Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Training Camp Battle - 5th WR
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Minnesota Vikings
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Who will get the grab the 5th WR spot?
Adam Thielen
75%
 75%  [ 25 ]
Rodney Smith
21%
 21%  [ 7 ]
Kain Colter
3%
 3%  [ 1 ]
Josh Cooper
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Other (Please state name in post)
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Total Votes : 33

vike daddy

Most Valuable Poster (2nd Ballot)

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2014 4:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SteelKing728 wrote:
Allthough seemingly unrealistic, I'd like to see our WR depth go as:

1) Patterson
2) Jennings
3) Wright
4) Thielen
5) Smith

But if we keep 6 WRs, it would likely mean Simpson takes the 4th spot and bumping down Thielen and Smith one spot respectively.

SteelKing728 wrote:
I'm hoping Smith and Thielen show enough for us to get let go of Simpson.

The expectation though would be for these two to be able to match Simpsons abilities (and skill in drawing in penalties) before we could even think of cutting Jerome.

something isn't making sense to me here...

Confused

if we only keep 5 wr's, then Simpson doesn't make the cut. because you hope Thielen and Smith would be better than Simpson and replace him.

but if we keep 6 wr's, Simpson makes the cut and is ranked better than Thielen and Smith.

so why wouldn't we keep Simpson any way if you feel he's head to head better than the other two?

Webmaster wrote:
Can we knock off all the nonsense and stick to football?
Sir Fobos

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2014 7:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SteelKing728 wrote:

1) Patterson
2) Jennings
3) Wright
4) Thielen
5) Smith

This would be my preference, but I think Simpson will make the roster and Thielen will get the #5 spot. Simpson has never impressed me and likely has little long term value. I want to see him replaced with either Smith or Thielen. Smith is an intriguing prospect who could become a nice deep threat, but he unfortunately has had very limited opportunities to showcase his abilities. If he is good enough to make the roster he would fill an immediate need in the deep game. Thielen seems to be a fan favorite who is getting significant reps and seems to have some versatility. If he can catch the ball I think he would be an upgrade over Simpson.
SteelKing728

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2014 1:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TENINCH wrote:
Smith was nothing special at FSU and I don't think he'll make the team unless they keep 6.

It would have been nice to see Greg Childs stay healthy and display his potential. I think Norv would have really liked him.

Not your typical Vikings anymore.
SteelKing728

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2014 1:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

vike daddy wrote:
SteelKing728 wrote:
Allthough seemingly unrealistic, I'd like to see our WR depth go as:

1) Patterson
2) Jennings
3) Wright
4) Thielen
5) Smith

But if we keep 6 WRs, it would likely mean Simpson takes the 4th spot and bumping down Thielen and Smith one spot respectively.

SteelKing728 wrote:
I'm hoping Smith and Thielen show enough for us to get let go of Simpson.

The expectation though would be for these two to be able to match Simpsons abilities (and skill in drawing in penalties) before we could even think of cutting Jerome.

something isn't making sense to me here...

Confused

if we only keep 5 wr's, then Simpson doesn't make the cut. because you hope Thielen and Smith would be better than Simpson and replace him.

but if we keep 6 wr's, Simpson makes the cut and is ranked better than Thielen and Smith.

so why wouldn't we keep Simpson any way if you feel he's head to head better than the other two?

hmm...I see. Thankyou for pointing that out.

Ok, then logically the list would look like:

1) Patterson
2) Jennings
3) Wright
4) Simpson
5) Thielen

and if we keep 6, Rodney Smith would take that spot.

Letting go of the way I want the roster to look, that list appears more realistic right now.

sorry about that. I let my Anti-Simpson agenda get in the way!

Not your typical Vikings anymore.
gatek99

PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2014 10:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

How is Eric Lora looking?

PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2014 10:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

gatek99 wrote:
How is Eric Lora looking?

Non-descript so far.
tonkavikes27

PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2014 11:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Early favorite has to be thielen. The HWS prospects of Rodney smith are intriguing, but I would say that thielens' chemistry with Bridgewater has given him the inside track this far.

Vikings Dream Draft:
1. Mack/Mosley
2. Joyner
3. Mettenberger
3. Billy Turner
4. Justin Ellis
vikingsrule

PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2014 12:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tonkavikes27 wrote:
Early favorite has to be thielen. The HWS prospects of Rodney smith are intriguing, but I would say that thielens' chemistry with Bridgewater has given him the inside track this far.

No reason why both cant make the team. Carrying 6 WRs would not be that unlikely.

Especially if MN opts to drop Felton and go with Ellison in two spots as the backup TE and FB.
Klomp

PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2014 12:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

vikingsrule wrote:
tonkavikes27 wrote:

No reason why both cant make the team. Carrying 6 WRs would not be that unlikely.

Especially with the possibility of Simpson's suspension looming
vikingsrule

PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2014 12:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Klomp wrote:
vikingsrule wrote:
tonkavikes27 wrote:

Especially with the possibility of Simpson's suspension looming

It might not even be a given that Simpson makes the team.
wcblack34

PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2014 12:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Simpson gets a lot of undue flak. It isn't like Smith and Thielen are locks to be 1000 yard receivers. Simpson helps extend the field in the passing game and has experience. I think that Turner can help Simpson become more productive. Simpson is also cheap. It's not like he's Chad Greenway, drawing a 7 million dollar salary to be one of the worst rated Linebackers in the game. Will Simpson become Andre Johnson? No. Is he a perfectly acceptable 3-4 WR? Absolutely.
Dolmonite26

PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2014 9:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wcblack34 wrote:
Simpson gets a lot of undue flak. It isn't like Smith and Thielen are locks to be 1000 yard receivers. Simpson helps extend the field in the passing game and has experience. I think that Turner can help Simpson become more productive. Simpson is also cheap. It's not like he's Chad Greenway, drawing a 7 million dollar salary to be one of the worst rated Linebackers in the game. Will Simpson become Andre Johnson? No. Is he a perfectly acceptable 3-4 WR? Absolutely.

Yeah i agree, there is a bit of an anit-simpson sentiment round here that, frankly, confuses me. As you said, he's not going to be a 1000 yrd receiver or anything, but he can be a very effective 3rd received who has shown that he can make some tough catches and draw some DPIs and can be a productive role player. Personally I like him and think he makes the talent at the position deeper.

And Twitter combusts in a ball of flaming radioactive dark matter creating a infinite black hole.
eaganfootball4

PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2014 9:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dolmonite26 wrote:
wcblack34 wrote:

Yeah i agree, there is a bit of an anit-simpson sentiment round here that, frankly, confuses me. As you said, he's not going to be a 1000 yrd receiver or anything, but he can be a very effective 3rd received who has shown that he can make some tough catches and draw some DPIs and can be a productive role player. Personally I like him and think he makes the talent at the position deeper.

Couldn't agree more. He's a pretty good 3rd wideout and a very good 4th one. Someone goes down to injury (Jennings/Patterson) we're going to be glad we have him... Which is the definition of a backup.
vikingsrule

PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2014 11:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wcblack34 wrote:

If Simpson continues to have a poor showing in camp as he has, why should he make the team based on last year? Simpson does not have special teams ability, which could hurt him if he can't be a top 4 WR on the depth chart.

If Thielen and Wright surpass Simpson on the depth chart, Smith likely gets that 5th spot due to special teams.

Im fine with Simpson as the #3 or #4 but he needs to start showing more in camp. Consistency has been his biggest downfall.
Dolmonite26

PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2014 11:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

vikingsrule wrote:
If Simpson continues to have a poor showing in camp as he has.

Who's say he's not doing well at camp?

And Twitter combusts in a ball of flaming radioactive dark matter creating a infinite black hole.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Minnesota Vikings All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: