Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Y2's 2014 Roster Preview/Predictions #85 Posted 6/6
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> San Francisco 49ers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
y2lamanaki

FF Fanatic
PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2014 10:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

87) James McCray, S

Chance at the 53-man roster: Next to none
Chance at the practice squad: Low

James McCray is from small school, Catawba, and I'm not going to pretend I know anything about him. Going off what I know, I know the team's not going to keep more than 5 safeties, and Reid, Bethea, Ward, Spillman, Dahl, and Ventrone are all going to be above him barring some incredible showing in camp/preseason. In terms of the practice squad, there's only a small chance the team will keep 2 DBs on the practice squad (2 OL are needed, and from there a QB, HB/FB, WR/TE, DL, LB, and DB could all be possible), and I can't imagine he's at the top of that list right now either.

McCray did lead his team in kick return yardage at Catawba and averaged 32.5 yards on his returns. That might be where he needs to make a difference to stick around.

Frank Gore Career Rushing List Tracker:

*Currently Ranked 26th All-Time
*Yards needed to pass #25, Eddie George: 51
*Yards needed to enter Top 20: 578
big9erfan

PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2014 5:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh my. A prediction from you might be the kiss of death. We just cut Netter.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2014 7:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can already guess who is #1 on this list. There's one guy who I don't think will be cut, because he has a lot of guaranteed money.

RudyZ's Power Rankings Power Ranking

1) RudyZ's Power Rankings Power Ranking
2) y2's pie Power Rankings (3.1416 rules!)
3) N4L's Poster Power Rankings
y2lamanaki

FF Fanatic
PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2014 10:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

86) Chase Thomas, LB

Chance at the 53-man roster: Low

I have Chase Thomas relatively low as there are clearly a lot of linebackers ahead of him on the deph chart already, and ones with more promise at that. He earned his spot on the roster after the most recent local prospect tryouts, which you can look at in one of two ways. It's either a good thing that he showed promise enough for the team to want to work with him further - or - it's a bad thing because he was picked up later than just about everyone else to fill out the roster. I'm leaning more toward the latter. As for the practice squad - it's hard to say he doesn't have a chance, but he bounced around a lot of teams' squads last year and isn't someone I expect on the squad at any point.

Thoams was All-Pac-12 First Team his senior year, and an All-American in 2011.

49ers Finest

PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2014 10:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

y2lamanaki wrote:
86) Chase Thomas, LB

I have Chase Thomas relatively low as there are clearly a lot of linebackers ahead of him on the deph chart already, and ones with more promise at that. He earned his spot on the roster after the most recent local prospect tryouts, which you can look at in one of two ways. It's either a good thing that he showed promise enough for the team to want to work with him further - or - it's a bad thing because he was picked up later than just about everyone else to fill out the roster. I'm leaning more toward the latter. As for the practice squad - it's hard to say he doesn't have a chance, but he bounced around a lot of teams' squads last year and isn't someone I expect on the squad at any point.

not positive but his tryout was not the same as the local pro day one. it was after that. which would be the reason he was also signed after

new sig... sorry alex
y2lamanaki

FF Fanatic
PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2014 10:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

49ers Finest wrote:
y2lamanaki wrote:
86) Chase Thomas, LB

not positive but his tryout was not the same as the local pro day one. it was after that. which would be the reason he was also signed after

Ahh, my bad, then. I thought it was part of the same tryout session.

y2lamanaki

FF Fanatic
PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2014 8:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

85) Josh Johnson, QB

Chance at the Practice Squad: None

This might be one of the first shocks of the list, but again - it's not ranking all the players ahead of him as better players - just ones more likely to make a contribution. Seeing as the first time around, Josh Johnson was released in favor of Scott Tolzien, and seeing as we're likely to keep only 2 QBs on the 53-man squad, it seems like a safe bet that Josh Johnson won't find his way onto the squad (Kaep's a duh, and Gabbert's contract is already guaranteed). Even if the team decided to go with 3, I'd have to imagine if they were more intrigued by Tolzien's potential over Johnson, they'd be more intrigued by McLeod Bethel-Thompson's as well. His one opportunity might be if Kaepernick went down with a preseason injury of any kind (knocking hard on wood), and the team wanted a veteran to be on the roster while he recovered.

rudyZ

PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2014 8:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

y2lamanaki wrote:
85) Josh Johnson, QB

This might be one of the first shocks of the list, but again - it's not ranking all the players ahead of him as better players - just ones more likely to make a contribution. Seeing as the first time around, Josh Johnson was released in favor of Scott Tolzien, and seeing as we're likely to keep only 2 QBs on the 53-man squad, it seems like a safe bet that Josh Johnson won't find his way onto the squad (Kaep's a duh, and Gabbert's contract is already guaranteed). Even if the team decided to go with 3, I'd have to imagine if they were more intrigued by Tolzien's potential over Johnson, they'd be more intrigued by McLeod Bethel-Thompson's as well. His one opportunity might be if Kaepernick went down with a preseason injury of any kind (knocking hard on wood), and the team wanted a veteran to be on the roster while he recovered.

You're totally overlooking his value as a receiver...

y2lamanaki

FF Fanatic
PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2014 9:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

rudyZ wrote:
y2lamanaki wrote:
85) Josh Johnson, QB

Don't make me lower him to #89 Wink

rudyZ

PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2014 9:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

y2lamanaki wrote:
rudyZ wrote:
y2lamanaki wrote:
85) Josh Johnson, QB

Why are you still that mean to Colton Schmidt... I love the kid.

y2lamanaki

FF Fanatic
PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2014 9:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

rudyZ wrote:
y2lamanaki wrote:
rudyZ wrote:
y2lamanaki wrote:
85) Josh Johnson, QB

The weird thing is - when you said you had a Colton Schmidt jersey, I didn't think it was ridiculous. Anyone other than Colton Schmidt, Colton Schmidt's family/close friends, and rudyZ owning a Colton Schmidt jersey would be weird, but you fit the criteria.

rudyZ

PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2014 9:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

y2lamanaki wrote:
rudyZ wrote:
y2lamanaki wrote:
rudyZ wrote:
y2lamanaki wrote:
85) Josh Johnson, QB

The weird thing is - when you said you had a Colton Schmidt jersey, I didn't think it was ridiculous. Anyone other than Colton Schmidt, Colton Schmidt's family/close friends, and rudyZ owning a Colton Schmidt jersey would be weird, but you fit the criteria.

It was ON SALE!

y2lamanaki

FF Fanatic
PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2014 5:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

84) Eric Wright, CB

Chance at the 53-man roster: None

I'm predicting he'll retire before training camp.

No, seriously, though - I plan on putting out a big update soon to catch up. Just had a crazy busy couple of weeks without much sit down and think time.

big9erfan

PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2014 11:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Been missing the updates.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2014 7:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Come on y2, looks like you have a lot of catching up to do Wink.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> San Francisco 49ers All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: