Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Aaron Rodgers the back up
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Green Bay Packers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
grizmo78

PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2014 2:32 am    Post subject: Aaron Rodgers the back up Reply with quote

As a fan of the Broncos and having drafted our QB of the future a couple years ago, there's been a lot of debate about how good Brock Osweiler is going to be. Some say he's a bust waiting to happen, some say he's going to be great, with everything in between. None of us really know though because he's only seen limited playing time with the second stringers, etc.

My question to you Packers fans is what was the general feeling about Rodgers when he was backing up Favre? Could you see his talent during practice and preseason? or was there a lot of debate about him as well. Lastly, how did the Packers handle getting Rodgers to take over? Did he get any reps with the 1 stringers or was he predominantly practicing with the second stringers?

Appreciate the feedback
DenzelSprewell

PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2014 3:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Favre didn't show up early in the offseason, so Rodgers had to take reps. Probably the opposite of what Peyton does. Anyway, there's no way to knowing until Ossy(I have a good vibe with him) plays. I'm sorry that this doesn't help.
Sandybaby716

PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2014 4:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rodgers looked lost his rookie season, it seemed hopeless his second season, but in his third season, when we saw him in the preseason and limited game action, he was a completely different player. Going into his first season as a starter, we were all mostly comfortable (although there were a lot of Favre fans hoping he'd fail; ugly divorce) with Aaron as the starter.

ManInCharge

PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2014 6:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rodgers was the king of the scout team. He never got legitimate reps or playing time with Favre in there (with the exception of a blowout by the Patriots in 06 and the Cowboys game in 07) , so he made the most of his time with the scout team. His whole Belt thing actually started there, as a way to have fun and motivate those guys to try hard even if they weren't likely to see the field on game days.

Otherwise, we could only really judge him by preseason looks.

"I know one thing about these guys, they're not going to stop quitting.''
Mazrimiv

PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2014 6:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sandybaby716 wrote:
Rodgers looked lost his rookie season, it seemed hopeless his second season, but in his third season, when we saw him in the preseason and limited game action, he was a completely different player. Going into his first season as a starter, we were all mostly comfortable (although there were a lot of Favre fans hoping he'd fail; ugly divorce) with Aaron as the starter.

That's exactly how I remember it. I was concerned watching Rodgers during his 2nd pre-season b/c he looked like he didn't belong in the NFL. A year later he looked like a completely different player. I'll always wonder how different Rodgers career would have played out had he been thrown into the starting lineup as a rookie the way so many high rd QB's are. As a rookie, he was nowhere near ready.
ManInCharge

PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2014 6:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I should also point out that Rodgers ended both 06 and 07 on IR shortly after playing in those games, so there was a contingent of fans screaming that he was injury prone.

"I know one thing about these guys, they're not going to stop quitting.''
NCPackers_08

PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2014 8:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sandybaby716 wrote:

This pretty much sums it up.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2014 8:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

yes. i called it from the get go. in the game vs the cowboys, we were getting whooped and favre went out with a fake injury (cuz he always sucks in dallas), enter rodgers... he shredded the cowboys, and we just lost by a hair.

i knew from that moment that rodgers was gonna be really good.

however, i don't think anybody expected him to become what he has become
Bucks
Badgers
ugLymayNe

PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2014 8:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ECPackers wrote:
yes. i called it from the get go. in the game vs the cowboys, we were getting whooped and favre went out with a fake injury (cuz he always sucks in dallas), enter rodgers... he shredded the cowboys, and we just lost by a hair.

The game in Dallas was in 07, though. That preseason he looked great. Before that, however, he was really not quick to make a decision. It seemed like he was thinking too much and the game took a while to slow down for him. But I agree, after that game I knew the Packers had their next QB. After seeing Favre choke away all those games I was happy he retired.

Sig brought to you by Justo
incognito_man wrote:
i forewent football this thursday in lieu of Grey's Anatomy and a bottle of wine
HyponGrey

PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2014 9:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

going into that third year there were questions about whether or not he was going to make the team. Take that as you want, we cut Kurt Warner once too.
DavidatMIZZOU

PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2014 9:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What are the Broncos' staff going to run after Peyton is done? For better or worse, Peyton runs Peyton's offense. Can Brock do that? Will the coaching staff want to? I have read that Peyton really dominates the first team practice looks, which is his prerogative, but does the back-up(s) no favors. Brock is probably going to have to run the scout team in a similar way Rodgers did in the past. Your best looks will come in preseason. Unfortunately, depending on what players are out there the results will vary.

Beat the Chiefs!

mistakebytehlak wrote:

My god it must be so terrible to have three teams that consistently make the playoffs
vegas492

PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2014 9:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kind of a different take from me.

In the draft process, Rodgers was in serious contention for the first overall pick. So there was talent there. And while he slipped mightily in the draft, he was still a first round pick. While Brock was drafted relatively high, he was still a second round pick.

Because of the draft process, I had very high hopes for Rodgers. Thought that we got a steal. Then like others, I watched the pre-season games and didn't like what I saw. Tenative. Funky delivery. Almost robotical on the practice field.

Then year two hit. Awkward delivery got better. Footwork seemed better. Still not a good product on the field, but definate improvement.

Year three? Different player in camp. While he didn't have Brett's arm, it wasn't far behind at all. Much better footwork. Scrambling ability showed up.

Then he finally got to start, under the ugliest of circumstances. And although the team didn't do that well, Rodgers produced. And that is when his extremely competitive side started coming out. And when that happened, I knew we had something special.

So as for as Brock goes, check the pre-season tape throughout the years on him. Look at the little things like footwork. As the QB reads the defense, the feet should lead the arm. If he is still locked onto his primary receiver? Issues. If he comes off and the feet lead him through the throw to a secondary guy? Good thing to see.
NCPackFan

PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2014 9:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ECPackers wrote:

That Dallas game was decided by the officials. Jarrett Bush gets beaten by Miles Austin and Austin's 5 yards in front of him when he trips on the astroturf and falls on his face. Bush gets called for PI. It wasn't as bad as the Fail Mary, but it's right up there.

The good news is that we knew Rodgers could take over for Favre VERY soon.
stockholder

PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2014 10:04 am    Post subject: come Reply with quote

ECPackers wrote:

No- They did know. I bumped into a older gentlemen in a medical office. He had on a GB champions jacket. Talked with him about Farve and Rodgers. Injuries etc. He backed rodgers. Said it was his Time to be the QB. He knew that Rodgers was going to be a very good QB. (inside INFO) Trust him on that. He was Right! MM took many precautions with Rodgers. Roll outs, patterns, etc. Farve was to be replaced. As we know It became a PR mess. The thing that was not right, was the screws to not letting Farve Compete. Lucky! Good question. Thompson does look good when you replace a legend and it kept the packers on top. But is Rodgers a legend. Brady is. Farve is. For now lets just enjoy Rodgers.
Revel8

PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2014 10:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ECPackers wrote:

Was watching that game at a sports bar and told everyone within ear's distance that Rodgers could become better than Favre ever was. It seemed obvious to me, but you should have seen their faces.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Green Bay Packers All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 1 of 6

Jump to: