Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

SoS's Pressing Questions

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Oakland Raiders
View previous topic :: View next topic  
SoS

PostPosted: Sun Jul 13, 2014 4:35 pm    Post subject: SoS's Pressing Questions Reply with quote

How's it going fellas. This will be the next installment of my "32 Team Pressing Fantasy Questions" thread, which will be found in the Fantasy Football forum once I've compiled a sufficient amount of responses. I will be linking each team from that central thread so posters can click on the link and be directed to this thread (or whichever team they click on) to directly see the comments you guys have left.

With that said, I would GREATLY appreciate as much participation/responses/opinions as possible. I know it's somewhat of a dead period here on Football's Future but it would be great if you guys could just take a few seconds to voice what you believe to be the answer to these pressing questions. Since it is for fantasy purposes, there likely will not be any defensive questions. Each team will have 3 questions and they will generally encompass the QBs, RBs, and WRs.

Thanks in advance!

1. There are a lot of uncertainties surrounding the Raiders, but I have to start with the RB position, because it has to be causing the most headaches. Who the hell is going to get the most touches from this backfield? Does anyone have value past 2014? What are the chances Latavius Murray becomes the guy?

2. The next stop I'll go is the WR position. I don't think many people have questions regarding James Jones, but after that it's nothing but question marks. So who is the guy people should be monitoring as a potential sleeper in fantasy? Andre Holmes? Rod Streater? Mychal Rivera?

3. Finally, people have to be wondering about Matt Schaub. What are the chances he can regain his old form in an offense that doesn't necessarily have the type of surrounding talent his Houston teams did?

CrapTakula

PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2014 2:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

1) we've got 2 guys who are both likely past their prime and both injury prone (or at least have a history of injury) so my guess is neither of them is going to be the "feature back". likely they'll share the bulk of the carries unless/until one of them gets hurt. As for value past 2014... do you mean fantasy football value? Our current RB (not the one we just signed from jacksonville) is only 26 years old. Statistically speaking, that is when most backs peak. Not to say he hasn't already hit his wall, but if there's any future for either of them, my guess is it's the 26 year old not the 29 year old. As for RB of the future... well... certainly the hope is that he's on the roster now, but we'll know a lot more by the end of training camp and have some more definitive answers by the time the season's rolling.

2) never take a raider WR in fantasy football. So far, we have yet to have that one guy be consistent. maybe with consistent QB play one receiver will start to stand out, but until that happens, I don't see a true #1 on our team.

3) I don't think that our offensive talent is that much worse than Houstons, so the question is was 2013 an anomaly or the new rule for our current QB? Certainly we're all hoping that he's the same guy that holds ALL of the Texans passing records. From the rumblings we hear, our beefed up Oline should be able to protect fairly well, and we will likely be a run-first team anyway, so maybe less pressure will help him turn last season into just a distant memory.

Bolansho Boro Begoz
Baggabonez

PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2014 2:39 am    Post subject: Re: SoS's Pressing Questions Reply with quote

I'm a recovering FF junkie. Although I don't do FF anymore I'll attempt to answer these questions as best I can.
1. There are a lot of uncertainties surrounding the Raiders, but I have to start with the RB position, because it has to be causing the most headaches. Who the hell is going to get the most touches from this backfield?First let's talk about offensive philosophy. The Raiders plan to take the air out the football and win games through ground & pound. Expect a pedestrian run heavy offense. The composition of the carries will probably be a true RBBC. DMC is the homerun hitter who will probably get his carries between the 20s. MJD will do the power work. If you want long TDs I would probably go DMC. I would go MJD as the redzone back. Murray will come into play if their are injuries.
Does anyone have value past 2014? Murray if he can stay healthy
What are the chances Latavius Murray becomes the guy? Depends on his durability. If Murray can't stay healthy the 2015 draft is loaded with RBs and I expect the Raiders will look to upgrade.

2. The next stop I'll go is the WR position. I don't think many people have questions regarding James Jones, but after that it's nothing but question marks. So who is the guy people should be monitoring as a potential sleeper in fantasy? Andre Holmes? Rod Streater? Mychal Rivera? Imvho, the WR corps will also be WRRC with no one guy as the go to guy week to week. I would take a late round flier on TE Ausberry. There is a concern the Schaub no longer has the power to push the ball outside the hash marks and leans heavily on the TE. People outside of Oakland may be aware of Rivera but Ausberry could beat him outright.

3. Finally, people have to be wondering about Matt Schaub. What are the chances he can regain his old form in an offense that doesn't necessarily have the type of surrounding talent his Houston teams did? If Schaub is an efficient game-manager and protects the ball then he will have done his job. There are just too many question marks to draft Schaub as anything other than QB3.

In a futures league I really like Carr. I really like the offensive weapons in next years draft and the Raiders may make an effort to strengthen Carr's supporting staff.
Mr Raider

PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2014 7:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

1. My advice for fantasy purposes when it comes to the RB position for the Raiders, stay away. I like the potential combination of DMC and MJD when it comes to reviving the running game for this franchise and becoming a strength of the team, but I dont think either guy will become THE guy. Both of these guys are extremely talented and have had either flashes of brilliance or a consistent history of playing at a high level, but neither guy is a sure thing. I believe MJD ends up with the most touches, and I do believe he can have a real bounce back year, but McFadden and Murray will both get their touches as well. It will be too difficult to try and figure out with guy will see the bulk of the work load each week as I expect the team to ride the hot hand on a game by game basis. And you cant forget that both of these guys are injury prone, which somewhat ties in to your last question. Murray will get some looks, but the only way I see him getting any sort of consistent workload is if Dmac and MJD suffer injuries, which is entirely possible, perhaps even likely, but too difficult to try and predict for fantasy purposes.

2. As far as the WR position goes, ROD STREATER. I like him as a fantasy wideout even more then I like Jones. Rod has produced and improved every year, all while being the victim of terrible and inconsistent QB play. With even decent QB play last year I think he could have cracked a thousand yards and maybe 7-8 TDs. Hes big, fast, runs good routes, and has by far the most consistent hands on the team. If Schaub returns to form, Streater will have a huge year imvho. Even if Schaub has a decent year I think Rod ends up being our most productive pass catcher. He is the type of WR that every QB loves. You know where hes going to be, he shows up week in and week out, isnt afraid to go over the middle, and he can go up and high point the ball to make difficult catches. I think realsitically he has a real shot at 1000 yards and a handful of touch downs. Andre Holmes is another guy to keep an eye on. As it stands right now he seems to have passed Moore for the number three spot heading into training camp and nothing seems to be set in stone in terms of the depth chart at this position. I dont expect Holmes to have a huge year in terms of stats, but he could be a nice late round sleeper. He was brilliant down the stretch and showed he could make some ridiculous catches. I expect him to be much more involved in the red zone and could lead the team in TD grabs. Rivera is another good guy to target late in the draft for keeper purposes. He was productive last year by rookie standards and Schaub loves his TEs. Dont invest too much in him (not that I expect anyone to) because he will be battling it out with Ausberry for the starting job and nobody really knows how that will play out because David has some untapped talent but we have no way of knowing if he finally puts it together.

3. I am not as high on Schaub as others. I dont expect him to return to his old form, but I also dont expect him to be the walking disaster he was last season. I believe in the combo of DMC and MJD behind our revamped OL that should be at its best paving the way for the backs, so I do think having a solid run game to lean on will help Matt out greatly and while we have nobody that even sniffs a WR of Johnson's caliber we arent void of talented pass catchers. Again for fantasy purposes I think there are numerous better options then Matt Schaub, but I think he can have a decent season under center. Truthfully he is going to have to produce or he may end up being benched in favor of Carr, but I think he can do enough to keep that from happening. If Matt can avoid turnovers, make the right decisions, and lead the team he will have done what the Oakland Raiders need him to do, but will probably leave a lot of fantasy owners wanting more even if he does those things. Nobody in their right mind would rely on Matt Schaub as their fantasy starter, but come draft time I am looking at a number of guys over him as a backup and QB number 3.

The poster formally known as LivingLegendWFC

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Oakland Raiders All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: