Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

2014 Camp Discussion Thread
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 38, 39, 40 ... 96, 97, 98  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Green Bay Packers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
AlexGreen#20

PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2014 11:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

CentralFC wrote:
PacAttack04 wrote:
CentralFC wrote:
PACKRULE wrote:
DavidatMIZZOU wrote:
NormSizedMidget wrote:
Skypilot wrote:
incognito_man wrote:
persiandud wrote:
Can we call Nick Perry a bust yet? he sure as hell is on the hot seat

Hayward too.

bust.

Sherrod. Terrell Manning. Mcmillan. Jerel Worthy's on bust notice, too. If Capers would turn Perry loose and use him properly he'd be a big contributor.

Mc and Manning were like 4th and 5th rounders. Oh no huge busts. Fire Ted.

We got little to nothing from them, I'd say they were busts. Worthy and Sherrod have a lot to prove in not a lot of time. Perry just needs to stay healthy.

I don't undersand how Worthy and Sherrod can be different they Perry. Same issues for all 3 injuries. Sure perry flashed so did Sherrod in his rookie year. Played pretty dam well considering when he was thrown into the wolves in a couple games. And MM's pass happy offense.

When, exactly, did Sherrod "flash" in his rookie year? I'm genuinely curious. Is it when he failed miserably at guard during the preseason, or is it when he couldn't win the left tackle gig and was a backup swing lineman?

Perry has flashed consistently. He had two big-time strip-sacks last season before a fluke injury--which ironically occurred when he destroyed Eugene Monroe and planted Flacco on his [inappropriate/removed] causing a fumble and leading to a field goal in a game that we won by two points.

Yeah, he's been injured. That's absolutely not debatable. But the production has been there when he has played, and the production has been better than average playing in Matthews' absence on the weak side.

To be fair, expecting him to win a starting LT job by putting Chad Clifton on the bench is a pretty tough expectation for us to have of him his rookie year.

That's a fair point. Either way, he could have shown promise and simultaneously been a swing tackle. Even then, he failed at guard and he didn't show a ton of promise in small stints, whereas Bahktiari kicked some tail from day one, even when he lacked the physical gifts Sherrod had.

I very strongly disagree that Sherrod failed to show promise. He looked good in limited snaps. Especially against Atlanta, he shut it down at RT.
MNPackfan32

PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2014 11:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

AlexGreen#20 wrote:
CentralFC wrote:
PacAttack04 wrote:
CentralFC wrote:
PACKRULE wrote:
DavidatMIZZOU wrote:
NormSizedMidget wrote:
Skypilot wrote:
incognito_man wrote:
persiandud wrote:

Hayward too.

bust.

Sherrod. Terrell Manning. Mcmillan. Jerel Worthy's on bust notice, too. If Capers would turn Perry loose and use him properly he'd be a big contributor.

We got little to nothing from them, I'd say they were busts. Worthy and Sherrod have a lot to prove in not a lot of time. Perry just needs to stay healthy.

I don't undersand how Worthy and Sherrod can be different they Perry. Same issues for all 3 injuries. Sure perry flashed so did Sherrod in his rookie year. Played pretty dam well considering when he was thrown into the wolves in a couple games. And MM's pass happy offense.

When, exactly, did Sherrod "flash" in his rookie year? I'm genuinely curious. Is it when he failed miserably at guard during the preseason, or is it when he couldn't win the left tackle gig and was a backup swing lineman?

Perry has flashed consistently. He had two big-time strip-sacks last season before a fluke injury--which ironically occurred when he destroyed Eugene Monroe and planted Flacco on his [inappropriate/removed] causing a fumble and leading to a field goal in a game that we won by two points.

Yeah, he's been injured. That's absolutely not debatable. But the production has been there when he has played, and the production has been better than average playing in Matthews' absence on the weak side.

To be fair, expecting him to win a starting LT job by putting Chad Clifton on the bench is a pretty tough expectation for us to have of him his rookie year.

That's a fair point. Either way, he could have shown promise and simultaneously been a swing tackle. Even then, he failed at guard and he didn't show a ton of promise in small stints, whereas Bahktiari kicked some tail from day one, even when he lacked the physical gifts Sherrod had.

I very strongly disagree that Sherrod failed to show promise. He looked good in limited snaps. Especially against Atlanta, he shut it down at RT.
That, and I don't know why him playing guard is even being brought up. That was more or less a move to push TJ Lang. Sherrod isn't a guard. Never has been, never will be. Putting him at guard is just setting him up to fail. He doesn't have the mindset. He is a pure pass pro LT.

Duff Man wrote:
MNPackfan32 wrote:
Josh Sitton, Mike Daniels

Average at best
CentralFC

PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2014 2:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MNPackfan32 wrote:
AlexGreen#20 wrote:
CentralFC wrote:
PacAttack04 wrote:
CentralFC wrote:
PACKRULE wrote:
DavidatMIZZOU wrote:
NormSizedMidget wrote:
Skypilot wrote:
incognito_man wrote:
persiandud wrote:

Hayward too.

bust.

That, and I don't know why him playing guard is even being brought up. That was more or less a move to push TJ Lang. Sherrod isn't a guard. Never has been, never will be. Putting him at guard is just setting him up to fail. He doesn't have the mindset. He is a pure pass pro LT.

I realize he's a pure LT. I realize he would inevitably flop at guard. That's not the point. The point is that he didn't show promise, whether we expected him to or not, at the guard position. At tackle he certainly had a far worse training camp than Bahktiari did a year ago, physical gifts included. There was no way he was beating out an aging/injury-waiting-to-happen Chad Clifton, but even then, his training camp was poor as was his preseason.
AlexGreen#20

PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2014 2:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CentralFC wrote:
MNPackfan32 wrote:
AlexGreen#20 wrote:
CentralFC wrote:
PacAttack04 wrote:
CentralFC wrote:
PACKRULE wrote:
DavidatMIZZOU wrote:
NormSizedMidget wrote:
Skypilot wrote:
incognito_man wrote:
persiandud wrote:

Hayward too.

bust.

I realize he's a pure LT. I realize he would inevitably flop at guard. That's not the point. The point is that he didn't show promise, whether we expected him to or not, at the guard position. At tackle he certainly had a far worse training camp than Bahktiari did a year ago, physical gifts included. There was no way he was beating out an aging/injury-waiting-to-happen Chad Clifton, but even then, his training camp was poor as was his preseason.

By what merit are we judging his preseason?

Also down play clifton all you like, the dude was coming off a trip to Hawaii

Last edited by AlexGreen#20 on Wed Jul 16, 2014 2:52 pm; edited 1 time in total
CentralFC

PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2014 2:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

AlexGreen#20 wrote:
CentralFC wrote:
MNPackfan32 wrote:
AlexGreen#20 wrote:
CentralFC wrote:
PacAttack04 wrote:
CentralFC wrote:
PACKRULE wrote:
DavidatMIZZOU wrote:
NormSizedMidget wrote:
Skypilot wrote:
incognito_man wrote:
persiandud wrote:

Hayward too.

bust.

Didn't Clifton make the damn pro bowl in 2010?

Didn't Jeff Saturday make the dam pro bowl in 2012?
AlexGreen#20

PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2014 2:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CentralFC wrote:
AlexGreen#20 wrote:
CentralFC wrote:
MNPackfan32 wrote:
AlexGreen#20 wrote:
CentralFC wrote:
PacAttack04 wrote:
CentralFC wrote:
PACKRULE wrote:
DavidatMIZZOU wrote:
NormSizedMidget wrote:
Skypilot wrote:
incognito_man wrote:
persiandud wrote:

Hayward too.

bust.

Really? Clifton was a very good player in 2010. His pro bowl inclusion was debatable but IMO valid. Saturday's pro bowl admission was a disgrace.
CentralFC

PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2014 2:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

AlexGreen#20 wrote:
CentralFC wrote:
AlexGreen#20 wrote:
CentralFC wrote:
MNPackfan32 wrote:
AlexGreen#20 wrote:
CentralFC wrote:
PacAttack04 wrote:
CentralFC wrote:
PACKRULE wrote:
DavidatMIZZOU wrote:
NormSizedMidget wrote:
Skypilot wrote:
incognito_man wrote:
persiandud wrote:

Hayward too.

bust.

Really? Clifton was a very good player in 2010. His pro bowl inclusion was debatable but IMO valid. Saturday's pro bowl admission was a disgrace.

It's just embarrassing that someone of your football acumen would resort to Pro Bowls as a measuring stick of ability or performance.

Regardless of whether Clifton made the Pro Bowl, Sherrod had us all concerned during training camp and preseason. We knew what we had with Chad, but Sherrod didn't come out and perform the way we all hoped. There was a lot of hesitation on this forum and with other Packer-affiliated journalists. Yes, he was a rookie. Yes, I'm sure he would have adjusted and became the dancing bear we drafted him for. But that doesn't mean he showed promise, and that doesn't mean we were all confident in him.
CWood21

PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2014 5:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can we drop the quote trees?
Packerraymond

PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2014 5:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sherrod also bounced around from LG to RT to LT in TC and pre-season. The same thing that killed his development of guys like Allen Barbre and Daryn Colledge. He isn't going to be counted on for anything this year unless of injury so it's really not worth arguing about. He showed potential more than actual quality plays as a rookie before his injury I would say.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2014 6:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was just gonna ask if people know how to edit a quote so it's just the last thing said. It's quite simple, and it makes scrolling not seem like the endless staircase in Super Mario 64.
NormSizedMidget

PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2014 7:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I swear I read we were playing Sherrod exclusively at RT in minicamp or something. I hope I dreamed that or it's a lie.

To test the theory though I'll probably need 50+ grand at least for equipment
DavidatMIZZOU

PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2014 8:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

NormSizedMidget wrote:
CentralFC wrote:
NormSizedMidget wrote:

It's like bitching about buying a $1 lottery ticket and not winning.

This is about as accurate as one could be. Well done.

Smile Thanks.

I just think people tend to lack the adequate amount of 'perspective' when it comes to later picks. I don't know how many times i heard "we could have had Alfred Morris."

I hope you don't think that was what I meant.
I was just stating that neither player produced for us. I didn't mean anything else. If you would prefer: "didn't pan out," to: "bust," that is fine. I have no agenda I'm pushing, I tend to think the Packers have done pretty well drafting. McMillian and Manning were not among the successes.

mistakebytehlak wrote:

My god it must be so terrible to have three teams that consistently make the playoffs
MNPackfan32

PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2014 9:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also where did the mythical offseason for Sherrod come from? That was the lock out year. This is his first healthy offseason. How much is a raw rookie supposed to flash in the preseason?? He played well for his lack of offseason activities.

Duff Man wrote:
MNPackfan32 wrote:
Josh Sitton, Mike Daniels

Average at best
NormSizedMidget

PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2014 9:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DavidatMIZZOU wrote:
NormSizedMidget wrote:
CentralFC wrote:
NormSizedMidget wrote:

It's like bitching about buying a $1 lottery ticket and not winning.

This is about as accurate as one could be. Well done.

Smile Thanks.

I just think people tend to lack the adequate amount of 'perspective' when it comes to later picks. I don't know how many times i heard "we could have had Alfred Morris."

I hope you don't think that was what I meant.
I was just stating that neither player produced for us. I didn't mean anything else. If you would prefer: "didn't pan out," to: "bust," that is fine. I have no agenda I'm pushing, I tend to think the Packers have done pretty well drafting. McMillian and Manning were not among the successes.

Fair enough, it's just the word bust is generally...in my mind saying "well our scouting and GM failed on that one." But in the round they were pick, that's just kind of the nature of the game.

To test the theory though I'll probably need 50+ grand at least for equipment
DavidatMIZZOU

PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2014 11:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

NormSizedMidget wrote:

Fair enough, it's just the word bust is generally...in my mind saying "well our scouting and GM failed on that one." But in the round they were pick, that's just kind of the nature of the game.

I don't disagree with that thought. Every "bust," is a GM/front office failure to varying degrees. Sometimes it is just bad luck (Terrance Murphy), other times it is bad fit (can't think of a TT example here), other times it was a poor decision (Brian Brohm). I think evaluating a front office is also relative to their peers. I think the Thompson led Packers have been consistently ahead of the curve in this regard, so the "mistakes" haven't been as costly.

mistakebytehlak wrote:

My god it must be so terrible to have three teams that consistently make the playoffs

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Green Bay Packers All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 38, 39, 40 ... 96, 97, 98  Next
Page 39 of 98

Jump to: