Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

What does Matt Schaub need to do to stick around?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Oakland Raiders
View previous topic :: View next topic  
NickButera

PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2014 11:59 am    Post subject: What does Matt Schaub need to do to stick around? Reply with quote

S&B88's thread got me thinking, Schaub is here on a 1 year deal (essentially). What does he have to do to retain the starting position next year? How good does he have to be? Or rather is it dependent on how slow/fast Carr progresses.

On the other hand, I wonder if he isn't outstanding this year, just how good would he have to be for us to keep him on as a back up. $5.5 million isn't too bad for a veteran back up QB who has won as much as Schaub has. I wonder if that's enough to keep him on as a backup, or if we'll cut him loose in favor of McGloin and another cheaper veteran option as a backup QB.

Quote:
Originally scheduled to earn $11 million in 2014, Schaub will now collect a $4.5 million fully guaranteed salary and a $3.5 million signing bonus to be paid on March 31, according to NFLPA documents obtained by CSN Bay Area. The deal also calls for $3 million in unlikely to be earned incentives.

The key takeaway from the new agreement, though, is Schaub's $5.5 million non-guaranteed salary for 2015.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap2000000337532/article/matt-schaubs-raiders-contract-is-a-1year-commitment

My short-term memory is not as sharp as it used to be.
Also, my short-term memory is not as sharp as it used to be.
Chali21

PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2014 12:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

if he's just good and the team is knocking on the playoff doors I could see him staying another season. DA and RM like to play things safe and I couldn't see them going with Carr over Schaub unless Schaub totally fails this season.

On the Raider's Staff
Silver&Black88 wrote:
Its like they're too incompetent to know they're incompetent.
Speed_Wrench

PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2014 2:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cross our fingers and pray, I would like nothing better than to see Schaub do well enough that keeping him for another season would mean the team is coming into form and Carr will be fully ready to take over in his 3rd year, that IMO would be the perfect scenario.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2014 6:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

1) Production: If Schaub goes off every week and the Raiders go 0-16 not only would he not lose his job but he'd probably be looking to sign an extension.
2) Continuity: I Schaub plays OK but DA gets fired I doubt the new HC keeps him around. The new HC will want to know immediately what he has in Carr.
3) QBotF: If Carr passes Schaub on the depth chart he'll be cut or traded as McGloin is the backup signal caller of the future (if there is such a thing).

Bonez wrote:
Teams that win Superbowls and make the playoffs aren't picking in the Top 5, clearly
SPaceGhost

PostPosted: Sun Jul 13, 2014 4:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If Schaub doesn't play like his pro-bowl days he's traded or cut, he stays only as long as he produces at a high level. The backup role is McGloins, simply because of price.
dawsonleery

PostPosted: Sun Jul 13, 2014 9:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

He is probably in the same boat as Dennis Allen. The goal is to compete every week and hope they can win 8 games. If this team goes 8-8, Allen and Schaub have a legit argument to come back the following year and get the Raiders in the playoffs.

I really don't think Allen can have another losing season, I don't care about the strength of schedule. Has there ever been a coach to have 3 straight losing season and get a 4th?
Nuke

PostPosted: Sun Jul 13, 2014 12:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dawsonleery wrote:
He is probably in the same boat as Dennis Allen. The goal is to compete every week and hope they can win 8 games. If this team goes 8-8, Allen and Schaub have a legit argument to come back the following year and get the Raiders in the playoffs.

I really don't think Allen can have another losing season, I don't care about the strength of schedule. Has there ever been a coach to have 3 straight losing season and get a 4th?
Ya know, coaches didn't always have such a short leash like they do nowadays. To answer your question, plenty but the first one that comes to mind is Chuck Noll. Had a losing record his first 3 seasons before going on to win 4 SB, CotY, HoF, and he's in the discussion for greatest HC of all time.
dawsonleery

PostPosted: Sun Jul 13, 2014 2:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, there may be a few old timers. Like Bill Walsh who went 8-24 his first two years and then won the Super Bowl his 3rd. But in recent history, 3 straight losing seasons and I can't see how you get a 4th.
NCOUGHMAN

PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2014 9:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
@PGutierrezESPN: Initially, the plan was for Derek Carr to take a "redshirt" year this season and learn how the NFL works while holding a clipboard. But after being somewhat surprisingly elevated to second string in minicamp, ahead of McGloin, he's that much closer to replacing Matt Schaub, who replaced Carr's older brother David in Houston. Still, the younger Carr has much to prove as he last operated out of a pro-style offense three years ago at Fresno State and the Raiders' offense has been created to fit Schaub's strengths. The, ahem, competition between Schaub and Carr will be the biggest story/non-story of camp. Unless, of course, Schaub gets injured or is so ineffective the situation calls for a second-round draft pick to get the future jumpstarted early.

green24 wrote:
NCOUGHMAN > all of you

Raider X wrote:
This is football, not pussology 101

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Oakland Raiders All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: