Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Raiders Position Outlook Thread and Discussion:
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Oakland Raiders
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MrOaktown_56

PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2014 1:54 am    Post subject: Raiders Position Outlook Thread and Discussion: Reply with quote

Here I'm gonna make posts on the state of different positions on the team, analyzing the starters,backups, and 2015 draft prospects based on scheme fit, production, and skills.

The positions i'm gonna be covering include:
Defensive End (LE and RE):
Defensive Tackle(UT and NT):
Cornerback:
Safety(FS and SS):
Wide Receiver:
Tight End:
Running Back:

and maybe Linebacker,Quarterback, and Fullback.
MrOaktown_56

PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2014 3:09 am    Post subject: Defensive Ends: Reply with quote

Current Players:
Justin Tuck

Lamarr Woodley
Denico Autry
Jack Crawford
Ryan Robinson

The Starters:

Justin Tuck:

Profile:
Tuck brings a lot to the raiders roster, including toughness, "leadership", and a relentless motor. He is listed as a defensive end, but I think he plays his best football on 3rd down when he lines up in between guard and tackle, allowing him to use his quickness to generate interior pass rush.Last year, he had 9.5 sacks in the last 6 games he played in. Bagga pointed out that he did have a number of sacks against a poor redskins interior line, but it's worth noting that the Chiefs will have a similarly poor interior line next year after losing Jon Asamoah and Geoff Schwartz, two of the NFL's best guard prospects. The chargers are also average at left guard (according to PFF as well).
Scheme Fit:
The raiders will likely take advantage of Tuck's UT ability on 3rd down and likely play him inside on obvious passing downs next to Antonio Smith. On running downs, Tuck will likely play the LE position based on his ability to anchor quite well versus the run. PFF graded him as a top 10 4-3 Defensive End last year mainly for his ability to stop the run. His pass rush was graded out only as a slight positive.
Intangibles:
Tuck is 31 years old, but unlike some DE's, tuck's pass rush ability is based on a number of factors, including strength, hand use, and some burst, as opposed to being a speed rusher. I wouldn't expect a significant decline. I feel that tuck will have a similar year to last year if only because of the ripple effect of the other players on the defensive line. Last year, the Giants had no real pass rushing threats who played with tuck, as JPP was not 100%, Linval Joseph was primarily a run stopper, Cullen Jenkins was solid, and Mathias Kiawanuka was mediocre at getting to the quarterback. Playing in a nickel package featuring lamarr woodley, khalil mack, and antonio smith will boost everyones level and lead to tuck generating solid pressure this year.
Predictions:
60 Tackles,7 Sacks, 1 FF

Lamarr Woodley:

Profile:After headlining the Steelers pass rush and reaching all pro status in 2009, Lamarr Woodley fell victim to a number of injuries in 2012 and 2013, finishing each season with a mediocre 4 and 5 sacks respectively. At 29, Woodley still figures to be in his "prime" and the steelers, if not for Jason Worilds, and Woodley's large cap number, would liked to have kept him so clearly he has some juice still in the tank.
Scheme Fit:
Woodley rushed from the weak side in pittsburgh, meaning that he used his quickness and strength to take advantage of generally slower, less coordinated right tackles.In Jason Tarver's defense, Woodley may end up playing RE on running downs, but LE on passing downs imvho due to his familiarity and effectiveness when lined up on that side. He may also be a stand up rusher on 3rd down, considering that PFF actually noted that the raiders often had Lamarr Houston stand up as a rush linebacker (crazy right?) on 3rd down a decent amount.
Intangibles:
While most of the teams on our schedule (cleveland,denver, arizona,buffalo,miami,seattle,st. louis,new england) have good left tackles, not a lot of the teams on our schedule have good right tackles. In fact, Arizona and KC have horrible players at RT and the Seahawks,Jets, and Dolphins will either be shaky or feature rookies on the right side. For this reason, assuming Woodley stays healthy, I feel that Woodley will have a bounce back year.
Stat Prediction:
50 tackles, 9 sacks, 1 forced fumble.

Backups:

Jack Crawford:
Since being drafted, Crawford hasn't had much of a chance to do a whole lot. He looked solid at times in preseason play and may be called upon to play additional snaps in 2014, but i'm not very optimistic about his future.
Ryan Robinson:
Robinson has some good speed around the edge and I could see him getting a few snaps here or there in sub package play.
Autry is a bit of a wildcard but I'd consider him a PS player at the moment.

2015 Draft/Watch List:

I wouldn't consider DE to be our biggest need in the 2015 draft, but I feel that Reggie will definitely target guys in rounds 2-4 who can rush the passer and be future starters for us. I think most of the good RE prospects will go early in round 1 so most of the guys I'm watching are left ends with the ability to play inside and outside. All the guys below could rotate in and out before taking over as starters in 2016. Heck if tuck or woodley falter, one of these guys may be starting for us next year.

Some guys to keep an eye on:

Cedric Reed-Texas:Great run defender and prototypical LE. Forced 5 fumbles last year.FIVE. Great numbers and could be a first round pick, but he looks to be a target, especially if a poor combine pushes him down to the mid to early 2nd (where we will likely pick).

Trey Flowers-Arkansas:Like reed, another good LE prospect and likely mid rounder. Check him out here vs Rutgers (http://draftbreakdown.com/video/trey-flowers-vs-rutgers-2013/).

Ray Drew-Georgia:My favorite "sleeper" in the 2015 draft class at end. He's a kind of 3-4DE Tweener who would fit well in a 4-3 as a left end. He plays hard and has an impressive bull rush. He may end up a first round pick, but has been overshadowed by the sheer depth and talent of a 2015 class featuring Mario Edwards, Randy Gregory, Devonte Fields, Vic Beasly,Dante Fowler, Bendarrick Mckinney, Michael Bennett, and other stud Dlineman and pass rushers. His game vs Tennessee highlights his skill set very well against Ja'Wuan James no less. (http://draftbreakdown.com/video/ray-drew-vs-tennessee-2013/)

Shawn Oakman-Baylor:At 6-9 280, Oakman may add weight, but he ideally would play 3-4 defensive end. He has good slipperiness, and while he lacks production, he figures to be a difference maker at the next level with good coaching. I see him going in the early 2nd at the latest, but if he slides he would look awfully good in silver and black. Check him out here vs oklahoma (http://draftbreakdown.com/video/shawn-oakman-vs-oklahoma-2013/).

Any feedback would be appreciated![/img]
Rolni

PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2014 3:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Justin Tuck had 2 pretty forgetable year previous to this "good" one as a pass rusher. On the other hand he is a good run stopping LDE and I also like his ability to slide inside and bring pressure.

Woodley could be the bigger factor as a pass rusher IMO if he can stay healthy. Which is a big IF based on his last seasons.
He will play from stand up like Houston did almost exclusively which is good since he is familiar with that. The question will be his ability to beat LT's since he played against RT's in his prime and lost a few steps since then. On the other side he is also a power guy not a tipical speed rusher, so if healthy he can be a factor.

Crawford could be the biggest winner with the Tuck signing, since he is a similar LDE/UT power guy IMO. We will see how he performs...

Robinson could be a rotational option at RDE at best...

I'm suprised you didn't mentioned Mack here. Mack will slide down to LDE a lot when Tuck is inside. He could be a terror for the RT's with his speed, ability to go low and his power. He will be a big factor IMO.
MrOaktown_56

PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2014 3:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rolni wrote:
Justin Tuck had 2 pretty forgetable year previous to this "good" one as a pass rusher. On the other hand he is a good run stopping LDE and I also like his ability to slide inside and bring pressure.

Woodley could be the bigger factor as a pass rusher IMO if he can stay healthy. Which is a big IF based on his last seasons.
He will play from stand up like Houston did almost exclusively which is good since he is familiar with that. The question will be his ability to beat LT's since he played against RT's in his prime and lost a few steps since then. On the other side he is also a power guy not a tipical speed rusher, so if healthy he can be a factor.

Crawford could be the biggest winner with the Tuck signing, since he is a similar LDE/UT power guy IMO. We will see how he performs...

I'm suprised you didn't mentioned Mack here. Mack will slide down to LDE a lot when Tuck is inside. He could be a terror for the RT's with his speed, ability to go low and his power. He will be a big factor IMO.

Yeah i'm gonna cover Mack as a linebacker because I think that'll be his main role. I'm not sure if mack will rush from the weak side or strong side, though I'm guessing he's gonna play sam and then play RE imo. I agree mack will be a a terror. Don't worry though i'll cover him, sio, roach, burris, burnett and the others in another post though. Mack would be considered a pure DE or lineman so i decided to categorize him as an lb Embarassed
Rolni

PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2014 3:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MrOaktown_56 wrote:
Rolni wrote:

Yeah i'm gonna cover Mack as a linebacker because I think that'll be his main role. I'm not sure if mack will rush from the weak side or strong side, though I'm guessing he's gonna play sam and then play RE imo. I agree mack will be a a terror. Don't worry though i'll cover him, sio, roach, burris, burnett and the others in another post though. Mack would be considered a pure DE or lineman so i decided to categorize him as an lb Embarassed

Ok I was sure you gonna cover Mack at LB I just thought he worth a mention here as well. Hope you don't mind. In his latest interview Mack told reporters he will be playing on the strong/TE side mostly. In some blitz packages he will come from the other side obviously here and there, but SLB/SAM and LDE will be his primary role. Which is fine IMO. Von Miller doing the same and Miller is a bit more of a speed guy...
MrOaktown_56

PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2014 6:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rolni wrote:
MrOaktown_56 wrote:
Rolni wrote:

Ok I was sure you gonna cover Mack at LB I just thought he worth a mention here as well. Hope you don't mind. In his latest interview Mack told reporters he will be playing on the strong/TE side mostly. In some blitz packages he will come from the other side obviously here and there, but SLB/SAM and LDE will be his primary role. Which is fine IMO. Von Miller doing the same and Miller is a bit more of a speed guy...

Yeah i hope they move him around. Personally I think he would be better on the weak side as a rookie rushing against right tackles. He could be a mismatch with his quickness and strength.
Rolni

PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2014 12:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MrOaktown_56 wrote:
Rolni wrote:
MrOaktown_56 wrote:
Rolni wrote:

Yeah i hope they move him around. Personally I think he would be better on the weak side as a rookie rushing against right tackles. He could be a mismatch with his quickness and strength.

The weak side is the LT's side.

The RT's are on the strong side. The TE's are usually there, so therefore the TE\strong side label...
Baggabonez

PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2014 3:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Your pics are too big. It really takes away from reading your analysis. I got tired of scrolling back and forth to read and gave up. Great effort though.

Bonez wrote:
Teams that win Superbowls and make the playoffs aren't picking in the Top 5, clearly
Dessie

PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2014 5:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Like Bagga says the pics are way too big. Where's CJ Wilson?
#clueless
MrOaktown_56

PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2014 6:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dessie wrote:
Like Bagga says the pics are way too big. Where's CJ Wilson?

Gotcha. The tuck one was LARGE and i'll look for some smaller ones. CJ wilson is a relative unknown like the others, though i've heard rumors that he won't make the team. He had a few sacks as a 3-4 DE so i'd expect him to play UT along with McGee assuming he makes the team. He could also keep tuck fresh by playing LDE on passing downs.
oakdb36

PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2014 8:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd assume Shelby Harris is in the mix to earn a roster spot at DE. Crawford and Robinson are fringe players.
EricAllen21

PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2014 10:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think starters are CJ Wilson and Justin Tuck. Wilson because 1st Downs are typically runs and we need to hold the edge. Woodley has been a 3-4 pass rusher. I see woodley getting a lot of reps tho, especially on obvious passing downs. Last spot will be a battle between Robinson, Harris, Crawford, that udfa from Mississippi who might surprised. If no one steps up we could bring back Brian Robinson lol or someone from the waiver wire. Our thinnest unit in my opinion.
MrOaktown_56

PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2014 3:50 am    Post subject: Wide Receiver Reply with quote

Current Players:
Rod Streater
James Jones
Denarius Moore
Andre Holmes
Juron Criner
Greg Little
Brice Butler
Mike Davis

The Starters:

Rod Streater:

Profile:
Rod Streater is awesome. At 26, 6-3, 210 with a 4.37 40, Streater has all of the physical tools to be a great receiver. Last year, despite a horrible qb carousel, he put up a solid stat line of about 900 yards and 5 touchdowns. Streater will be making the "3rd year jump", which is traditionally considered to be a receiver's breakout year.Dez Bryant posted similar stats to Streater (albeit with more touchdowns) his first 2 years, and with some much needed (hopefully) stability at the qb position I wouldn't be surprised to see Streater break 1000 yards and add a few more touchdowns.
Scheme Fit:
Like last year, I expect streater to be lined up outside. The run heavy scheme should mean stacked boxes and some nice 1v1 on the outside.
Intangibles:
Streater has added about 5 pounds in muscle over the last few months. James Jones should take away some targets in theory, but the lack of a true #1 likely means that Streater will be matched up with a lot of #2 corners. Okay maybe 1000 yards is a lot to expect in a run heavy offense but Streater will likely continue to put up good numbers and help move the chais.
Prediction:
70 Receptions, 950 Yards, 5 Touchdowns

James Jones:

Profile:
Jones was always considered a #2 in Green Bay, but that's not a bad thing. He proved to be a valuable possesion receiver with some decent YAC potential and good route running. While I don't expect him to lead the NFL in touchdowns like he did 2 years ago, he brings some experience and savvy to a very young wr corps and I fully expect him to outperform the 3 year 10 million dollar deal to which he was signed.
Scheme Fit:
Jones is a good blocker and will likely be an asset on running downs. I see jones doing most of his work on the outside and will likely be a threat on underneath routes.
Intangibles:
The division corners that will likely match up against Jones will be Aqib Talib,Brandon Flowers, and Sean Smith. While all of those names are solid corners, I still expect Jones to put up solid numbers in the raider offense.
Prediction:
50 Catches, 750 yards, 7 touchdowns.

Denarius Moore:

Profile:
Moore is the classic what if candidate. Looks like a pro bowler at times, but tends to disappear. However, his inconsistency is not as bad as some make it out to be. He was projected to have about 850 yards and 6 touchdowns last year barring injury, which would have been a 100 yard improvement from the previous year.
Scheme Fit:He can line up on the outside, or in the slot, and his best work comes on slants and go routes (which I haven't seen a lot of in the raider offense over the last few years).
Intangibles:
With Streater and Jones occupying most of the attention, I think Moore can truly break out if he wants it. There are a lot of trade rumors surrounding him but DA sounds confident that moore can progress and I read some reports saying that Moore looked like the best player at OTAs at times (i know flashes). IF the coaching staff uses him as a deep threat and takes advantage of his abilities in space, moore could be in for a big year.
Prediction:
55 catches, 750 yards, 6 touchdowns.

Andre Holmes:

Profile:
Holmes was a badass down the stretch last year, using his 6-4 frame and 4.5 speed to beat defenses. He was Matt McGloin's favorite target but I have no idea if that will apply to Schaub and/or Carr. Holmes could be a monster next year but he's struggled with drop problems at OTAs (which I didn't see last year). I really don't know what to make of him.
Scheme Fit:
Holmes will likely be a red zone target because of his ability to outjump/outposition corners. I think he'll primarily play on the outside and will start in 4 WR sets (which I hope we use because how many teams have a good dime corner?)
Intangibles:
Holmes seems like a chill hardworking guy and I could be totally wrong with my prediction but I think he'll be a bit buried on the depth chart :/.
Prediction:
30 Catches, 500 yards, 5 TDs.

Reserves:
Juron Criner:Intriguing Talent But SHOW ME something.
Greg Little: Could be used as a blocker on early downs. Same as criner though. May not make the roster.
Brice Butler: I doubt he makes the roster, unless he beats out criner. Hands were horrendous at times last year.
Mike Davis: JAG. I'd say a decent practice squad player.

Guys to Watch:
I would say that the receivers that we'll be looking at next year will fall under 2 categories:
Category 1:Slot receivers w/speed/after the catch ability. (early 2nd-3rd round guys)

Category 2:#1 Type Guys w/size/speed/vertical ability on the outside. (1st round guys)

Category 1:

Stefon Diggs-Maryland: May go in the first round but great burst and ability to make guys miss. Hugely misused by the Maryland offense.

Jamison Crowder-Duke: Duke's speedster. Could fly up draft boards with a big combine.

Sammie Coates-Auburn: Sort of a category 1.5. Apparently has a 44 inch vert and 4.35 speed. NO idea where he'll go but I could see him as a good deep threat in our offense and should be available in the early 2nd.

Antwan Goodley-Baylor: RB turned WR. Awesome last year for baylor and he's got some speeed. Unique prospect at 5-10 225. I think he could replicate the success of Kendall Wright and Terrance Williams. Definitely worth watching.

Category 2:

Dorial Green Beckham-N/a: Calvin-Esque physical talent. Crazy red flags though. I doubt we take him but he's fun to watch.

Jaelen Strong-Arizona State:Shut down by our boy Keith McGill but at 6-4 and with likely 4.5 or faster speed, a good perimeter receiver with an impressive first step. I liken him to what Mike Evans should have been.

Amari Cooper-Alabama: Most polished receiver. Extremely fast. Great body control. Can take over games. No real pro comparison IMO. He's a guy we may look at in the top 10 if receiver (not tackle) ends up being our biggest need.

Devante Parker-Louisville: Some have compared him to AJ Green, but I question his speed. Good vertical ability though and i'd like to see him produce without Teddy B.
OakleyCap

PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2014 3:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I really hope that Rod Streater and James Jones can produce for us this year. Especially Streater. If he can take that next step for us our offense will be so much better this season.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2014 5:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As of now it seems like Holmes is our 3rd WR. He bypassed DMoore.
I can see JJ in the slot in the 3 WR sets with Rod and Holmes outside. Jones run good routes and have reliable hands so could perform in the slot while Holmes and Rod would be nice tall targets to Schaub. He could throw nice jump ball to them on the sidelines...
Moore as the 4th WR flying from the inside with #4 DB on him should offer nice big play ability...

I can't wait to see 6'3 Rod on 5'9 Flowers and 6'4 Holmes on 5'9 Verrett on the outsides after we brought That S down with the running game Wink

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Oakland Raiders All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: