Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Vikings Release Statement On Kluwe Allegations
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 20, 21, 22, 23, 24  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Minnesota Vikings
View previous topic :: View next topic  
wcblack34

PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2014 3:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

skywindO2 wrote:
Maybe Kluwe misunderstood his lawyer's business card.

IALTO Laughing
swiss_vike

PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2014 3:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wcblack34 wrote:
vike daddy wrote:
Krauser wrote:
It's almost like there's something Kluwe wants more than a lawsuit.

or... Kluwe's being advised the lawsuit and subsequent appeal will basically bankrupt his life savings with no guarantee of a win.

Zygi can weather what's to come better than Kluwe can.

There's a good chance that Kluwe's attorneys would be taking this on a contingent fee basis. They'd put up all the money and get a hefty share of any settlement or jury award.

The thing is, he doesn't have a case for neither wrongful termination nor for defamation (you can't sue for bad jokes); so I doubt someone like Halunen would do what you proposed.
wcblack34

PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2014 3:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

swiss_vike wrote:
wcblack34 wrote:
vike daddy wrote:
Krauser wrote:
It's almost like there's something Kluwe wants more than a lawsuit.

or... Kluwe's being advised the lawsuit and subsequent appeal will basically bankrupt his life savings with no guarantee of a win.

Zygi can weather what's to come better than Kluwe can.

There's a good chance that Kluwe's attorneys would be taking this on a contingent fee basis. They'd put up all the money and get a hefty share of any settlement or jury award.

The thing is, he doesn't have a case for neither wrongful termination nor for defamation (you can't sue for bad jokes); so I doubt someone like Halunen would do what you proposed.

You have no idea what he does and doesn't have a case for. Kluwe's legal team probably isn't in the business of telegraphing their entire legal strategy.
swiss_vike

PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2014 3:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Krauser wrote:
I think Kluwe thought that his case was clear enough, and he had enough proof (including texts from Blair Walsh that apparently exist but weren't included in the Vikings legal brief) that he could embarrass Priefer and force the Vikings to take action against him and to take some steps to change their culture.

Well, if that was really his intention, why was he so furious last Friday, where a) Priefer apologized b) Priefer was fined c) Priefer was suspended d) the owner apologized e) the owner personally said to initiate changes in the organisation. To me, it looks like he won that battle.

But he was not happy, because it was about his (often stated) personal redemption. I really doubt his motivation as you have described it. Of course, the leak of his antics by the Vikings didn't help. But it could have humbled him...instead he went on a tirade and lost alot of credibility in the public eye.

Krauser wrote:
I don't think he was playing a strategic long game. He obviously doesn't think like a lawyer.

I fully agree. He probably cried 'lawsuit' Friday night before talking to his lawyers. I followed him on Twitter for many years and he doesn't seem to think much before writing.
swiss_vike

PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2014 3:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wcblack34 wrote:

You have no idea what he does and doesn't have a case for. Kluwe's legal team probably isn't in the business of telegraphing their entire legal strategy.

We are all speculating here, including you.

(The fact that the union doesn't jump on his wrongful termination case is a strong indicator that there isn't actually a case)
wcblack34

PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2014 4:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

swiss_vike wrote:
wcblack34 wrote:

(The fact that the union doesn't jump on his wrongful termination case is a strong indicator that there isn't actually a case)

You are thinking narrowly. Very narrowly. There could be any number of causes of action. You are limiting it to wrongful termination and defamation. There could be any number of causes of action. It could be a sexual harassment suit. It could be a suit for Intentional Inflection of Emotional Distress. It could be for Negligent Infliction of Emotional Distress. It could be an action for any number of things, yet you keep insisting he has no case. My speculation is a little less narrow than yours.
swiss_vike

PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2014 4:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wcblack34 wrote:
swiss_vike wrote:
wcblack34 wrote:

You are thinking narrowly. Very narrowly. There could be any number of causes of action. You are limiting it to wrongful termination and defamation. There could be any number of causes of action. It could be a sexual harassment suit. It could be a suit for Intentional Inflection of Emotional Distress. It could be for Negligent Infliction of Emotional Distress. It could be an action for any number of things, yet you keep insisting he has no case. My speculation is a little less narrow than yours.

W. Termination and defamation was brought up by Halunen himself. Sexual harassement hardly possible from what is known. This leaves the emotional distress. Certainly a possibility....but the his own actions (jokes) will be relevant as well; and a counter-suit could follow that.

Not narrow, but to the end Wink

Best would be for both to settle it outside of court; and apparently that's what both sides currently think.
Krauser

PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2014 4:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

swiss_vike wrote:
Well, if that was really his intention, why was he so furious last Friday, where a) Priefer apologized b) Priefer was fined c) Priefer was suspended d) the owner apologized e) the owner personally said to initiate changes in the organisation. To me, it looks like he won that battle.

a) Priefer apologized

...for one comment ("my insensitive remark") while denying anything else, and with a report published that attempted to justify the circumstances in which he made that remark. To his credit, he didn't pull any punches with his apology.

b) Priefer was fined c) Priefer was suspended

...if Priefer said what Kluwe alleged (multiple comments including the religious stuff, "that's disgusting", "you'll burn in hell", etc), and/or pushed Kluwe off the team for political and social reasons, he arguably got off lightly.

The perception that Priefer paid a fair penalty is based on the idea that the Vikings legal brief is an accurate representation of the investigation's findings into what actually happened.

d) the owner apologized

...where was that?

From the Vikings statement:

Quote:
"there was no wrongdoing on the club’s part and that the decision to release Chris was based on his on-field performance."

As we have said in the past, we consistently strive to create – and believe we have – a supportive, respectful and accepting environment for our players, coaches and staff, and we strongly disassociate the club from the statement that Coach Priefer made.

The club's taking zero responsibility there. It's hanging Priefer out to dry as the one guy who screwed up despite the Vikings efforts to create a good environment.

e) the owner personally said to initiate changes in the organisation. To me, it looks like he won that battle.

...where was that?

Quote:
We will continue to hold all team members accountable and take the outlined critical steps to further educate everyone within our organization both individually and collectively. We will accept nothing less than creating a franchise that Minnesotans and Vikings fans everywhere can be proud of on and off the field.

That's a statement of continuing to do well, not admitting that they fell short and making changes. In fact, it's effectively a denial that they need to make any changes at all, beyond punishing Priefer for the supposedly single remark.
swiss_vike

PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2014 4:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As said, he should have taken what the Vikings gave him. They did alot. A strong comittement to a tolerant workplace. There was no need to say that the whole organisation was a bunch of bigots that needs to change, because that's simply not true. I'm surprised you would think that.

I was wrong about Zygi apologising, I apologize.
swiss_vike

PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2014 4:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Question: did the Vikings ever announce that they would release the investigation report.
disaacs

PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2014 4:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

swiss_vike wrote:
Question: did the Vikings ever announce that they would release the investigation report.

As I understand, they never publicly said they would release the entire report. Kluwe is saying that they promised that they would. He said, they said.

Thx to Uncle Buck!
since72

PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2014 5:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Krauser wrote:
Why do you think he wrote it?

Maybe he's taking the lead from another Minnesota professional "athlete". Leave your sport in a grieivance with your employer. Play in a band. Become a media personality. Get into politics. Sue widows and children for income. Wink

Seriously...

My question isn't really WHY did he write the piece on Deadspin, but why did he write the piece on DEADSPIN?

Are you familiar with the site? Did you see Kluwe's article on Deadspin written just months before his Vikings article:

http://deadspin.com/why-deadspin-sucks-by-nfl-free-agent-chris-kluwe-1214782217

Deadspin is the site that elected the Vikings Love Boat scandal into their Hall of Fame of news stories. Is it any wonder Kluwe found a receptive atmosphere when submitting his Vikings story?

Deadspin is known for their sensational, over-the-top, and usually offensive news stories. So why would Kluwe post an article on a site he throught sucked? I suspect Kluwe was using them for some visibility by supplying them with their stock-in-trade. I too don't think he was even thinking lawsuit at the time. I certainly don't think he was on a moral crusade to change an intolerant culture at the Vikings. He was a fan of Deadspin and wanted to keep being a contributor by giving them the dirt they thrive on.

BTW I'm not defending Priefers comment(s). He's getting punished.

I'm glad they're negotiating. I'm sure the attorneys will press for a quiet settlement that allows both sides to save face. I think they decided both sides would lose in a mudslinging contest.
wcblack34

PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2014 5:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

swiss_vike wrote:
wcblack34 wrote:
swiss_vike wrote:
wcblack34 wrote:

W. Termination and defamation was brought up by Halunen himself. Sexual harassement hardly possible from what is known. This leaves the emotional distress. Certainly a possibility....but the his own actions (jokes) will be relevant as well; and a counter-suit could follow that.

Not narrow, but to the end Wink

Best would be for both to settle it outside of court; and apparently that's what both sides currently think.

Your own words: "from what is known." There is a lot of stuff that none of us know, so dismissing wrongful termination, defamation, intentional interference with prospective economic benefit, intentional interference with contract, sexual harassment, negligent/intentional infliction of emotional distress, or any other potential suit is completely and utterly premature at this point. All you know is what the Vikings released in their report.

Additionally, Kluwe would be entitled to conduct discovery to dig for evidence to bolster his claims if he brought a lawsuit. He would be able to question witnesses, subpoena documents and do other things to further his cause. All "that is known" right now is the Vikings' 29 page memo discussing their personal interpretation of a report that they paid for. There could be any number of evidentiary biases found with that report if released, but it hasn't been. Kluwe would be able to pay for his own report. Who knows how that would come out? Then you're on to a trial where a judge or jury gets to decide who to believe. Since it's a civil trial, nothing has to be proven "beyond a reasonable doubt," only by a "preponderance of the evidence."

I'm not going to give a lecture on Civil Procedure, but you can bring a case for damn near anything. That gets you in the door. If you follow the proper procedures, which his lawyers would presumably do, then you get to move forward with discovery. Until discovery closes, it's very difficult to get rid of a lawsuit. It can be done, but in a fact intensive situation like this one, it's not likely.

You are correct, it is in both parties' interest to end this now. However, you shouldn't assume that the Vikings have a better case than Kluwe simply because Kluwe has agreed to negotiate.
vike daddy

Most Valuable Poster (2nd Ballot)

PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2014 5:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wcblack34 wrote:
There could be any number of causes of action. It could be a suit for Negligent Inflection of Emotional Distress.

if you go to confession in front of a priest and he laughs at your sin, or yawns, could he be sued for Negligent Genuflection of Emotional Distress...?

Webmaster wrote:
Can we knock off all the nonsense and stick to football?
disaacs

PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2014 5:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Could a narcissist sue himself for Negligent Reflection of Emotional Distress?

Thx to Uncle Buck!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Minnesota Vikings All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 20, 21, 22, 23, 24  Next
Page 21 of 24

Jump to: