Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Training Camp Battle - 5th WR
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Minnesota Vikings
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Who will get the grab the 5th WR spot?
Adam Thielen
75%
 75%  [ 25 ]
Rodney Smith
21%
 21%  [ 7 ]
Kain Colter
3%
 3%  [ 1 ]
Josh Cooper
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Other (Please state name in post)
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Total Votes : 33

disaacs

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2014 2:12 pm    Post subject: Training Camp Battle - 5th WR Reply with quote

It's largely thought that Greg Jennings, Cordarelle Patterson, Jarius Wright, and Jerome Simpson will be on the roster (although certainly not guaranteed), so who will be the next guy after that...likely getting the final WR spot, although they could certainly carry 6, it just depends. But, for the sake of the argument, we'll just keep it at 5.

The Candidates:

Adam Thielen - 2nd year out of Minnesota State

Rodney Smith - 2nd year out of Florida State

Kain Colter - Rookie out of Northwestern

Josh Cooper - 3rd year out of Oklahoma State

Others include Kamar Jorden, Erik Lora and Donte Foster

Thx to Uncle Buck!
Heimdallr

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2014 4:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I really like Thielen and thought he should have made it over Rodney Smith last year. He looked good last year in preseason and offers a bit more size than some of the other WRs.

It would be cool to have a small-school hometown kid on the roster.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2014 6:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Everything seems to indicate that Thielen has had an outstanding offseason. Slot WR will be an important position on our team going forward, considering Teddy's ability to hit the quick timing throws between the numbers. He could be a surprise pick to make the final 53.

Rodney Smith has the size/speed combo that is desired in an "X" WR which we lack, to be honest. He also has experience and proved that he can contribute on special teams. He's the favorite of the group.

Lora is the sleeper IMO. He's also a rather limited slot WR, but while the comparison is thrown around a lot, Lora does compare rather well to Wes Welker in terms of size, savvy, and pure receiving ability. He's even a better athlete. Tbh, Welker isn't that "special" and there were many NCAA WRs that could have gone to the league and done what he did, but it's all about opportunity. If Lora gets it, he could make a career. But based on pure ability, both Welker and Lora were rightly pegged as UDFAs.
Krauser

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2014 6:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jshowers wrote:
Rodney Smith has the size/speed combo that is desired in an "X" WR which we lack, to be honest.

Patterson's too small?

2" shorter than Smith but a 3" higher vertical, huge catch radius, faster and more explosive.
jshowers

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2014 7:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Krauser wrote:
jshowers wrote:
Rodney Smith has the size/speed combo that is desired in an "X" WR which we lack, to be honest.

Patterson's too small?

2" shorter than Smith but a 3" higher vertical, huge catch radius, faster and more explosive.

Patterson with a huge catch radius? Nah. And he's not a good contested catch guy at this point.

Patterson is more offensive weapon than "X" WR. Not that I don't think he will be an elite offensive weapon with developmental potential at WR. Still, I think he projects best as a guy that moves around and lines up both in the slot and on the outside.
vikingsrule

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2014 7:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rodney Smith seems like the prototype but Thielen seems to be getting a lot of attention, could just be due to the fact that he is from Minnesota. I like Smith's size, could he be our Malcom Floyd?
Krauser

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2014 7:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jshowers wrote:
Patterson with a huge catch radius? Nah. And he's not a good contested catch guy at this point.

The sports science people had his catch radius bigger than Gronkowski's.

I posted screenshots of almost all of his 2013 targets on the Patterson thread, his catch radius is excellent in real life.

He did lose out on one contested catch in the Eagles game and had a drop in tight coverage in the Bengals game. But a significant number of his catches otherwise were difficult and/or contested, including the back shoulder TDs (Eagles game, Lions game) and most of his downfield catches.

The fact is that the coaches didn't play him much, the QBs didn't target him much except on screens and short passes (some of that being Patterson's fault for struggling to get open, but he was doing pretty well on that front by the end of the year), and when they threw to him downfield, their accuracy was terrible.

Given his targets, there wasn't much more that you could ask Patterson to do, probably 4-5 plays that were either clear drops or contested balls that he could've been expected to come up with. Balance that against the catches he did make and I think he did pretty well as an actual WR even as a rookie, given very limited opportunities.

jshowers wrote:
Patterson is more offensive weapon than "X" WR. Not that I don't think he will be an elite offensive weapon with developmental potential at WR. Still, I think he projects best as a guy that moves around and lines up both in the slot and on the outside.

He's probably good enough to play either role, or both. The fact that he's so good as an OW means they should move him around, but I think he'd produce quite a bit even as a full time split end.

Jerome Simpson will play the X role when Patterson moves elsewhere, so I don't think Rodney Smith will see much of the field unless there's an injury.
jshowers

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2014 7:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

vikingsrule wrote:
Rodney Smith seems like the prototype but Thielen seems to be getting a lot of attention, could just be due to the fact that he is from Minnesota. I like Smith's size, could he be our Malcom Floyd?

Smith is almost identical to Floyd from a size/speed/athleticism standpoint.
vikingsrule

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2014 7:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jshowers wrote:
vikingsrule wrote:

I'd take Simpson out in the redzone and put Smith out wide.

Could be possible that MN carries 6 WRs.
Krauser

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2014 8:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

vikingsrule wrote:
jshowers wrote:
vikingsrule wrote:

I'd take Simpson out in the redzone and put Smith out wide.

Could be possible that MN carries 6 WRs.

That's a good idea, one of the problems with the offense last year is that Simpson and Wright offered nothing in the red zone.

And yet Musgrave kept Patterson on the bench in the red zone for the first half of the year. First ball he was thrown in the end zone was the TD vs Washington.
vikingsrule

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2014 8:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Patterson (6-2), Rudolph (6-6) and Smith (6-5) would certainly give MN some needed redzone height. Jennings could be that sneaky underneath outlet working the middle of the field.
SteelKing728

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2014 9:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Allthough seemingly unrealistic, I'd like to see our WR depth go as:

1) Patterson
2) Jennings
3) Wright
4) Thielen
5) Smith

But if we keep 6 WRs, it would likely mean Simpson takes the 4th spot and bumping down Thielen and Smith one spot respectively.

down but not out. I still believe!
vikingsrule

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2014 9:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

^ Where is Simpson?

He may not be a consistent threat but he is still a pretty good deep threat, who at least draws attention in the form of penalties. Given the vertical nature of Turner's offense, he may value a guy like Simpson.

Im not a big fan of him either, but he is cheap and is easily a top 4 WR on this team.
SteelKing728

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2014 11:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

vikingsrule wrote:
^ Where is Simpson?

He may not be a consistent threat but he is still a pretty good deep threat, who at least draws attention in the form of penalties. Given the vertical nature of Turner's offense, he may value a guy like Simpson.

Im not a big fan of him either, but he is cheap and is easily a top 4 WR on this team.

I'm hoping Smith and Thielen show enough for us to get let go of Simpson.

The expectation though would be for these two to be able to match Simpsons abilities (and skill in drawing in penalties) before we could even think of cutting Jerome.

down but not out. I still believe!
TENINCH

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2014 12:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Smith was nothing special at FSU and I don't think he'll make the team unless they keep 6.

"If I have to hurt some feelings I’m going to hurt some feelings. I don’t really care. Because my feelings are hurt, too." --Mike Zimmer

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Minnesota Vikings All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: