Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Johnathan Franklin to retire from NFL
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Green Bay Packers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
marky mark

PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2014 1:57 pm    Post subject: Johnathan Franklin to retire from NFL Reply with quote

Franklin's neck injury may be career-threatening, per Rob Demovsky.

Quote:
Perhaps the biggest concern is about Franklin, the fourth-round pick from UCLA who finished his rookie season last year on injured reserve following a neck injury. The Packers are worried that Franklin's neck injury might be career-threatening. According to two people with knowledge of his situation, the Packers are putting Franklin through more tests to determine whether it's safe for him to continue playing.

http://espn.go.com/blog/green-bay-packers/post/_/id/10539/nick-perry-other-green-bay-packers-missing-valuable-time

Update:

Quote:
Johnathan Franklin, a fourth-round pick in the 2013 draft, has been forced to retire due to a neck injury.

On Thursday, coach Mike McCarthy said that Franklin "will not be back with us," and then the running back soon after said on Twitter that his NFL career is over. He finished his rookie season on injured reserve with a neck injury.

http://www.jsonline.com/blogs/sports/263869591.html?utm_medium=twitter&utm_source=twitterfeed

Franklin struggled to get playing time because of Lacy and Starks. He was able to play week 3 against the Bengals when Lacy and Starks got injured. Franklin finished the game with 103 yards on 13 carries and a touchdown.

Last edited by marky mark on Thu Jun 19, 2014 3:17 pm; edited 1 time in total
GoPackGo

PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2014 2:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

#PackIRs, it begins.

R-E-L-A-X
Packerraymond

PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2014 2:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We've known this for awhile now. No sweat off our back as Dujuan Harris looked as fast and elusive as ever from the two practices I saw. Still sucks for Franklin and the FO. Wish the NFL compensatory had some sort of injury compensation as well. Not for a Collins or Finley situation, but if a guy you draft has a career ending injury within 3 years or so, you could gain a pick as compensation.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2014 2:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Johnathan Franklin Reply with quote

marky mark wrote:

Quote:
Perhaps the biggest concern is about Franklin, the fourth-round pick from UCLA who finished his rookie season last year on injured reserve following a neck injury. The Packers are worried that Franklin's neck injury might be career-threatening. According to two people with knowledge of his situation, the Packers are putting Franklin through more tests to determine whether it's safe for him to continue playing.

http://espn.go.com/blog/green-bay-packers/post/_/id/10539/nick-perry-other-green-bay-packers-missing-valuable-time
It's ridicules why these injuries can't get worked out before camp starts. This is where the packers need to question their medical staff! Speaks Volumes in commitment. Get the pads on or Slap Him!
Packerraymond

PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2014 2:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Johnathan Franklin Reply with quote

stockholder wrote:
marky mark wrote:

Quote:

It's ridicules why these injuries can't get worked out before camp starts. This is where the packers need to question their medical staff! Speaks Volumes in commitment. Get the pads on or Slap Him!

Do you read what you post before you hit submit? I can't honestly fathom how you think this makes sense and I can't fathom how you think a neck injury has anything to do with the Packers medical staff. The reason Franklin isn't practicing is because the Packers want to make sure they don't increase the risk of him never walking again and eating out of a tube potentially. How ridicules!

PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2014 2:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You've got to feel for the kid.

It seems like we have a lot of players who get significant neck injuries.
NormSizedMidget

PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2014 3:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MMcKay16 wrote:
You've got to feel for the kid.

It seems like we have a lot of players who get significant neck injuries.

Someone will find a way to blame something beyond bad luck for this.

Texasmade wrote:
Shoot me an email.

jcanseco33@gmail.com
stockholder

PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2014 3:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Johnathan Franklin Reply with quote

Packerraymond wrote:
stockholder wrote:
marky mark wrote:

Quote:

Do you read what you post before you hit submit? I can't honestly fathom how you think this makes sense and I can't fathom how you think a neck injury has anything to do with the Packers medical staff. The reason Franklin isn't practicing is because the Packers want to make sure they don't increase the risk of him never walking again and eating out of a tube potentially. How ridicules!
How is it that a guy who has trouble all last season. Ends up starting the season the same way. Why? That is the Question here. If I go to a doctor they want me back in a few weeks. Don't be naive here. The packers medical staff only sees job security. How Stupid!
justo

PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2014 3:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This sucks. By no means should we be complaining about a Lacy-Starks-Harris 1-2-3 combo, but I really thought Franklin could have been something special. Hell, I've said this before, but using his amount of carries as the threshold, last season he was top five in YPC with Lacy and Starks.

I really thought Franklin would be best suited for the no-huddle O, or at least better suited than Lacy. Dude can run inside very well for his size.
NormSizedMidget

PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2014 3:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Basically what justo said, you're sad about it but if you take the emotional aspect away, I can't be too upset with how we're sitting at RB. It could have hit worse in terms of TEAM but you gotta feel for the kid.

Hoping this is overblown which IMO it easily could be.

Texasmade wrote:
Shoot me an email.

jcanseco33@gmail.com
Packerraymond

PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2014 3:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Johnathan Franklin Reply with quote

stockholder wrote:
How is it that a guy who has trouble all last season. Ends up starting the season the same way. Why? That is the Question here. If I go to a doctor they want me back in a few weeks. Don't be naive here. The packers medical staff only sees job security. How Stupid!

Im going to try to help you here:

Quote:
How is it that a guy who has trouble all last season.

This is a question, not a sentence. Add to that you never actually asked a question, I'll put the two sentence together to form the complete question.

Quote:
How is it that a guy who had trouble all last season, ends up starting the season the same way?

There is how the post should start. Now for the answer, have you ever hurt your spine/neck?? I have and I couldn't play college football because of it. It takes time to heal those injuries, and they may never get to a point where it's strong enough to play again. This isn't a pulled hammy.

Quote:
If I go to a doctor they want me back in a few weeks. Don't be naive here.

This makes no sense, where do they want you back to? What did you go to the doctor for? A cold, broken leg, allergies, spine injury? Again more gibberish.

Quote:
The packers medical staff only sees job security. How Stupid!

How about you write them a letter and tell them to put player safety, their income, family, house and job security aside and just roll with your advice regarding all Packers injuries from here on out. I think you're struggling to grasp not only how football works, but how life works.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2014 3:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This brings up the question in my mind of; Raijon Neal or LaDarius Perkins? Obviously we've got our 3 but if one of them goes down who do you want?

PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2014 3:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Frank-O wrote:
This brings up the question in my mind of; Raijon Neal or LaDarius Perkins? Obviously we've got our 3 but if one of them goes down who do you want?

I looooooove Perkins but he feels like Harris to me. I can definitely see the side that wants Neal too. Good situation to be in. Gonna be fun to watch play.

Texasmade wrote:
Shoot me an email.

jcanseco33@gmail.com
rbens06

PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2014 4:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think this has always been in the back of my mind that it could happen. Its shame, but fortunately this is at a time where we are relatively good at runningback. Lacy is obviously the workhorse and Starks proved to be a good complement/second back to Lacy. Also, if Harris can play at the same level he is more than competent to be the third guy. I hope that Franklin is not done permanently and just needs a little more rest, but safety and caution are always best, especially with a neck/spine injury.

Just a side question does anyone know what/the extent of the neck injury? All I have heard is that it is a neck injury and no more details.
NormSizedMidget

PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2014 4:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rbens06 wrote:
I think this has always been in the back of my mind that it could happen. Its shame, but fortunately this is at a time where we are relatively good at runningback. Lacy is obviously the workhorse and Starks proved to be a good complement/second back to Lacy. Also, if Harris can play at the same level he is more than competent to be the third guy. I hope that Franklin is not done permanently and just needs a little more rest, but safety and caution are always best, especially with a neck/spine injury.

Just a side question does anyone know what/the extent of the neck injury? All I have heard is that it is a neck injury and no more details.

I literally don't think anything else is public.

It was a "concussion" they put him on IR for, unless I missed it or someone has inside info, I've seen nothing else.

Texasmade wrote:
Shoot me an email.

jcanseco33@gmail.com

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Green Bay Packers All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 1 of 8

Jump to: