Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

AG20 Roster Thoughts: Centers

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Green Bay Packers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
AlexGreen#20

PostPosted: Sun Jul 13, 2014 8:18 pm    Post subject: AG20 Roster Thoughts: Centers Reply with quote

JC Tretter

Other than the eternal question mark of injuries, the biggest concern hovering over the Packers offensive line is the center position. Assuming all things stay the same throughout training camp, JC Tretter will be the fourth opening day starter for the Packers in four years. While the rest of the state of Wisconsin losses their mind about starting a rookie who hasnít taken any snaps in the NFL or at the center position, Iím excited.

For the first time since Mike Flanagan, the Packers will have a Center with ideal physical measurables. I can appreciate what Scott Wells did for the Packers, but he was an undersized guy with no real drive skills to speak of. He was very good at the game that he played, but the game he played had a ceiling on it. I wouldíve killed for Wells to be back in green and gold the last two years, but not at the price the Rams are paying for him.

JC Tretter is neither the corpse of Jeff Saturday, nor a relatively talentless try-hard like Evan Dietrich-Smith. Tretter is an elite physical specimen for a center. Pick your favorite center in todayís game and compare the athletic measurements at the combine to Tretterís. The only one that comes close is Ryan Kalil. For the first time in a long time, the Packers wonít be limited in what they can do in the run game by their Centerís lack of athletic ability. Wellsí inability to generate a push made running a power game difficult and EDSí lack of lateral agility made the zone runs tough to work with. Saturdayís complete absence of ability in his dilapidated state made both just about impossible to use effectively. That wonít be a problem with Tretter at the pivot spot.

In pass protection, Tretter will need to show heís capable of handling shorter, stronger, interior rushers, but he has everything you look for in a Center prospect. Heís mobile, heís aware, and he does a good job anchoring down to provide a clean pocket. With two stud guards flanking him and Aaron Rodgers behind him, thereís a lot of talent and experience around him to help him out with his responsibilities.

Mentally is where the concerns about Tretter are. In todayís NFL keeping a line organized is the centers most important job. Tretter has apparently worked his [inappropriate/removed] off this summer getting everything down, and he got practice reps with Rodgers at the end of last year, but when live rounds start flying, inevitably mistakes will be made. The key for Tretter in that regard will be to improve every week. Expecting him to run the ship like Wells did is unreasonable in his first year starting. On the other hand, the guy went to Cornell. Iím not saying that all football players at Ivy League schools are geniuses, but they donít let morons into Cornell either.

Tretterís ceiling is absurdly high, and if weíre being realistic, the bar for Center play has not been set that high in recent years. Since Wells allowed .5 sacks and 8.5 pressures in 2011, EDS and Saturday combined to allow 11 sacks and 40 pressures over the past two seasons. Improving on those marks is a distinctly attainable goal for Tretter and something I think he is likely to accomplish.

++++++++++++

Corey Linsley

Corey Linsley is a guy that fits extremely well with this Packers team. Heís a guy thatís experienced at Center and should be capable of effectively filling in if Tretter somehow falls flat on his face. Typically the interior sub on an NFL team is a guy thatís capable of playing guard, but with Don Barclay in house, that isnít a needed trait, which is probably a good thing because Iím dubious if Linsley couldíve gotten the job done at guard on Sundays as a rookie.

Physically, heís similar to Wells, and that isnít really a compliment. The 36 reps on the bench are nice, and he had some other impressive lifting marks, but none of them particularly reflect the player Linsley is. He isnít a bull on the field, though he gets the job done more often than one might expect for a guy his size. Heís quick, and efficient with good feet and good hands for a college player, but he just doesnít have the mass to sit down against the bull rush of more powerful players.

Heís a fighter in pass protection, similar to Wells. He gets his hands inside well and fights to reset quickly if he doesnít. He showed good balance and awareness and the ability to cut low when needed. He has the occasional tendency to play straight legged which will need to be beaten out of him before heís exposed to Sunday football, because he flat out isnít big enough or strong enough to play with bad leverage.

Long term, Iím not sure if heís ever going to be big enough to show well at Guard, and the lack of versatility is not good for his long term career, but I wouldnít be surprised in the slightest if he found himself starting somewhere in a few years. This is a very good football player, you just wish he were a little bit bigger for that 7th lineman role.
Mattwaukee

PostPosted: Sun Jul 13, 2014 8:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If there's a place to throw a rookie like young guy in on offense it's the offensive line and he's set up in a perfect spot to succeed.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 13, 2014 9:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Man I was really thinking Tretter was just going to be another guy, but now I am drooling on my keyboard. I did not think little to any improvement was going to happen on the oline, but now. LETS GO!!!

PostPosted: Sun Jul 13, 2014 9:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kampman74 wrote:
Man I was really thinking Tretter was just going to be another guy, but now I am drooling on my keyboard. I did not think little to any improvement was going to happen on the oline, but now. LETS GO!!!

I don't know that this line could rival Clifton Wahle Flanagan Rivera Tauscher, but if everything goes well, it's the closest we've been.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2014 11:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's hard not to be excited for this o-line.
Shanedorf

PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2014 6:51 pm    Post subject: Re: AG20 Roster Thoughts: Centers Reply with quote

AlexGreen#20 wrote:
JC Tretter

Mentally is where the concerns about Tretter are. In todayís NFL keeping a line organized is the centers most important job. Tretter has apparently worked his [inappropriate/removed] off this summer getting everything down, and he got practice reps with Rodgers at the end of last year, but when live rounds start flying, inevitably mistakes will be made.

Thanks for the write-ups, greatly appreciated

Quick question :

Any thoughts about what tactics Seattle might employ to mess with a young Center during his first NFL start...on the road ?
squire12

PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2014 6:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

They may put their best inside pass rusher over Tretter, some blitzes or stunts inside to see how he handles that, communicates the transitions. Shifting lines and fronts to confuse protection calls.

No doubt they will test both skill and smarts for someone new to the position and his first NFL game.
MNPackfan32

PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2014 2:38 am    Post subject: Re: AG20 Roster Thoughts: Centers Reply with quote

Shanedorf wrote:
AlexGreen#20 wrote:
JC Tretter

Mentally is where the concerns about Tretter are. In todayís NFL keeping a line organized is the centers most important job. Tretter has apparently worked his [inappropriate/removed] off this summer getting everything down, and he got practice reps with Rodgers at the end of last year, but when live rounds start flying, inevitably mistakes will be made.

Thanks for the write-ups, greatly appreciated

Quick question :

Any thoughts about what tactics Seattle might employ to mess with a young Center during his first NFL start...on the road ?
Stunts, zone blitzes, unique formations. Basically anything you can do to confuse a player.

Duff Man wrote:
MNPackfan32 wrote:
Josh Sitton, Mike Daniels

Average at best
Frank-O

PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2014 4:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well thankfully we have a whole offseason to gameplan for the Seahawks. Wink

But regardless, going into your first NFL regular season game ever against a great defense like Seattle's (especially after that historical beatdown they put on in the SB) it's going to be tough.

I have a gut feeling were gonna win this game. Godgers has got to be chomping at the bit.
Twisted Evil

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Green Bay Packers All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: