Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Rank Em Defense poll #2
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Green Bay Packers
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Who is the second most important player on D?
Mike Daniels
13%
 13%  [ 6 ]
Sam Shields
45%
 45%  [ 20 ]
Julius Peppers
18%
 18%  [ 8 ]
BJ Raji
9%
 9%  [ 4 ]
AJ Hawk
6%
 6%  [ 3 ]
Other
6%
 6%  [ 3 ]
Total Votes : 44

Kampman74

PostPosted: Sun Jun 22, 2014 3:21 pm    Post subject: Rank Em Defense poll #2 Reply with quote

Alright we are at the slow part of the off-season so I figured lets get some talkers going.

Rank the Packers defense in order of importance, meaning that if player 12 goes down we are NOT using it as excuse at the end of the year as to why we lost, but player one we can use as a reason why we lost. Rank them in order of who is playing well and in turn is going make our defense good.

There should be no debate as to who is the most important to us on defense.

1) Clay Matthews III

But who is number two. Vote on the poll and if someone is not there that you should feel should be there, post them and say why. LETS GO!!!

Last edited by Kampman74 on Sun Jun 22, 2014 6:44 pm; edited 1 time in total
GBPACKMAN4LIFE

PostPosted: Sun Jun 22, 2014 3:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think Tramon is the most important player on the defense, ahead of CMIII. Tramon was the second-best player during our title run in '10, and the gap wasn't very big between him and AR.

Ernest Hemingway wrote:
My aim is to put down on paper what I see and what I feel in the best and simplest way.
packerjmf

PostPosted: Sun Jun 22, 2014 3:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Burnett might be up there this year. He's definitely not the second best player on our defense, but if he goes down we'd be stuck with Haha and Richardson or Banjo back there. Even if we went with Hyde, that would still leave two players with 0 seasons of experience playing safety at the NFL level.
DavidatMIZZOU

PostPosted: Sun Jun 22, 2014 3:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is this the best or most important? I think Raji is the most important. We need better play from him and the NT position. The defense has been poor since the Super Bowl. Not coincidentally, Raji's play has been equally poor during that stretch. I think it starts right there. If he does well, the rest of the defense will do well.

mistakebytehlak wrote:

My god it must be so terrible to have three teams that consistently make the playoffs
Frank-O

PostPosted: Sun Jun 22, 2014 4:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I went with Raji. We need that physical anchor on our dline. He is the only vet we really have and he needs to step up big time. If he can play up to his potential we're set. And I think having a dominant NT in the 3-4 can go along way. My second choice was Shields.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 22, 2014 4:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DavidatMIZZOU wrote:
Is this the best or most important? I think Raji is the most important. We need better play from him and the NT position. The defense has been poor since the Super Bowl. Not coincidentally, Raji's play has been equally poor during that stretch. I think it starts right there. If he does well, the rest of the defense will do well.

Basically both. If X player goes down then our D is going to suffer. In what order does the suffering become greatest to little.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 22, 2014 6:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My vote went to Daniels. He is going to be a beast this year.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 22, 2014 6:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GBPACKMAN4LIFE wrote:
I think Tramon is the most important player on the defense, ahead of CMIII. Tramon was the second-best player during our title run in '10, and the gap wasn't very big between him and AR.

I can't edit the poll but Tramon will be on the next one.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 22, 2014 8:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GBPACKMAN4LIFE wrote:

I'd debate this. Tramon had a great year but the way Matthews started that season really set the tone for the rest of the defense.

I agree with Shields being the top corner, because of his recent payday. It's time for him to step up and be our #1 corner. Considering the importance of positions - pass rush then pass defense trumps all. Tramon's important, but I believe that if he has a good year it'll be a bonus rather than integral to our success.
DavidatMIZZOU

PostPosted: Sun Jun 22, 2014 8:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kampman74 wrote:
DavidatMIZZOU wrote:

Basically both. If X player goes down then our D is going to suffer. In what order does the suffering become greatest to little.

Hmmm... I'm not sure if Raji being injured the past couple of seasons would have made a bit of difference. He really wasn't playing well. I was thinking he needs to play well or the defense will be poor. I think as Raji goes so goes the defense. Whether Clay, Tramon, Daniels or whomever is better doesn't matter.

mistakebytehlak wrote:

My god it must be so terrible to have three teams that consistently make the playoffs
Kampman74

PostPosted: Sun Jun 22, 2014 8:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DavidatMIZZOU wrote:
Kampman74 wrote:
DavidatMIZZOU wrote:

Hmmm... I'm not sure if Raji being injured the past couple of seasons would have made a bit of difference. He really wasn't playing well. I was thinking he needs to play well or the defense will be poor. I think as Raji goes so goes the defense. Whether Clay, Tramon, Daniels or whomever is better doesn't matter.

And I was going to bring this up to AG20 that with us basically playing a 43 does the NT lose some of its value that it would have in a regular 34 or it Raji asked to do the same thing in our scheme?
AlexGreen#20

PostPosted: Sun Jun 22, 2014 8:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kampman74 wrote:
DavidatMIZZOU wrote:
Kampman74 wrote:
DavidatMIZZOU wrote:

And I was going to bring this up to AG20 that with us basically playing a 43 does the NT lose some of its value that it would have in a regular 34 or it Raji asked to do the same thing in our scheme?

I'll confess that it was recently pointed out to me that we play a lot more combo gap fronts in our nickel (one guy 2 gapping, one guy 1 gapping) than I was thinking we do. Whether or not we're playing the 4-3/3-4 Under defense or the base 3-4 normal or the nickel, we need a big guy. That's Raji.

Raji's value isn't really scheme dependent. We need him to ball out.
deathstar

PostPosted: Sun Jun 22, 2014 8:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think that the difference between 2010 and the next few years isn't Raji's play, although that has declined as well. The difference is our inability to stop the pass. Woodson and Williams were solid, but it was really the play of Shields stepping up that solidified our pass defense and prevented repeat viewings of the Cardinals playoff game.
AlexGreen#20

PostPosted: Sun Jun 22, 2014 9:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

deathstar wrote:
I think that the difference between 2010 and the next few years isn't Raji's play, although that has declined as well. The difference is our inability to stop the pass. Woodson and Williams were solid, but it was really the play of Shields stepping up that solidified our pass defense and prevented repeat viewings of the Cardinals playoff game.

The defensive line (Raji) failing to get pressure has been a huge part of failing to stop the pass. In 2010 our defensive line was dominant, Clay was a monster, and our blitzes were hitting at an absurdly high rate. Since then, the defensive line play has declined significantly, Clay has been an injured monster and our blitz success rate has returned to something more in line with league averages.
Skypilot

PostPosted: Sun Jun 22, 2014 10:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll go with Mike Daniels, who is now a leader on the Packers' defense. He will be a tone-setter for this defense in its effort to get more aggressive and proactive; then, Peppers and the CB's. The Packers do need more from Raji and Hawk (among others) but those two aren't close to the 2nd most important player. Hawk isn't, anyway. 'Cleaners' aren't hard to replace.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Green Bay Packers All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: