Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

What were your thoughts on Sanders as a Steeler?
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Pittsburgh Steelers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ThePrimeTime12

PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2014 7:57 pm    Post subject: What were your thoughts on Sanders as a Steeler? Reply with quote

Greetings Steelers fan, as a Broncos fan I am come in peace. I just wanted to ask you all what your thoughts are on Emmanuel Sanders. I am just curious since you Steelers fans have watched him play since he got into the league. I am curious on how his game is such as his strengths and weaknesses and how good you think he is and how well you thought he was utilized in Pittsburgh.

I liked the signing at first, but I am slowly starting to not like it and wondering whether he is even better than our own Andre Caldwell.

^^ Joe_is_the_best on the sig
wwhickok

PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2014 8:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

He has very nice speed, extremely inconsistent hands. Seems to lack focus at times. I think he can be a good WR for the Broncos but he will be a 'downgrade' from Decker imo

Sig courtesy of IDOG

PSN (PS3) -- wwhickok
FourThreeMafia

PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2014 9:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

His hands are not EXTREMELY inconsistent.

He just dropped passes at critical times this past season, so some exaggerate his issues. Its not like he dropped alot of passes....his drops were just bad drops....if that makes sense.

He is a good fit for the Broncos. As frustrating as he was last year, I did like him and wouldve liked to have kept him (even though I said differently after those dropped passes), but he was expendable.

Madden 25 Steelers Franchise
SteelProven

PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2014 12:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sanders isn't a #2 and would be help his team as the #3 WR. Sanders showed last year that he wasn't up to the task as a #2. Sanders was put in some tough spots last year and he couldn't consistently when the 50/50 battles he faced. As the #3 WR he doesn't have the added pressure and can take advantage of his run after catch and more real estate to operate his routes.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2014 6:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

FourThreeMafia wrote:
His hands are not EXTREMELY inconsistent.

He just dropped passes at critical times this past season, so some exaggerate his issues. Its not like he dropped alot of passes....his drops were just bad drops....if that makes sense.

He is a good fit for the Broncos. As frustrating as he was last year, I did like him and wouldve liked to have kept him (even though I said differently after those dropped passes), but he was expendable.

I think we'll have to agree to disagree there. He has dropped quite a few passes over his time with the Steelers; more so, many of the drops he had were catches that any average WR should easily be making, hence "inconsistent". It is unnerving to watch him make what should be a a tough catch to make and then drop one where he's wide open. Again, I think it's a lack of focus more than anything.

He'll be a good slot receiver, but since that's not what they're asking him to be in Denver, well..we shall see. He's got talent, frankly I think he's a better WR than Mike Wallace because unlike Wallace, he can run more than one route. But it just comes down to, can he focus and make the catches he needs to consistently, because to this point he hasn't proven that he can.

Sig courtesy of IDOG

PSN (PS3) -- wwhickok
Ward4HOF

PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2014 9:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I think he's a better WR than Mike Wallace because unlike Wallace, he can run more than one route. But it just comes down to, can he focus and make the catches he needs to consistently, because to this point he hasn't proven that he can.

No, no, no, my friend, Sanders is not a better WR. Worse hands, slower, shorter, and contrary to popular belief, Wallace can and does run more than go routes. No team game plans for Sanders...they do for Wallace. Sanders is "shiftier", that is true, but that, IMO, is his only advantage, and it's not that great of a difference, either.

I will say that Sanders does have the talent to be a #2, but as has been mentioned, until he improves his focus, I wouldn't personally rely on him to be my team's #2.

Denver, for obvious reasons, will be a good place for him. Manning will probably "demand" more of him than Ben did, if that makes any sense. It might be the one thing that finally allows him to turn the corner.

It was a good contract for the Broncos, but would not have been a good one for the Steelers, as he may "play" to that contract's value in Denver...doubtful he would have in Pittsburgh.

Props to Jamison on the sweet sig!!!
jebrick

PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2014 9:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I will disagree. He is a better route runner than Wallace. Has decent speed. More of a possession WR. Best fit is a #2 as he does not have the quickness for the slot. Injuries have slowed/stopped his development.

"You build with draft choices. You find people with talents adaptable to your plans and then you teach them to do things the way we do them." - Chuck Noll
Dcash4

PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2014 9:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

...Sanders dropped 3 passes last year? Where does this he has terrible/inconsistent hands come from?

http://www.sportingcharts.com/nfl/stats/drops/2013/

If any can find any other stats, i would like to see them.

But i agree with 43. It wasn't that he was dropping passes all over the place - its that he never seemed to come up with the big catch.

Whether that be a poorly placed pass that he got around but couldnt haul in, or if it was an incredibly difficult pass that he couldnt catch (Ravens game) - those are the plays that stuck with everyone.
SMashMouthMike

PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2014 9:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sanders could be good for the Broncos. I disliked him as a steeler at times. He missed a block ( didn't even attempt one) against a Bears' safety, who caused Bell to fumble last season. Those sort of things stick with me. He has had a costly fumble, and a few drops at key junctures in games. He might flourish there, but he might not ever be that go to guy.

Thanks Lyasr 529
Chieferific

PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2014 10:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wallace is a better #1/#2 than Sanders but Sanders is the better slot WR IMO. He should do fine in Denver assuming they use him right and he can stay healthy (he did have some injury issues). If Rookie Latimer can prove his way to #2 leaving Sanders in the slot, that could be a formidable trio.
*Just remembered you have Welker too. I don't see a Rookie beating out either Sanders or Welker for the #2. With that said, Welker is a better slot WR than Sanders and not ideal at #2. That forces Sanders to the #2 spot. That isn't ideal either. However, with all that WR and one of the greats behind Center, I'm sure they'll find a way to work it out.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2014 12:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wwhickok wrote:
I think we'll have to agree to disagree there. He has dropped quite a few passes over his time with the Steelers; more so, many of the drops he had were catches that any average WR should easily be making, hence "inconsistent". It is unnerving to watch him make what should be a a tough catch to make and then drop one where he's wide open. Again, I think it's a lack of focus more than anything.

You can disagree all you want but the fact is he didnt drop as many passes as you are suggesting he did.

And Antonio Brown has also dropped passes that "any average WR should make". I watched Calvin Johnson and AJ Green drop easy passes this year too. In their time here, Antonio Brown has a higher drop percentage and has had his fair share of bad drops as well.

Until this year, no one really called out Sanders for his hands, because they werent notably inconsistent. This year he had some bad drops at key times and thats why they stick in people's minds. Two of them potentially cost us the game, including the Thanksgiving game against the Ravens.

However, thats more "choking" than it is having inconsistent hands.

If his hands are inconsistent, then I guess alot players who are considered great in this league have inconsistent hands as well, because theyve dropped as much or more than Sanders.

Sanders has some shortcomings that hold him back....he may not be an elite pass catcher, but he is on par with other good-very good WRs in this league.

Quote:
He'll be a good slot receiver, but since that's not what they're asking him to be in Denver, well..we shall see. He's got talent, frankly I think he's a better WR than Mike Wallace because unlike Wallace, he can run more than one route. But it just comes down to, can he focus and make the catches he needs to consistently, because to this point he hasn't proven that he can.

I guarantee he will line up in the slot from time to time. Welker will be there most of the time but I guarantee he will see time there.

And considering Peyton Manning throws a very catchable ball, and he will have DMT, Welker and Julius Thomas taking attention away....maybe even Cody Latimer....he will get plenty of chances.

He put up 700+ yards this year as our number 2 MOST of the year and will be playing with one of the best QBs in the game in an offense that makes WRs jobs easier....he will have a good year regardless of where he lines up unless him or Peyton Manning gets injured.

treat88

PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2014 5:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think between his early foot injuries and Haley's O that we haven't seen the best of Sanders to date.

He's got great short area quicks and is a very good route runner. He can win on the outside or on the inside. He's very good after the catch. Very physical, willing run blocker too.

If Welker has any further injury issues, I could see him supplanting him in the offense quickly...possibly even without injuries as the season moves on, and as mentioned with the size/speed options Denver can run out there Sanders can be used to take advantage of mismatches in a variety of ways.

I don't think he's a world beater by any means, but if the Broncos throw the ball as much as they did last year, either/both of 70 catches or 1000 yards are doable numbers for him.

He's a talented player.

"Reputation is what other people know about you. Honor is what you know about yourself."
Dcash4

PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2014 5:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

treat88 wrote:
I think between his early foot injuries and Haley's O that we haven't seen the best of Sanders to date.

Can you elaborate on that? I agree with 98% of what you said but just wondering about this part.

Haley's passing game is exactly what Sanders is. Quick, precise routes that get the ball out of the Qbs hand on time. Short to intermediate passes are the driving force - which is where Sanders can excel.

Just feel if anything, Haleys offense should make Sanders better.
BenderRodriguez

Location: #SteelerNation-We have six Lombardie's and you don't. Haters Hate
PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2014 5:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fustrating at times, but a capable blocker. Better in that regard then AB.

BIG BEN 122/177 68.9 comp % 1365 yds 7tds 2int 100.1 QB Rating Yeah that's not MVP @ all
Quote:
LE'VEON BELL TRACKER
688 Total Yards
460 yds Rushing 1 td
228 yards receiving (9.5 yard avg)
FourThreeMafia

PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2014 8:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dcash4 wrote:
treat88 wrote:

Can you elaborate on that? I agree with 98% of what you said but just wondering about this part.

Haley's passing game is exactly what Sanders is. Quick, precise routes that get the ball out of the Qbs hand on time. Short to intermediate passes are the driving force - which is where Sanders can excel.

Just feel if anything, Haleys offense should make Sanders better.

He may mean the adjustment from Arians system to Haley's, since our offense sputtered at times.

But I agree, Sanders was a good fit for Haley's offense in general.

Personally, I just dont think he had great chemistry with Ben. Not bad...but no the rapport Ben built with guys like Brown, Wallace and Ward.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Pittsburgh Steelers All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: