Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

My Projected Depth chart with age and how acquired

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Oakland Raiders
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dawsonleery

PostPosted: Sat Jul 05, 2014 9:54 am    Post subject: My Projected Depth chart with age and how acquired Reply with quote

I keep hearing and reading how old the Raiders are, so... I just wrote this up. Here is a projected depth chart with players age and how we acquired each player. I don't think we are as old as the media wants us to believe. BOLD are home grown players we drafted or signed as undrafted free agents. I didn't included Charles Woodson, because he is currently on the the Raiders as a free agent addition.

Offense

QB - Matt Schaub, AGE: 33 Acquired via trade from Houston 2014

RB - Darren McFadden, AGE: 26 Drafted 1st round 2008

FB - Marcel Reece, AGE: 29 Signed as Undrafted FA in 2008

WR - Rod Streater, AGE: 26 Signed as Undrafted FA in 2012

WR - Andre Holmes, AGE: 26 Claimed off waivers in 2013

TE - David Ausberry, AGE: 26 Drafted 7th round 2011

LT - Donald Penn, AGE: 31 Signed as Free Agent 2014

LG - Gabe Jackson, AGE: 23 Drafted 3rd round 2014

C - Stefen Wisniewski, AGE: 25 Drafted 2nd round 2011

RG - Austin Howard, AGE: 27 Signed as Free Agent 214

RT - Menelik Watson, AGE: 25 Drafted 2nd round 2013

Defense

LDE - Lamarr Woodley, AGE: 29 Signed as Free Agent 2014

NT - Pat Sims, AGE: 28 Signed as Free Agent 2013

DT - Antonio Smith, AGE: 32 Signed as Free Agent 2014

RDE - Justin Tuck, AGE: 31 Signed as Free Agent 2014

SLB - Khalil Mack, AGE: 23, Drafted 1st round 2014

MLB - Nick Roach, AGE: 29 Signed as Free Agent 2013

WLB - Sio Moore, AGE: 24 Drafted 3rd round 2013

CB - DJ Hayden, AGE: 24 Drafted 1st Round 2013

CB - Tarell Brown, AGE: 29 Signed as Free Agent 2014

FS - Charles Woodson, AGE: 37 Signed as Free Agent 2013

SS - Tyvon Branch, AGE: 27 Drafted 4th round 2008
Baggabonez

PostPosted: Sat Jul 05, 2014 2:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks old to me at all the positions of importance. QB, LT, DE, FS. What am I missing and why does it matter how they were acquired? The Raiders could have taken a chance and thrown a lot of money at Minnesota FA DE Everson Griffin or gone after a big ticket item like Carolina's DE Greg Hardy but if they miss they will severely hinder the cap. Busted draft picks don't.

In certain respects the Raiders will ALWAYS be old at SOME position(s) of need as McKenzie's philosophy is to draft BPA and spackle in the gaps with old guys and retreads that didn't get what they wanted in FA.

The ultimate goal will be to be young at MOST of the important positions and use the old guys playing at a discount at non-essential positions. It is a small market philosophy that GB has found success with. The Oakland Raiders have a bad stadium deal that affords them one of if not the least lucurative revenue streams in the NFL. In addition, given the state tax situation the Oakland Raiders must conduct themselves like a small market team.

Bonez wrote:
Teams that win Superbowls and make the playoffs aren't picking in the Top 5, clearly
Chris Lance

PostPosted: Sat Jul 05, 2014 7:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Andre Holmes isn't and won't be the starter over James Jones. Wink

PostPosted: Sun Jul 06, 2014 10:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm pretty tired of hearing how old we're also. Would be interesting to see where we rank in average age compared to the other 31 teams.
On a side note, I'm also sick of the perception by the media that the spirit of Al Davis is still guiding our personnel decisions!

PostPosted: Sun Jul 06, 2014 6:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MTRaider wrote:
I'm pretty tired of hearing how old we're also. Would be interesting to see where we rank in average age compared to the other 31 teams.
On a side note, I'm also sick of the perception by the media that the spirit of Al Davis is still guiding our personnel decisions!

+1

In other news:
Quote:
Ever since the Raiders began signing free agents this off-season, those acquisitions have been criticized for being among the over 30 crowd. Most recently ESPN NFL put out this stat:

NFL on ESPN ✔ @ESPNNFL
Follow
The Raiders have the most players over 30 years old on their current roster with 13 Seahawks, Jaguars and Rams have the least with 3

This got me thinking. First of all, is it true? And if it is true, what does it really mean?

To answer the first question of whether it's true the answer is... sort of. Yes, they lead the NFL in players over thirty. But they aren't alone. The Bears also have 13 players 30 years of age or older. Either ESPN missed something or they felt no need to mention it. Even though they mentioned three teams tied for the fewest.

http://www.silverandblackpride.com/2014/4/10/5602264/are-oakland-raiders-really-nfl-oldest-team-what-does-it-mean

Imvho, I think average age of the roster doesn't mean anything so I wanted to do a comparison of the ages of a few older teams of what I feel are the most important positions:
OAK '14
QB: 33
LT: 31
RDE: 29
LDE: 31
FS: 37

CHI '14
QB: 31
LT: 29
RDE: 32
LDE: 27
FS: 25

OAK '02
QB: 37
LT: 28
RDE: 26
LDE: 23
FS: 37

Imo, what this tells us is that: 1) Even though the Bears & Raiders are equally aged the Bears are slightly younger at pivotal positions, 2) Why is anyone quibbling about who is the oldest team in the NFL when clearly the Raiders are 1 of 2, 3) The '02 Raiders team that was considered old was MUCH younger at most of the pivotal positions.

I've been working really hard on SoS, 2015 mocks and cutting up 2013 film. The Raiders have tons of potential. I just feel it'd be really pollyanna/unrealistic to believe all these old guys will BOTH stay healthy and productive at the conclusion of the season. Currently, I have the Raiders playing most of their games close but still picking in the Top 5.

Bonez wrote:
Teams that win Superbowls and make the playoffs aren't picking in the Top 5, clearly
TiberiusRising

PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2014 7:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The age thing doesnt worry me too much at all. In fact in two years they will likely be saying we are one of the youngest teams again.

For starters Edwards isnt making the roster so that puts us to 12 over 30. Jano and Condo are on that list so that is what it is. Leaves 10 guys.

Woodson- Plays younger but will definatley need help this year, still better than a lot of safties out there.

Rogers- imo he is just a one year stop-gap slot corner.

Schaub- QB's play older now, had a down year last year and the team feels they have already drafter his replacement.

Barnes- Arguably one of the top 3 OL on the roster last year and has versatility at almost all spots. Ideally not a starter but very good backup.

Smith- Older but not done. He will be rotated out and in.

Boothe- versatile backup that can play all interior spots. Huge upgrade at the interior backup spot.

Burnett-May not start but is still playing at high level. Last year on his deal. Very confident in him if starter goes out.

Penn-Signed as stopgap LT. Too be determined. More worried about him than any of the guys listed so far. But not panicking at all since there are other options on the roster.

Tuck- He will be rotated but I think he played at a much higher level than he gets credit for last season. The fact that he didnt give up and still produced at the end of their season speaks volumes. From the sounds of it he is already having a positive impact on the locker room.

Jones- This was a curious pickup for me but I am assuming they just wanted some vet leadership in that room. I think he probably has a year or two minimum of good play but if not we have plenty of young guys there.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Oakland Raiders All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: