying to fit square pegs in round holes, especially on defense. At the end of the day though, GMs are the top boss basically. Does it really matter if you have a fantastic money guy working for you or if youre that guy?

The Packers have made the playoffs 6 out of the 9 years he's been the GM thus the Packers have been drafting towards the end of each round over most of those years so Thompson must be doing something right. Before you say "well that's all because of Rodgers" who in the hell drafted him when 22 others passed in 2005? Unfortunately for us one of the reasons why some of our draft picks haven't panned out lately is because of injury.

Theres a difference between doing something right and being a top 3-5 GM. As far as the draft/injury, even the guys drafted when healthy haven't perform like you would think a 1st/2nd rounder word. At least defensively. Perry, Worthy, and even Jones to an extent dont and didnt seem to fit GBs scheme.

What scheme do you think is being run in Green Bay and how are the players not fitting?

Unless there's a scheme where players stay healthy, it's difficult to blame the lack of production from certain young players on the scheme.
the combined record of Brady, Manning, Montana, Marino, Elway, Favre, Young, Staubach, Jim Kelly, Phil Simms, Warren Moon, Troy Aikman, Ben Roethlisberger when their defenses have given up 37 or more points? It's 0-24.
ChazStandard

PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2014 7:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Respect the signing, obviously he could have got a lot more money somewhere else (somebody would have overpaid him...someone always does), but he put team atmosphere, chemistry and the chance to build a legacy over money. Cool to see a guy do that.

Adopt-a-Pat 2014: Robert Gronkowski TE
Rec: 76 Yards: 1093 TDs: 11
biggio7

PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2014 9:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If all players were like Jordy in every sport, they would all be better off. Jordy just moved up on my list of players I like and admire.

Adopt a Texan: Mr. Kareem Jackson
FFBB; Suule o nerte!
GSUeagles14

PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2014 9:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

CalhounLambeau wrote:
GSUeagles14 wrote:

Ted Thompson is drafting players that don't fit his own schemes. You're clearly 100% correct in Thompson sabotaging his own organization against his scouting departments wishes.

I am definitely the one posting stupid crap. My apologies.

Once again, posting crap. I feel bad for you if you feel thats what I said. I suspect however, you realize it isnt and youre just deflecting to be difficult and have nothing to add.
Flaccomania

PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2014 10:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I guess I don't get all the praise here. I mean, sure, it's a pretty good deal -- but Jordy, IMO, is a top 8-12 type WR. And he just signed an extension that puts him at an average of $9.75m/year, which in years of yearly averages, puts him 8th in the league at the WR position.

I mean, sure, he may have been able to get a bit more on the open market -- but at $9.75m per, I guess I don't see it as being a large discount by any means. In fact, I think it's pretty fair. It puts him right behind Brandon Marshall and right there with Andre Johnson, and slightly ahead of Victor Cruz. I think that's just about right spot for him, personally. The guaranteed portion I could see being a steal, but for a 4 year deal for a player his age and production, I guess I don't see that as being a big deal either way -- IMO, he's likely to play it out.

SnA ExclusiVe wrote:

If a police officer offered me a warning, no, I would not take it.
TomRalph

PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2014 10:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kal-El wrote:
Very happy about this. Had both Jordy and (AJ) Green in fantasy last season and their production was just about identical before A-Rod went down. This extension is well-deserved.

No one gives a crap about your fantasy team bro.

Adopt-a-Patriot '14: Danny Amendola Status: Being Severely Underutilised

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> NFL News All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4

Jump to: