Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Who is our biggest divisional threat this year?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Green Bay Packers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
CentralFC

PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2014 5:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

stockholder wrote:
NormSizedMidget wrote:
stockholder wrote:
pollino14 wrote:
ugLymayNe wrote:
I'm extremely confused by the love Detroit gets. Their defense isn't terrible and their offense is as good as ours? Remind me why the Packers won won the division with their two best players missing extended time while they were relatively healthy.

Chicago will be interesting this year. Yes they're old on defense but they finally have an offense.

Minnesota got a steal in Bridgewater even though they traded up for him. I think their offense will be much improved as I see Bridgewater's floor as Andy Dalton while his ceiling can be much higher. Part of me thinks they are the biggest threat in the division to the Packers.

Kind of sad seeing all of the defenses in the division in the position they are in.

TENINCH wrote:
Something isn't right in the football world when Detroit is a threat to win the division.

Laughing

Stafford is a decent QB but he's just another Romo. Have no fear.

I haven't seen anyone saying their offense is better than ours, nor should they. However, Detroit's offense is no joke, and could be very dangerous.

I think we're gonna take the division by 2-3 games this year personally.
Rodgers - another concussion! Beware!

We should open the playback and run him on tons of QB sneaks. Right? Like you just said in the other thread.
Wrong. Double edge sword. Block! This is why you fix the center. Surprise!

Four sided square! Run! This is why you fix safety! Get the route trees open and get Adams in space because speed is number one for receivers. Get the pads on! Jelly on your sandwich or no? If not good luck.

As they always say, can't join them, beat them! Packers better join them this season other McCarthy is a hot dog on a grill.
Pugger

PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2014 7:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jsitton71# wrote:
Chicago in the 2nd year in that offense with Trestman opening up the playbook is downright scary.

Yes, but have they truly improved their defense? Bear fans should pray they don't put MD Jennings back there.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2014 9:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pugger wrote:
Jsitton71# wrote:
Chicago in the 2nd year in that offense with Trestman opening up the playbook is downright scary.

Yes, but have they truly improved their defense? Bear fans should pray they don't put MD Jennings back there.

I hope they do Wink

PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2014 12:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

NCPackers_08 wrote:
Pugger wrote:
Jsitton71# wrote:

I hope they do Wink

Me too! Laughing
AlexGreen#20

PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2014 1:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

NCPackers_08 wrote:
Pugger wrote:
Jsitton71# wrote:

I hope they do Wink

Honestly, Jennings may be the best Safety on their roster at the moment if they decide to play the rook at Corner. Mundy is probably better, but damn that's a terrible group.
the combined record of Brady, Manning, Montana, Marino, Elway, Favre, Young, Staubach, Jim Kelly, Phil Simms, Warren Moon, Troy Aikman, Ben Roethlisberger when their defenses have given up 37 or more points? It's 0-24.
NCPackers_08

PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2014 2:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

AlexGreen#20 wrote:
NCPackers_08 wrote:
Pugger wrote:
Jsitton71# wrote:

I hope they do Wink

Honestly, Jennings may be the best Safety on their roster at the moment if they decide to play the rook at Corner. Mundy is probably better, but damn that's a terrible group.

It will be fun to see what a fully healthy A-Rod can do against that D this year...

PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2014 3:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

NCPackers_08 wrote:
AlexGreen#20 wrote:
NCPackers_08 wrote:
Pugger wrote:
Jsitton71# wrote:

I hope they do Wink

It will be fun to see what a fully healthy A-Rod can do against that D this year...

It will be fun to see what a fully healthy Rodgers/Lacy combination will do this year.
NCPackers_08

PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2014 3:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CentralFC wrote:
NCPackers_08 wrote:

It will be fun to see what a fully healthy Rodgers/Lacy combination will do this year.

This is very true. I think I speak for everyone when I say that is a salivating-inducing thought.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2014 11:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pugger wrote:
Jsitton71# wrote:

That's why I'm not sold on Chicago being all that great. Their defense is atrocious. You guys think our defense was bad. Chicago's defense was a total joke. We haven't had a defense that bad in probably 20 years. I'll take our offense over Chicago's. I think its a tougher offene to game plan for and we have the best QB in the NFL. I think our defense is more talented and just better. I just don't think you will ever see Aaron Rodgers fall to a team with a bad defense.

Detroit scares me because they have an offense that can beat you with big plays and a frightening pass rush. Never understimate the impact a good pass rush can have on your passing game.

I just don't trust Jay Cutler. I've seen Matt Stafford take a team with a bad defense to the playoffs by torching teams offensively. I've never seen Cutler dominate like that before. I think our defense matches up reasonably well with Chicago's offense. Detroit's offense scares me with CJ, Bush and now Ebron at TE. I think Golden Tate was a very solid acquisition and I think he can put up some decent numbers playing with CJ. The thing about Chicago is it just isn't that explosive of an offense. They put up a lot of empty yards but not that many true backbreaking impact plays.
strat1080

PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2014 12:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pick6byWoodson wrote:
strat1080 wrote:
stockholder wrote:
strat1080 wrote:
spilltray wrote:
No fear at all. I won't fear a team QB'd by either Matt Stafford or Jay Cutler until either one of them proves they are worth fearing. So far they haven't. Detroit's defense is pretty mediocre and I believe their DBs are outright bad. I'm not sure they can run the ball either. Yes they have a potent passing attack and a good DL. but they just aren't in GB's class. None of them have shown to be a threat to Green Bay and until they do, it's GB's division to lose.

I don't know man. We've struggled at Ford Field in recent years. I wouldn't call Detroit's defense mediocre. They have a pretty darn good pass rush and sometimes that can make all the difference in the world. For whatever reason that defense really seems to slow Rodgers' down at Ford Field. Detroit has played us pretty tight in the last few years. I do fear their offense. I think Chicago's kind of overrated. They have some playmakers but they don't really strike fear. Matt Stafford can have some pretty big games and has the talent around us to give us some fits. We're talking about the same guy that has dropped 40+ points on us several times. They have an offense that is very capable of rolling up 500 yards and 40+ points on us. The last two years, we've narrowly beaten Detroit both in Green Bay and on the road. Rodgers has very good career numbers against Detriot but that is because he destroyed them in 2008 and 2009 when they were awful. They've actually slowed him down quite a bit in recent years though.
When Farve came to pontiac, It was the artificial turf. Detroit was just terrible in rodgers early years. This team is no longer that push over. MM will have to guard against any let downs. The biggest thing was the time change and rushing to get the flight to detroit. A little jet lag. Detroit has this same problem going to GB. But this year this team is out to show they were better than their record. Detroit has a new offense and coach. Same defense and coach. You would be wise not to take this lion team lightly. I look for a passing game. Rodgers must bring his arm if he is going to beat the lions. If they try to run more than pass they will lose.- Its that simple. Detroit's DL is the dirtiest front four in the NFL, and they pride them selves on that. Look for a Dirty game when the lions and Packers meet. And the refs will not favor the Packers, if it comes down to this matchup. The best thing the packers can do is beat Detroit early!

This is the one thing I will agree with you on. THe other posters are off base. Our offense has flat out struggled against Detroit in recent years. Rodgers has absolutely shredded the Bears and Vikings yet the Lions have held us totally in check. They actually have the horses up front to generate massive pressure on Rodgers and even potentially knock him out of the game. I'm always worried about Suh and Fairley putting a big hit on Rodgers. That DL scares me. I'm not worried about Chicago at all. Their offense isn't as good as ours and their defense is just pathetic.

I think we have the best offense in the divisoin but Chicago and Detroit can have their moments where their offense is clicking. Detroit to me has the best defense in the division though. What gives me pause about Detroit is that sometimes a great pass rush can dominate even the really good offenses in the NFL.

I think some folks here are still remembering the pathetic Lions of years past and remembering Rodgers early struggles against some very good Bears defenses.

The fact of the matter is Chicago's defense is an absolute joke. Aaron Rodgers will always win when playing a bad defense. Facing a team with a very good pass rush scares me though. Because you just never know when your OL is going to have a bad game and surrender 4+ sacks and a bunch of pressures.

How does Detroit have a better defense than us? Their front-7 isn't much better than ours and our secondary is far better than theirs.

Well, statistically they have been a better defnese. Its just that simple. Detroit was pretty stout against the run and I think they have a better pass rush. I do agree we have a better secondary but if you can't get push up front it really doesn't matter. Our defense flat out sucked last year dude. We coudn't stop the run or the pass.

I am excited about our Front 7 this year but the thing is we say this every year. Well if such and such players can stay healthy we should be pretty good. I'll reserve judgement until we are an actual improved defense on the field. In recent years I've seen our offense torch Chicago and Minnesota but Detroit has slowed down our offense quite a bit. They've held us to single digits in the first half of games.

I don't think out Front 7 is even in the same ballpark as Detroit. Especially our DL. Our DL frankly wasn't very good at all last year. I've watched enough football over the years to see teams with a great pass rush but shanky secondary shut down great pass offenses. That is what always worries me about Detroit. They have the horses up front to make your QB miserable on any given Sunday. Detroit has an incredibly talented roster. They've just had discipline and focus issues due to an imcompotent coaching staff. Don't sleep on Detroit. That's a pretty darn talented roster.
Nick da Pick

PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2014 7:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Detroit released Chris Houston. They quite possibly have the worst CB tandem in the league. Going to be fun watching Aaron tear that defense apart.
ChaRisMa

PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2014 8:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nick da Pick wrote:
Detroit released Chris Houston. They quite possibly have the worst CB tandem in the league. Going to be fun watching Aaron tear that defense apart.

That secondary wasn't going to get better with Houston taking reps from players that could develop into better than Houston players.
AlexGreen#20

PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2014 8:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ChaRisMa wrote:
Nick da Pick wrote:

That secondary wasn't going to get better with Houston taking reps from players that could develop into better than Houston players.

Houston was their best (though way overpaid) CB. They're PRAYING that Slay and Bentley turn into a good #1 and slot guy. If not, their CB group is going to be one of the worst in recent memory. Quinn and Ihedigbo isn't awful, but hardly something to inspire confidence.
the combined record of Brady, Manning, Montana, Marino, Elway, Favre, Young, Staubach, Jim Kelly, Phil Simms, Warren Moon, Troy Aikman, Ben Roethlisberger when their defenses have given up 37 or more points? It's 0-24.
deathstar

PostPosted: Sat Jun 14, 2014 9:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can totally see Detroit signing Flowers.
ChaRisMa

PostPosted: Sat Jun 14, 2014 9:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

AlexGreen#20 wrote:
ChaRisMa wrote:
Nick da Pick wrote:

Houston was their best (though way overpaid) CB. They're PRAYING that Slay and Bentley turn into a good #1 and slot guy. If not, their CB group is going to be one of the worst in recent memory. Quinn and Ihedigbo isn't awful, but hardly something to inspire confidence.

Houston wasn't a starting caliber Corner for his career. We have 5 Corners I'd start over him in Tramon, Sam, Casey, Micah, and Davon.

At age 29, you are what you are in the NFL. If you are overpaid and old, even if you are the best player for game 1, you can bet most GMs will go younger and cheaper with thoughts that younger and cheaper will be better by game 16. You don't win in the NFL choosing immediate, certain mediocrity over possible growth.

Some teams pay Erik Walden 4.5 Million to be mediocre. Some teams draft and develop a replacement knowing the risk he could be worse but trusting his scouts and coaches to make him better than Erik Walden. That seems to be what separates long term prosperity from long term mediocrity or worse-how do you handle this situation.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Green Bay Packers All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 7 of 8

Jump to: