Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

The Doghouse
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Pittsburgh Steelers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jebrick

PostPosted: Fri Jun 27, 2014 12:45 pm    Post subject: The Doghouse Reply with quote

http://www.behindthesteelcurtain.com/pittsburgh-steelers-nfl-features-news-blog/2014/6/27/5807652/steelers-maurkice-pouncey-contract-2014

A good post on Behind the Steel Curtain on the fan's doghouse and who gets put in there.

Quote:
Sometimes being a part of Steelers Nation is like being back in middle school.

In that adolescent hot house people will love or hate for the right reasons, but also for all the wrong reasons. We all like to think that we're all grown up and have left that phase of our life behind us, but you know what? Maybe not.

You started hearing it about Pouncey several weeks ago. 'Yeah, Mack just got this new deal, Maurkice's extension is going to be coming up. He may want a lot of money and may be difficult to sign. And he's been hurt. He's been hurt a lot. Why don't we trade him?'

What?

Quote:
Take William Gay.

He had a pretty good year in 2013 which was enough to get him out of the doghouse. He can play in the yard for now, but he's not joining the rest of the family inside. You can feel people glancing at him out of the corner of their eyes, waiting, a newspaper always within reach. He will remain outside, in the cold, the snow, the dark. Occasionally, someone will toss him a scrap of a pork chop. They are waiting for that one misstep, that one blown coverage, and then they're going to roll up that newspaper and BEAT THE SH*T OUT OF HIM, and toss his whimpering carcass head first into that doghouse, all the time muttering "I knew it, I knew it." He won't be the first, he won't be the last. Willie Colon, Charlie Batch, Deshea Townsend, Manny Sanders, there will always be one or two who will never measure up. You do know that Guy Whimper is doomed don't you?

"You build with draft choices. You find people with talents adaptable to your plans and then you teach them to do things the way we do them." - Chuck Noll
SlevinKelevra

PostPosted: Fri Jun 27, 2014 1:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

good enough for the coaches, good enough for the fans!
Laughing
Chieferific

PostPosted: Fri Jun 27, 2014 2:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is it coincidence that most of the players that end up in the "doghouse" are the sucky ones? It's not often that elite players are are placed there. That list of players given is a collection of crap. So yeah, play crappy and get put in there. Why is this suprising?

CKSteeler wrote:
And no, truth is not a 'fact.' Which is why they are two different words.
jebrick

PostPosted: Sat Jun 28, 2014 8:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Like Troy or Pouncey or Heyward? Yes. They are stinking and deserve to be in the doghouse.

"You build with draft choices. You find people with talents adaptable to your plans and then you teach them to do things the way we do them." - Chuck Noll
FourThreeMafia

PostPosted: Sat Jun 28, 2014 8:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jebrick wrote:
Like Troy or Pouncey or Heyward? Yes. They are stinking and deserve to be in the doghouse.

Huh?

I assume this was intended as sarcasm, but still made me do a double take.

Madden 25 Steelers Franchise
jebrick

PostPosted: Sat Jun 28, 2014 11:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sarcasm due to the comment from Chieferific that only sucky players get in the fan doghouse. I was trying to point out other players that had been in the doghouse that are not now. Heyward was considered a bust until last year by many and now he is the greatest player on the Dline since AS.

Chieferific

PostPosted: Sat Jun 28, 2014 12:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jebrick wrote:
Sarcasm due to the comment from Chieferific that only sucky players get in the fan doghouse. I was trying to point out other players that had been in the doghouse that are not now. Heyward was considered a bust until last year by many and now he is the greatest player on the Dline since AS.

Doghouse=Not playing. When did a healthy Troy sit on the bench? Or for that matter a healthy Pouncey (his level of suckiness can be debated)? Heyward was stuck behind a veteran. I don't see that as a "doghouse thing. So I ask again....What elite player was "in the doghouse"? They're aren't any.

CKSteeler wrote:
Chieferific

PostPosted: Sat Jun 28, 2014 12:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jebrick wrote:

Ahhh, nevermind Embarassed

CKSteeler wrote:
Ghengis Graz

PostPosted: Sat Jun 28, 2014 6:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chieferific wrote:
jebrick wrote:

Doghouse=Not playing. When did a healthy Troy sit on the bench? Or for that matter a healthy Pouncey (his level of suckiness can be debated)? Heyward was stuck behind a veteran. I don't see that as a "doghouse thing. So I ask again....What elite player was "in the doghouse"? They're aren't any.

troy was actually in the doghouse his rookie year. We traded up to get him and he did not make a positive impact at all that first year. I was at a game when he had an interception go right through his hands right in front of the endzone.
Chieferific

PostPosted: Sat Jun 28, 2014 9:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ghengis Graz wrote:
Chieferific wrote:
jebrick wrote:

troy was actually in the doghouse his rookie year. We traded up to get him and he did not make a positive impact at all that first year. I was at a game when he had an interception go right through his hands right in front of the endzone.

Troy was a Rookie. That was why he didn't play.

CKSteeler wrote:
Ghengis Graz

PostPosted: Sat Jun 28, 2014 9:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chieferific wrote:
Ghengis Graz wrote:
Chieferific wrote:
jebrick wrote:

This is about the fans doghouse. This is not about being in the coaches doghouse and not playing. He was in it because he did not have more of an impact as a rookie and sucked when he did get in. He was booed big time when he missed the interception I mentioned.
Chieferific

PostPosted: Sat Jun 28, 2014 11:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ghengis Graz wrote:
Chieferific wrote:
Ghengis Graz wrote:
Chieferific wrote:
jebrick wrote:

This is about the fans doghouse. This is not about being in the coaches doghouse and not playing. He was in it because he did not have more of an impact as a rookie and sucked when he did get in. He was booed big time when he missed the interception I mentioned.

Yeah, I finally figured that out but you quoted my post regarding the coach's doghouse so I thought you were referring to the coach's aspect. I agree fans were down on Troy at first. They were expecting greatness from the get go. After all, if you trade up for a guy he should start. Right?

CKSteeler wrote:
Rygar

PostPosted: Sun Jun 29, 2014 5:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is exactly why a person has to do more than just wear Steelers gear on game days to earn my respect. I get so sick and tired of how irrational so many Steeler fans can be.

I'm tired of the impatience. Many of us labeled Troy Polamalu, Lawrence Timmons and Cameron Heyward "busts" because they didn't make big impacts in their first season or two. Kind of a premature assessment of all three players, don't you think?

I'm tired of the way so many of us treat our QBs. After helping the Steelers win four Super Bowls, Terry Bradshaw didn't feel welcome in Pittsburgh for about 20 years after he retired. Kordell Stewart has never come back. Ben Roethlisberger takes a lot of verbal abuse as well.

I'm tired of all the conspiracy theories. I'm no fan of Roger Goodell, but no, he does not rig anything specifically to hurt the Steelers, or to benefit the Ravens or Patriots. Leave the conspiracy theories to the sore losers who hate us.

I'm tired of much of the criticism aimed at Mike Tomlin. Yeah, his clock management sucks, but I think it's stupid the way some fans assume that every bad craft pick is on him, and even stupider when some fans call him a "token hire." Racist much?

Speaking of bad draft picks, I'm also tired of the over-the-top criticism of Kevin Colbert. Yeah, 2008 was bad and 2009 wasn't much better, but every draft since has been good. Two bad drafts out of 15 isn't enough for me to fire him.

What I'm most tired of these days is the desire to blow up the team after consecutive 8-8 seasons. Here's a list of how many seasons (out of 15) the 31 other NFL teams have finished worse than that since 2000:

12 - Cleveland Browns
12 - Detroit Lions
11 - Buffalo Bills
9 - Arizona Cardinals
9 - Jacksonville Jaguars
9 - Oakland Raiders
9 - St. Louis Rams
8 - Carolina Panthers
8 - Kansas City Chiefs
8 - San Francisco 49ers
8 - Washington Redskins
7 - Houston Texans
7 - Miami Dolphins
7 - Tampa Bay Buccaneers
6 - Atlanta Falcons
6 - Chicago Bears
6 - Cincinnati Bengals
6 - Minnesota Vikings
6 - New Orleans Saints
6 - Seattle Seahawks
6 - Tennessee Titans
5 - Dallas Cowboys
4 - New York Giants
4 - New York Jets
4 - San Diego Chargers
3 - Baltimore Ravens
2 - Denver Broncos
2 - Green Bay Packers
2 - Indianapolis Colts
2 - Philadelphia Eagles
1 - New England Patriots

The Steelers have only one losing record this century, tied with the Patriots for the fewest. Time to grow a pair and accept the fact that the Steelers aren't going to be great every season. We're lucky that 8-8 has been the worst we've dealt with in the last 10 years.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 29, 2014 1:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
The Steelers have only one losing record this century, tied with the Patriots for the fewest. Time to grow a pair and accept the fact that the Steelers aren't going to be great every season. We're lucky that 8-8 has been the worst we've dealt with in the last 10 years.

Yep, and that lone losing season netted us Ben, so thank goodness for "sporadic" poor seasons!

And it's not only Steeler fans that act that way against the Steelers...go the the NFL Gen forum and we are like "garbage". Hilarious--2 8-8 seasons, while not great, of course, is not that bad.

I will say, though, that many of the negative comments from Steeler fans are definitely directed more toward "doghouse" players than the team as a whole.

The point really, which you are getting at, are that Steeler fans or "spoiled" and expect to be in the playoffs every year. While that would be nice, I still feel fortunate to be a fan of a team that actually does win every once in awhile.

Disagree with you on the Goodell piece...he definitely has a hatred of the Steelers...especially Ben. He tarnished Ben's legacy! j/k (That statement was for 43M and JD! Wink Had to be done! LOL)

Props to Jamison on the sweet sig!!!
jebrick

PostPosted: Sun Jun 29, 2014 2:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the piece was more about some of the odd reasons that players end up in fan's doghouses. Ziggy Hood was one that was in the doghouse since he was drafted. Gilbert is another. If the fan does not like the draft pick, into the doghouse the player goes.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Pittsburgh Steelers All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: