Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

 FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Are #1 WR's really worth $16mil per year
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Dallas Cowboys
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
GeneralDissaray


Joined: 07 Apr 2006
Posts: 5508
PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2014 12:52 pm    Post subject: Are #1 WR's really worth $16mil per year Reply with quote

With Dez in the last year of his contract, and looking at what Calvin Johnson averaged, which was $16mil on his contract, I was just wondering if most people thought the position of #1 WR is worth that much. I'm not debating whether Dez is worth that much, just whether his position warrants that kind of cap hit. From the teams in the playoffs, only 4 teams really have a premiere #1(Denver, Cincy, Philly, and Green Bay). Also, the best TE's in the game average between $7 and $9mil.

I know even mentioning another TE will send this forum into panic, but would we be better trying to obtain a premiere receiving TE, and trading/letting Dez walk? Just a thought.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
MaddHatter


Joined: 29 Nov 2006
Posts: 45811
Location: ROH Class of 14
PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2014 1:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No human being deserves that much money - but the market bears it so they can get it.
_________________


Tony Romo: 70.3% Completion (1st) | 8.0 TD% (1st) | 2.0% INT% | 8.5 YPA (1st) | 114.4 PSR (1st) | 82.3 QBR (1st) | 2014 MVP Candidate
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
htfryar


Joined: 14 Feb 2005
Posts: 11058
Location: Hot Springs, Arkansas
PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2014 1:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you want to play the "does he deserve it" game, how about actors? Will Smith plays pretty much the exact same guy in every movie, with the exception of Bagger Vance & 8 pounds, yet he gets 20 plus million per movie.

I keep thinking that some QB is going to wise up and realize that if the team paid him 10-15 million per season instead of 25 million, the team could afford to get him some more weapons. NO top level QB is ever going to do that though, because they really don't care about winning as much as they care about making money. Fans care a lot more about whether or not a team wins than the players do.
_________________


Cowboys Forum Ring of Honor Class of 2013
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Yahoo Messenger
buckwild


Joined: 25 Jan 2011
Posts: 1984
Location: Ft Worth, Tx
PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2014 2:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No one is worth that much money, but expect Dez to get 12+million a year as his agent will start just below Calvin Johnson money. It's entirely in the eye of the beholder whether or not he is worth it, but don't see a hometown discount as Dez will want Top 5 WR money.

That's up to Jerry to decide, but to me no one is irreplaceable that's how NE has stayed relevant for all these years. Even the year Brady was injured Week 1 they went 10-6 with Matt Cassel.
_________________


Thanks Mike23md for the Sig
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
CowboysTilIDie


Joined: 09 Jan 2012
Posts: 3717
Location: Amarillo, TX
PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2014 4:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

htfryar wrote:
If you want to play the "does he deserve it" game, how about actors? Will Smith plays pretty much the exact same guy in every movie, with the exception of Bagger Vance & 8 pounds, yet he gets 20 plus million per movie.


Whoa. I'm not sure what Will Smith did to get involved in this but leave the man out of it!


_________________

Thanks for the sig LORK!

Official Supporter of "The Process."
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
htfryar


Joined: 14 Feb 2005
Posts: 11058
Location: Hot Springs, Arkansas
PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2014 7:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CowboysTilIDie wrote:
htfryar wrote:
If you want to play the "does he deserve it" game, how about actors? Will Smith plays pretty much the exact same guy in every movie, with the exception of Bagger Vance & 8 pounds, yet he gets 20 plus million per movie.


Whoa. I'm not sure what Will Smith did to get involved in this but leave the man out of it!



There is no difference between his character in Independence Day, Wild Wild West, the MIB movies, I Robot, I am Legend, etc. Even in Ali it came across as Will Smith playing his stock character playing Ali. The only times he seemed like a truly different character was Bagger Vance, Happiness & 8 Pounds (all 3 of which were the same character). The reason I brought him up is that for someone with no more acting range than he has, he makes All Pro QB money. That's pretty damn ridiculous. Especially when you consider he can play the same amount of characters as Ben Stiller, who can either be a lovable loser or an over the top macho guy.

My main point is, actors can make 2-3 movies per year. Some of them, like Will Smith, get Peyton Manning money for each movie. That makes them even more over paid than pro athletes. No one should be paid more than soldiers, cops, fire fighters, doctors, nurses, EMT's or teachers. Those people save lives or teach our kids. Those professions are infinitely more impressive than acting, throwing passes, hitting baseballs or shooting 3 pointers. The fact that entertainers are paid more than people who actually do something important is effing ridiculous.
_________________


Cowboys Forum Ring of Honor Class of 2013
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Yahoo Messenger
CowboysTilIDie


Joined: 09 Jan 2012
Posts: 3717
Location: Amarillo, TX
PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2014 10:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

To be fair to Mr. Smith, the majority of actors these days play largely similar roles throughout their acting careers.
_________________

Thanks for the sig LORK!

Official Supporter of "The Process."
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Justin Hoover82


Joined: 18 Jan 2013
Posts: 2530
Location: Ft.Worth Texas
PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2014 11:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

htfryar wrote:
CowboysTilIDie wrote:
htfryar wrote:
If you want to play the "does he deserve it" game, how about actors? Will Smith plays pretty much the exact same guy in every movie, with the exception of Bagger Vance & 8 pounds, yet he gets 20 plus million per movie.


Whoa. I'm not sure what Will Smith did to get involved in this but leave the man out of it!



There is no difference between his character in Independence Day, Wild Wild West, the MIB movies, I Robot, I am Legend, etc. Even in Ali it came across as Will Smith playing his stock character playing Ali. The only times he seemed like a truly different character was Bagger Vance, Happiness & 8 Pounds (all 3 of which were the same character). The reason I brought him up is that for someone with no more acting range than he has, he makes All Pro QB money. That's pretty damn ridiculous. Especially when you consider he can play the same amount of characters as Ben Stiller, who can either be a lovable loser or an over the top macho guy.

My main point is, actors can make 2-3 movies per year. Some of them, like Will Smith, get Peyton Manning money for each movie. That makes them even more over paid than pro athletes. No one should be paid more than soldiers, cops, fire fighters, doctors, nurses, EMT's or teachers. Those people save lives or teach our kids. Those professions are infinitely more impressive than acting, throwing passes, hitting baseballs or shooting 3 pointers. The fact that entertainers are paid more than people who actually do something important is effing ridiculous.


Yes but who is going to be able to afford the salaries of all those jobs you say deserve it? WE WOULD, THE TAX PAYER! Trust me, sounds like a moral high but in the end it would bankrupt us all!
_________________
AMERICA'S TEAM and 5x SB CHAMPIONS = DALLAS COWBOYS!!!!!

Joe_is_the_best on the sig!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
Nextyearfordaboyz


Joined: 11 Jan 2005
Posts: 17328
PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2014 12:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You are worth what someone is willing to pay you. Will Smith brings millions of dollars in at the box office. That's why he gets paid, and deserves it. Dez can do things very few people on this planet can do. That's why he'll get paid, and deserves to be paid. If you are uniquely talented, you are going to make money at it, and you deserve it.

As to the original question, yes, I do think certain WRs are worth that kind of money. Guys like Dez and Calvin change the game.
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Justin Hoover82


Joined: 18 Jan 2013
Posts: 2530
Location: Ft.Worth Texas
PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2014 6:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

16m is really high for anyone outside of QB imo. I think Dez should get paid well but more like 10m per yr.
5 yrs 50m with 20m guaranteed seems legit to me.
_________________
AMERICA'S TEAM and 5x SB CHAMPIONS = DALLAS COWBOYS!!!!!

Joe_is_the_best on the sig!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
GeneralDissaray


Joined: 07 Apr 2006
Posts: 5508
PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2014 8:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Justin Hoover82 wrote:
16m is really high for anyone outside of QB imo. I think Dez should get paid well but more like 10m per yr.
5 yrs 50m with 20m guaranteed seems legit to me.


Thanks for the only legit response. To the others, I wasn't asking the moronic question of whether athletes or entertainers are overpaid. That's a pointless debate. I was asking whether a #1 WR is worth approximately $16 per year as it pertains to what other positions are paid, and also relative to the cap. Even if we get the best WR in the league at a young age, is it good value compared to a TE or other positions for their production, and how much cap space they eat?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
flyingmonkey30


Moderator
Joined: 04 Mar 2007
Posts: 6684
PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2014 8:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Its tough to say, for me. Obviously, its very difficult to let a premier talent like Dez Bryant walk for a 3rd round comp pick. At the same time you see a team like Seattle win a ring with Doug Baldwin and Jermaine Kearse as two of their best WRs. The money that is going to be tied up in Dez could be used on more impactful positions.
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
buckwild


Joined: 25 Jan 2011
Posts: 1984
Location: Ft Worth, Tx
PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2014 10:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

GeneralDissaray wrote:
Justin Hoover82 wrote:
16m is really high for anyone outside of QB imo. I think Dez should get paid well but more like 10m per yr.
5 yrs 50m with 20m guaranteed seems legit to me.


Thanks for the only legit response. To the others, I wasn't asking the moronic question of whether athletes or entertainers are overpaid. That's a pointless debate. I was asking whether a #1 WR is worth approximately $16 per year as it pertains to what other positions are paid, and also relative to the cap. Even if we get the best WR in the league at a young age, is it good value compared to a TE or other positions for their production, and how much cap space they eat?


Dez is going ask for way more than that as Mike Wallace got 5/$60 so factor in average of Top 5 WR so about 12-15 million a year with 30+guaranteed. QB is the only position that deserves 15+ million a year as they have the most impact on the game.
_________________


Thanks Mike23md for the Sig
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
GeneralDissaray


Joined: 07 Apr 2006
Posts: 5508
PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2014 11:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

buckwild wrote:
GeneralDissaray wrote:
Justin Hoover82 wrote:
16m is really high for anyone outside of QB imo. I think Dez should get paid well but more like 10m per yr.
5 yrs 50m with 20m guaranteed seems legit to me.


Thanks for the only legit response. To the others, I wasn't asking the moronic question of whether athletes or entertainers are overpaid. That's a pointless debate. I was asking whether a #1 WR is worth approximately $16 per year as it pertains to what other positions are paid, and also relative to the cap. Even if we get the best WR in the league at a young age, is it good value compared to a TE or other positions for their production, and how much cap space they eat?


Dez is going ask for way more than that as Mike Wallace got 5/$60 so factor in average of Top 5 WR so about 12-15 million a year with 30+guaranteed. QB is the only position that deserves 15+ million a year as they have the most impact on the game.


Yes. QB's touch the ball on every offensive down. Top WR's average 6-8 receptions per game. Now a WR like Dez does for defenses to commit a safety. Thus, opening the middle and making running the ball easier.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
The_Slamman


Joined: 06 Feb 2005
Posts: 13774
Location: Las Vegas, NV
PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2014 12:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lets look at this from a business model. Allegedly the cap will be $150M next year. There are 53 men on the roster and 8 practice squad that count against salary cap. There are 3 dedicated special teams guys. That leaves 25 roster spots for the offense and 25 for the defense (on average). Now, if we split the money 50/50 between offense and defense, each side of the ball will have about 72M to work with after special teams, practice squad and injury settlements are taken into account. Can you pay a WR $16M and still field a good offense? Sure. There would still be remaining 56m for 24 guys. Now if you are paying a QB 20M, it gets more problematic. Now you are down to 36M for 23 guys. If you are paying your LT 8M, your down to 28M for 22 guys. If you are paying you TE 6m, you are down to 22m for 21 guys. As you can see, you are basically filling out the rest of the offensive roster with Veteran minimum type players and players on their rookie deals. Can it work? Sure but the team must hit on its draft picks and you can't have a lot of dead money eating up the cap space.
_________________
Northland wrote:
If mediocrity is your SuperBowl then Garrett is your Lombardi.


Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Dallas Cowboys All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum




Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group