Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Falcons WR Roddy White agrees to extension
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
DontTazeMeBro

PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2014 12:47 pm    Post subject: Falcons WR Roddy White agrees to extension Reply with quote

Quote:
The Atlanta Falcons and veteran wide receiver Roddy White have agreed to terms on a four-year contract extension that runs through the 2018 season, the team announced Thursday.

The deal is worth up to $30 million, including $18 million over the next two seasons, a source told ESPN NFL Insider Adam Schefter.

http://espn.go.com/nfl/trainingcamp14/story/_/id/11257125/roddy-white-atlanta-falcons-agree-4-year-contract-extension

This doesn't make any sense to me. Turns 33 in November. Declining. Harry Douglas impressed when he got his chance.

SnA ExclusiVe wrote:
1/10. Not a fan[of C.J. Mosley]. Just another future failed Alabama product.
Ketchup

PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2014 1:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Falcons WR Roddy White agrees to extension Reply with quote

DontTazeMeBro wrote:
Quote:
The Atlanta Falcons and veteran wide receiver Roddy White have agreed to terms on a four-year contract extension that runs through the 2018 season, the team announced Thursday.

The deal is worth up to $30 million, including $18 million over the next two seasons, a source told ESPN NFL Insider Adam Schefter.

http://espn.go.com/nfl/trainingcamp14/story/_/id/11257125/roddy-white-atlanta-falcons-agree-4-year-contract-extension

This doesn't make any sense to me. Turns 33 in November. Declining. Harry Douglas impressed when he got his chance.
Why do you say he's declining. Once he finally got healthy towards the end of last year, He looked like his old self again. Over the last 5 games of the year he went off for 502 yards on 43 catches. The only "declining" he went through last year was him not being healthy but gutting through it early in the season.

However, I do agree that that seems like a lot of years for a WR that is already 32.

Kempes on the custom sig!
BeeperKing

PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2014 1:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Falcons WR Roddy White agrees to extension Reply with quote

DontTazeMeBro wrote:
Quote:

He's not declining, he was playing last year on an injury and was back to his old self once he got healthy.

And Harry Douglas only got 1000 yards because he was the only receiver out there for a while. He's nothing more than a #3 WR who cost us a SB berth.

Foster a Falcon '14: Julio Jones
FakingInjuries wrote:

Without those elite targets, [Matt Ryan] is in the same tier as Matt Cassell.
FalconFan13

PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2014 1:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Falcons WR Roddy White agrees to extension Reply with quote

Ketchup wrote:
DontTazeMeBro wrote:
Quote:

Why do you say he's declining. Once he finally got healthy towards the end of last year, He looked like his old self again. Over the last 5 games of the year he went off for 502 yards on 43 catches. The only "declining" he went through last year was him not being healthy but gutting through it early in the season.

However, I do agree that that seems like a lot of years for a WR that is already 32.

I think it was done to ensure roddy stay a falcon for life for what he has done for us. Roddy even at 35 and 36 will still be a good possession reciever and he won't make anywhere near as much then as he does now. Since the bulk of the contract is up front that means if he still plays good he can eanr the max 30 if he doesn't hit the escalators he might only see 26 to 27 of it. So if 18 of it is paid the next 2 years then thats 8 to 12 mil over the last 2 years. 4 to 6 mil a year isn't too bad for a really good possession receiver like roddy and it sets up well to give julio a big contract next year. The man has done alot for us and im ok with us paying him for his services and retire a falcon. It's getting rarer to see someone spend their whole career with 1 team.
GSUeagles14

PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2014 4:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Falcons WR Roddy White agrees to extension Reply with quote

DontTazeMeBro wrote:
Quote:

I don't mean this too sound harsh but I can't think of a way to say it that doesn't come off to me. Anyway, it probably would make more sense if you knew what you were talking about. He played most of the year with an ankle injury, when it healed his production went way, way up. Haven't seen the guaranteed money yet but first thought is that this is a good deal.

Hd is not a #1/2 long term, even though he filled in nicely.
sdrawkcab321

PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2014 5:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's a lot of money for an aging receiver. But I guess they really didnt have an option

X_Factor_40

PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2014 6:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Falcons WR Roddy White agrees to extension Reply with quote

Ketchup wrote:
DontTazeMeBro wrote:
Quote:

I agree with everything you said, and that's basically what I was going to say until I ran into your post.

He is getting older, but he's staying in great shape and until last year he was as consistent as they come. I think the extension is well earned and for a decent number of years. He may fall off in his last year or so depending on how his body holds up, but what will you expect at that point? Even if he just turns into a #3 possession receiver type guy he's still an asset in the NFL. I'd gladly take him on the Lions.
skaterbirdhouse

PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2014 6:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Declining or not it's a lot of money for a 33 year old receiver. I always like White though and will enjoy watching him play for the Falcons for, hopefully, the rest of his career.
NormSizedMidget

PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2014 6:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What the guy said to Jeter during his first at bat at the All Star game this year.

To test the theory though I'll probably need 50+ grand at least for equipment
incognito_man

PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2014 7:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sdrawkcab321 wrote:
That's a lot of money for an aging receiver. But I guess they really didnt have an option

Laughing
JaguarCrazy2832

PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2014 10:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I love Roddy White but I'm surprised the extension is so long but if its up to 30, odds are some of the stipulations he wont reach

PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2014 4:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

JaguarCrazy2832 wrote:
I love Roddy White but I'm surprised the extension is so long but if its up to 30, odds are some of the stipulations he wont reach

Roddy talked to epsn about his contract it's a catches per year escalator so performance based. in 2017 and 2018 he gets 2 mil a year added if he catches 80 balls and 3 mil a year added if he catches 90 to 100.

So he is def. gonna have to be putting in work to get that 30 mil. If he only does like 60 yo 75 catches a year which still wouldn't be terrible he will only make like 4 yrs 24 mil over the life of the contract.
shotgundraw

PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2014 4:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

JaguarCrazy2832 wrote:
I'm surprised the extension is so long

I don't know if the whole detail is out yet, but we always have to look at how the deal is constructed.
Maybe they can cut him w/o dead money or very little after just 2 years ...

Guaranteed money and when it'll be paid are really the only thing that matter. Remember Mickael Vick's "6y, $100M contract" ?
wwhickok

PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2014 6:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

With so many teams, even good ones, having issues at WR, they were smart to lock up a good one. Think about it, there are a lot of teams around the league that have a serious lack of quality depth at the position; Atlanta isn't one of them.

Sig courtesy of IDOG

PSN (PS3) -- wwhickok
shotgundraw

PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2014 6:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

They don't have "quality depth" per se (I can't think of any team that has, I agree with you on that).

Today the standard NFL line-up is 11 personnel (51,2% of plays in 2013), so depth start at the WR #4.
That's Devin Hester in ATL I think, I'd hardly call that quality depth. Although I guess compared to the rest of the league they might be better.

So I started writing this kinda disagreeing with but I end up being kinda ok with you Laughing

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> NFL News All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: