Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

So, pick 3 Steelers from days' past for the 2014 roster
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Pittsburgh Steelers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
kethnaab

PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2014 11:41 am    Post subject: So, pick 3 Steelers from days' past for the 2014 roster Reply with quote

Who do you go with?

We run a 3-4, so grabbing a guy like Joe Greene might not really work as well as we would think.

For me?

1. John Stallworth - the tall, fast, red zone threat that could couple with Antonio Brown would give Ben his tall red zone target and we could legitimately put up 450 points

2. Jack Lambert - our biggest problem inside over the last several years has been the lack of smart leadership from the defensive captain's position. Lambert was a defensive genius on the field and brought a nastiness to the team that is tough to match

3. James Harrison 2008 - the best all around 34 OLB I've seen (with apologies to Lawrence Taylor). He was pretty much perfect against the run and was a monster against the pass. Our soft-as-baby-turd defense gets tough as nails with Lambert and Harrison together

this pretty much fixes what I perceive to be 3 of our 4 biggest issues (red zone threat, ILB, pass rush), leaving only the CBs as a question mark

Honorable mention -
1. Aaron Smith to pair opposite Ironhead Jr.
2. Mel Blount and Rod Woodson
3. Chad Brown who could legitimately play inside or outside
4. Alan Faneca to pair with David DeCastro
5. Young Casey Hampton would make Timmons and Shazier exponentially better
BenderRodriguez

PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2014 11:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

1. Mel Blount-we need a physical corner to match up in our division.
2. Rod Woodson-we need a shut down corner on the other side of Blount.
3. Casey Hampton of his prime.

Quote:
LE'VEON BELL TRACKER
2041 Total Yds; 1278 yds rushing 7td's; 763 yds receiving 3tds

Now Doing Sigs>http://www.footballsfuture.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?p=18973664#18973664
SteelerPR

PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2014 1:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rod Woodson to me is an automatic for this current team. Many combinations for the other two. But it would be interesting having someone like Eric Green playing with a real QB.
xLeBron

PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2014 1:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BenderRodriguez wrote:

No longer supporting LBJ. Thanks for the four year run.
jebrick

PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2014 1:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rob Woodson
Plaxico Burress
Casey Hampton

"You build with draft choices. You find people with talents adaptable to your plans and then you teach them to do things the way we do them." - Chuck Noll
jebrick

PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2014 1:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

xLeBron wrote:
BenderRodriguez wrote:

i like Eric Green but he was always a problem with his habits. He was an amazing physical specimen and a $0.10 mind

"You build with draft choices. You find people with talents adaptable to your plans and then you teach them to do things the way we do them." - Chuck Noll
kethnaab

PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2014 1:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jebrick wrote:
Rob Woodson
Plaxico Burress
Casey Hampton

In what world does Plaxico Burress make it above John Stallworth?
jebrick

PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2014 2:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kethnaab wrote:
jebrick wrote:
Rob Woodson
Plaxico Burress
Casey Hampton

In my world that I get to pick from players like the question said.

FourThreeMafia

PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2014 2:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Im assuming we are talking about these players at their best, so...

Aaron Smith
James Harrison
Rod Woodson

Really no hesitation here. There are obviously players from the 70s that are amazing, but I dont know their fit in LeBeau's scheme.

These 3 would undoubtedly dominate and immediately make our defense great again.

Madden 25 Steelers Franchise
Bobikus

PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2014 5:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rod Woodson
James Harrison
Aaron Smith or John Stallworth

Alternatively:
Rod Woodson
Rod Woodson
Rod Woodson

For a 3x Rod Woodson + Polamalu secondary.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2014 5:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jebrick wrote:
kethnaab wrote:
jebrick wrote:
Rob Woodson
Plaxico Burress
Casey Hampton

In my world that I get to pick from players like the question said.

so you think Plax is/was better than Stallworth? Confused
kethnaab

PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2014 5:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bobikus wrote:
For a 3x Rod Woodson + Polamalu secondary.

good heavens!!! Shocked Shocked Shocked
SlevinKelevra

PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2014 6:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Woodson
Harrison
Hampton
3rivers

PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2014 7:34 pm    Post subject: Re: So, pick 3 Steelers from days' past for the 2014 roster Reply with quote

kethnaab wrote:
Who do you go with?

We run a 3-4, so grabbing a guy like Joe Greene might not really work as well as we would think.

For me?

1. John Stallworth - the tall, fast, red zone threat that could couple with Antonio Brown would give Ben his tall red zone target and we could legitimately put up 450 points

2. Jack Lambert - our biggest problem inside over the last several years has been the lack of smart leadership from the defensive captain's position. Lambert was a defensive genius on the field and brought a nastiness to the team that is tough to match

3. James Harrison 2008 - the best all around 34 OLB I've seen (with apologies to Lawrence Taylor). He was pretty much perfect against the run and was a monster against the pass. Our soft-as-baby-turd defense gets tough as nails with Lambert and Harrison together

this pretty much fixes what I perceive to be 3 of our 4 biggest issues (red zone threat, ILB, pass rush), leaving only the CBs as a question mark

Honorable mention -
1. Aaron Smith to pair opposite Ironhead Jr.
2. Mel Blount and Rod Woodson
3. Chad Brown who could legitimately play inside or outside
4. Alan Faneca to pair with David DeCastro
5. Young Casey Hampton would make Timmons and Shazier exponentially better

When I was reading your post, I couldn't belive Harrison wasn't #1 but am calmed down to see the fact he made your list.

This game today is different than in the past and the 3-4 is also different than the 4-3 they used. By only having 3 to pick from either indicates this roster needs minor help or a challenge to narrow this down.

1. Harrison - no doubt he should be back and starting opposite of Worilds. Might not be what he was 6 years ago, but I am interested in seeing how he is now that he is healthy and had practically a year off. I recall him playing well once he got healthy, so unlike others, I am not one of those saying he is finished. I believe he will be solid 10 sack 5 FF with us if he comes back.

2. Blount - he would eliminate the top big WR's/TE's I suppose too, but not the speedsters. Let the fast corners handle that. Megatoron, jimmy grahms etc and others wouldn't stand a chance.

3. Woodson - there is the solution for the speedy wr's, goodbye passing game, in the day of the passing game. Before Rod had the ACL he was a shutdown corner and QB's stayed away from him.

HM:
1. Kolb - a top notch LT that was durable and pro bowl calibre. Durable is possibly more important since this OL can't stay healthy. Definitely would have been a misfit on the fatslob OL we had 2011
2. Hampton - still think a dominating NT is not a bad idea, just not as important as OLB or CB these days.
3. Joel Steed - see above and if Hampton had too high a cap value Cool
4. Stallworth - WR is a bit of a question mark, and this would end that. Not many played as well in the big games as he did, maybe should be #1 on my HM list now that I think of it.
5. Lloyd - atitude and solid just plain nasty player, but we know worilds is here and Harrison gets my pick.

Definitely would have Lambert on this list as well, but they would have to trade Timmons first since we all are hyped about Shazier and know Timmons is starting no matter what. If they trade Timmons, then yes Lambert is on my team here no doubt despite him not liking the 3-4.

When the Jets had 2 shutdown CB's a few years ago, they went into NE and beat the cheaters while they generated no pass rush. To me, that showed the importance of the CB and man to man coverage schemes. With Woodson and Blount, I would say we could compare to Revis and Cromartie , then add a pass rush and we are in good shape .
3rivers

PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2014 7:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SteelerPR wrote:
Rod Woodson to me is an automatic for this current team. Many combinations for the other two. But it would be interesting having someone like Eric Green playing with a real QB.

Nice point about green. He might have been the one to set the TE revolution into motion in a way. Not a favorite player by any means, but could be a mismatch in todays game and also help the rushing attack.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Pittsburgh Steelers All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: