Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Could OLB, Chris Carter break out this year?
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Pittsburgh Steelers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
turtle28

PostPosted: Sat Jun 28, 2014 7:33 pm    Post subject: Could OLB, Chris Carter break out this year? Reply with quote

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2014/06/28/can-chris-carter-become-next-steelers-lb-to-break-out-after-apprenticeship/

There have been times in the last few decades when young Steeler pass rushers have been written off by media and fans alike, only to see that pass rusher come out of nowhere to be the next great Steeler pass rusher.

So, why not 4th year OLB, Chris Carter?

Sure it's a long shot, but never say never. Who ever thought Clark Hagans would become what he was after not making the steelers roster early on his career? How bout James Harrison being cut by the Steelers & Ravens before finally making the steelers in his second stint, but it was still another year before he was starting and making a huge impact when Peezy left in free agency.

Quote:
After all, Carter is entering his fourth NFL season, and he wouldn’t be the first Steelers outside linebacker to find his way after spending several years as an understudy. For instance, Jason Worilds‘ breakout 2013 campaign (63 tackles, eight sacks) came in his fourth NFL season. Similarly, James Harrison and Clark Haggans both served multiyear stints as backups before becoming productive starters.

In a story in Saturday’s Pittsburgh Post-Gazette, Carter indicated he had been working on his pass coverage, as well as his arsenal of pass rush skills. And it’s his pass rushing that figures to determine where his NFL career goes from here. If Carter can generate some edge pressure this season, he could draw interest as an unrestricted free agent next offseason.

Carter told the Post-Gazette that his speed off the edge is “an element of my game that separates myself from a lot of people.” Now, more than ever, is the time to show that as he enters what could be a now-or-never season.

Again, I think it's a long shot that Carter makes a huge impact Thai season, burn you just never know...especially with the steelers and their young talent that many times comes out of nowhere to be stars.

"God made certain people to play football... Sean was one" JG
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
FourThreeMafia

PostPosted: Sat Jun 28, 2014 8:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No....and there is no reason to believe he will.

Haggans and Harrison were extreme exceptions. There are far more Arnold Harrison's, Bruce's Davis', Alonzo Jackson's and Andre Frazier's than there are Haggans and James Harrison's....and Carter is far closer to the former group than the latter. It would be one thing if Carter had EVER shown ANYTHING to be optimistic about, but he hasnt...and this is coming from someone who actually liked the pick when we drafted him. After watching him though...I just dont see it. I didnt like Worlids, but at least with Worlids, you could always see his explosion so he always had something to rely on, but Carter has no real explosion, slow to react, not a strong tackler, and is basically useless outside of special teams.

And at least in Harrison's case, he always showed the potential to be great, but he had to get his head on straight. Carter really hasnt shown anything, and is only on the team because he is solid on special teams.

Honestly hoping he doesnt make the roster....but he likely will simply because we have nothing else. Hoping we either sign someone else or that young UDFA we got can show enough, at least on special teams, to make them let Carter go.

I have more faith in Jarvis Jones and Arthur Moats breaking out and being great....and Im not even optimistic about that.

Madden 25 Steelers Franchise
Steeler Hitman

PostPosted: Sun Jun 29, 2014 3:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It would be great if that happened, but I do not think it will. I agree with what 43mafia said. I am hoping that he has a breakout like Worilds did last year, but Carter has actually been given some opportunities to shine, but hasn't made the most of his opportunities so far.

Hopefully he comes to life this pre-season, otherwise he will be seeking employment elsewhere or a new career choice.

Thanks for the Sig CalhounLambeau!
Ward4HOF

PostPosted: Sun Jun 29, 2014 5:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Had such high hopes for him when we drafted him. His speed at that position was impressive, and along with his production in college, I thought he would be, at worst, 2nd fiddle to Woodley on the opposite side.

Now it seems the best we could hope for is he ends up being backup, essentially, 3rd OLB (combined) on the depth chart.

True shame. He truly has barely produced at the expected level of a 5th Round pick.

Props to Jamison on the sweet sig!!!
kethnaab

PostPosted: Sun Jun 29, 2014 7:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

FourThreeMafia wrote:

y'know, we both said the same thing about Worilds last season. I'm not saying you're wrong. I agree with you, but I just cannot say that anymore about someone who at least is either fast or strong. All Worilds ever had was quickness. That's all Carter has. Is it going to happen? Nah, but hell, I just cannot say that Carter won't (although if I had to put money on it, I would bet against him)
3rivers

PostPosted: Sun Jun 29, 2014 8:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Could OLB, Chris Carter break out this year? Reply with quote

turtle28 wrote:
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2014/06/28/can-chris-carter-become-next-steelers-lb-to-break-out-after-apprenticeship/

There have been times in the last few decades when young Steeler pass rushers have been written off by media and fans alike, only to see that pass rusher come out of nowhere to be the next great Steeler pass rusher.

So, why not 4th year OLB, Chris Carter?

Sure it's a long shot, but never say never. Who ever thought Clark Hagans would become what he was after not making the steelers roster early on his career? How bout James Harrison being cut by the Steelers & Ravens before finally making the steelers in his second stint, but it was still another year before he was starting and making a huge impact when Peezy left in free agency.

Quote:
After all, Carter is entering his fourth NFL season, and he wouldn’t be the first Steelers outside linebacker to find his way after spending several years as an understudy. For instance, Jason Worilds‘ breakout 2013 campaign (63 tackles, eight sacks) came in his fourth NFL season. Similarly, James Harrison and Clark Haggans both served multiyear stints as backups before becoming productive starters.

In a story in Saturday’s Pittsburgh Post-Gazette, Carter indicated he had been working on his pass coverage, as well as his arsenal of pass rush skills. And it’s his pass rushing that figures to determine where his NFL career goes from here. If Carter can generate some edge pressure this season, he could draw interest as an unrestricted free agent next offseason.

Carter told the Post-Gazette that his speed off the edge is “an element of my game that separates myself from a lot of people.” Now, more than ever, is the time to show that as he enters what could be a now-or-never season.

Again, I think it's a long shot that Carter makes a huge impact Thai season, burn you just never know...especially with the steelers and their young talent that many times comes out of nowhere to be stars.

will he get the chance?

To me it is a no brainer that they should bring back Harrison so that ends this for me. Idea
waffles7

PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2014 2:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah this dude is a bum, I hope we resign Deebo and cut this fool lose.

Kind of makes me wish we held on to Adrian Robinson last offseason instead of shipping him across state. I liked his potential more that Carter's, after Carter's first 2 seasons I knew it was a mater of time before he was out of the league.

Location: #SteelerNation-We have six Lombardie's and you don't. Haters Hate
PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2014 8:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

He does not have a regular season sack in three seasons. He is probably one of the worst third round picks of recent memory. He got out played last pre season by a guy who can't stick on a 53 man roster.

BIG BEN 122/177 68.9 comp % 1365 yds 7tds 2int 100.1 QB Rating Yeah that's not MVP @ all
Quote:
LE'VEON BELL TRACKER
688 Total Yards
460 yds Rushing 1 td
228 yards receiving (9.5 yard avg)
MightyJoeYoung

PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2014 9:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

BenderRodriguez wrote:

He does not have a regular season sack in three seasons. He is probably one of the worst third round picks of recent memory. He got out played last pre season by a guy who can't stick on a 53 man roster.

He's actually a 5th rounder.

As such, he's actually done better than most

Thanks to Joe_is_the_best for the sig

"The King Stay the King"
wwhickok

PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2014 10:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The sad part is I think he already has broken out to his full NFL potential.

Sig courtesy of IDOG

PSN (PS3) -- wwhickok
FourThreeMafia

PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2014 10:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kethnaab wrote:
FourThreeMafia wrote:

y'know, we both said the same thing about Worilds last season. I'm not saying you're wrong. I agree with you, but I just cannot say that anymore about someone who at least is either fast or strong. All Worilds ever had was quickness. That's all Carter has. Is it going to happen? Nah, but hell, I just cannot say that Carter won't (although if I had to put money on it, I would bet against him)

I didnt like Worilds, obviously, but he at least showed he had good explosion and that he could occasionally make a play. Ive never seen that from Carter. Ive never really seen any positives from Carter outside of special teams.

Never say never....I get that and agree with it....however, as I stated, there are far more players who wash out of the league than turn it around.

Again...ANYTHING can happen, but outlook is buh-leak.

Madden 25 Steelers Franchise
jebrick

PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2014 11:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

wwhickok wrote:

I do not notice Carter on special teams. Generally, exceptional players will be exceptional on special teams. The aforementioned Deebo was a terror on the punt teams.

"You build with draft choices. You find people with talents adaptable to your plans and then you teach them to do things the way we do them." - Chuck Noll
BenderRodriguez

Location: #SteelerNation-We have six Lombardie's and you don't. Haters Hate
PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2014 12:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Correcting my earlier statement, he definitely is a 5th rounder. But also he has 9 career tackles. Rolling Eyes this off season is probably his last.

BIG BEN 122/177 68.9 comp % 1365 yds 7tds 2int 100.1 QB Rating Yeah that's not MVP @ all
Quote:
LE'VEON BELL TRACKER
688 Total Yards
460 yds Rushing 1 td
228 yards receiving (9.5 yard avg)
wwhickok

PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2014 12:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jebrick wrote:
wwhickok wrote:

I do not notice Carter on special teams. Generally, exceptional players will be exceptional on special teams. The aforementioned Deebo was a terror on the punt teams.

My point was, I think he's as good as he's ever going to get. I don't notice Chris on the field no matter what he's doing, heck, I don't even notice him on the sidelines.

The chances of this guy breaking out into a quality player, imo, are slim to none.

Sig courtesy of IDOG

PSN (PS3) -- wwhickok
1BackInBlackFan

PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2014 12:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I thought he was going to be a steal when he was selected in the fifth round. The only thing he has stolen so far is a paycheck. Even with the lack at depth at OLB it wouldn't surprise me to see him unable to make the regular season roster.

Many thanks to UniversalAuthor for Big Ben's sig

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Pittsburgh Steelers All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: