Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

 FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Could OLB, Chris Carter break out this year?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Pittsburgh Steelers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
FourThreeMafia


Joined: 28 Sep 2006
Posts: 50462
Location: East of Sixburgh
PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2014 3:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jebrick wrote:
wwhickok wrote:
The sad part is I think he already has broken out to his full NFL potential.


I do not notice Carter on special teams. Generally, exceptional players will be exceptional on special teams. The aforementioned Deebo was a terror on the punt teams.


He is definitely not exceptional on special teams...merely decent. He isnt completely worthless like he is when on the field on defense.

His presence on the team just reflects what little talent we have at OLB right now.
_________________

Madden 25 Steelers Franchise
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
kethnaab


Joined: 05 Jan 2009
Posts: 10037
PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2014 5:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

FourThreeMafia wrote:
jebrick wrote:
wwhickok wrote:
The sad part is I think he already has broken out to his full NFL potential.


I do not notice Carter on special teams. Generally, exceptional players will be exceptional on special teams. The aforementioned Deebo was a terror on the punt teams.


He is definitely not exceptional on special teams...merely decent. He isnt completely worthless like he is when on the field on defense.

His presence on the team just reflects what little talent we have at OLB right now.


sadly this seems to be the case, and it's not like we neglected the position in the draft over the years
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
32houchen32


Joined: 04 May 2008
Posts: 419
Location: Montana
PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2014 11:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

He hasn't shown much. I still have hope, but time will tell during preseason if he is worth a roster spot.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
turtle28


Joined: 21 Nov 2007
Posts: 65456
Location: MD/DC/VA depends on the hr!
PostPosted: Sat Jul 12, 2014 9:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Imo injuries slowed down his development, he's missed 19 games in 3 years. If he remains healthy, I think he'll show his worth during the preseason and be a solid reserve and good special teams player during the year.

I'm not sure he 'breaks out though'... For that to happen he'll have to beat out Jarvis Jones or Jason Worilds, and I don't see that happening.
_________________
RIP SSFmike23md

"God made certain people to play football... Sean was one" JG
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
jebrick


Joined: 10 Jan 2006
Posts: 8286
Location: Indianapolis
PostPosted: Sun Jul 13, 2014 6:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

32houchen32 wrote:
He hasn't shown much. I still have hope, but time will tell during preseason if he is worth a roster spot.


He has shown an explosive first step in preseason games Wink
_________________

"You build with draft choices. You find people with talents adaptable to your plans and then you teach them to do things the way we do them." - Chuck Noll
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
BenderRodriguez


Joined: 14 May 2014
Posts: 2727
Location: #SteelerNation-We have six Lombardie's and you don't. Haters Hate
PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2014 8:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would be surprised if he made it to cut down.
_________________

BIG BEN 122/177 68.9 comp % 1365 yds 7tds 2int 100.1 QB Rating Yeah that's not MVP @ all
Quote:
LE'VEON BELL TRACKER
688 Total Yards
460 yds Rushing 1 td
228 yards receiving (9.5 yard avg)
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Chieferific


Joined: 24 Feb 2006
Posts: 3295
PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2014 2:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If the pass rush is dependent upon Carter having a breakout season, we're in trouble. Could he breakout? Sure. Will he? Highly doubtful. Just a note, the Eagles are looking at cutting B. Graham. He was the next man up in Michigan after Woodley and his game is Woodley-like. I'm not one of the guys that a soon as a player is cut I start foaming at the mouth and pray the Steelers make a play on him. I've been around long enough to know the FO doesn't work that way. However, given his youth, his similarity to Woodley, and assuming he'd be relatively cheap, I hope they kick the tires. He could work.
_________________

CKSteeler wrote:
And no, truth is not a 'fact.' Which is why they are two different words.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
jebrick


Joined: 10 Jan 2006
Posts: 8286
Location: Indianapolis
PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2014 2:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chieferific wrote:
If the pass rush is dependent upon Carter having a breakout season, we're in trouble. Could he breakout? Sure. Will he? Highly doubtful. Just a note, the Eagles are looking at cutting B. Graham. He was the next man up in Michigan after Woodley and his game is Woodley-like. I'm not one of the guys that a soon as a player is cut I start foaming at the mouth and pray the Steelers make a play on him. I've been around long enough to know the FO doesn't work that way. However, given his youth, his similarity to Woodley, and assuming he'd be relatively cheap, I hope they kick the tires. He could work.


I like to ask, "Why are they cutting him?" I'm sure the Steelers would not like many of the reasons.
_________________

"You build with draft choices. You find people with talents adaptable to your plans and then you teach them to do things the way we do them." - Chuck Noll
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Chieferific


Joined: 24 Feb 2006
Posts: 3295
PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2014 2:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jebrick wrote:
Chieferific wrote:
If the pass rush is dependent upon Carter having a breakout season, we're in trouble. Could he breakout? Sure. Will he? Highly doubtful. Just a note, the Eagles are looking at cutting B. Graham. He was the next man up in Michigan after Woodley and his game is Woodley-like. I'm not one of the guys that a soon as a player is cut I start foaming at the mouth and pray the Steelers make a play on him. I've been around long enough to know the FO doesn't work that way. However, given his youth, his similarity to Woodley, and assuming he'd be relatively cheap, I hope they kick the tires. He could work.


I like to ask, "Why are they cutting him?" I'm sure the Steelers would not like many of the reasons.

I'd answer, "Cause he's not a 4-3 DE." (6'2" 265). He's been ineffective (at least that's my assumption).
_________________

CKSteeler wrote:
And no, truth is not a 'fact.' Which is why they are two different words.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
turtle28


Joined: 21 Nov 2007
Posts: 65456
Location: MD/DC/VA depends on the hr!
PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2014 12:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chieferific wrote:
If the pass rush is dependent upon Carter having a breakout season, we're in trouble. Could he breakout? Sure. Will he? Highly doubtful. Just a note, the Eagles are looking at cutting B. Graham. He was the next man up in Michigan after Woodley and his game is Woodley-like. I'm not one of the guys that a soon as a player is cut I start foaming at the mouth and pray the Steelers make a play on him. I've been around long enough to know the FO doesn't work that way. However, given his youth, his similarity to Woodley, and assuming he'd be relatively cheap, I hope they kick the tires. He could work.
He's done about as much as Chris Carter in his career and he's a bad fit for the 3-4 defense. That's why he's getting cut.
_________________
RIP SSFmike23md

"God made certain people to play football... Sean was one" JG
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
turtle28


Joined: 21 Nov 2007
Posts: 65456
Location: MD/DC/VA depends on the hr!
PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2014 12:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chieferific wrote:
jebrick wrote:
Chieferific wrote:
If the pass rush is dependent upon Carter having a breakout season, we're in trouble. Could he breakout? Sure. Will he? Highly doubtful. Just a note, the Eagles are looking at cutting B. Graham. He was the next man up in Michigan after Woodley and his game is Woodley-like. I'm not one of the guys that a soon as a player is cut I start foaming at the mouth and pray the Steelers make a play on him. I've been around long enough to know the FO doesn't work that way. However, given his youth, his similarity to Woodley, and assuming he'd be relatively cheap, I hope they kick the tires. He could work.


I like to ask, "Why are they cutting him?" I'm sure the Steelers would not like many of the reasons.

I'd answer, "Cause he's not a 4-3 DE." (6'2" 265). He's been ineffective (at least that's my assumption).
The eagles played a 3-4 last year and he sucked in it, that's why they're considering cutting him
_________________
RIP SSFmike23md

"God made certain people to play football... Sean was one" JG
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
3rivers


Joined: 01 Jan 2011
Posts: 3008
PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2014 3:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

turtle28 wrote:
Chieferific wrote:
jebrick wrote:
Chieferific wrote:
If the pass rush is dependent upon Carter having a breakout season, we're in trouble. Could he breakout? Sure. Will he? Highly doubtful. Just a note, the Eagles are looking at cutting B. Graham. He was the next man up in Michigan after Woodley and his game is Woodley-like. I'm not one of the guys that a soon as a player is cut I start foaming at the mouth and pray the Steelers make a play on him. I've been around long enough to know the FO doesn't work that way. However, given his youth, his similarity to Woodley, and assuming he'd be relatively cheap, I hope they kick the tires. He could work.


I like to ask, "Why are they cutting him?" I'm sure the Steelers would not like many of the reasons.

I'd answer, "Cause he's not a 4-3 DE." (6'2" 265). He's been ineffective (at least that's my assumption).
The eagles played a 3-4 last year and he sucked in it, that's why they're considering cutting him


Steelers had an OLB play in the 3-4 last year as well, with similar results Applause
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Chieferific


Joined: 24 Feb 2006
Posts: 3295
PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2014 2:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

turtle28 wrote:
Chieferific wrote:
jebrick wrote:
Chieferific wrote:
If the pass rush is dependent upon Carter having a breakout season, we're in trouble. Could he breakout? Sure. Will he? Highly doubtful. Just a note, the Eagles are looking at cutting B. Graham. He was the next man up in Michigan after Woodley and his game is Woodley-like. I'm not one of the guys that a soon as a player is cut I start foaming at the mouth and pray the Steelers make a play on him. I've been around long enough to know the FO doesn't work that way. However, given his youth, his similarity to Woodley, and assuming he'd be relatively cheap, I hope they kick the tires. He could work.


I like to ask, "Why are they cutting him?" I'm sure the Steelers would not like many of the reasons.

I'd answer, "Cause he's not a 4-3 DE." (6'2" 265). He's been ineffective (at least that's my assumption).
The eagles played a 3-4 last year and he sucked in it, that's why they're considering cutting him

Didn't realize they switched but I
disagree with your assessment. He had 4 sacks and barely played. I'll take 4 in spot duty over 1 in full time duty.
_________________

CKSteeler wrote:
And no, truth is not a 'fact.' Which is why they are two different words.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
turtle28


Joined: 21 Nov 2007
Posts: 65456
Location: MD/DC/VA depends on the hr!
PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2014 3:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chieferific wrote:
turtle28 wrote:
Chieferific wrote:
jebrick wrote:
Chieferific wrote:
If the pass rush is dependent upon Carter having a breakout season, we're in trouble. Could he breakout? Sure. Will he? Highly doubtful. Just a note, the Eagles are looking at cutting B. Graham. He was the next man up in Michigan after Woodley and his game is Woodley-like. I'm not one of the guys that a soon as a player is cut I start foaming at the mouth and pray the Steelers make a play on him. I've been around long enough to know the FO doesn't work that way. However, given his youth, his similarity to Woodley, and assuming he'd be relatively cheap, I hope they kick the tires. He could work.


I like to ask, "Why are they cutting him?" I'm sure the Steelers would not like many of the reasons.

I'd answer, "Cause he's not a 4-3 DE." (6'2" 265). He's been ineffective (at least that's my assumption).
The eagles played a 3-4 last year and he sucked in it, that's why they're considering cutting him

Didn't realize they switched but I disagree with your assessment. He had 4 sacks and barely played. I'll take 4 in spot duty over 1 in full time duty.
1. Graham had 3 sacks last year, not 4.

2. He doesn't fit the 3-4 scheme as a traiditional OLB. In 2012 he had a better year as a LDE where he contributed 5.5 sacks despite only starting 6 games.

The Steelers would have to use him as a pass rush specialist - which is fine. They'd have to use him as a down lineman on 2nd and long or 3rd downs. Don't expect Brandon Graham to be dropping into coverage and doing much of anything.

As a pass rush specialist in obvious passing situations it could work. For example if they took out one of the big 3-4 DE's or McLendon on 3rd downs and inserted Brandon Graham, that would make some sense.
_________________
RIP SSFmike23md

"God made certain people to play football... Sean was one" JG
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Chieferific


Joined: 24 Feb 2006
Posts: 3295
PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2014 3:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

turtle28 wrote:
Chieferific wrote:
turtle28 wrote:
Chieferific wrote:
jebrick wrote:
Chieferific wrote:
If the pass rush is dependent upon Carter having a breakout season, we're in trouble. Could he breakout? Sure. Will he? Highly doubtful. Just a note, the Eagles are looking at cutting B. Graham. He was the next man up in Michigan after Woodley and his game is Woodley-like. I'm not one of the guys that a soon as a player is cut I start foaming at the mouth and pray the Steelers make a play on him. I've been around long enough to know the FO doesn't work that way. However, given his youth, his similarity to Woodley, and assuming he'd be relatively cheap, I hope they kick the tires. He could work.


I like to ask, "Why are they cutting him?" I'm sure the Steelers would not like many of the reasons.

I'd answer, "Cause he's not a 4-3 DE." (6'2" 265). He's been ineffective (at least that's my assumption).
The eagles played a 3-4 last year and he sucked in it, that's why they're considering cutting him

Didn't realize they switched but I disagree with your assessment. He had 4 sacks and barely played. I'll take 4 in spot duty over 1 in full time duty.
1. Graham had 3 sacks last year, not 4.

2. He doesn't fit the 3-4 scheme as a traiditional OLB. In 2012 he had a better year as a LDE where he contributed 5.5 sacks despite only starting 6 games.

The Steelers would have to use him as a pass rush specialist - which is fine. They'd have to use him as a down lineman on 2nd and long or 3rd downs. Don't expect Brandon Graham to be dropping into coverage and doing much of anything.

As a pass rush specialist in obvious passing situations it could work. For example if they took out one of the big 3-4 DE's or McLendon on 3rd downs and inserted Brandon Graham, that would make some sense.

The site I read had him w/4. NFL says 3 so we'll go w/3. But again...3>1 and in spot duty. He IS a 3-4 fit. Moreso than 4-3. He would be a pass rush specialist (ala Woodley). At least as good as what we have.
_________________

CKSteeler wrote:
And no, truth is not a 'fact.' Which is why they are two different words.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Pittsburgh Steelers All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum




Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group