Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

 FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Lawrence Timmons taking on Leadership Role
Goto page 1, 2  Next
 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Pittsburgh Steelers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
turtle28


Joined: 21 Nov 2007
Posts: 63228
Location: MD/DC/VA depends on the hr!
PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2014 9:47 am    Post subject: Lawrence Timmons taking on Leadership Role Reply with quote

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2014/07/22/lawrence-timmons-taking-on-leadership-role-with-steelers/

Lawrence Timmons taking on Leadership Role

Quote:
“I do feel like I have to do a lot for this team. With me being one of the older guys, I understand that if everybody does their job, everyone is going to make plays,” Timmons said, via the Pittsburgh Tribune-Review. “I want to be a model citizen for this team because we’re very young now. I can’t get carried away with having a good time because everyone, especially the young guys, have to know there’s a time and place for everything. It’s why I do the things I do and why I carry myself a certain way.”


Sounds like a good thing, let's hope he can be a leader for Shazier and help him develop
_________________
RIP SSFmike23md
Quote:
Adopt-a-Redskin: Brian Orakpo: 6 tackles, 1, 5 QB hurries
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
wwhickok


Joined: 27 Nov 2012
Posts: 12870
Location: Montgomery, PA aka Steeler Nation!
PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2014 11:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's great to hear Timmons stepping up to the plate to take on Farriors 'leadership role'. We lack leadership in the defense and I like Timmons a lot. I wish he'd play a bit better at times but I like him a ton as a player. He might just be the leader we need.
_________________


Sig courtesy of IDOG

PSN (PS3) -- wwhickok
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
SteelProven


Moderator
Joined: 20 Apr 2005
Posts: 11888
Location: Ramstein, Germany
PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2014 2:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some players are born to lead, while others are thrust into leadership roles. I wouldn't call Ben much of a leader, but his demeanor on the filed makes the offense run through walls for him.

Timmons just has to be the great player we all know and expect. Once that is shown and understood players will fall in line.
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
FourThreeMafia


Joined: 28 Sep 2006
Posts: 49729
Location: East of Sixburgh
PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2014 4:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Taking on a leadership role and actually excelling in that role are two very different things.

I hope he can handle it...but its very much wait and see. From what Ive seen (and obviously its limited so thats why I wont judge), he has never really been a vocal type of player, and his play on the field usually isnt indicative of a field general, so it will be a pleasant surprise if he actually fills that role well.

I could see Shazier filling that role in a few years....but first he has to convince me he can actually be an NFL starter.
_________________
SCPackersFan wrote:
I hold nothing against blue-collar people and I respect/admire them for doing what they do.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Dook


Joined: 10 Dec 2006
Posts: 2054
PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2014 6:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Think Timmons might just be on his last contract with us.

If ILB Shazier works out, which he will, he can move over to Timmons spot and then Zumwalt can start. Not resigning Timmons will help our salary cap too.

Timmons is all athlete but not enough smarts.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
SteelProven


Moderator
Joined: 20 Apr 2005
Posts: 11888
Location: Ramstein, Germany
PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2014 2:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I want to know how so many people know the level of Timmons football acumen. Please produce some tangible evidence to back of this claim and not some opinionated laced post. I'm not saying Timmons is the football version of Chris Langan, but c'mon.

The game is about speed and believe it or not Timmons still is a very fast ILB. The addition of Shazier makes them even faster and gives the Steelers more possibilities to stay in their base defense.

Quote:
"I don’t like to play rookies because defensive football there’s two things that can get you beat. One of them is missed tackles. The other one is mental mistakes. Normally when you try to learn this defense it’s going to take you a little while to do it. He understands concepts and picks things up a little bit easier than most rookies. I think Lawrence Timmons will help him and some of the other guys will help him learn to run this defense. We don’t have a choice whether we can play him or not. We’ve got to play him and we’ve got to be faster and we’ve got to win.” – linebackers coach Keith Butler on rookie inside linebacker Ryan Shazier

_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Dook


Joined: 10 Dec 2006
Posts: 2054
PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2014 4:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When you see the perfect defensive play called, Timmons hitting the gap and running right by the RB with the ball, the RB just steps aside and lets Timmons go by then breaks through the gap for a large gain, it makes you wonder how smart the guy is. Not once, but time and again. Timmons will, at least, reach out with his hand for the RB but then continue on to no man's land.

I never played in the NFL but where exactly do they teach the hand tackle?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
SteelProven


Moderator
Joined: 20 Apr 2005
Posts: 11888
Location: Ramstein, Germany
PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2014 5:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dook wrote:
When you see the perfect defensive play called, Timmons hitting the gap and running right by the RB with the ball, the RB just steps aside and lets Timmons go by then breaks through the gap for a large gain, it makes you wonder how smart the guy is. Not once, but time and again. Timmons will, at least, reach out with his hand for the RB but then continue on to no man's land.

I never played in the NFL but where exactly do they teach the hand tackle?


What game was this?

I've seen Timmons miss tackles because all players miss tackles.

Timmons has some faults which keep him from being "elite" but I don't think intelligence is one of them. There isn't a player on the Steelers defense with more responsibility than Timmons. The Steelers trust him and while he does miss tackles and make bad reads. I'd venture to say he makes more splash plays than he misses tackles.
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
FourThreeMafia


Joined: 28 Sep 2006
Posts: 49729
Location: East of Sixburgh
PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2014 6:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SteelProven wrote:
I want to know how so many people know the level of Timmons football acumen. Please produce some tangible evidence to back of this claim and not some opinionated laced post. I'm not saying Timmons is the football version of Chris Langan, but c'mon.

The game is about speed and believe it or not Timmons still is a very fast ILB. The addition of Shazier makes them even faster and gives the Steelers more possibilities to stay in their base defense.

Quote:
"I don’t like to play rookies because defensive football there’s two things that can get you beat. One of them is missed tackles. The other one is mental mistakes. Normally when you try to learn this defense it’s going to take you a little while to do it. He understands concepts and picks things up a little bit easier than most rookies. I think Lawrence Timmons will help him and some of the other guys will help him learn to run this defense. We don’t have a choice whether we can play him or not. We’ve got to play him and we’ve got to be faster and we’ve got to win.” – linebackers coach Keith Butler on rookie inside linebacker Ryan Shazier


You really are blinded by your homerism.

Sorry, its pretty evident watching him blow assignments regularly and the fact that he isnt fully trusted with the green dot that his "football acumen" isnt exactly where you want a starters to be. Thats not opinion, thats fact you choose to constantly ignore. Please stop acting like you need proof when its been thrown in your face multiple times, and yet you ask for it again every time like

keth has done break downs and there have been multiple other examples have been pointed out, and still you remain blissfully ignorant.

I dont even care anymore. Someone else can point it out. Im not going to waste my time providing examples when you have proven you will just ignore them anyway.

And for the final record...I have nothing against Timmons. He is a solid/sometimes great/sometimes mediocre player who shows flashes of greatness but then turns around and does something a rookie shouldnt do.

2010 and 2012 Timmons were damn good.

Every other year he has been okay at best. Most of 2013 he wasnt even starter quality....then again most of our defensive players werent.
_________________
SCPackersFan wrote:
I hold nothing against blue-collar people and I respect/admire them for doing what they do.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
BlaqOptic


Joined: 14 Feb 2007
Posts: 31893
PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2014 9:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The hate is strong in this thread... Same people who will nut ride if he plays like '10 or '12 again.
_________________
Ketchup on 7/24/14 wrote:
I would cut off my legs if Rodgers threw 20 interceptions.



Trust in the 4Bs: Ben, Bell, Blount and Brown!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address
FourThreeMafia


Joined: 28 Sep 2006
Posts: 49729
Location: East of Sixburgh
PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2014 10:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BlaqOptic wrote:
The hate is strong in this thread... Same people who will nut ride if he plays like '10 or '12 again.


Its not hate at all.

Just a discussion Im tired of having with certain posters, especially when it always goes the same way.

And no....I wont "nut ride" him unless he is able to strings together consecutive quality seasons. Ill give him credit if he has a 2014 season like 2010 or 2012, but I cettainly wont "nut ride" him as you are suggesting. Maybe you have low standards and youre happy with a player that only plays at a high level every other game, every other year....but Im not.....especially when we are playing him like he is a top ILB in this league...but in reality, isnt.

And for the record Blaq, I know you dont have low standards for the players, but Im not going to give high praise to a player unless they consistently play at a high level. Its the same reason I never "nut rode" Ike Taylor like many Steeler fans did.
_________________
SCPackersFan wrote:
I hold nothing against blue-collar people and I respect/admire them for doing what they do.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
SteelProven


Moderator
Joined: 20 Apr 2005
Posts: 11888
Location: Ramstein, Germany
PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2014 12:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

FourThreeMafia wrote:
SteelProven wrote:
I want to know how so many people know the level of Timmons football acumen. Please produce some tangible evidence to back of this claim and not some opinionated laced post. I'm not saying Timmons is the football version of Chris Langan, but c'mon.

The game is about speed and believe it or not Timmons still is a very fast ILB. The addition of Shazier makes them even faster and gives the Steelers more possibilities to stay in their base defense.

Quote:
"I don’t like to play rookies because defensive football there’s two things that can get you beat. One of them is missed tackles. The other one is mental mistakes. Normally when you try to learn this defense it’s going to take you a little while to do it. He understands concepts and picks things up a little bit easier than most rookies. I think Lawrence Timmons will help him and some of the other guys will help him learn to run this defense. We don’t have a choice whether we can play him or not. We’ve got to play him and we’ve got to be faster and we’ve got to win.” – linebackers coach Keith Butler on rookie inside linebacker Ryan Shazier


You really are blinded by your homerism.

Sorry, its pretty evident watching him blow assignments regularly and the fact that he isnt fully trusted with the green dot that his "football acumen" isnt exactly where you want a starters to be. Thats not opinion, thats fact you choose to constantly ignore. Please stop acting like you need proof when its been thrown in your face multiple times, and yet you ask for it again every time like

keth has done break downs and there have been multiple other examples have been pointed out, and still you remain blissfully ignorant.

I dont even care anymore. Someone else can point it out. Im not going to waste my time providing examples when you have proven you will just ignore them anyway.

And for the final record...I have nothing against Timmons. He is a solid/sometimes great/sometimes mediocre player who shows flashes of greatness but then turns around and does something a rookie shouldnt do.

2010 and 2012 Timmons were damn good.

Every other year he has been okay at best. Most of 2013 he wasnt even starter quality....then again most of our defensive players werent.



I'm a homer why wouldn't I be I'm posting in a Steelers forum.

There is really something wrong with you honestly. We go through this BS all the time it's like I should post some other way. We are different I chose to look at things completely different why should that matter to you? This is a message board and behind that keyboard of yours you act as if you're a GM and HC, well I'm a fan behind my keyboard.

For being half mediocre Timmons numbers some how stack up with the best ILBs. I just don't get how that is if he's half mediocre. Timmons biggest issue is that he didn't string together his best seasons and was healthy the entire time. So he's been the most watched Steelers because he's been playing the entire time.

So glad your done talking to me. Now I can get on with my life....good riddance
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
kethnaab


Joined: 05 Jan 2009
Posts: 9970
PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2014 1:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

FourThreeMafia wrote:
BlaqOptic wrote:
The hate is strong in this thread... Same people who will nut ride if he plays like '10 or '12 again.


Its not hate at all.

Just a discussion Im tired of having with certain posters, especially when it always goes the same way.


exactly.

it's 2014. It's an even year. He should be dominant. Smile
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
CKSteeler


Joined: 17 Mar 2013
Posts: 4029
PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2014 3:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not going to get into the typical spat on Timmons. He needed to make more splash plays last year for what he's paid, but he was among the least of the defenses problems. That's all I'll say on that.

On the leadership angle-I'm reminded of the "Jerome Bettis is in the best shape of his career stories!" the Pittsburgh media produced every off-season. Then you saw him and...he looked fatter than ever.

I'm pretty sure we've seen this same story on Timmons the last few off-seasons. Just like we've seen the Ben stories. And the Brown stories. It seems like every off-season we have the same players growing into the same 'leadership' roles. It hasn't meant much on the field.

I don't care who is the leader in the locker room. They need to win games. That takes talent.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
MightyJoeYoung


Joined: 03 Jun 2010
Posts: 2938
Location: Wakefield, England
PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2014 5:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

FourThreeMafia wrote:
BlaqOptic wrote:
The hate is strong in this thread... Same people who will nut ride if he plays like '10 or '12 again.
Just a discussion Im tired of having with certain posters, especially when it always goes the same way.

You know you don't HAVE to have the discussion every time don't you?
_________________


Thanks to Joe_is_the_best for the sig

"The King Stay the King"
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
Display posts from previous:   

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Pittsburgh Steelers All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum




Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group