Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Contract forecast: Jordy Nelson
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Green Bay Packers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
stockholder

PostPosted: Sun Jun 08, 2014 3:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Nelson Reply with quote

spilltray wrote:
Skypilot wrote:
Obviously he can't pay everybody market rate. Hawk, Burnett, Pickett, Shields, Sitton, Rodgers and CM3 notwithstanding. Would you have paid the 30 year-old Greg Jennings the $12-14 he and his mouthy wife and sister thought Greg was worth long term in 2013? Or, Wells, Kampman and Finley premium money into their 30's? The only one he blew was Cullen Jenkins and he was over 30. Maybe $8 M per season with decent guarantee money for Nelson IF they come to terms this summer.

Letting Jenkins walk was easily the right move as well. He wasn't worth that deal Philadelphia gave him and they restructured him after one season and let him go after two.
No he can't pay everybody. Wells he could have matched and should have. Kampman and Jenkins were chemistry and were a product of the system. Seems we could have used the picks in a better area. Most champions will give in to stay with their teammates. These 2 players really turned what could have been another championship into just a playoff contender. If they want to blackmail TT. The answer is walk. (Jennings, GB used him up.) But by letting some players walk. You also use up Woodson, Williams, Pickett etc.. And did. So what about Mathews ,Hawk, Rodgers etc. They all get older! See its just not the players but their teammates. It's team. You don't make it a business unless players want to move. They all want to contribute! You don't use a middle finger. TT did.
mikemike778

PostPosted: Sun Jun 08, 2014 4:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Nelson Reply with quote

stockholder wrote:
Most of your your posts are showing that nelson is only as good as his next season. TT drafts a rookie and you think he is good as a veteran. The thing your missing is the fix version. A guy leaves, we fix it. When they could have signed their own first. A rookie comes in and he's the greatest. But your losing the team chemistry, knowledge, and a player devoted to team. For all you TT disciples. Ask yourself this. Why are the Packers no longer a dynasty? Don't give me your baloney about injuries. Great teams don't use excuses. They show results on the field. It starts with the front office. We won the super bowl and should have stayed on top. They need to sign jordy Nelson. Quit plugging the dike with TTs middle finger.

I'm confused ...

I thought the problem was that TT spent the money on signing his own players rather than Free Agents ????

But you are right, as a historic team , the Packers should be exempt from salary cap rules. We should be able to sign every player in the league - maybe even all the players not in the league as well.

Stupid parity rules - how dare other teams try and beat the Packers. Naughty other teams.
NCPackers_08

PostPosted: Sun Jun 08, 2014 4:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nick da Pick wrote:
NCPackers_08 wrote:
On a side note to a related post above... what NFL team has been a dynasty in the last 10 years? None. Its an ever-increasing league of yearly turnover where it is extremely hard to stay on top. Dynasties are things of the past. To have made the playoffs in 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, & 2013 is remarkable and something to hang your hat on. We are a dynasty of the NFC North and that is a hard thing to do year in and year out in divisions that are more competitive across the board than ever before.

Lets think about our posts a little bit more eh?

New England Patriots actually

Last 10 years...

spilltray wrote:
Other teams have gotten hot, but that's life in today's NFL. The point is the Packers are consistently there. They are getting the shots. At that point everyone needs a little help from luck and specifically on the injury front the Packers haven't gotten much of that.

I couldn't agree more. We could have had a shot each year we were in the playoffs. But sometimes things play in the favor of other teams.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 08, 2014 5:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Nelson Reply with quote

stockholder wrote:
Most of your your posts are showing that nelson is only as good as his next season. TT drafts a rookie and you think he is good as a veteran. The thing your missing is the fix version. A guy leaves, we fix it. When they could have signed their own first. A rookie comes in and he's the greatest. But your losing the team chemistry, knowledge, and a player devoted to team. For all you TT disciples. Ask yourself this. Why are the Packers no longer a dynasty? Don't give me your baloney about injuries. Great teams don't use excuses. They show results on the field. It starts with the front office. We won the super bowl and should have stayed on top. They need to sign jordy Nelson. Quit plugging the dike with TTs middle finger.
Applause That sounds like great advice if you could take a hint.
stockholder

PostPosted: Sun Jun 08, 2014 5:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Nelson Reply with quote

Jsitton71# wrote:
stockholder wrote:
Applause That sounds like great advice if you could take a hint.
Are you dizzy? I Don't read between the Lines. I'm sure thats for all your loving Friends. Will see whose sheds tear drops about the whispers on the the packers. Nelson still has plenty in the tank. Hope TT makes a Wise decision and Gets his John Hancock!
NormSizedMidget

PostPosted: Sun Jun 08, 2014 6:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I gotta give this guy credit. He's world class dedicated.

To test the theory though I'll probably need 50+ grand at least for equipment

Last edited by NormSizedMidget on Sun Jun 08, 2014 7:11 pm; edited 1 time in total
Nick da Pick

PostPosted: Sun Jun 08, 2014 7:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

NCPackers_08 wrote:
Nick da Pick wrote:
NCPackers_08 wrote:
On a side note to a related post above... what NFL team has been a dynasty in the last 10 years? None. Its an ever-increasing league of yearly turnover where it is extremely hard to stay on top. Dynasties are things of the past. To have made the playoffs in 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, & 2013 is remarkable and something to hang your hat on. We are a dynasty of the NFC North and that is a hard thing to do year in and year out in divisions that are more competitive across the board than ever before.

Lets think about our posts a little bit more eh?

New England Patriots actually

Last 10 years...

spilltray wrote:
Other teams have gotten hot, but that's life in today's NFL. The point is the Packers are consistently there. They are getting the shots. At that point everyone needs a little help from luck and specifically on the injury front the Packers haven't gotten much of that.

I couldn't agree more. We could have had a shot each year we were in the playoffs. But sometimes things play in the favor of other teams.

Been to 2 Super Bowls, and have consecutively been in the playoffs year after year. I consider the Patriots a dynasty anyways. Also, I can't believe he just said TT should've resigned Wells even with hindsight.
NCPackers_08

PostPosted: Sun Jun 08, 2014 7:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If that's your criteria, then yes. But I view a dynasty as championship, success sustained at the top for a prolonged or majority of time within a specified time period.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 08, 2014 7:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

NCPackers_08 wrote:
If that's your criteria, then yes. But I view a dynasty as championship, success sustained at the top for a prolonged or majority of time within a specified time period.

FWIW, NE could have easily won one of those SBs, if not two. And go look how many games they win a freaking year.

It's like 12-13 average for 10 years.

I'm not killing them for not getting a SB in that time. We have one more ring since then, but when ya look at it, they've probably out done us overall. As silly as that sounds because of the "ultimate goal." But when you look at the sheer difficulty to be that good that long......

It's like 7 AFCC games they were in in 10 years or something.

That's freaking insane! I don't care if you have no rings to show for it.

Maybe that's not your definition of dynasty, and that's cool, but it's god damn impressive. Obviously I'll take our ring over there zero rings but they've been most consistently successful. Sometimes things don't break your way, they've given themselves so many chances to win one, even on "down" years for their squad. Ya can't hate on that.

To test the theory though I'll probably need 50+ grand at least for equipment
Jsitton71#

PostPosted: Sun Jun 08, 2014 7:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

NormSizedMidget wrote:
NCPackers_08 wrote:

FWIW, NE could have easily won one of those SBs, if not two. And go look how many games they win a freaking year.

It's like 12-13 average for 10 years.

I'm not killing them for not getting a SB in that time. We have one more ring since then, but when ya look at it, they've probably out done us overall. As silly as that sounds because of the "ultimate goal." But when you look at the sheer difficulty to be that good that long......

It's like 7 AFCC games they were in in 10 years or something.

That's freaking insane! I don't care if you have no rings to show for it.

Maybe that's not your definition of dynasty, and that's cool, but it's god damn impressive. Obviously I'll take our ring over there zero rings but they've been most consistently successful. Sometimes things don't break your way, they've given themselves so many chances to win one, even on "down" years for their squad. Ya can't hate on that.
I'm more impressed with the Bills four consecutive SB's.
svp

PostPosted: Sun Jun 08, 2014 7:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

They are like the Michael Jordon of Superbowls.

Skypilot

PostPosted: Sun Jun 08, 2014 11:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Nelson Reply with quote

stockholder wrote:
spilltray wrote:
Skypilot wrote:
Obviously he can't pay everybody market rate. Hawk, Burnett, Pickett, Shields, Sitton, Rodgers and CM3 notwithstanding. Would you have paid the 30 year-old Greg Jennings the $12-14 he and his mouthy wife and sister thought Greg was worth long term in 2013? Or, Wells, Kampman and Finley premium money into their 30's? The only one he blew was Cullen Jenkins and he was over 30. Maybe $8 M per season with decent guarantee money for Nelson IF they come to terms this summer.

Letting Jenkins walk was easily the right move as well. He wasn't worth that deal Philadelphia gave him and they restructured him after one season and let him go after two.
No he can't pay everybody. Wells he could have matched and should have. Kampman and Jenkins were chemistry and were a product of the system. Seems we could have used the picks in a better area. Most champions will give in to stay with their teammates. These 2 players really turned what could have been another championship into just a playoff contender. If they want to blackmail TT. The answer is walk. (Jennings, GB used him up.) But by letting some players walk. You also use up Woodson, Williams, Pickett etc.. And did. So what about Mathews ,Hawk, Rodgers etc. They all get older! See its just not the players but their teammates. It's team. You don't make it a business unless players want to move. They all want to contribute! You don't use a middle finger. TT did.

In hindsight, letting Jenkins walk was not the right move….because Mike Neal, his heir apparent, couldn't stay healthy his first two years and was eventually moved to OLB. I understand why TT did it---Jenkins was over 30, but if you let him walk---get somebody who can fill the position properly. Same think with Corey Williams (who wasn't worth anywhere near what Cleveland payed him) and Bustin Harrell.

It's not so much letting the vet. walk as failing in the draft pick replacement. Kampman was easy, though. He did not fit Capers' scheme and fell apart physically the moment he left GB. Wells? TT was right on that one, too.

Don't know what's up w/Raji, but I'm thankful he got greedy and foolishly turned down Ted's most generous offer a year ago. Wink
spilltray

PostPosted: Sun Jun 08, 2014 11:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Nelson Reply with quote

Skypilot wrote:
In hindsight, letting Jenkins walk was not the right move….because Mike Neal, his heir apparent, couldn't stay healthy his first two years and was eventually moved to OLB. I understand why TT did it---Jenkins was over 30, but if you let him walk---get somebody who can fill the position properly. Same think with Corey Williams (who wasn't worth anywhere near what Cleveland payed him) and Bustin Harrell.

It's not so much letting the vet. walk as failing in the draft pick replacement. Kampman was easy, though. He did not fit Capers' scheme and fell apart physically the moment he left GB. Wells? TT was right on that one, too.

Don't know what's up w/Raji, but I'm thankful he got greedy and foolishly turned down Ted's most generous offer a year ago. Wink

Jenkins fell off a cliff too. That was his high value mark and he got more than he was worth. The fact that his replacement didn't pan out has absolutely no bearing on the merits of letting Jenkins walk.

And with Raji, I still don't believe there ever really was a big offer on the table. It just doesn't add up for way too many reasons.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
NCPackers_08

PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2014 10:55 am    Post subject: Re: Nelson Reply with quote

spilltray wrote:
Skypilot wrote:

Jenkins fell off a cliff too. That was his high value mark and he got more than he was worth. The fact that his replacement didn't pan out has absolutely no bearing on the merits of letting Jenkins walk.

And with Raji, I still don't believe there ever really was a big offer on the table. It just doesn't add up for way too many reasons.

100% correct with this emboldened.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2014 11:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just read the thread. Much going on.

Jordy and the contract: My opinion....TT will re-sign him. He likes it here and we like him. Plus he just got the charity softball game, so he's got that going for him...which is nice. My guess is that he will ask for $10M/year. TT will want him around $7.5M/yr. Happy compromise is around $8.5-$9M year.

Cobb: For the sake of the analysis, I'll say Jordy gets $9M/year. Cobb likely gets the second deal for about 3-4 years averaging about $6-7M/year. And is set to hit free agency again before he is thirty where he will probably inherit the deal similar to Jordy. Plus inflation.

Brandon Marshall: Just a wow kind of player. Uber productive. I put him in a class above Jordy. Can't discredit production, even with targets and #1 WR discussion. And that is not a knock against Jordy. Just more of an andorsement of what Marshall has done over his career and with different teams.

Dynasty: Yep. New England is either a dynasty or as close as you get in this era. It isn't the Super Bowl wins, to me it is all about opportunity to win the big game. Patriots get to a lot of AFC championship games, so they've been good, very good, for a long time. My only mark against them is Spygate. They haven't won the Big One since then, and they were openly busted for cheating. That puts a black mark against them in my book.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Green Bay Packers All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 4 of 7

Jump to: