Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

English, Divorce, Running game and Romo
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Dallas Cowboys
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Matts4313

PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2014 1:09 pm    Post subject: English, Divorce, Running game and Romo Reply with quote

Quote:
OXNARD, Calif. – The Cowboys have already acquired three former first-round picks this offseason, just to see if they’ve got anything left in the tank.

In fact, the Cowboys actually had a fourth former first-rounder at the Oxnard practice facility Thursday.

Although the club visited with recently-cut pass-rusher Larry English, the pass rusher who was recently waived by the Chargers, left the Cowboys’ training camp without signing.

The Cowboys were likely just doing their due diligence in visiting with English, who was able to drive up from the San Diego area.

http://www.dallascowboys.com/news/article-NickEatman/Cowboys-Visit-With-English-Pass-Rusher-Leaves-Unsigned-/6737aae9-4c2b-4e7c-99a2-627a38082932

Quote:
Orton’s release came after he spent a few days in Dallas about two weeks ago visiting with club officials, Wilson said.

“Within the last couple of weeks, I was told that Kyle was wanting to come back now and was going to show up to training camp,” Wilson said. “They decided not to bring him back. But he did intend on coming to camp.”

No one seems to really know what Orton’s mindset was this offseason as he tried to decide whether to retire from the NFL or come back and play again. That’s because he wasn’t communicating with club officials, for the most part.

That included Wilson, who was close to Orton. Wilson played a big role in the Chicago Bears drafting Orton in 2005 and a big role in the Cowboys signing Orton in 2012. Wilson was the Bears’ quarterbacks coach Orton’s first two seasons in Chicago and has been Orton’s quarterbacks coach the last two years in Dallas.

Despite their long relationship, Orton cut off communication with Wilson this offseason as the Cowboys’ quarterbacks coach tried to figure out exactly what the team’s backup quarterback was thinking.

“He would not return my phone call or text throughout the whole spring,” Wilson said. “I talked to his agent [David Dunn] and he said, ‘Let’s just let it go and it would play out then.’ I’m assuming that he was going to retire up until a week ago, that he would possibly come back and play.

http://cowboysblog.dallasnews.com/2014/07/shedding-some-light-on-kyle-orton-divorce-cowboys-backup-qb-met-with-club-officials-in-dallas-a-few-weeks-ago-looked-in-great-shape.html/

Quote:
“All you have to do is turn on ESPN and three of the best games of the year were all us, losing at the end after we had good leads that we could have won. We win those three games I don't have to tell you what that means.”

Obviously, closing out games is something Jones wants to see improved. To do that, this team needs to be better at running the ball. And to do that, they need to be more commitment.

Jones said Thursday he expects both scenarios to occur.

“I think our offensive line is better than it was last year and I think we ran the ball pretty well last year,” Jones said. “I think we’ll run it better this year and I think there will be a bigger commitment to running it.”

http://www.dallascowboys.com/news/article-NickEatman/Stephen-Jones-We-Will-Be-Running-The-Ball-More/e9954189-c830-4e59-a260-874740535c5b

Quote:
These two opportunities were a nice test right out of the box because he was dealing with some off balance throws that tested his back. His first pass of the day was with a blitzing J.J. Wilcox in his face and snapped a nice slant to Dez Bryant on the left side. It was a throw that Romo really had to torque his body to make the throw. In the afternoon session, he came back with a touch pass to DeMarco Murray with Kyle Wilber in between them that was perfectly delivered over the top.

http://www.dallascowboys.com/news/article-BryanBroaddus/Scout%E2%80%99s-Notebook-Impressions-From-Thursday-Practice/30fdecba-8687-4c2c-92a9-972cb06671bf
htfryar

PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2014 1:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

God, it's nice actually having football stuff to talk about again. I sure hope they commitment to the running game actually happens. I'll believe it when I see it though.

Arkansas Razorback DE Trey Flowers 2014 Stat Tracker - 26 tackles, 4 TFL, 1 sack, 1 Forced Fumble, 3 Pass Break Ups
WizardHawk

PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2014 2:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
“All you have to do is turn on ESPN and three of the best games of the year were all us..."

Well, at least Dallas is winning the popularity contest still.

Kiltman on avy n' sig
George Selvie Fan Club
Texas_OutLaw7

Most Valuable Poster (6th Ballot)

FF Fanatic

PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2014 5:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

NFL on ESPN ‏@ESPNNFL 1m
Quote:
THIS JUST IN: The Bucs and former Pro Bowl G Carl Nicks have mutually agreed to part ways.

Nicks says he's stepping away from the game.

Crazy.

In Redball I Trust!
The price of progress is trusting the process.
Heart. Leadership. Passion. Will.
Dallas94Ware

PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2014 6:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

English is a bad fit. He's more the strong upper body type, who doesn't have that swift jump and relies on powerful hands, long arms and swively hips. Talented, but not the right guy for what we need. Figuring he left without a deal because he's looking for too much for what he'd be worth to our team.

Yes just like every coach, I do think I know everything.

Read the Football FAQ!
Matts4313

PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2014 6:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dallas94Ware wrote:
English is a bad fit. He's more the strong upper body type, who doesn't have that swift jump and relies on powerful hands, long arms and swively hips. Talented, but not the right guy for what we need. Figuring he left without a deal because he's looking for too much for what he'd be worth to our team.

Article says he left because he can't pass a physical.
The_Slamman

PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2014 8:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Matts4313 wrote:
Dallas94Ware wrote:

IDK... I'd probably go with the swively hips explanation. Physical Schmysical.

Northland

PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2014 9:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lets hope we come out of training camp without any serious injuries.
GeorgiaBoy367

PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2014 10:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

htfryar wrote:
God, it's nice actually having football stuff to talk about again. I sure hope they commitment to the running game actually happens. I'll believe it when I see it though.

I dont want to commit to the run game i just want to be able to do it when we need to. Theres no way our defense is going to give us the luxury of being a balanced team but if we can close out games with jamming it down thier throat I would be so happy

PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2014 10:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The_Slamman wrote:
Matts4313 wrote:
Dallas94Ware wrote:

If they wanted him, he'd have passed the physical. That's usually the case one way or the other.

Yes just like every coach, I do think I know everything.

Read the Football FAQ!
Matts4313

PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2014 11:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dallas94Ware wrote:
The_Slamman wrote:
Matts4313 wrote:
Dallas94Ware wrote:

If they wanted him, he'd have passed the physical. That's usually the case one way or the other.

Did you read the article?

He is like a month away from being able to sign anywhere. They did their due diligence, got to personally meet the guy. I *HIGHLY* doubt they were even able to work him out. Just more of an informal meeting, if you will.
WizardHawk

PostPosted: Sat Jul 26, 2014 1:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So Jordy Nelson signs deal worth $39m/4yrs, probably puts Dez in the $55m range over 4yrs.

Kiltman on avy n' sig
George Selvie Fan Club
htfryar

PostPosted: Sat Jul 26, 2014 1:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

WizardHawk wrote:
So Jordy Nelson signs deal worth $39m/4yrs, probably puts Dez in the $55m range over 4yrs.

That's a good deal for Jordy. Happy for him. Dez should get 44-48 million.

Arkansas Razorback DE Trey Flowers 2014 Stat Tracker - 26 tackles, 4 TFL, 1 sack, 1 Forced Fumble, 3 Pass Break Ups
Texas_OutLaw7

FF Fanatic

PostPosted: Sat Jul 26, 2014 3:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rowan Kavner ‏@KavnerDC 2m
Quote:
Ro. McClain: "(Jerry) called me from Turkey & I figured that had to be an expensive phone call...it was pretty serious w/ me from that pt"

...why...was Jerry in Turkey?

In Redball I Trust!
Texas_OutLaw7

FF Fanatic

PostPosted: Sat Jul 26, 2014 3:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In Redball I Trust!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Dallas Cowboys All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: