You are currently viewing the old forums. We have upgraded to a new NFL Forum.
This old forum is being left as a read-only archive.
Please update your bookmarks to our new forum at forums.footballsfuture.com.

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Aaron Rodgers the back up
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Green Bay Packers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
PackFan4Life

PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2014 11:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The best thing that happened to Arod after he came to Green Bay was the firing of Mike Sherman. Sherman hated the Rodgers pick and never bothered to even call him by name, always referring to him as "the young QB." Sherman was fired and MM came in and took an interest in developing Arod and started to fix the footwork and delivery. You could actually start to see a QB in year 2 under MM's tutelage. Arod looked solid in his 3rd year even though he went down with injury again. The improvement and knowledge of MM's offense combined with Favre's declining mobility convinced MM and TT is was time to move on when #4 gave them the opportunity to do so after his first retirement.

As far as Oz goes- look at his footwork when he is looking at his 3rd and 4th progression. Is he still in the correct throwing position or does he get happy feet and throw a duck after his second read? A good QB with always be in a good position to throw on those 3rd and 4th reads so he can deliver a strong, accurate throw. I am not talking about practice either- must look at those situations when the real bullets are flying. Does he have pocket presence? Does he command the huddle?
ChaRisMa

PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2014 12:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Support was everything for Rodgers. He had a QB Guru Head Coach. A GM that handled the Favre situation like a TOTAL BADASS.

He had his GM and his HC completely committed and tied to him and all the physical skills. If he's got that, I'd like his chances.

If Elway and Fox screw him over, neglect him, and don't show support, forget it. No QB can be the franchise that way. Elway may hedge the bet with a high draft pick, we took Brian "Bomb" Brohm in the 2nd the year Rodgers took over. Brohm sucked and Rodgers was signed to an extension mid season (which was a STEAL).

Rodgers had NO support from Favre early on. Had NO reps other than the Scout team. Had little fan support as well. I wouldn't thoroughly believe Manning runs "his" offense and that hurts Brock. Favre was pretty unique in how he ran the offense too. Brock has to be Brock.

Do not judge Brock on the Preseason. Trust what Fox says.

What does the Fox say?
strat1080

PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2014 12:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The thing that I can see hurting Brock is Peyton's work ethic and his propensity to take so many snaps. Sometimes I think Peyton works too hard for his own good. He should be toning down his snap count at his age to prolong his arm strength.

I know the Packers have already began watching Rodgers' snap count and have capped the amount of throwing he does to prolong his arm strength. I think sometimes coaching staffs have pretty much let Manning do whatever he wanted and I don't think it has always led to the best results. Not in a selfish Brett Favre kind of way but I think Manning has a tendency to overthink things and work too hard for his own good.

Another thing I'll point out is that Brock is in a somewhat similar situation in that he's behind a durable QB that hasn't missed much time during his career. Aaron Rodgers took advantage of his years as a backup by really honing his craft and perfecting his fundamentals. Of course he had the aid of Mike McCarthy to help him master his fundamentals. I'm not sure if the Broncos really have a QB guru of McCarthy's caliber to help Brock master the art of the QB position. Adam Gase is a darn good coach but he doesn't have the track record of Mike McCarthy when it comes to developing young QBs.
stockholder

PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2014 2:08 pm    Post subject: rodgers back up Reply with quote

So where do you put Flynn in this now. He is losing his arm, mobility, and I don't think he's going to help Tolzen. Much like Farve with Rodgers as posted. I don't think its selfish for a player not to Help another. It's their coach who has that responsibility. It's the players job to Keep them on the BENCH. I state that TT figures your only as good as your last season. Meaning that when Rodgers was drafted, the decline was present! People have to re-group from the change and pertect themselves from let downs, depression ,injury. If you watch the talent leave, you don't keep killing yourself. So where does that put Flynn. Does he give up or does he say its a living and my Family needs the money. Team Cap can keep a team from being a Dynasty. I will say TT does his due diligence to the stock holders. But he also uses players up. And then their not a team player. So is Flynn used UP ?
PackFan4Life

PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2014 2:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This conversation has nothing to do with Flynn. He has failed as a starter and is now a labeled, although proven, back up. That is not where Arod or Oz were in any part of their career thus far.

Flynn is a proven back up that must fight to keep his roster spot from a younger, stronger armed prospect nipping at his heels. If he does not stay sharp, youth is served. It is not any more complicated then that.
stockholder

PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2014 4:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PackFan4Life wrote:
This conversation has nothing to do with Flynn. He has failed as a starter and is now a labeled, although proven, back up. That is not where Arod or Oz were in any part of their career thus far.

Flynn is a proven back up that must fight to keep his roster spot from a younger, stronger armed prospect nipping at his heels. If he does not stay sharp, youth is served. It is not any more complicated then that.
It was an example of where Farve stood in his career. Now Flynn is there. Back-up or not! I did not want to lock horns over Farve with rodgers. Farve is the legend whose many records will be tough to break. I'm showing the draft and development. Flynn is in Farve's position regardless. We are talking Back-up. Rodgers was the Back-up- Team Player. Your putting Farve vs. Rodgers ,I was not. There are many intangibles with Farve. His contract etc.. The packers made the play-offs and he was told to hit the bricks. But Mr. Rodgers did not take them to the super bowl till he developed. Farve showed he could still play and was willing. The JEts sucked. So Flynn is in Farve's position. Back up- or Not. Or do you wait for Tolzen to develop. KEEP IN MIND his teamates got OLDER. Some left. Go back and look at the last playoff game with Farve. It's tough to Lose when you wear your heart on your sleeve. By trading farve and being firm. Did the Packers show the team they cared enough to win? Or did they say YOU have to wait for Rodgers to develope. Flynn is Farve, Tolzen is Rodgers Here. You get paid to play football. It was Rodgers chance and he's done well.
jfinley88

Location: fin-land Metaphysical & Eternal EveryoneLoveEveryone
PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2014 4:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Up until that Dallas game where Favre went out early, nobody was overly high on him being a really good starter. He got pretty big injuries like three years in a row too while Favre was starting, iirc
Pugger

PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2014 4:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

stockholder wrote:
PackFan4Life wrote:

It was an example of where Farve stood in his career. Now Flynn is there. Back-up or not! I did not want to lock horns over Farve with rodgers. Farve is the legend whose many records will be tough to break. I'm showing the draft and development. Flynn is in Farve's position regardless. We are talking Back-up. Rodgers was the Back-up- Team Player. Your putting Farve vs. Rodgers ,I was not. There are many intangibles with Farve. His contract etc.. The packers made the play-offs and he was told to hit the bricks. But Mr. Rodgers did not take them to the super bowl till he developed. Farve showed he could still play and was willing. The JEts sucked. So Flynn is in Farve's position. Back up- or Not. Or do you wait for Tolzen to develop. KEEP IN MIND his teamates got OLDER. Some left. Go back and look at the last playoff game with Farve. It's tough to Lose when you wear your heart on your sleeve. By trading farve and being firm. Did the Packers show the team they cared enough to win? Or did they say YOU have to wait for Rodgers to develope. Flynn is Farve, Tolzen is Rodgers Here. You get paid to play football. It was Rodgers chance and he's done well.

But Flynn and Tolzien ain't Rodgers and I seriously doubt Aaron is worried Matt or Scott could take his job.
AlexGreen#20

PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2014 6:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

At the moment Tolzien probably has a less than 50% chance of even being in Green Bay by final cut down days.
blueswedeshoes

PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2014 7:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ManInCharge wrote:
I should also point out that Rodgers ended both 06 and 07 on IR shortly after playing in those games, so there was a contingent of fans screaming that he was injury prone.

I can't believe any of us would do that .

Oh yeah, that's right I did.

But I was a big fan later.
Mattwaukee

PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2014 11:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You just need incremental improvement each year. Rodgers just would find just one thing every year to work on each offseason.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2014 2:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I remember the exact moment, and game, that gave me the inclination that Rodgers would be special. It was the year before Favre "retired" against the Cowboys, back when they were good, and winning 10-12 games a year. Anyways, Favre got hurt when we were down by 21-24 points I believe it was, then Rodgers came in and led a furious comeback that fell just short as we ended up losing by 3.

I remember after the game was over I posted a thread on CBSsports (back when they had forums) proclaiming that Rodgers will be the best QB in the NFL someday, and that we should consider trading Favre in the offseason so we could get him a head start on his career. And, I was and still am a huge Favre fan, but I also think with my brain, and what would be best for the team.

You cannot imagine the amount of abuse I took after I said that. I was called a Favre basher, a troll, even a retarded midget.
PackerPride

PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2014 3:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was worried he was injury prone, once Brett was traded I wanted nothing more than for Aaron to succeed though.
Kampman74

PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2014 4:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In his third year I think Rodgers was pretty good in pre-season and did good after getting thrown in a game when Favre went insane against the Cowboys.
Kal-El

PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2014 9:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yup... Rodge's third season with preseason and Dallas relief game left me pretty confident about life after Favre. Injuries were a concern, but not a major one.

[quote="Macc_Aviv"](Mike Daniels) rushes the passer to get from point A to point B. Walking doesn't suit his personality.[/quote]

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Green Bay Packers All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 2 of 6

Jump to: