Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

 FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Either/Or

 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> San Francisco 49ers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
Pandomonium


Joined: 16 Dec 2006
Posts: 2895
PostPosted: Fri May 30, 2014 11:15 am    Post subject: Either/Or Reply with quote

With all the offseason drama unfolding here in Ninerland, I can only see this season being two things:

a total implosion and disaster

or

the makings for a great hollywood script about overcoming adversity and winning it all.

Lets take score on all these distractions shall we?
1. Jim harbaugh's supposed trade to Cleveland
2. Kap and Q-Pat's issue in Miami
3. Cully's possible jail time and suspension
4. Aldon's possible jail time and suspesion
5. Bo's injury and wondering if the LB corps will be ok without him
6. Alex boone acting an jackhole and wanting more money skipping OTAs
7. Vern acting a Jackhole and wanting more money skipping OTAs

now although some of these are and may turn into much ado about nothing, They are STILL huge distractions that can take a team on the cusp of being SB champs into purgatory.

I'm feeling "a certain type of way" about this season.
_________________
Patrick Willis Toilet paper

It's Hard
It's rough
and it doesn take crap off anyone
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
757-NINER


Joined: 08 Jan 2013
Posts: 420
PostPosted: Fri May 30, 2014 12:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is honsetly the most excited I've been about ANY team since the Seifert days in the early 90's. I think from top to bottom, we have the most talented team in the entire league. The deepest team in the entire league. I think fans get caught up too much with the word "distraction". Those incidents you mentiond will mean absolutey nothing once the season starts because its all about what you do on the field on Sunday's, not what happen in Miami back on March 23rd or who skipped OTAs in May. Its SB or bust for this team this year IMO. We have the peices in place to make a serious run. And after this season, some key cogs may no longer around. This easily the best and most rounded roster JH and Baalke have assembled since the two have been at the helm. I believe this is our year...and mind you, I predicted we WOULD NOT win it all the past two years ,when critics and pundits alike were all jumping on the Niner bandwagon. But I absolutely love our chances this yeaar to bring home #6.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
big9erfan


Joined: 26 Feb 2007
Posts: 14010
PostPosted: Fri May 30, 2014 1:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

757-NINER wrote:
This is honsetly the most excited I've been about ANY team since the Seifert days in the early 90's. I think from top to bottom, we have the most talented team in the entire league. The deepest team in the entire league. I think fans get caught up too much with the word "distraction". Those incidents you mentiond will mean absolutey nothing once the season starts because its all about what you do on the field on Sunday's, not what happen in Miami back on March 23rd or who skipped OTAs in May. Its SB or bust for this team this year IMO. We have the peices in place to make a serious run. And after this season, some key cogs may no longer around. This easily the best and most rounded roster JH and Baalke have assembled since the two have been at the helm. I believe this is our year...and mind you, I predicted we WOULD NOT win it all the past two years ,when critics and pundits alike were all jumping on the Niner bandwagon. But I absolutely love our chances this yeaar to bring home #6.


We haven't made any significant changes in the coaching staff, which as far as I'm concerned is a bad thing not a good thing. We'll see though if they have finally taken in 3 straight years of playoff failure and are willing to change, or if they will stubbornly keep beating their heads against the proverbial wall.
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
rudyZ


Joined: 12 Mar 2007
Posts: 13264
Location: Québec
PostPosted: Fri May 30, 2014 2:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, with the Aldon rehab last year, I felt it was that exact "either/or" scenario, where on one hand, we had an excuse for the complete implosion, or on the other hand, the fuel for a rally that would have us winning it all. And we fell somewhere in between. So, I took it as a lesson not to believe in either/ors, because it's never really just one thing, or if it is, it will fall on the side of the implosion more often than not. Winning it all is just difficult no matter what happens. Last year, post-week 3-4, I felt we had a 10% chance of winning it all, and a 90% chance for a total implosion. In reality, it was more like 10-30, with a 60% chance of it falling in between, which is what happened. So no, I don't think this year is any different. With the usual offseason optimism, I'll go with 15-15-70.
_________________


RudyZ's Power Rankings Power Ranking

1) RudyZ's Power Rankings Power Ranking
2) y2's pie Power Rankings (3.1416 rules!)
3) N4L's Poster Power Rankings
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
RedWhiteNGold


Joined: 07 Feb 2007
Posts: 2890
PostPosted: Sat May 31, 2014 11:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If we start winning (which there is no reason we shouldn't), those issues all become minor and negligible.

If we go on a losing streak, it will be a different story.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
757-NINER


Joined: 08 Jan 2013
Posts: 420
PostPosted: Sun Jun 01, 2014 6:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nearly every team has to deal with some kind of off-field stuff every now and again. This time last year, the Hawks had to deal with all the criticism from the PEDs and subsequent suspensions. But good teams don't let outside criticism fester inside their locker room. And the Hawks didn't and went on to have a great year. So when I hear talk about distractions and off-the-filed issues putting undue stress on the team collective, its laughable. None of that matters when you step on the gridrion, ready to compete. As long as you do your job to the best of your ability and play not only for yourself but for the guy next to you, everything else will work itself out in the end.

Strong teams have that 'next man up' approach and worry less about whatever else thinks. Whether injuries, suspension, etc. So far, under Baalke and JH, this team has exhibited that approach so I don't know why anyone believes that all of a sudden, that mental toughness would fade overnightt. The fact that we've been one of the last 4 teams standing, 3 consecutive years is proof of that. Despite the injuries and losing All-Pro FAs and changing QBs, we still right there at the end. The last thing I question about this team is its mental toughness and its capacity to overcome adversity.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
rudyZ


Joined: 12 Mar 2007
Posts: 13264
Location: Québec
PostPosted: Sun Jun 01, 2014 6:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

757-NINER wrote:
Nearly every team has to deal with some kind of off-field stuff every now and again. This time last year, the Hawks had to deal with all the criticism from the PEDs and subsequent suspensions. But good teams don't let outside criticism fester inside their locker room. And the Hawks didn't and went on to have a great year. So when I hear talk about distractions and off-the-filed issues putting undue stress on the team collective, its laughable. None of that matters when you step on the gridrion, ready to compete. As long as you do your job to the best of your ability and play not only for yourself but for the guy next to you, everything else will work itself out in the end.



The Seahawks didn't let the off-field stuff distract them, but focus is one of the benefits of Adderall, after all. Wink
_________________


RudyZ's Power Rankings Power Ranking

1) RudyZ's Power Rankings Power Ranking
2) y2's pie Power Rankings (3.1416 rules!)
3) N4L's Poster Power Rankings
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
big9erfan


Joined: 26 Feb 2007
Posts: 14010
PostPosted: Sun Jun 01, 2014 9:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In case I wasn't clear in my earlier post, the "either/or" for me in this season is either we go all the way this year, or at least don't demonstrate that we can't pass when a big game is on the line, or we replace some of our coaches this offseason.
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Psychlone


Joined: 15 Mar 2008
Posts: 3762
Location: Marin County, CA.
PostPosted: Sun Jun 01, 2014 10:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

big9erfan wrote:
In case I wasn't clear in my earlier post, the "either/or" for me in this season is either we go all the way this year, or at least don't demonstrate that we can't pass when a big game is on the line, or we replace some of our coaches this offseason.
I'm thinking in either scenario, we will lose coaches. The difference being losing one or two to another franchise if we take it all or replacing one or two if we crap the bed yet again at the finish line...
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
big9erfan


Joined: 26 Feb 2007
Posts: 14010
PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2014 12:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Psychlone wrote:
big9erfan wrote:
In case I wasn't clear in my earlier post, the "either/or" for me in this season is either we go all the way this year, or at least don't demonstrate that we can't pass when a big game is on the line, or we replace some of our coaches this offseason.
I'm thinking in either scenario, we will lose coaches. The difference being losing one or two to another franchise if we take it all or replacing one or two if we crap the bed yet again at the finish line...


Hadn't thought about it that way, but I think you're right.
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> San Francisco 49ers All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum




Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group