Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Aaron Rodgers the back up
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Green Bay Packers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
deathstar

PostPosted: Sun Jun 15, 2014 2:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Charisma - I'm going to step away from this conversation because I feel that I've become too emotional about it. I'd also rather not derail this thread anymore than has happened. My last words regarding this are that your criticisms of that particular article are not very convincing. I understand that you'd like to see sources. I also understand that you feel that Fleischer merely advised the Packers to not say a word. I guess unless you can source an article that backs up your point of view in regards to Fleischer's role you're as unreliable as you claim Christl to be. I don't believe that the Packers engaged in a PR war, but I do believe that they were as shady as Favre himself was during this situation and should not be absolved from responsibility.
ChaRisMa

PostPosted: Sun Jun 15, 2014 3:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

deathstar wrote:
Charisma - I'm going to step away from this conversation because I feel that I've become too emotional about it. I'd also rather not derail this thread anymore than has happened. My last words regarding this are that your criticisms of that particular article are not very convincing. I understand that you'd like to see sources. I also understand that you feel that Fleischer merely advised the Packers to not say a word. I guess unless you can source an article that backs up your point of view in regards to Fleischer's role you're as unreliable as you claim Christl to be. I don't believe that the Packers engaged in a PR war, but I do believe that they were as shady as Favre himself was during this situation and should not be absolved from responsibility.

I can respect that. My problem is I don't have any of the answers. No one does, really. There are so many unanswered questions throughout the entire thing. We don't have a clue what is legitimate and what is hear-say. And we'll probably never know. Which is why I get angry when someone writes a piece as if they DO know, because they don't. Not Favre, Not TT, not Bus Cook.

I don't think the Packers tried to retire Favre and I don't think Favre tried to escape Green Bay. I do think the media sensationalized the situation to make money and that lead to both sides and fans being hurt.

I really respect you deathstar, and if you want to discuss it in the future I'm not opposed to changing my view of "we don't know so it just is what it is and hopefully we can celebrate Favre soon".
deathstar

PostPosted: Sun Jun 15, 2014 4:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds good. Cool

As far as Brock is concerned. I don't think you can compare Rodgers to him. Rodgers had a lot of things going his way - a head coach who runs a QB school every offseason, a QB coach in Tom Clements who was a former head coach, and sitting behind Favre. Osweiler isn't surrounded, in my opinion, by that amount of education/support. He's got his QB coach and Peyton. Judging from the Manning's backups, I don't know how much he really influences them. The guy is battling some physical hangups below the waist (flat/slow feet) that if he can't rectify it'll always be an uphill battle for him. Look at bad Eli, for example.
ChaRisMa

PostPosted: Sun Jun 15, 2014 4:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The mobility thing popped in to my head too. Rodgers' legs frequently made plays for him. Don't think Osweiler has that.
stockholder

PostPosted: Sun Jun 15, 2014 10:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ChaRisMa wrote:
deathstar wrote:

I can respect that. My problem is I don't have any of the answers. No one does, really. There are so many unanswered questions throughout the entire thing. We don't have a clue what is legitimate and what is hear-say. And we'll probably never know. Which is why I get angry when someone writes a piece as if they DO know, because they don't. Not Favre, Not TT, not Bus Cook.

I don't think the Packers tried to retire Favre and I don't think Favre tried to escape Green Bay. I do think the media sensationalized the situation to make money and that lead to both sides and fans being hurt.

I really respect you deathstar, and if you want to discuss it in the future I'm not opposed to changing my view of "we don't know so it just is what it is and hopefully we can celebrate Favre soon".
no, There was a 20 million offer for farve to retire from the packers. Why offer the money and the contract. You guys are way-off. The jets showed class and released him. Murphy offered money not to play> PR Mess! Rodgers did a great thing by keeping his mouth closed and taking advantage of his chance. But if I'm a player, and I want the respect of my teammates, Zip IT! Good for Rodgers bad for TT. Rumors are just that ,rumors. Money was offered! Rodgers grabbed the football and said,"Lets Play". Rodgers the Leader came out!
Skypilot

PostPosted: Sun Jun 15, 2014 10:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

stockholder wrote:
ChaRisMa wrote:
deathstar wrote:

no, There was a 20 million offer for farve to retire from the packers. Why offer the money and the contract. You guys are way-off. The jets showed class and released him. Murphy offered money not to play> PR Mess! Rodgers did a great thing by keeping his mouth closed and taking advantage of his chance. But if I'm a player, and I want the respect of my teammates, Zip IT! Good for Rodgers bad for TT. Rumors are just that ,rumors. Money was offered! Rodgers grabbed the football and said,"Lets Play". Rodgers the Leader came out!

First to all the father's out there---Happy Father's Day!!

The Favre scenario is really off the point of thread. We all know what went down. The truth about Favre's subterfuge eventually came out as he fake-retired and un-retired several more times. He found a team that would allow him to skip all the off season and training camp drudgery. The Packers won the SB with Rodgers, who is only the highest (or second? highest) rated QB of all-time. Win/win.

The Broncos young back-up is in an enviable position as long as Manning retires sooner rather than later.
strat1080

PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2014 9:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

GBPACKMAN4LIFE wrote:
persiandud wrote:
when were we convinced he was an elite QB?

Arizona playoff game is when I knew he was truly elite, i.e., there is no tier of QB above him.

Yeah that was a brilliant performance by Rodgers. 300 yards and 4 pass TDs in the 2nd half in a playoff game on the road to tie the game at 45-45 and send it to OT. Arizona players were saying after the game that Rodgers was the scariest QB in the league to play against. He can beat you so many ways. If nobody knew that Rodgers was elite after that game then I don't know what they were watching. All in all his entire 2009 regular and postseason convinced me he was elite. 30 TDs and 7 INTs and nearly breaking the franchise record in passing yards in his 2nd season as a starter sealed it for me. He just continued to get better though.
strat1080

PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2014 10:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

stockholder wrote:
HawaiiFan808 wrote:
Uncle Buck wrote:
ChaRisMa wrote:
Support was everything for Rodgers. He had a QB Guru Head Coach. A GM that handled the Favre situation like a TOTAL BADASS.

He had his GM and his HC completely committed and tied to him and all the physical skills. If he's got that, I'd like his chances.

If Elway and Fox screw him over, neglect him, and don't show support, forget it. No QB can be the franchise that way. Elway may hedge the bet with a high draft pick, we took Brian "Bomb" Brohm in the 2nd the year Rodgers took over. Brohm sucked and Rodgers was signed to an extension mid season (which was a STEAL).

Rodgers had NO support from Favre early on. Had NO reps other than the Scout team. Had little fan support as well. I wouldn't thoroughly believe Manning runs "his" offense and that hurts Brock. Favre was pretty unique in how he ran the offense too. Brock has to be Brock.

Do not judge Brock on the Preseason. Trust what Fox says.

What does the Fox say?

That certainly isn't the term that comes to my mind when I consider the way Ted bungled the Favre situation. Laughing

What should have TT done then, in your opinion.
This was talked about not letting farve Compete. It would have never been a PR mess either. I never saw such character assassination of a NFL player legend. He should have had his release! Period. If you tell a guy he can't play. Release Him. Any reason is not justified! Draft pick or not. Management tried to point out that it was all about Farve. This was all about TT. Winning was second to their desires. I'm glad Rodgers worked out. For Rodgers and the Packer Fans. But lets get one thing in here about this legend. He said it Best---"We have had communication," Favre said. "Not that it's really anybody else's business with all due respect. I have a tremendous amount of respect for Green Bay, and it's not about me. It's not necessarily about them. It's about the fans and respect. When the time is right. They're going to have things to do. They have a season to play. They have to get ready, and I don't want to be a distraction for them." To error is Human, to forgive is divine. The Packer organization needs to make this right. Even if it takes giving Farve Money.

You're just making things up bud. The Packers never came public with any negative words about Favre. All they said from the get-go was that Favre retired and that they are moving on with Rodgers. You don't just release a Pro Bowl caliber player. Do not make things up dude. The Packers never said that Favre couldn't play. All they said was that it was too late in the process to reverse the direction they were headed with Rodgers. They made an organizational decision and stood firm with it. They made the right decision. The thing is you can't just let an asset with the value of a Pro Bowl QB just walk away with no compensation. The Packers got a 3rd round pick and they used that pick to trade up for Clay Matthews. The Packers did the same exact thing the 49ers did with Montana. However, I would make the argument that Joe Montana was much more of an untouchable figure than Favre was. 4 time Super Bowl champion and he wasn't waivering on retirement year after year. The 49ers just simply wanted to move on. Brett Favre started the entire process by retiring in the first place. It was year after year of waivering on whether or not he wanted to play. The organization had their guy in Rodgers and simply wanted to move on. I don't get what's so evil about that. The Packers just like the 49ers did, allowed Favre to put together a list of possible trade destinations but he handled it like a 6 year old kid. I don't get the disdain that some have with the Packers organization. Why aren't the 49ers treated that way. Joe Montana was a 3 time Super Bowl MVP. The guy that brought 4 Super Bowl titles to a team with no championship pedigree. The Packers are the premier franchise in the NFL with 13 NFL championships. They are not going to take a back seat to any player. Out of 13 NFL titles, Brett Favre brought one of them to Green Bay. One of them, not all of them. Its called title town for a reason.

To this day I'll never understand the morons that continue to place the blame on the organization. They never said Favre couldn't play. All they said was that they were moving on with Aaron Rodgers. They knew that if they showed any waivering in their decision to go with Rodgers that they would create a nightmare scenarion for Aaron Rodgers. They had to stand behind their QB of the future. Especially given the circumstances. It was Favre and his agent that were coming out in public and slamming the organization. I remember the Favre interview on Fox News with Greta Van Susteren where he did nothing but complain about not getting his way with personnel decisions. Thompson ended up being right on just about all of them.
strat1080

PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2014 10:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

deathstar wrote:
Sounds good. Cool

As far as Brock is concerned. I don't think you can compare Rodgers to him. Rodgers had a lot of things going his way - a head coach who runs a QB school every offseason, a QB coach in Tom Clements who was a former head coach, and sitting behind Favre. Osweiler isn't surrounded, in my opinion, by that amount of education/support. He's got his QB coach and Peyton. Judging from the Manning's backups, I don't know how much he really influences them. The guy is battling some physical hangups below the waist (flat/slow feet) that if he can't rectify it'll always be an uphill battle for him. Look at bad Eli, for example.

Yeah, i haven't really seen any QBs develop under Peyton Manning. Like I said before in this thread, Manning is the kind of guy that wants as many reps as possible. He's an incredibly hard worker, sometimes even to his own detriment. There a lot of reports leading up to the Super Bowl that Peyton Manning was talking to a whole bunch of former and current players leading up to the Super Bowl. I think he overprepares sometimes. Like they say, paralysis by analysis. I don't think Brock is going to get very many opportunities to get practice reps and improve as a player.

Everybody blames the Center for that botched snap in the Super Bowl. I put that on Manning. Its the first play of the Super Bowl. That ball should be snapped with 20 seconds left on the play clock. The first 15 plays of a game should be scripted. You shouldn't have to check out of the first play of a game, especially when its the first play of the Super Bowl and you have a bunch of guys with very little big game experience. Get the snap off and get the game going to calm everybody down. But what does Manning do, he lets the play clock go way down and then tries to change things on the first snap of the Super Bowl.

I repeat that, the first snap of the Super Bowl. Its a totally different atmosphere. There's a massive lead up to the game and a lot of media hype and two weeks off. I just never really felt that Manning's game translated very well to the playoffs.
strat1080

PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2014 10:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

stockholder wrote:
ChaRisMa wrote:
deathstar wrote:

I didn't really view it as an offer to retire. It was just Mark Murphy reaching out to Favre and letting him know that regardless of what happens, the organization would like to continue to have a relationship with Favre after he retires. The Dolphins had the same kind of arrangement with Dan Marino when he was done.

I've never understood why people thought that the Packers paying Favre to retire. Why would they need to do that. They could simply trade him to a number of teams that were interested in him, which is what they ended up doing. The Packers did not need to pay Favre to retire. They had moved on and they stuck by Rodgers' side.
Skypilot

PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2014 11:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I didn't really view it as an offer to retire. It was just Mark Murphy reaching out to Favre and letting him know that regardless of what happens, the organization would like to continue to have a relationship with Favre after he retires. The Dolphins had the same kind of arrangement with Dan Marino when he was done.

I've never understood why people thought that the Packers paying Favre to retire. Why would they need to do that. They could simply trade him to a number of teams that were interested in him, which is what they ended up doing. The Packers did not need to pay Favre to retire. They had moved on and they stuck by Rodgers' side.

It's the timing of the offer. I can see how the Favre side viewed this as an offer/bribe to quit the BS games (Favre maneuvering to get released and join the Vikings) and instead retire. Didn't Marino actually retire, and as a man of his word (unlike Favre) intended to retire? Of course, Favre trotted to the media with every little tidbit of info. which fanned the flames of his fandom's discontent: Some of them shouting obscenities (and carrying signs) disparaging Rodgers; and, encouraging their equally ignorant offspring to do the same during training camp. Quite the circus.

Had Favre not be an icon in Green Bay, with much of the Packers' fan base hopelessly emotionally attached to him, the Packers might/should have been more above board in telling him they were moving on with Rodgers, and traded their veteran diva QB (see the embarrassing, tear-fest phony retirement presser, FOX interview/liefest with greta Van Sustern) to a team outside the division, just like the 49'ers did with Joe Montana. The $20 million was meant to make up for two years of Favre's contract and keep the playoff choker in the Packers' family. This is why all this fading breathless talk each spring of Favre's return and retirement of the number ceremony rings so hollow. Each year, fewer people outside the media care.

Back to the OP---clearly Brock Osweiler is not going to suffer as much foolishness as Aaron Rodgers has endured from his team's fan base as they are Broncos fans first, not manning fans. Many Packers' fans were Favre-first, then the team.
Pugger

PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2014 1:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

strat1080 wrote:
deathstar wrote:
Sounds good. Cool

Yeah, i haven't really seen any QBs develop under Peyton Manning.
Like I said before in this thread, Manning is the kind of guy that wants as many reps as possible. He's an incredibly hard worker, sometimes even to his own detriment. There a lot of reports leading up to the Super Bowl that Peyton Manning was talking to a whole bunch of former and current players leading up to the Super Bowl. I think he overprepares sometimes. Like they say, paralysis by analysis. I don't think Brock is going to get very many opportunities to get practice reps and improve as a player.

Everybody blames the Center for that botched snap in the Super Bowl. I put that on Manning. Its the first play of the Super Bowl. That ball should be snapped with 20 seconds left on the play clock. The first 15 plays of a game should be scripted. You shouldn't have to check out of the first play of a game, especially when its the first play of the Super Bowl and you have a bunch of guys with very little big game experience. Get the snap off and get the game going to calm everybody down. But what does Manning do, he lets the play clock go way down and then tries to change things on the first snap of the Super Bowl.

I repeat that, the first snap of the Super Bowl. Its a totally different atmosphere. There's a massive lead up to the game and a lot of media hype and two weeks off. I just never really felt that Manning's game translated very well to the playoffs.

I don't really buy that Rodgers learned much directly from Favre either. Aaron prob observed how Favre prepared and how he conducted himself at practice and in games but I'm almost certain Rodgers learned more from MM and Clements than he ever did from Favre. It appeared in time they had a good working relationship when Aaron was his backup and they seem to get along fine today.

Last edited by Pugger on Tue Jun 17, 2014 2:03 pm; edited 1 time in total
Pugger

PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2014 2:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Skypilot wrote:
Quote:

It's the timing of the offer. I can see how the Favre side viewed this as an offer/bribe to quit the BS games (Favre maneuvering to get released and join the Vikings) and instead retire. Didn't Marino actually retire, and as a man of his word (unlike Favre) intended to retire? Of course, Favre trotted to the media with every little tidbit of info. which fanned the flames of his fandom's discontent: Some of them shouting obscenities (and carrying signs) disparaging Rodgers; and, encouraging their equally ignorant offspring to do the same during training camp. Quite the circus.

Had Favre not be an icon in Green Bay, with much of the Packers' fan base hopelessly emotionally attached to him, the Packers might/should have been more above board in telling him they were moving on with Rodgers, and traded their veteran diva QB (see the embarrassing, tear-fest phony retirement presser, FOX interview/liefest with greta Van Sustern) to a team outside the division, just like the 49'ers did with Joe Montana. The $20 million was meant to make up for two years of Favre's contract and keep the playoff choker in the Packers' family. This is why all this fading breathless talk each spring of Favre's return and retirement of the number ceremony rings so hollow. Each year, fewer people outside the media care.

Back to the OP---clearly Brock Osweiler is not going to suffer as much foolishness as Aaron Rodgers has endured from his team's fan base as they are Broncos fans first, not manning fans. Many Packers' fans were Favre-first, then the team

I wholeheartedly agree with you here. And a lot of those Favre fans have never returned and frankly are not missed very much.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2014 2:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We have a thread closed because it was derailed due to a guy citing scientific papers yet this is open?

Why?
Nick da Pick

PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2014 3:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

strat1080 wrote:
stockholder wrote:
HawaiiFan808 wrote:
Uncle Buck wrote:
ChaRisMa wrote:
Support was everything for Rodgers. He had a QB Guru Head Coach. A GM that handled the Favre situation like a TOTAL BADASS.

He had his GM and his HC completely committed and tied to him and all the physical skills. If he's got that, I'd like his chances.

If Elway and Fox screw him over, neglect him, and don't show support, forget it. No QB can be the franchise that way. Elway may hedge the bet with a high draft pick, we took Brian "Bomb" Brohm in the 2nd the year Rodgers took over. Brohm sucked and Rodgers was signed to an extension mid season (which was a STEAL).

Rodgers had NO support from Favre early on. Had NO reps other than the Scout team. Had little fan support as well. I wouldn't thoroughly believe Manning runs "his" offense and that hurts Brock. Favre was pretty unique in how he ran the offense too. Brock has to be Brock.

Do not judge Brock on the Preseason. Trust what Fox says.

What does the Fox say?

That certainly isn't the term that comes to my mind when I consider the way Ted bungled the Favre situation. Laughing

What should have TT done then, in your opinion.
This was talked about not letting farve Compete. It would have never been a PR mess either. I never saw such character assassination of a NFL player legend. He should have had his release! Period. If you tell a guy he can't play. Release Him. Any reason is not justified! Draft pick or not. Management tried to point out that it was all about Farve. This was all about TT. Winning was second to their desires. I'm glad Rodgers worked out. For Rodgers and the Packer Fans. But lets get one thing in here about this legend. He said it Best---"We have had communication," Favre said. "Not that it's really anybody else's business with all due respect. I have a tremendous amount of respect for Green Bay, and it's not about me. It's not necessarily about them. It's about the fans and respect. When the time is right. They're going to have things to do. They have a season to play. They have to get ready, and I don't want to be a distraction for them." To error is Human, to forgive is divine. The Packer organization needs to make this right. Even if it takes giving Farve Money.

You're just making things up bud. The Packers never came public with any negative words about Favre. All they said from the get-go was that Favre retired and that they are moving on with Rodgers. You don't just release a Pro Bowl caliber player. Do not make things up dude. The Packers never said that Favre couldn't play. All they said was that it was too late in the process to reverse the direction they were headed with Rodgers. They made an organizational decision and stood firm with it. They made the right decision. The thing is you can't just let an asset with the value of a Pro Bowl QB just walk away with no compensation. The Packers got a 3rd round pick and they used that pick to trade up for Clay Matthews. The Packers did the same exact thing the 49ers did with Montana. However, I would make the argument that Joe Montana was much more of an untouchable figure than Favre was. 4 time Super Bowl champion and he wasn't waivering on retirement year after year. The 49ers just simply wanted to move on. Brett Favre started the entire process by retiring in the first place. It was year after year of waivering on whether or not he wanted to play. The organization had their guy in Rodgers and simply wanted to move on. I don't get what's so evil about that. The Packers just like the 49ers did, allowed Favre to put together a list of possible trade destinations but he handled it like a 6 year old kid. I don't get the disdain that some have with the Packers organization. Why aren't the 49ers treated that way. Joe Montana was a 3 time Super Bowl MVP. The guy that brought 4 Super Bowl titles to a team with no championship pedigree. The Packers are the premier franchise in the NFL with 13 NFL championships. They are not going to take a back seat to any player. Out of 13 NFL titles, Brett Favre brought one of them to Green Bay. One of them, not all of them. Its called title town for a reason.

To this day I'll never understand the morons that continue to place the blame on the organization. They never said Favre couldn't play. All they said was that they were moving on with Aaron Rodgers. They knew that if they showed any waivering in their decision to go with Rodgers that they would create a nightmare scenarion for Aaron Rodgers. They had to stand behind their QB of the future. Especially given the circumstances. It was Favre and his agent that were coming out in public and slamming the organization. I remember the Favre interview on Fox News with Greta Van Susteren where he did nothing but complain about not getting his way with personnel decisions. Thompson ended up being right on just about all of them.

This is fantastic, and sums up this whole ordeal essentially. Imagine how many GMs would've folded under the pressure, and give Favre his starting gig again.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Green Bay Packers All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 5 of 6

Jump to: