Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

So, pick 3 Steelers from days' past for the 2014 roster
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Pittsburgh Steelers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
3rivers

PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2014 8:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bobikus wrote:
Rod Woodson
James Harrison
Aaron Smith or John Stallworth

Alternatively:
Rod Woodson
Rod Woodson
Rod Woodson

For a 3x Rod Woodson + Polamalu secondary.

perfect, never thought of this, but with cloning available to such sports programs, we are set here since Rod was also FS. This thread is going places indeed Razz
FourThreeMafia

PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2014 9:18 pm    Post subject: Re: So, pick 3 Steelers from days' past for the 2014 roster Reply with quote

3rivers wrote:

1. Kolb - a top notch LT that was durable and pro bowl calibre. Durable is possibly more important since this OL can't stay healthy. Definitely would have been a misfit on the fatslob OL we had 2011

Many LTs who were good back in the 60s and 70s couldnt have cut it today.

Kolb would be way too undersized to play anywhere on the line today.

And while he was good, he was never great. There are plenty of OLineman that would help our line more than he could.

Madden 25 Steelers Franchise
kethnaab

PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2014 9:40 pm    Post subject: Re: So, pick 3 Steelers from days' past for the 2014 roster Reply with quote

FourThreeMafia wrote:

when discussing past players, I always look at that relative to their times. Kolb and Webster were 2 of the strongest players in the NFL in the 70s, so I just transpose that to now with the assumption that with today's nutrition, weight training knowledge, and both high school and collegiate programs, they'd be 2 of the strongest in the NFL now

otherwise, the vast majority of players from 'back in the day' would be far too small (RBs, oddly enough, were bigger back then than now)
3rivers

PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2014 10:31 pm    Post subject: Re: So, pick 3 Steelers from days' past for the 2014 roster Reply with quote

kethnaab wrote:
FourThreeMafia wrote:

when discussing past players, I always look at that relative to their times. Kolb and Webster were 2 of the strongest players in the NFL in the 70s, so I just transpose that to now with the assumption that with today's nutrition, weight training knowledge, and both high school and collegiate programs, they'd be 2 of the strongest in the NFL now

otherwise, the vast majority of players from 'back in the day' would be far too small (RBs, oddly enough, were bigger back then than now)

And Harrison could have been NT in the 80's Shocked I was applying the transpose approach as well. Jackson was a good pass protector, maybe a better choice but I was thinking of also adding attitude to this team as well as reliability and the running game is something that can improve (and will this year).

I like the idea of this thread, and 3 players are not easy to decide on.

Regarding your transpose, what would the weight be for these players today (my guess is below):

Lloyd 245
Steed 325
Lambert 230
Kolb 305

245Lb version of Lloyd meeting at the qb where Harrison is already to KO the qb. Result -> intimidation restored, something this team has lost on both sides
kethnaab

PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2014 11:15 pm    Post subject: Re: So, pick 3 Steelers from days' past for the 2014 roster Reply with quote

3rivers wrote:

Regarding your transpose, what would the weight be for these players today (my guess is below):

Lloyd 245
Steed 325
Lambert 230
Kolb 305

245Lb version of Lloyd meeting at the qb where Harrison is already to KO the qb. Result -> intimidation restored, something this team has lost on both sides

probably in that vicinity. Lloyd was always long and lean and downright nasty.

Lambert would be a bit heavier, he was about 220-225, so probably closer to 240 these days. Kolb probably 310-315ish.
FourThreeMafia

PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2014 12:06 am    Post subject: Re: So, pick 3 Steelers from days' past for the 2014 roster Reply with quote

kethnaab wrote:
FourThreeMafia wrote:

Im not talking from just a mass size though. If that were the issue, that would be one thing.

He was short and short-limbed. I mean, obviously you could say "well if he were LONGER with his skillset, he could do it", but I kinda feel like thats cheating.

If the question were about skillsets alone, that would be a different thing. But in terms of players we could bring back and play in todays NFL, I think you would need to consider scheme fit and size.

I do agree alot of players would be undersized, but some of those players could be plugged in at other positions.

Oh...and Kolb would never make it in todays NFL with the drug testing, considering pretty much all his strength came from steroids.

Anyway, its just for fun so its not a big deal....but I dont think Kolb would cut it for several reasons.

Madden 25 Steelers Franchise
32houchen32

PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2014 12:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Greg Lloyd

Joey Porter

Aaron Smith

Hm: Hampton
kethnaab

PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2014 1:06 am    Post subject: Re: So, pick 3 Steelers from days' past for the 2014 roster Reply with quote

FourThreeMafia wrote:
Oh...and Kolb would never make it in todays NFL with the drug testing, considering pretty much all his strength came from steroids.

Anyway, its just for fun so its not a big deal....but I dont think Kolb would cut it for several reasons.

the short-limbed thing might be true, that just means he'd be a guard

as for the juice, of course his strength came from juice and a ton of weight lifting. I'd venture a guess that the majority of today's athletes are in the same boat.

as for the drug tests themselves, it takes a royal idiot to get nailed by an NFL drug test.
kethnaab

PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2014 1:09 am    Post subject: Re: So, pick 3 Steelers from days' past for the 2014 roster Reply with quote

decided to change my initial inclination and go all defense

I think we're close enough on the DL right now, so I go with the following in their primes:

1. James Harrison - we desperately need a pass rush
2. Jack Lambert - we need someone with some brains in the middle who can stop the run and cover
3. Rod Woodson - I was tempted to go Mel Blount, VERY tempted, but Rod's return ability put him a hair ahead of Blount, even though I think Blount was a better pure cover CB
3rivers

PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2014 1:47 am    Post subject: Re: So, pick 3 Steelers from days' past for the 2014 roster Reply with quote

kethnaab wrote:
decided to change my initial inclination and go all defense

I think we're close enough on the DL right now, so I go with the following in their primes:

1. James Harrison - we desperately need a pass rush
2. Jack Lambert - we need someone with some brains in the middle who can stop the run and cover
3. Rod Woodson - I was tempted to go Mel Blount, VERY tempted, but Rod's return ability put him a hair ahead of Blount, even though I think Blount was a better pure cover CB

We have Archer for returns or possibly AB, so do you still have Woodson over blount? I am liking the idea of 3 woodson's + troy in the secondary, it can't get better than that or can it?

1. Woodson
2. Woodson
3. Blount

That would be the perfect secondary for me. Megatron and his types get eliminated by Blount. Woodson takes care of the rest. Troy will be Troy, and I would almost welcome the lousy pass rush of last year and dare QB's to throw on that secondary.

Oh, as for transpose to current times, what would Blount be ? 6'4" 250Lbs cover corner Shocked Might be able to rotate to FS to KO a few receivers to thin out the playbook of the opposition Cool
wwhickok

PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2014 6:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Joe Greene, Mel Blount, & Jack Lambert.

Instantly fixes our biggest issues with this team, defense.

Sig courtesy of IDOG

PSN (PS3) -- wwhickok
armsteeld

PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2014 7:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mel Blount
Rod Woodson
Carnell Lake

OR
James Harrison (prime)
Joey Porter
Greg Lloyd

HM:
Kevin Greene
Hines Ward
Dermonti Dawson

"Sheep follow the flock for direction and security but scatter at the sight of the lone wolf". Rocky
BenderRodriguez

Location: #SteelerNation-We have six Lombardie's and you don't. Haters Hate
PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2014 9:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I will throw another HM-Josh Miller. Pretty sure he was the last good punter we had.

BIG BEN 122/177 68.9 comp % 1365 yds 7tds 2int 100.1 QB Rating Yeah that's not MVP @ all
Quote:
LE'VEON BELL TRACKER
688 Total Yards
460 yds Rushing 1 td
228 yards receiving (9.5 yard avg)
jebrick

PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2014 10:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kethnaab wrote:
jebrick wrote:
kethnaab wrote:
jebrick wrote:
Rob Woodson
Plaxico Burress
Casey Hampton

In what world does Plaxico Burress make it above John Stallworth?

In my world that I get to pick from players like the question said.

so you think Plax is/was better than Stallworth? Confused

Long term, no. But he gives the Steelers something that they do not have at the moment which is size at WR.

"You build with draft choices. You find people with talents adaptable to your plans and then you teach them to do things the way we do them." - Chuck Noll
SteelProven

PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2014 12:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Everybody has already picked the usual suspects, so I'm gonna change my up.

Dwayne Woodruff - Very good CB during his time as a Steelers probably one of the most underrated Steelers.

Santonio Holmes - As a Steelers Holmes was money and if I could bring that Holmes back to Pittsburgh would do wonders. Holmes and Antonio Brown combo would terrorize secondaries.

Joel Steed - One of the best 3-4 NT, before Snack showed up.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Pittsburgh Steelers All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: