Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Colin Kaepernick Signed: What does that mean for Russell?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Seattle Seahawks
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tatupu_64

Location: Hello. My name is Inigo Montoya. You killed my father. Prepare to die.
PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2014 4:58 pm    Post subject: Colin Kaepernick Signed: What does that mean for Russell? Reply with quote

Kapernick just signed a deal for 6 years, 126 M (21M a year), with 61M guaranteed

Aside from that being ridiculous, what does that mean for Russell? I had gotten past the point of thinking he might take ~15M a year. However, I did have hopes that being the kind of guy Russell is he may sign for 18M a year.

However, I thought all of this while assuming Kaep would make about 16M a year. With this ridiculous contract, will Russell be willing to sign for less?

ram29jackson wrote:
LO freaking L...Seahawks aren't repeating crap and you can book that
Finchy

PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2014 5:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Assuming he continues to grow as a pocket passer, I'd guess Russ is gonna get at least what Kaep got, and likely even more.

Somewhere around a max contract of 6/$132m, at 22m a year, of which about half is guaranteed would be my guess.

With Luck, RGME and Cam all looking to sign new deals, although the first two having a fifth year option, I'm sure PCJS won't want to wait too long into next offseason to make the deal.

I read a book a week, so...
Bigjoe0075

PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2014 7:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is 2 ways it can go for Russell. He can either demand more money and get it because he has a ring and Kaep is a Dirt bag. Or he can accept a contract that is slightly less say around 15-18M similar to Flacco. And allow Seattle to build up the talent.

And if you think rings guarantees $ Brady is only making 12M per year and has 3 rings. So maybe Russell accepts something smaller for sake of the team.

What can 120M buy that 90M can't?
Meeker

PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2014 7:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bigjoe0075 wrote:
There is 2 ways it can go for Russell. He can either demand more money and get it because he has a ring and Kaep is a Dirt bag. Or he can accept a contract that is slightly less say around 15-18M similar to Flacco. And allow Seattle to build up the talent.

And if you think rings guarantees $ Brady is only making 12M per year and has 3 rings. So maybe Russell accepts something smaller for sake of the team.

What can 120M buy that 90M can't?

15-18m is a lot less than 21m+ per year not slightly..

Russ has said he wants to be an owner one day...120m certainly isn't enough, but its a lot closer than 90m.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2014 11:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd be willing to bet we give him less annually than Kaepernick, but more guaranteed.
imani

PostPosted: Thu Jun 05, 2014 1:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm going to say a little tiny bit less per year and longer

wwhickok wrote:
I don't believe for one second that Seattle makes it out of their first playoff game.

Russell Wilson Fan since July 2012
silus

PostPosted: Thu Jun 05, 2014 1:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's important to note that Kaepernick is "only" getting a 12mil signing bonus, which is very unusual for a contract that size i'm reading. Apparently he asked that his contract allow the 49ers to be flexible in signing other guys, and the small (relatively) signing bonus allowed for that.

With that said, there is no question that Russell is going to get at least that.
Tatupu_64

Location: Hello. My name is Inigo Montoya. You killed my father. Prepare to die.
PostPosted: Thu Jun 05, 2014 11:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

silus wrote:
It's important to note that Kaepernick is "only" getting a 12mil signing bonus, which is very unusual for a contract that size i'm reading. Apparently he asked that his contract allow the 49ers to be flexible in signing other guys, and the small (relatively) signing bonus allowed for that.

With that said, there is no question that Russell is going to get at least that.
Small signing bonus but still a ginormous chunk of guaranteed money

I'm of the opinion Russell's contract may actually be shorter. One of our selling pitches seems to be "you get 2 contracts in your prime years"

ram29jackson wrote:
Tatupu_64

PostPosted: Thu Jun 05, 2014 2:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SoS wrote:
Kaepernick's contract isn't nearly as ludicrous as initially reported.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2014/06/05/the-full-kaepernick-contract-details/

ram29jackson wrote:
imani

PostPosted: Thu Jun 05, 2014 3:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Technically, the deal has $61 million guaranteed, even though $6 million of the guaranteed salary could evaporate (more on that later). Either way, only $13.073 million is guaranteed at signing. It comes in the form of a $12.328 million signing bonus, a base salary of $645,000, and a workout bonus of $100,000.

For 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017, and part of 2018, the base salaries are guaranteed only for injury. On April 1 of each year, the guarantees convert from injury only to fully guaranteed. That gives the 49ers the ability to decide, in any given year, to move on from Kaepernick. And with the deadline for the conversion of the guarantee coming on April 1, the 49ers can squat on his rights until several weeks after the start of free agency, making it harder for him to get paid elsewhere.

wwhickok wrote:
I don't believe for one second that Seattle makes it out of their first playoff game.

hdshot

PostPosted: Thu Jun 05, 2014 4:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The real money comes in endorsements with more rings the better and RW would have no problems getting tv deals for the NFL when his career is over. Hope RW wants to play with quality instead of Wal-Mart or Costco talent and understands real money can come after football but has to be a winner. Is he thinking long term or short term? I'm hoping 10 mil a year for ten years most guaranteed and he gets his huge shoe and soda deals while becoming a house hold name like Tiger Woods once was. RW has the gift to do that unlike Kap.
Tatupu_64

PostPosted: Thu Jun 05, 2014 4:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No way in hell Russell Wilson takes 10M a year. That would be insulting of us to offer him so little

ram29jackson wrote:
imani

PostPosted: Thu Jun 05, 2014 4:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shoe deals? Laughing

wwhickok wrote:

hdshot

PostPosted: Thu Jun 05, 2014 4:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="Tatupu_64"]No way in hell Russell Wilson takes 10M a year. That would be insulting of us to offer him so little[/quote]

100 million in ten years insulting? If he sucks up all the cap then there would be nothing left but to insult the others. RW still gets a huge chunk I'm sure for all the 3 jerseys he would sell.
hdshot

PostPosted: Thu Jun 05, 2014 6:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="imani"]Shoe deals? Laughing[/quote]

http://www.tsmplug.com/richlist/nike-highest-paid-endorsement-deals/

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Seattle Seahawks All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: