Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Predict the stats
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Tampa Bay Buccaneers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Caaddy24

PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2014 5:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tml_gogo wrote:
Caaddy24 wrote:
I haven't even seen this Sims guy play yet, but even if he's really good, I still think it was a terrible pick... we still need depth on the offensive and defensive lines

I guess it was just a pure BPA pick.

Yeah that's why I don't really like doing BPA picks... cause if they don't turn out to be the BPA then it was an even worse pick, and if they do turn out to be really good but buried in the depth chart then they're underused
bucsfan333

PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2014 6:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Caaddy24 wrote:
tml_gogo wrote:
Caaddy24 wrote:
I haven't even seen this Sims guy play yet, but even if he's really good, I still think it was a terrible pick... we still need depth on the offensive and defensive lines

I guess it was just a pure BPA pick.

Yeah that's why I don't really like doing BPA picks... cause if they don't turn out to be the BPA then it was an even worse pick, and if they do turn out to be really good but buried in the depth chart then they're underused

I'm still scratching my head too. You aren't alone.
REDandPEWTER

PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2014 6:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is what I don't understand. Sims adds that explosive weapon from the backfield that us Buc fans have been asking for. He was the BPA that fit what we wanted to do. Obviously we didn't like any of the OL on the board and just didn't take one due to need. Yeah it was a shock at first but we had not one but two starting rbs go down and Rainey impressed in just 2 games Miami and Atlanta. Martin and James are similar so adding sims is a very good change up and we keep rbs fresh, especially with our questionable qb play.
tml_gogo

PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2014 8:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

REDandPEWTER wrote:
This is what I don't understand. Sims adds that explosive weapon from the backfield that us Buc fans have been asking for. He was the BPA that fit what we wanted to do. Obviously we didn't like any of the OL on the board and just didn't take one due to need. Yeah it was a shock at first but we had not one but two starting rbs go down and Rainey impressed in just 2 games Miami and Atlanta. Martin and James are similar so adding sims is a very good change up and we keep rbs fresh, especially with our questionable qb play.

It was just a very odd pick. BPA works to an extent. Do you think the Packers would have drafted Teddy Bridgewater if he fell to them in round 2? Obviously a stupid example because multiple backs can play in a game, but the premise is there. Doug Martin is an all-pro caliber back. Mike James has fantastic ability. Rainey looked at least like an NFL player in a couple of his starts. Even Demps brings something unique to this offense.

I don't really dislike the selection, Sims looks good, but I think our 3rd round pick could have been used on a more dire position and running back could have been addressed later on.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2014 9:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

REDandPEWTER wrote:

BPA is really an archaic term that doesn't apply most of the time. When we see a pick that doesn't hit an immediate need we term it as BPA, but is it really? We don't know what the team's big board actually looked like. Maybe they don't like Doug Martin long-term because he struggles catching the football?

I don't know what the reason was for the Sims pick, but it was the one pick that I didn't like. Even if he turns out to be a quality back, we had plenty of depth at the position already and RBs are a dime a dozen. Marcus Martin, Will Sutton and Trai Turner would have been much better picks IMO.

Adopt-A-Buc Adrian Clayborn
Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad
tml_gogo

PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2014 10:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Exactly. We can't knock Sims individually because we haven't seen him play yet. That being said, it was a weird pick. Not only are effective running backs pretty easy to find nowadays, but we already have roughly 3 good ones.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2014 11:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DaRealdeal wrote:
REDandPEWTER wrote:

BPA is really an archaic term that doesn't apply most of the time. When we see a pick that doesn't hit an immediate need we term it as BPA, but is it really? We don't know what the team's big board actually looked like. Maybe they don't like Doug Martin long-term because he struggles catching the football?

I don't know what the reason was for the Sims pick, but it was the one pick that I didn't like. Even if he turns out to be a quality back, we had plenty of depth at the position already and RBs are a dime a dozen. Marcus Martin, Will Sutton and Trai Turner would have been much better picks IMO.

To a point I agree. Example a team like Indy isn't going to have any top tier qbs on their board bc they know luck is their guy for the long haul.

But our staff looks at keeping guys fresh in the backfield and graded sims as a player on the board highly bc Tedford likes a back that can be a threat in the pass game. How can you say demps is reliable? Dude wants to be an Olympic athlete as well. He seems committed to football but he got hurt after one game last year.

I agree we could have used another DT but maybe they didn't see Any DT that were higher than sims at the time bc sims adds value of explosive ability that a guy like Sutton does not?

We have 3 current DTs and a guy like Gholston who can kick inside. I do see us adding another DT.
bucstopshere

PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2014 5:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DaRealdeal wrote:
REDandPEWTER wrote:

Ding ding ding perfect answer DRD. It hurt passing on Trai Turner, then having the panthers choose him.

Sims could be a fine player, but as of right now our starting guards are Cousins and Meredith. Man if Meredith got hurt?? Yuckkkkk

PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2014 6:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Although I hate to complain about any draft that the bucs draft who I wanted in the first round. The offense is still gonna be pretty solid if the O-line holds up.... and if Glennon starts....
REDandPEWTER

PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2014 7:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Caaddy24 wrote:
Although I hate to complain about any draft that the bucs draft who I wanted in the first round. The offense is still gonna be pretty solid if the O-line holds up.... and if Glennon starts....

You know it's not uncommon you find interior starts on the OL on day 3 of the draft.

And you mean if we get good consistency from either qb which is what I'm hoping for. But when I say hope, I say it with hesitation.
bucsfan333

PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2014 9:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I dunno. I see the draft as a way to add potential to your starters, your needs, and your depth. I don't see Sims as much of an upgrade to any of those.

He's an addition to the deepest position on the roster. Though technically depth, it doesn't make sense. I don't see the point. Especially with all the other holes we have. It seems like a "leisure" pick. After a 4-12 season, we can't do that. I understand the idea of "not reaching" but, really? There were guys with reasonable rankings that could have had a chance to make more of an impact than a number two/three RB. I don't understand why we didn't go that way.

Granted, if we have a QB, it doesn't matter. But we don't know that yet.
_____

I'm excited to see what he can do for us. I hope he makes a big impact. I just don't know how he'll have the opportunity to do it. He worked out as a return man. Maybe that's a big part of his niche?
DaRealdeal

PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2014 9:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

bucstopshere wrote:
DaRealdeal wrote:
REDandPEWTER wrote:

Ding ding ding perfect answer DRD. It hurt passing on Trai Turner, then having the panthers choose him.

Sims could be a fine player, but as of right now our starting guards are Cousins and Meredith. Man if Meredith got hurt?? Yuckkkkk

Ugh, watching the Panthers pick him made it so much worse...

I'm not even knocking Sims as a player really. I like his short-area quickness for a bigger back and he's an elite receiver, but what is the value in that over the long-term when you already have a strong stable of backs?

Adopt-A-Buc Adrian Clayborn
Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad
tml_gogo

PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2014 10:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

At this point, I feel like the only way we look back and say it was a good pick is if Sims gets a lot of touches and performs great, or kills it on the returns. If he is continuously playing 3rd/4th fiddle behind Martin/James/Rainey and comes in to the game for the odd swing pass or kick return, it will be a bit of a waste.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2014 10:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

tml_gogo wrote:
At this point, I feel like the only way we look back and say it was a good pick is if Sims gets a lot of touches and performs great, or kills it on the returns. If he is continuously playing 3rd/4th fiddle behind Martin/James/Rainey and comes in to the game for the odd swing pass or kick return, it will be a bit of a waste.

I See James and Sims getting atleast 5-8 Touches a game each, cause tedford will alternate RBs.

Adopt a Buc: Vincent Jackson 8 Catches 91 Yards
Victor Cruz Pun wrote:
Falcons set this game to Rookie and the Bucs are being controlled by Hellen Keller.
bucstopshere

PostPosted: Thu Jun 05, 2014 1:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DaRealdeal wrote:
bucstopshere wrote:
DaRealdeal wrote:
REDandPEWTER wrote:

Ugh, watching the Panthers pick him made it so much worse...

I'm not even knocking Sims as a player really. I like his short-area quickness for a bigger back and he's an elite receiver, but what is the value in that over the long-term when you already have a strong stable of backs?

You know what's going to happen right? Because we all hate this pick Sims turns into a bonafide stud that makes Martin expendable Laughing Laughing Laughing

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Tampa Bay Buccaneers All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: