Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

What does Dennis Allen need to do to stick around?
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Oakland Raiders
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Silver&Black88

PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2014 10:53 am    Post subject: What does Dennis Allen need to do to stick around? Reply with quote

Lately, I've been reading how geeked DA is and how much improved the team is compared to years' past. Which is something that admittedly excites me as a fan, despite all the rankings and expectations being low. Obviously we fans need to temper our expectations even with all the optimism we possess, because even while considering all the fortifications made to the roster, we still are semi-deficient compared to others and have a grueling schedule to put it lightly. So while being happy yet realistic, itís got me wondering: will Dennis Allen and Reggie McKenzie last long enough to see their plans come to fruition?

Personally, I like them both and would like to see it. Sure, at times they have me scratching my head or angry. But theyíre still not very experienced at either of their jobs and itís pretty clear theyíve been palpably getting better with time. But this is a results-driven business, and eventually Mark Davis will run out of patience. To stay around another year, what kind of progress Allen and McKenzie need to show? RMK will have more slack, obviously but still.

Weíre in one of the toughest divisions in football. Peyton Manning ensures Denver a playoff spot simply by being healthy. KC will fall back to earth a bit, but they still clearly are better than us which I think can also be said of SD. We might be able to take 1 or 2 division games this year but I donít expect more. Analyzing the schedule, being as optimistic as I can, the best I think we can do is 8 wins. I think thatís enough to keep the staff. But realistically, I expect 4-6 Ws. Is that enough? Would not getting blown out other than the one (ok sometimes 2 or 3) inevitable time a year we do and 4-6 wins be enough?

Allenís performance managing the game does need to get better too. But does the playersí support of him (if it comes to that point) count for anything? Will Derek Carr affect their future at all? Its really early to be thinking this way, but thatís whatís on my mind at the moment and its pretty dead in these parts so I figured to post about it to see what everyone else thinks.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2014 11:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think another 4 win season and DA is gone. However I don't think this is a 4 win team. I think that if the team goes 6-10 or 7-9 and is competitive then DA stays. I don't think Carr will have any impact on DA staying or going. I'm more worried about Olsen staying or going whichis possible if DA gets the chop.

Best (realistic) case: We start 3-1 but finish the season with a 3 or 4 game win streak.

Worst (realistic) case: we go 1-3, win few games in the middle and end the season on a losing streak.

On the Raider's Staff
Silver&Black88 wrote:
Its like they're too incompetent to know they're incompetent.
NickButera

PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2014 12:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I totally poached your thread idea......

.......just like I poached this image from you

My short-term memory is not as sharp as it used to be.
Also, my short-term memory is not as sharp as it used to be.
NickButera

PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2014 12:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

On topic, as much as I'd like to say the eye test should be the determining factor.... I think wins is going to be the end all be all. I don't think 5 or even 6 games will be enough, even if half those wins are quality wins over big teams. I think this season is all going to come down to can you win enough games or not. I'm not convinced that's the right way to go about it necessarily, but i think that's how it's going to play out.

My short-term memory is not as sharp as it used to be.
Also, my short-term memory is not as sharp as it used to be.
Silver&Black88

PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2014 12:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

NickButera wrote:
I totally poached your thread idea......

.......just like I poached this image from you

wait for it

PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2014 2:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Beat the niners and den and kc at least once. Has da ever beat a rival besides last yr vs sd?

green24 wrote:
NCOUGHMAN > all of you

Raider X wrote:
This is football, not pussology 101
Speed_Wrench

PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2014 2:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

NickButera wrote:
On topic, as much as I'd like to say the eye test should be the determining factor.... I think wins is going to be the end all be all. I don't think 5 or even 6 games will be enough, even if half those wins are quality wins over big teams. I think this season is all going to come down to can you win enough games or not. I'm not convinced that's the right way to go about it necessarily, but i think that's how it's going to play out.

I'm going to give Mark Davis a little more faith in the patience department than most by saying he's going to look at the season from all angles than just wins and losses, I agree morale victories suck but if you choose to blindly ignore progress in areas where the team struggled before and don't take into account the past and what had to be done and where the team is now then where do we go from here? I think it simply comes down to one question is the team better now than where we where a year ago and that includes coaching in the aspect of are the coaches getting everything we can hope for out of our players, I think if Davis comes up with the answer of yes to both of those questions then I think DA will stay and I could see a possible contract extension after this season if things go well.
Chali21

PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2014 4:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Speed_Wrench wrote:
NickButera wrote:

I'm going to give Mark Davis a little more faith in the patience department than most by saying he's going to look at the season from all angles than just wins and losses, I agree morale victories suck but if you choose to blindly ignore progress in areas where the team struggled before and don't take into account the past and what had to be done and where the team is now then where do we go from here? I think it simply comes down to one question is the team better now than where we where a year ago and that includes coaching in the aspect of are the coaches getting everything we can hope for out of our players, I think if Davis comes up with the answer of yes to both of those questions then I think DA will stay and I could see a possible contract extension after this season if things go well.

I have to disagree with this. From articles I've read Mark hasn't liked the past 2 seasons. Even with the massive lack of talent. If the raiders don't make serious improvements I can see DA getting the boot.

On the Raider's Staff
Silver&Black88 wrote:
Baggabonez

PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2014 6:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Given a ridiculous SoS, I would like to see DA get one more pass but I don't see it happening.

Bonez wrote:
Teams that win Superbowls and make the playoffs aren't picking in the Top 5, clearly
SPaceGhost

PostPosted: Sat Jul 12, 2014 8:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I see RM staying around for a while, Mark Davis needs someone with FO knowledge and a fresh perspective to run the organization. Seriously doubt MD would only give RM a handful of years to put the team on course after all the money being gone and in debt, not to mention the lack of talent and restocking it. Its going to take year after year after year to field a respectable team, and RM hasn't done a bad job of rebuilding.

DA I'm not so sure about, and my thought is, "Is RM (and maybe even MD to some degree) lording over DA like AD used to do to the team?" If he is, then I can't say that DA is doing good or bad, nor read RMs mind on this matter. If RM isn't and DA is going 4-12 year after year while steadily getting better players and showing no improvement... his job is in jeopardy, and he only has himself to blame. That said the last two seasons were a wash, and everyone knows it. This season should be the starting point of, "Is DA a worthy HC, or do we need to find one?" If DA goes 12 or more losses, it won't look good but he should still be the HC. If DA goes 12 or more losses next year I think its over for him, doesn't matter if we play SEA/SF/DEN/SEA/SF/DEN/SEA/SF/DEN... he's gone. This team will only get better each year player-wise, if DA isn't getting more wins each year then sayonara. Shame on you
Chris Lance

PostPosted: Sat Jul 12, 2014 8:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Baggabonez wrote:
Given a ridiculous SoS, I would like to see DA get one more pass but I don't see it happening.

To me the SOS means nothing.

Each year it seems half the teams that made the playoffs the previous season don't make it back.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 12, 2014 8:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chris Lance wrote:
Baggabonez wrote:

Each year it seems half the teams that made the playoffs the previous season don't make it back.

Except we are playing each team that where in the conference championship games. It's not like these guys barely made it in. They where dominant and have been for awhile. Now I think we can sneak some wins from SD and KC but I'm not sure about DEN NE or the NFC West.

On the Raider's Staff
Silver&Black88 wrote:
Chris Lance

PostPosted: Sat Jul 12, 2014 8:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chali21 wrote:
Chris Lance wrote:
Baggabonez wrote:

Except we are playing each team that where in the conference championship games. It's not like these guys barely made it in. They where dominant and have been for awhile. Now I think we can sneak some wins from SD and KC but I'm not sure about DEN NE or the NFC West.

Again SOS means nothing.

Panthers had the toughest SOS last year they made the playoffs, and the year before the Giants had the toughest SOS they won the super bowl.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 12, 2014 9:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In 3 words: Just Win Baby
Chali21

PostPosted: Sat Jul 12, 2014 10:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chris Lance wrote:
Chali21 wrote:
Chris Lance wrote:
Baggabonez wrote:

Again SOS means nothing.

Panthers had the toughest SOS last year they made the playoffs, and the year before the Giants had the toughest SOS they won the super bowl.

I'm not entirely going off of the SOS, I'm also looking at how teams improved or got worse.

The Broncos will be in Super Bowl contention as look as Manning is still good. But even if Manning is pedestrian their revamped defense can keep them in games and win a few. Ware, Ward and Talib make that d way strong.

Same is true of the Patriots. As look as Belichek is still there these guys will be playoff bound. Hell even the year Brady went out with an ACL tear they still went 10-6.

The Seahawks may have lost some guys but they weren't some overachieving team that derped into the super bowl like the Giants or Ravens. They still have Earl Thomas, Beast mode, Wilson, Sherman, and a strong D-Line. Plus no one has as much home field advantage.

The 49ers might take a step back with the losses of Aldon Smith and Navorro and the decline of Justin smith but then again they have the best depth of any team in the NFL.

The Cardinals also might take a step back because of Palmers age and some of the losses on the Defense but who knows they could be good.

The Rams are a dark horse team. I think as long as Bradford stays healthy combined with the beastly defense that team is building the Rams could sneak into playoffs as the 5th or 6th seed.

SD will be good only if Rivers stays good which is like flipping a coin. Their defense isn't that good nor their offensive line. But their skill positions are something amazing.

KC is the only team that I feel could for sure miss playoffs. Their line has been decimated and they foundered towards the end last season.

In summary, I feel after looking at each team's offseason and the consistency of each franchise, we can beat KC for sure, and if we get them on a bad day SD, STL, and ARI. Devine intervention will help us win against SF, DEN, NE or SEA.

But to the original point as long as we can beat teams like the Jets, Jags, Miami and steal a win or two from SD and KC, DA will keep his job.

On the Raider's Staff
Silver&Black88 wrote:

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Oakland Raiders All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: