Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Ray Rice Suspension
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Pittsburgh Steelers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ggross21

PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2014 1:29 pm    Post subject: Ray Rice Suspension Reply with quote

So the reports are out that he is going to be suspended for 2 games. Not that I am surprised at all, but does anyone else find it a little frustrating that Ben was suspended for twice as long for something he was only accused of and never proven guilt of?

While Ray Rice was videotaped punching a woman in the face and knocking her out cold. Not to mention players using adderall, marijuana, various other drugs get a first time offense suspension of 4 games. I understand there is no even scale here for correlation between violation of the NFL policy and suspension, but something seems very out of whack here.
JDLefebvre

PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2014 2:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Expected this to come up. Let it go. I see your point but it does no good to get frustrated about this.

thanks El ramster

KCCO!!!
oderint dum metuant
FourThreeMafia

PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2014 3:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not even worth getting into.

It is what it is.

The double standards Goodell has had throughout his tenure are well known, but its not worth dwelling on.
CKSteeler

PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2014 2:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

James Harrison said it best. I wouldn't [inappropriate/removed] on the man if he were on fire.
wwhickok

PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2014 6:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

All I'm going to say is the supsension is a joke. Gordon is getting suspended for a year for 'hurting himself' and Rice is getting suspended for 2 friggin games for hurting someone else.

Karma is a ...well you know how that goes, he'll get his..something tells me he's going to have an unhealthy season.

Sig courtesy of IDOG

PSN (PS3) -- wwhickok
jebrick

PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2014 7:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think people will remember this when the NFL makes everyone wear pink for the women.

"You build with draft choices. You find people with talents adaptable to your plans and then you teach them to do things the way we do them." - Chuck Noll
SteelProven

PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2014 7:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's rough for me as a Steelers fan as I've witnessed the full wrath of what RG is capable of and this doesn't sit well.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2014 7:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I think people will remember this when the NFL makes everyone wear pink for the women.

^^^Well put, hope so.

Thanks Lyasr 529
JDLefebvre

PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2014 1:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SMashMouthMike wrote:
Quote:

^^^Well put, hope so.

As far as I know the NFL doesn't force anyone to wear pink... I could be wrong but think it is up to the players. Some wear more than others. Anyway, not pertinent to the discussion.

thanks El ramster

KCCO!!!
oderint dum metuant
FourThreeMafia

PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2014 2:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wwhickok wrote:
All I'm going to say is the supsension is a joke. Gordon is getting suspended for a year for 'hurting himself' and Rice is getting suspended for 2 friggin games for hurting someone else.

Karma is a ...well you know how that goes, he'll get his..something tells me he's going to have an unhealthy season.

Rice shouldve been suspended longer, but Gordon didnt get suspended a year for hurting himself, he got suspended for REPEATEDLY violating a rule. Doesnt really matter what that rule was....Gordon was suspended for being an idiot and breaking that rule multiple times.

The funniest thing about this is certain idiot Ratbird fans acting like this suspension is just, yet were whining that Tomlin shouldve been suspended like 4 games for stepping on the field. Not ALL of them...just a select few that are too stupid or blind to see their own hypocrisy....or they do see it and dont really care.

Yes...4 games for stepping on the field, yet 2 games is okay for a piece of trash woman beater like Rice.

Good one.
BenderRodriguez

Location: #SteelerNation-We have six Lombardie's and you don't. Haters Hate
PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2014 3:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

To quote Mike Tomlin, It is what it is.

BIG BEN 122/177 68.9 comp % 1365 yds 7tds 2int 100.1 QB Rating Yeah that's not MVP @ all
Quote:
LE'VEON BELL TRACKER
688 Total Yards
460 yds Rushing 1 td
228 yards receiving (9.5 yard avg)
jebrick

PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2014 4:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

FourThreeMafia wrote:
wwhickok wrote:

Rice shouldve been suspended longer, but Gordon didnt get suspended a year for hurting himself, he got suspended for REPEATEDLY violating a rule. Doesnt really matter what that rule was....Gordon was suspended for being an idiot and breaking that rule multiple times.

The funniest thing about this is certain idiot Ratbird fans acting like this suspension is just, yet were whining that Tomlin shouldve been suspended like 4 games for stepping on the field. Not ALL of them...just a select few that are too stupid or blind to see their own hypocrisy....or they do see it and dont really care.

Yes...4 games for stepping on the field, yet 2 games is okay for a piece of trash woman beater like Rice.

Good one.

you can not compare Rice with anyone suspended for Banned Substances. That policy is laid down in the CBA and everyone knows what will happen to you when you get caught. You can only compare Rice with Big Ben and PacMan Jones and Daryl Washington. Not sure if anyone else was "suspended" over the conduct clause.

"You build with draft choices. You find people with talents adaptable to your plans and then you teach them to do things the way we do them." - Chuck Noll
wwhickok

PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2014 6:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think you guys misunderstood my point but maybe I portrayed it incorrectly. I wasn't comparing the two 'violations' really however I was suggesting that while I absolutely agree with the year suspension of Gordon for repeat violations. I feel like Rices 'incident' was very worse than a substance abuse issue and should have weighed more heavily than an INITIAL substance abuse suspension (albeit that isn't what Gordon is facing).

To your guys' points you're absolutely right in your comparisons.

Sig courtesy of IDOG

PSN (PS3) -- wwhickok
CKSteeler

PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2014 6:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

you can not compare Rice with anyone suspended for Banned Substances. That policy is laid down in the CBA and everyone knows what will happen to you when you get caught. You can only compare Rice with Big Ben and PacMan Jones and Daryl Washington. Not sure if anyone else was "suspended" over the conduct clause.

While it's true the CBA lays out those punishments, the NFL negotiated for those penalties. That's what they wanted.

So, the question is, if we are using common sense, shouldn't Fuhrer Goodell consider the other sorts of penalties dished out when deciding on player conduct?

My own personal view will always be that it's moronic to suspend guys for off the field stuff. It's double jeopardy. I'm in the minority there. But if it's going to happen, it would be nice if it at least made sense.
FourThreeMafia

PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2014 6:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jebrick wrote:
FourThreeMafia wrote:
wwhickok wrote:

Good one.

That was pretty much my point.

Two unrelated incidents, and the substance abuse stuff has clear cut rules.

However, I still think Rice shouldve gotten AT LEAST 4 games.

And not sure how he can be compared to Big Ben when Ben was never actually CHARGED or PROVEN guilty. Dont get me wrong, I get wasnt charged for the actual crime he was accused of, but if you cant compare Rice to Gordon, you cant really compare him to Ben either. Perhaps the same time of accusation but thats where it begins and ends.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Pittsburgh Steelers All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: