Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Who is our biggest divisional threat this year?
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Green Bay Packers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
pollino14

PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2014 11:29 am    Post subject: Who is our biggest divisional threat this year? Reply with quote

Simple enough, who do you guys believe poses the biggest threat to us winning another NFC North Championship?

1. Detroit- When I look at this Detroit team on paper, I see a lot of talent. Adding Tate and Ebron should take a lot of pressure on Calvin. They have two solid RBs that compliment each other well, and a much better offensive line than in previous years. I'm on the fence with Stafford; I believe he has the talent be a top QB, and now there's no excuses.

Defensively, the Lions have a VERY good defensive line that will give teams fits. It has the potential to be one of the best lines in the game if Ansah (who I was very high on) makes the year two jump, which will mean big trouble for us. Adding one of my favorite prospects this year for their LBs (Van Noy), their front seven should be much better a whole. I do believe we can expose their weak secondary which gives us the edge over them.

2. Chicago- To put it mildly, their offense is stacked.... Forte/Marshall and Jeffrey is a VERY lethal group. Bennett is no slouch at TE either. The offensive line has improved with the addition of Kyle Long. I am not a Jay Cutler fan though. His personality rubs me the wrong way, but his on field performance just doesn't impress me aside from his toughness. I don't trust him when the game in a big game and I think he holds this group back.

Defensively, the group is a mess. They have two talented CBs in Tillman and Jennings but they're 30 and 33. CB is a young mans game, and both could experience a drop in play. Fuller should be a good player in the future but rookie CBs take time to adjust normally. Huge fan of Briggs and Jared Allen but again, the wrong side of 30.

The Bears are a threat, but with Cutler and their aging defense, I think we're a bit ahead of them.

3. Minnesota- I'm not fan of this Minnesota team. I never was a Bridgewater guy, and am not afraid of Matt Cassell. You always have to worry about AP, but he's 29, has a ton of carries, and a history of injuries. RBs have a very short career, yes AP is a super athlete but Father Time doesn't lose to anybody. I am a HUGE fan of Cordarrelle Patterson and Kyle Rudolph but I don't think either of them are major threats this year.

Defensively the team should be better with Zimmer being the head coach. Talent wise they have a lot of young pieces in Rhodes, Barr, Floyd, Griffen and Smith. As these players develop, this group could be very good. This year, I see them middle of the road at best.

If I had to guess this standings
1. GB 12-4
2. Detroit 10-6
3. Chicago 8-8
4. Minnesota 5-11

PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2014 11:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just thank the Football Gods that it took Chicago's defense playing themselves into their own graves before the offense finally assembled what is now a really formidable unit.

Read more. Post less.
KManX89

PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2014 12:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

N. Collins Fan wrote:
Just thank the Football Gods that it took Chicago's defense playing themselves into their own graves before the offense finally assembled what is now a really formidable unit.

This.

Also, they've improved on that side of the ball, at least their Front 7 play should be substantially improved, getting Lamarr Houston and Jared Allen with a nice rotation behind them and moving Shea McClellin back to his natural OLB spot. Fuller has some obvious learning curves as a rookie, but as a nickel corner, his mistakes will be limited. He can spend year 1 learning behind Tillman and Jennings until he's ready to take over as the starter for one of them. An area where they got worse in, though, is at S, and their Safety play was already questionable at best last year. Don't discount Brock Vereen as a sleeper pick, but he's a 5th round rookie S, don't expect much from him in year 1. And Ryan Mundy to me was never anything more than a backup-caliber Safety.

Vikings substantially improved their DL, in getting Joseph, Crichton, and Wooton after losing Guion (no big loss, he's at best just our next C.J. Wilson) and at LB in getting Anthony Barr, who might also see some time at DE. Also, Munnerlynn is an improvement over Cook at RCB. Furthermore, as much as it pains me to say it, Bridgewater is one of the top QBs in the draft and they got a larceny of a steal of value for him at 32. He's an improvement over Ponder and Cassell, bare minimum. They still haven't addressed their hole at S opposite Harrison Smith, though.

The Lions offense should be scary good next year in getting Tate and Ebron along with the best receiver in the game in Megatron. They also improved at LB and their rookie CBs will have another year of experience under their belt, so that should see improvement next year as well. BTW, they've allowed the fewest points in their division despite playing with rookie and 2nd year DBs. At S, Ihedigbo is a downgrade from Delmas, but is nonetheless serviceable.

Tough call, but I'll give the benefit of the doubt to the Lions, though it could just as easily turn out to be the Bears or maybe Minnesota again. If not this year, they most certainly will be a year or 2 down the road.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2014 12:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's really easy to say Chicago is the toughest opponent but I'm going to say Detroit. You look at what they've done through the draft(Ebron, Van Noy, Swanson, Reid) and then who they currently have on their roster. Their offense is a lot more powerful than what people give them credit for and they've slowly improved on defense. I'd take Stafford over Cutler any day. Their OL is still a bit shaky but you'd think they'd take a step forward this year.

Sure, Chicago's offense looks powerful with Marshall and Jeffrey, but who is their #3 WR? Buehller? Their TE is Martellus Bennett who has done what exactly? What about Chicago's defense? I think the jury is out on that front-7 despite solid pieces in guys like Houston and Bostic. They've got a 32 year old Jared Allen and a bunch of mid-round rookies. I think their secondary might turn out to be better than their front-7.

Minnesota is not a threat but I think they can scrape an 8-8 record together at best. They've got a solid TE in Rudolph with a couple decent back-ups, they're WR corps is finally respectable to a fault, they've got a solid O-line and the best RB in football. Their defense will be improved this year, especially by adding Corey Wootton and Anthony Barr. Their secondary should be greatly improved essentially in year 2 and with Mike Zimmer as their coach, their defense should outplay what's on paper.

Things will be a bit tougher for us this year, but you're looking at the Packers as the only team in the division with an established offense and an improving defense as opposed to a team that's consistently rebuilding like Detroit and Minnesota, and Chicago who is recovering from the Jerry Angelo era.

We stay healthy, we win walking away: that simple.

Green Bay 13-3
Detroit 11-5
Chicago 9-7
Minnesota 6-10(steals a win at Chicago)
GBPACKMAN4LIFE

PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2014 12:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Right now, the Bears.

Two years from now, the Vikings.

As long as Jim Caldwell is the Lions, HC, never the Lions.

Ernest Hemingway wrote:
My aim is to put down on paper what I see and what I feel in the best and simplest way.
BrettFavre004

PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2014 12:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Easily Chicago, IMO. Their D, like our D, really has one way to go, up. One of the top offenses in the league. No idea what their doing at safety, but if Mad Dawg gets significant time, I'd go with Detroit.

http://www.footballsfuture.com/phpBB2/viewforum.php?f=17
stockholder

PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2014 1:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The talent on Detroit and chicago have caught the packers! The firing of Shorts did GB a favor. But the offensive side of both detroit and chicago must be stopped! The division winner in the end? What defense can stop their opponent. GB has many questions in the center and safety positions. Prediction:
1. GB 8-8
2. Detroit 8-8
3. Chicago 8-8
4. Minnesota 6-10

PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2014 1:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The talent on Detroit and chicago have caught the packers! The firing of Shorts did GB a favor. But the offensive side of both detroit and chicago must be stopped! The division winner in the end? What defense can stop their opponent. GB has many questions in the center and safety positions. Prediction:
1. GB 8-8
2. Detroit 8-8
3. Chicago 8-8
4. Minnesota 6-10

PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2014 1:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It still comes down to coaching and quarterbacking. Minnesota has had some very talented teams in the not so distant past, but lack of a quarterback always held them back.

I still think we are two games better than Chicago when all is said and done

PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2014 2:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

stockholder wrote:
1. GB 8-8
2. Detroit 8-8
3. Chicago 8-8
4. Minnesota 6-10

Isn't it bad enough you made this dumb prediction once, but you had to do it twice haha. The biggest threat going forward for the next few years will still be the Bears. Detroit has yet to prove they won't self destruct. Predicting this Packer team at 8-8 going in and healthy is pretty weak.
BobSacamano

PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2014 2:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

IR.

KingTarvaris7 wrote:
last year's vikings were far better than the packers team that just won
CentralFC

PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2014 2:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

1. Green Bay: 12-4.
2. Detroit: 10-6.
3. Chicago: 9-7.
4. Minnesota: 6-10.
Nick da Pick

PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2014 2:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BobSacamano wrote:
IR.

Best answer thus far Laughing

Truthfully, I fear Detroit the most. They just have so much talent.
strat1080

PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2014 2:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

KManX89 wrote:
N. Collins Fan wrote:

This.

Also, they've improved on that side of the ball, at least their Front 7 play should be substantially improved, getting Lamarr Houston and Jared Allen with a nice rotation behind them and moving Shea McClellin back to his natural OLB spot. Fuller has some obvious learning curves as a rookie, but as a nickel corner, his mistakes will be limited. He can spend year 1 learning behind Tillman and Jennings until he's ready to take over as the starter for one of them. An area where they got worse in, though, is at S, and their Safety play was already questionable at best last year. Don't discount Brock Vereen as a sleeper pick, but he's a 5th round rookie S, don't expect much from him in year 1. And Ryan Mundy to me was never anything more than a backup-caliber Safety.

Vikings substantially improved their DL, in getting Joseph, Crichton, and Wooton after losing Guion (no big loss, he's at best just our next C.J. Wilson) and at LB in getting Anthony Barr, who might also see some time at DE. Also, Munnerlynn is an improvement over Cook at RCB. Furthermore, as much as it pains me to say it, Bridgewater is one of the top QBs in the draft and they got a larceny of a steal of value for him at 32. He's an improvement over Ponder and Cassell, bare minimum. They still haven't addressed their hole at S opposite Harrison Smith, though.

The Lions offense should be scary good next year in getting Tate and Ebron along with the best receiver in the game in Megatron. They also improved at LB and their rookie CBs will have another year of experience under their belt, so that should see improvement next year as well. BTW, they've allowed the fewest points in their division despite playing with rookie and 2nd year DBs. At S, Ihedigbo is a downgrade from Delmas, but is nonetheless serviceable.

Tough call, but I'll give the benefit of the doubt to the Lions, though it could just as easily turn out to be the Bears or maybe Minnesota again. If not this year, they most certainly will be a year or 2 down the road.

The issue with Chicago is that Jay Cutler just isn't a big game QB. He's very much like Romo. Now that he has some good playmakers on offense he will put up Tony Romo like numbers but in those big game mathcups with everything on the line he folds.
strat1080

PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2014 3:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

stockholder wrote:
1. GB 8-8
2. Detroit 8-8
3. Chicago 8-8
4. Minnesota 6-10

In a way I agree. Offensively at the skill positions Detroit and Chicago are equal to Green Bay. The problem with this is that Aaron Rodgers is much better than Stafford and Cutler. Green Bay just isn't a 8-8 team. They were 6-2 in the games that Rodgers started and finished last year and IMO they had a tougher schedule last year. Somehow they finish 8-7-1 when Rodgers missed half the season but now you think they are a 8-8 team with him back in the mix? That's just plain silly. I think Green Bay has improved massively this offseason. I think they are one of the most improved teams. I don't always feel that way.

Sorry dude but just about every post of yours that I've read has been completely ridiculous. Are you an actual Green Bay fan?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Green Bay Packers All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 1 of 8

Jump to: