Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Falcons WR Roddy White agrees to extension
Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Superman(DH23)

PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2014 8:33 am    Post subject: Re: Falcons WR Roddy White agrees to extension Reply with quote

FalconFan13 wrote:
Ketchup wrote:
DontTazeMeBro wrote:
Quote:
The Atlanta Falcons and veteran wide receiver Roddy White have agreed to terms on a four-year contract extension that runs through the 2018 season, the team announced Thursday.

The deal is worth up to $30 million, including $18 million over the next two seasons, a source told ESPN NFL Insider Adam Schefter.

http://espn.go.com/nfl/trainingcamp14/story/_/id/11257125/roddy-white-atlanta-falcons-agree-4-year-contract-extension

This doesn't make any sense to me. Turns 33 in November. Declining. Harry Douglas impressed when he got his chance.
Why do you say he's declining. Once he finally got healthy towards the end of last year, He looked like his old self again. Over the last 5 games of the year he went off for 502 yards on 43 catches. The only "declining" he went through last year was him not being healthy but gutting through it early in the season.

However, I do agree that that seems like a lot of years for a WR that is already 32.

I think it was done to ensure roddy stay a falcon for life for what he has done for us. Roddy even at 35 and 36 will still be a good possession reciever and he won't make anywhere near as much then as he does now. Since the bulk of the contract is up front that means if he still plays good he can eanr the max 30 if he doesn't hit the escalators he might only see 26 to 27 of it. So if 18 of it is paid the next 2 years then thats 8 to 12 mil over the last 2 years. 4 to 6 mil a year isn't too bad for a really good possession receiver like roddy and it sets up well to give julio a big contract next year. The man has done alot for us and im ok with us paying him for his services and retire a falcon. It's getting rarer to see someone spend their whole career with 1 team.
How did nobody catch this before me? The only thing Roddy is going to be receiving at 35 and 36 is his NFL Pension. Why don't people realize how rare of a thing it is for WR to play past 34, let alone play well.

2013 Bears Forum Mike Ditka Award Winner
2014 Adopt-A-Bear Alshon Jeffery
wwhickok

PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2014 10:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

shotgundraw wrote:
They don't have "quality depth" per se (I can't think of any team that has, I agree with you on that).

Today the standard NFL line-up is 11 personnel (51,2% of plays in 2013), so depth start at the WR #4.
That's Devin Hester in ATL I think, I'd hardly call that quality depth. Although I guess compared to the rest of the league they might be better.

So I started writing this kinda disagreeing with but I end up being kinda ok with you Laughing

You're not wrong on that, I guess I was sort of talking about the Top 3 guys on the team, Douglas isn't amazing but he's shown some positive stuff for them.

There's teams like Cleveland who basically have nothing at the position at all.

Sig courtesy of IDOG

PSN (PS3) -- wwhickok
FalconFan13

PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2014 1:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Falcons WR Roddy White agrees to extension Reply with quote

Superman(DH23) wrote:
FalconFan13 wrote:
Ketchup wrote:
DontTazeMeBro wrote:
Quote:
The Atlanta Falcons and veteran wide receiver Roddy White have agreed to terms on a four-year contract extension that runs through the 2018 season, the team announced Thursday.

The deal is worth up to $30 million, including $18 million over the next two seasons, a source told ESPN NFL Insider Adam Schefter.

http://espn.go.com/nfl/trainingcamp14/story/_/id/11257125/roddy-white-atlanta-falcons-agree-4-year-contract-extension

This doesn't make any sense to me. Turns 33 in November. Declining. Harry Douglas impressed when he got his chance.
Why do you say he's declining. Once he finally got healthy towards the end of last year, He looked like his old self again. Over the last 5 games of the year he went off for 502 yards on 43 catches. The only "declining" he went through last year was him not being healthy but gutting through it early in the season.

However, I do agree that that seems like a lot of years for a WR that is already 32.

I think it was done to ensure roddy stay a falcon for life for what he has done for us. Roddy even at 35 and 36 will still be a good possession reciever and he won't make anywhere near as much then as he does now. Since the bulk of the contract is up front that means if he still plays good he can eanr the max 30 if he doesn't hit the escalators he might only see 26 to 27 of it. So if 18 of it is paid the next 2 years then thats 8 to 12 mil over the last 2 years. 4 to 6 mil a year isn't too bad for a really good possession receiver like roddy and it sets up well to give julio a big contract next year. The man has done alot for us and im ok with us paying him for his services and retire a falcon. It's getting rarer to see someone spend their whole career with 1 team.
How did nobody catch this before me? The only thing Roddy is going to be receiving at 35 and 36 is his NFL Pension. Why don't people realize how rare of a thing it is for WR to play past 34, let alone play well.

I dunno man i just see him steve smith and Boldin as guys who don't require tons of athleticism to get theirs as their routes are extremly clean and they know how to get open so i could see them playing to 34 or 35 and still putting up solid numbers. Maybe nothing like 85 and 1200 but i could see 60 to 70 and 800 to 900 which still isn't to bad for a #2.

Smith 1,174 and 750 yards at age 34 and 35 Boldin had 1000 at age 33. At age 32 Roddy hasn't really slowed down much at all yet and has only had 1 injury really that he came back at the end of the year last year showing the same roddy we are use to seeing.
FalconFan13

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2014 10:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

finally got the real numbers for Roddy's contract out it took em a little bit.

Base value of Roddy White's deal is four years, $23M. There are $8.5M in escalators that can push total value as high as $31.5M if he hits them all.

2015:5.5 mil cap hit
2016:6.1 mil cap hit
2017:6.3 mil cap hit

The escalators that kick in are for 80+ and 90+ catches each year each one he reaches will get a escalator kick in. So if he performs like a top 10 WR he gets paid around 8 mil a year over the next 4 years if he drops in production then he gets paid like 5 to 6 mil a year.

Overall i don't think that is to terrible at all.
coors

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2014 1:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rowdy Roddy forever and always to be a Dirty Bird.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> NFL News All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: