Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

SoS's Pressing Questions

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Green Bay Packers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
SoS

PostPosted: Sun Jul 13, 2014 4:25 pm    Post subject: SoS's Pressing Questions Reply with quote

How's it going fellas. This will be the next installment of my "32 Team Pressing Fantasy Questions" thread, which will be found in the Fantasy Football forum once I've compiled a sufficient amount of responses. I will be linking each team from that central thread so posters can click on the link and be directed to this thread (or whichever team they click on) to directly see the comments you guys have left.

With that said, I would GREATLY appreciate as much participation/responses/opinions as possible. I know it's somewhat of a dead period here on Football's Future but it would be great if you guys could just take a few seconds to voice what you believe to be the answer to these pressing questions. Since it is for fantasy purposes, there likely will not be any defensive questions. Each team will have 3 questions and they will generally encompass the QBs, RBs, and WRs.

Thanks in advance!

1. With Aaron Rodgers returning to the lineup, how might Eddie Lacy's production improve in 2014? Are you guys expecting him to be a true bell-cow or will James Starks still hold value in fantasy circles?

2. The receiver position is just a mess for Green Bay in a fantasy sense, but I mean that in the absolute best way possible. Jordy Nelson and Randall Cobb are going to get there's, but there are quite a few question marks after that. Is Boykin being underdrafted in fantasy right now? Or will his production take a hit with the addition of Davante Adams?

3. The TE position is one not many people are talking about when it pertains to Green Bay, but it's something worth talking about. Is anyone going to have value there this year? What about for the future? Are any of these guys worth a fantasy pick?

Tongue-Splitter

PostPosted: Sun Jul 13, 2014 4:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's not a single tight end on our roster I would use a fantasy draft pick on. I wouldn't even use a fantasy pick on one of our tight ends if the top two guys on our depth chart had all their receptions, yards and touchdowns accredited to the starter. I could name 24 better options for fantasy football than anybody on our roster. Hope I'm wrong, but I doubt that I am.
Ketchup

PostPosted: Sun Jul 13, 2014 5:06 pm    Post subject: Re: SoS's Pressing Questions Reply with quote

SoS wrote:
How's it going fellas. This will be the next installment of my "32 Team Pressing Fantasy Questions" thread, which will be found in the Fantasy Football forum once I've compiled a sufficient amount of responses. I will be linking each team from that central thread so posters can click on the link and be directed to this thread (or whichever team they click on) to directly see the comments you guys have left.

With that said, I would GREATLY appreciate as much participation/responses/opinions as possible. I know it's somewhat of a dead period here on Football's Future but it would be great if you guys could just take a few seconds to voice what you believe to be the answer to these pressing questions. Since it is for fantasy purposes, there likely will not be any defensive questions. Each team will have 3 questions and they will generally encompass the QBs, RBs, and WRs.

Thanks in advance!

1. With Aaron Rodgers returning to the lineup, how might Eddie Lacy's production improve in 2014? Are you guys expecting him to be a true bell-cow or will James Starks still hold value in fantasy circles?

Lacy is going to hover around 300 carries IMO. He'll get his and be a bell cow. Starks is only valuable as a handcuff at this point but an elite handcuff and one that's a must if you own Lacy. He'll have some standalone games where he puts up good fantasy numbers but trying to guess them is truly a gamble.

2. The receiver position is just a mess for Green Bay in a fantasy sense, but I mean that in the absolute best way possible. Jordy Nelson and Randall Cobb are going to get there's, but there are quite a few question marks after that. Is Boykin being underdrafted in fantasy right now? Or will his production take a hit with the addition of Davante Adams?

I fully expect Boykin to be the clear number 3 and Adams to be brought along much in the same way as Nelson and Cobb were when they were rookies which is slowly. Adams will play but don't expect fantasy relevance in year one, not over Boykin.

3. The TE position is one not many people are talking about when it pertains to Green Bay, but it's something worth talking about. Is anyone going to have value there this year? What about for the future? Are any of these guys worth a fantasy pick?

It's truly wide open and a situation that will have to wait until a starter is named and even then, I'd stay away. Q, Bostick, Colt and Rodgers all have a shot at being the main contributor. Plus there's the x factor in not knowing if Finley is going to be cleared or not. If he is, I see him back in GB. My point... Stay far far away from our TE position in fantasy re-drafts. Dynasty leagues aren't much better but I would go Rodgers if I had to pick one.

Kempes on the custom sig!
NCPackFan

PostPosted: Sun Jul 13, 2014 5:26 pm    Post subject: Re: SoS's Pressing Questions Reply with quote

I see a more well-balanced offense this year. Lacy's the starter, but Starks and others have their roles as well. Starks might be a bye week option.

We're only talking about Boykin because Cobb went down and Boykin played well. Adams probably won't be some stud his rookie year, but he'll have his role within the offense. This is yet again why I say this will be a well-balanced offense. Cobb and Nelson are the clear #1 and #2. Boykin and Adams will be #3 and #4 but really only listed that way on the depth chart. Each have an important role within the offense which could expand in the future pending the contract talks with Cobb and Nelson; mainly Cobb. I'd avoid Boykin and Adams for now.

This is the one area of the offense that is completely under development. As you could imagine, there aren't enough carries and receptions to go to all of the talent we have at other positions. TE becomes a last resort as Finley is gone, Quarless is more of a blocking TE, Bostick's the real receiving threat we have at the moment but he hasn't done enough for someone to say he's a solid option, and then you've got a ST guy and two or three rookies behind them. Don't read too much into our TE's. They'll show up every once in awhile, but don't expect them to shock the world...
Mattwaukee

PostPosted: Sun Jul 13, 2014 5:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

you think we're going to help you with your fantasy questions?! Shocked

PostPosted: Sun Jul 13, 2014 6:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The only thing I might differ from people on is Eddie Lacy. I think Mac felt bad having him beat up so bad at the end of the year. I think we try to keep him in the range of 225-260 carries this year. Mac loves DuJuan Harris and he should be 100% ready to go this year. I could be totally wrong but my gut is Mac is going to try to keep Lacy's carries down a little bit from last year.

Duff Man wrote:
MNPackfan32 wrote:
Josh Sitton, Mike Daniels

Average at best
SoS

PostPosted: Sun Jul 13, 2014 6:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mattwaukee wrote:
you think we're going to help you with your fantasy questions?! Shocked

I already have a pretty strong opinion on most, if not all, of these questions. This is just for my "Pressing Fantasy Questions" thread to help others out Wink
pgwingman

PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2014 6:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Will GB's defense be worth a fantasy draft? With the addition of Peppers and drafting Haha Clinton-Dix, could this defense emerge with some better numbers?
Stoop Trash

PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2014 1:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

pgwingman wrote:
Will GB's defense be worth a fantasy draft? With the addition of Peppers and drafting Haha Clinton-Dix, could this defense emerge with some better numbers?

Was just thinking about this today. GB could have a sneaky good fantasy year. With Haha and Casey Hayward back, TO's should be up. Could also see a couple of special team's TD's this year from the return game with Hyde and maybe Abby. If you miss out on the big guns for D/ST, it might be worth a gamble to wait until late and pick them up. Boom/bust potential for sure.

As far as the other questions, Lacy should produce similar to last year. Think Mac limits his carries as he likes all of our backs and Lacy was pretty beat up at the end of the season after his workload. Would only target Jordy and Cobb after that, things are wide open. Might be worth stashing Boykin or Adams for injury fill in...you know...Packers. Wouldn't draft a Packers TE unless someone is going crazy in pre-season. Waters are real murky there and no one knows how it will play out and if the winner will actually get meaningful fantasy work.
driftwood

PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2014 2:23 pm    Post subject: Re: SoS's Pressing Questions Reply with quote

SoS wrote:

MM hates the 'bell cow' mentality, so for that reason alone i wouldn't expect Lacy to have any significant boost in #'s... but that wont mean hes not going to be a big part of this offense... the kid is a monster & the staff knows it, but they arent the type to over work him either since he showed how valuble he can be last year

i would say expect similar production (maybe a couple more TD's & yards, but nothing significant)

SoS wrote:

boykin will be a sleeper... IMO he has the potential to replicate everything James Jones accomplished the last few years stat wise... kid is very good at making big plays & the staff loves him... hes worth drafting, i'm just not sure how early is too early (obviously after cobb & jordy) but he should be in the mix

nobody else on the WR/TE depth will be worth looking at unless they resign finley... so beyond nelson & cobb, boykin is the only other person worth drafting

this staff also isnt known for pushing rookie WR's into prominent roles early, unless in emergency cases so i dont think Adams will see anything significant... but that can change quickly once the injury bug ultimately hits the depth chart

SoS wrote:

as of right now, i wouldnt expect anything more than what they showed last year... beyond finley resigning its too much of a gamble to draft a GB TE... at this rate Quarless will see the majority snaps beecause hes the most polished, but probably wont eclipse 500 yards & maybe a few TD's

MM loves his TE's but this will be a bit of a transition year for that group... keep an eye on rodgers & lyerla in camp though what ever one of them emerges as the #2 out of this year has a chance to become the starter by next year
DavidatMIZZOU

PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2014 2:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

1. I doubt Starks has much fantasy value unless you know he is starting because Lacy is out for whatever reason. As was stated earlier, a handcuff. A healthy Lacy will see the most carries, and I'd guess the most red-zone touches of our backs. In a typical league you will probably find much better week-to-week options than Starks.

2. I would watch Adams and Boykin in preseason. Between the two of them we are looking for around James Jones' production. We may lean more on the WR spot because of our TE situation and our backs aren't in the McCoy/Forte pass catching mold. If either Adams or Boykin is looking like a clear #3, I think they could be a nice fantasy option, especially in the middle of the season with the bye-week scrambles.

3. I feel TE is the weakest unit on the team. Lyerla and Rodgers are guys whose potential will probably be larger than their production this season. Quarless has had multiple opportunities when Finley has been injured. In those opportunities he has been an average at best starting TE.

Dark horse is Green Bay's defense. If this unit can stay relatively healthy (massive if), there are some pretty good pass rushers. We also know that Tramon Williams, Casey Hayward and Sam Shields can intercept a lot of passes, Clinton-Dix has shown that ability in college as well.

mistakebytehlak wrote:

My god it must be so terrible to have three teams that consistently make the playoffs
DavidatMIZZOU

PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2014 2:51 pm    Post subject: Re: SoS's Pressing Questions Reply with quote

driftwood wrote:
SoS wrote:

[b]1. With Aaron Rodgers returning to the lineup, how might Eddie Lacy's production improve in 2014? Are you guys expecting him to be a true bell-cow or will James Starks still hold value in fantasy circles?

MM hates the 'bell cow' mentality, so for that reason alone i wouldn't expect Lacy to have any significant boost in #'s... but that wont mean hes not going to be a big part of this offense... the kid is a monster & the staff knows it, but they arent the type to over work him either since he showed how valuble he can be last year

i would say expect similar production (maybe a couple more TD's & yards, but nothing significant)

Might we see a return of the Sherman usage of Najeh Davenport and use Starks between the 40's; giving a good player in Starks more opportunities and keeping Eddie Lacy a bit more rested?

mistakebytehlak wrote:

My god it must be so terrible to have three teams that consistently make the playoffs
deathstar

PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2014 9:04 pm    Post subject: Re: SoS's Pressing Questions Reply with quote

SoS wrote:

Thanks in advance!

I expect that Lacy's production will go down, but Starks' production will go up. I wouldn't be surprised if they both (albeit barely) hit 1000 yards. I anticipate GB's rushing offense on the whole to be improved, but not necessarily because of Lacy. More due to play calling, having Rodgers all year, and overall comfort at the position.

Quote:

Boykin will be on the field plenty this year. I don't believe his production will increase all that much from last year, though. I think we've seen his ceiling in regards to that - but it all depends on injuries ahead of him.

Quote:

I anticipate seeing Richard Rodgers get about the same amount of yards/TDs as Boykin. For the future it's really hard to predict without seeing how well Bostick, Lyerla, and Quarless do in training camp.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Green Bay Packers All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: