Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Knee Braces

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Dallas Cowboys
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Superfluous

PostPosted: Fri May 30, 2014 10:30 am    Post subject: Knee Braces Reply with quote

Why don't more players wear them? Are they that cumbersome? Why aren't they at least required for practices? Why not for more limited mobility positions like quarterback? Tony isn't exactly running the read-option or anything.
htfryar

PostPosted: Fri May 30, 2014 10:45 am    Post subject: Re: Knee Braces Reply with quote

Superfluous wrote:
Why don't more players wear them? Are they that cumbersome? Why aren't they at least required for practices? Why not for more limited mobility positions like quarterback? Tony isn't exactly running the read-option or anything.

When I was a junior in highschool, we had the option of wearing them. Most of us didn't. Then, one day in practice a senior who played OG got his leg rolled up on from behind and tore his ACL. This was in 1991. The surgery/recovery was nowhere near as good as it is today. The next day, everyone on both the o-line and d-line was wearing braces.

I absolutely hated mine. They were cumbersome, had cheap Velcro straps that kept coming loose and really were hard to get used to. The knee braces of today are probably a lot better quality than the ones I wore in the '91 & '92 seasons though. I can say for sure that the knee brace I wore for a couple months after tearing my knee up sucked arse. I hated that damn thing.

Arkansas Razorback DE Trey Flowers 2014 Stat Tracker - 13 tackles, 2 TFL, 0 sacks, 1 Pass Break Up
buckwild

PostPosted: Fri May 30, 2014 12:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Knee Braces Reply with quote

htfryar wrote:
Superfluous wrote:

When I was a junior in highschool, we had the option of wearing them. Most of us didn't. Then, one day in practice a senior who played OG got his leg rolled up on from behind and tore his ACL. This was in 1991. The surgery/recovery was nowhere near as good as it is today. The next day, everyone on both the o-line and d-line was wearing braces.

I absolutely hated mine. They were cumbersome, had cheap Velcro straps that kept coming loose and really were hard to get used to. The knee braces of today are probably a lot better quality than the ones I wore in the '91 & '92 seasons though. I can say for sure that the knee brace I wore for a couple months after tearing my knee up sucked arse. I hated that damn thing.

No matter how high tech they are today. They still are cumbersome and uncomfortable to wear, and given the choice players will not want to wear them.

Thanks Mike23md for the Sig
flyingmonkey30

PostPosted: Fri May 30, 2014 7:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Knee Braces Reply with quote

htfryar wrote:
Superfluous wrote:

Dang, HT was a junior in high school before I was born Laughing

Check out my draft thread!
http://www.footballsfuture.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=490478t=447580&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0
buddy_z34

PostPosted: Sat May 31, 2014 11:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

They are just such a nuisance. I had to wear one after I had my injury. Just took me a good minute to get comfortable playing with one. I wore it at first to help with the psychological part an once I overcame that I took it off.

PostPosted: Sat May 31, 2014 3:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Knee Braces Reply with quote

flyingmonkey30 wrote:
htfryar wrote:
Superfluous wrote:

Young punk. Laughing

Arkansas Razorback DE Trey Flowers 2014 Stat Tracker - 13 tackles, 2 TFL, 0 sacks, 1 Pass Break Up
MaddHatter

PostPosted: Sat May 31, 2014 6:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The sleeve I wore/wear is very uncomfortable and cumbersome even today and it constantly is slipping down and bunching up behind my knee

Sig courtesy of mack.
Cowboys31

PostPosted: Sat May 31, 2014 9:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Parcells used to make the linemen use them, mandatory.

PostPosted: Sat May 31, 2014 10:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lineman I can see making it mandatory like Parcells did. LB'ers no way. Try putting one on and running with it. You loose so much fluidity with one on.

"Courage is being scared to death, but saddling up anyways" - John Wayne
buddy_z34

PostPosted: Sun Jun 01, 2014 12:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MaddHatter wrote:
The sleeve I wore/wear is very uncomfortable and cumbersome even today and it constantly is slipping down and bunching up behind my knee

Sleeves are jus as worse. Always having to slide it up.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 01, 2014 8:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Knee Braces Reply with quote

flyingmonkey30 wrote:
htfryar wrote:
Superfluous wrote:

Slow your roll. I graduated that year. Don't make us use our old man strength on you.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2014 5:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

interesting photo...

parker1035

PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2014 11:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Superfluous wrote:
interesting photo...

After Lee went down, I believe it was a requirement for the linemen to wear braces.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Dallas Cowboys All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: