Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

WR in 2015: Stephon Diggs
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Carolina Panthers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jrl23

PostPosted: Sat May 31, 2014 1:43 am    Post subject: WR in 2015: Stephon Diggs Reply with quote

Even with Kelvin Benjamin, this receiving core is unproven, one-dimensional (unless Kelvin is faster than his 4.61 40 indicates, and has two 30 plus year olds as no.1/2 and 3 at wide receiver. If available, I would love for Carolina to draft STEPHON DIGGS in the first or perhaps Doriial Green Beckham if he could keep his head on straight and indeed has 4.4 speed. Even with the needs at LT, RB (yes, I understand there is money invested but no youthful talents), and the entire secondary, would you Diggs in the first if available? I think that this guy is way better than Odell Beckham who it seems like many Panthers fans wanted in the first if available

Last edited by jrl23 on Sat May 31, 2014 7:25 am; edited 1 time in total
Zithers

PostPosted: Sat May 31, 2014 5:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dunno anything about CFB but if we take another receiver i'll be mad. simply isn't an essential position to win football games. right now our main priority is beating seattle. there is virtually a 0% chance benjamin/diggs would beat sherman, thomas, chancellor, etc. and seattle didnt even have a 900 yard receiver last season.

beating a team like seattle, new orleans, or san francisco AKA teams we will have to beat to get to the super bowl, begins and ends with winning in the trenches. and our OL sucks. we need to do whatever we can to make it better if we want to get to the big game and win in the next season or two before cam and luke's contracts blow up our cap.

PostPosted: Sat May 31, 2014 11:36 am    Post subject: Re: WR in 2015: Stephon Diggs Reply with quote

jrl23 wrote:
Even with Kelvin Benjamin, this receiving core is unproven, one-dimensional (unless Kelvin is faster than his 4.61 40 indicates, and has two 30 plus year olds as no.1/2 and 3 at wide receiver. If available, I would love for Carolina to draft STEPHON DIGGS in the first or perhaps Doriial Green Beckham if he could keep his head on straight and indeed has 4.4 speed. Even with the needs at LT, RB (yes, I understand there is money invested but no youthful talents), and the entire secondary, would you Diggs in the first if available? I think that this guy is way better than Odell Beckham who it seems like many Panthers fans wanted in the first if available

Benjamin is faster than his 4.6 40 showed. He is average at acceleration but once he gets moving he has "another gear" like Gettlemen said. I saw him flying past defenders in college on deep balls. We didn't draft him to be a burner, we drafted him hoping for the next Brandon Marshall, Plaxico Burress (pre leg shot era). Big possession WR (6-5", 84" wingspan with good speed is just what Cam needs. Should be an automatic in the redzone now with Benjamin, Olsen, Tolbert being great redzone targets.

Depends where we pick in the draft on taking Diggs. I like him a lot but we have bigger needs now after drafting Benjamin as our #1. Although two young #1s for Cam to throw to for the next 10 years sounds great.
boondock

PostPosted: Sat May 31, 2014 1:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I do think we need another WR outside of KB regardless of how he performs this year. I don't think it's a first or 2nd round pick, unless it's an absolute BPA. 2015 WR FAs are underwhelming with Demaryius Thomas probably being the best of the group.

PostPosted: Sat May 31, 2014 4:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

boondock wrote:
I do think we need another WR outside of KB regardless of how he performs this year. I don't think it's a first or 2nd round pick, unless it's an absolute BPA. 2015 WR FAs are underwhelming with Demaryius Thomas probably being the best of the group.

It's sad when Greg Olsen is the fastest receiving option in your team.
FriendlyEnemy

PostPosted: Sat May 31, 2014 8:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Zithers wrote:
dunno anything about CFB but if we take another receiver i'll be mad. simply isn't an essential position to win football games. right now our main priority is beating seattle. there is virtually a 0% chance benjamin/diggs would beat sherman, thomas, chancellor, etc. and seattle didnt even have a 900 yard receiver last season.

beating a team like seattle, new orleans, or san francisco AKA teams we will have to beat to get to the super bowl, begins and ends with winning in the trenches. and our OL sucks. we need to do whatever we can to make it better if we want to get to the big game and win in the next season or two before cam and luke's contracts blow up our cap.

To an extent I agree. The offensive line needs to be addressed. However, I disagree that receivers are not an essential position to win football games, especially in todays NFL.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2079705-how-pass-heavy-offenses-continue-to-reshape-nfl-operations?search_query=pass%20heavy%20offenses%20continue%20to%20reshape%20nfl

Quote:
The average 2012 NFL team had five (4.94) receivers that contributed at least a little, far more than in any previous decade. The average 2012 NFL team also had two (2.16) receivers that were at least average, and one (0.94) receiver that was at least one standard deviation above the mean.

As the league continues its shift to a more pass-oriented league, the need for athletic, productive wide receivers increases. Do we have those wide receivers now? Maybe. But drafting a talented wide receiver in one of the early rounds would only help us contend more in this league.

PostPosted: Sat May 31, 2014 11:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ehhhhh.... the league is shifting again though. the 11-13 49ers arent a passing team. the seahawks arent a passing team. the panthers arent a passing team. the saints are but they also have a nasty defense. these were probably the four best teams in the league last season with denver, who crumpled because they're finesse and built their team around the QB and making sure he had receivers.

i'd rather be a team that can impose their will by having a strong run game and good enough pass blocking to give WRs time to get open than pick up the best skill position players available until things start to finally work.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 01, 2014 12:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been following this guy since he committed to Maryland over the rest of the US. He was injured last year so he didn't get a chance to really prove himself in his sophomore year. I think he'll have a productive season and will end up a top 15 pick next year. I'd love to take him if we had a shot, but I want us to look at Oline/RB in the first round, a few stud running backs from the SEC will be coming out this year.

*2013 NFC South Champions* Panthers
Gamecocks
Smitty89

PostPosted: Sun Jun 01, 2014 3:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Toughguy77 wrote:
I've been following this guy since he committed to Maryland over the rest of the US. He was injured last year so he didn't get a chance to really prove himself in his sophomore year. I think he'll have a productive season and will end up a top 15 pick next year. I'd love to take him if we had a shot, but I want us to look at Oline/RB in the first round, a few stud running backs from the SEC will be coming out this year.

Todd Gurley Pray
Toughguy77

PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2014 12:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Smitty89 wrote:
Toughguy77 wrote:

Todd Gurley Pray

I love this kid 364 days of the year Laughing

*2013 NFC South Champions* Panthers
Gamecocks
TROJANPANTHER

PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2014 6:03 pm    Post subject: Re: WR in 2015: Stephon Diggs Reply with quote

jrl23 wrote:

Al Davis Reincarnate?

Carolina Kitten - Sig God.

NFL - Panthers
College - USC, UNM
jrl23

PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2014 6:14 pm    Post subject: Re: WR in 2015: Stephon Diggs Reply with quote

TROJANPANTHER wrote:
jrl23 wrote:

Al Davis Reincarnate?

Anyone with a brain can see that the offense lacks speed at the receiver position.
TROJANPANTHER

PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2014 10:18 pm    Post subject: Re: WR in 2015: Stephon Diggs Reply with quote

jrl23 wrote:
TROJANPANTHER wrote:
jrl23 wrote:

Al Davis Reincarnate?

Anyone with a brain can see that the offense lacks speed at the receiver position.

Except that our offense is not a stretch the field, big play offense, so excuse me if I'm not freaking out.

NFL - Panthers
College - USC, UNM
jrl23

PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2014 12:26 am    Post subject: Re: WR in 2015: Stephon Diggs Reply with quote

TROJANPANTHER wrote:
jrl23 wrote:
TROJANPANTHER wrote:
jrl23 wrote:

Al Davis Reincarnate?

Except that our offense is not a stretch the field, big play offense, so excuse me if I'm not freaking out.

Moot point. It isn't because it lacks the pieces to be - as I previously stated.
TROJANPANTHER

PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2014 10:49 am    Post subject: Re: WR in 2015: Stephon Diggs Reply with quote

jrl23 wrote:
TROJANPANTHER wrote:
jrl23 wrote:
TROJANPANTHER wrote:
jrl23 wrote:

Al Davis Reincarnate?

Moot point. It isn't because it lacks the pieces to be - as I previously stated.

So you really think the only reason we aren't running a high octane, big play, air it out offense is because we don't have all sub 4.4 receivers on the roster? Not the fact that we hired a guy as our OC who is widely considered the most conservative offensive coordinator in the league?

You really think Dave Gettleman and Co. really sat down and said "Oh crap! We forgot to sign or draft all the super fast receivers we wanted! Well I guess we'll just have to go back to being a ball control offense again. Aww shucks!"

C'mon man.

NFL - Panthers
College - USC, UNM

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Carolina Panthers All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: