Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Was Bruce Irvin a good SAM LB?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Seattle Seahawks
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Vino

PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2014 9:21 am    Post subject: Was Bruce Irvin a good SAM LB? Reply with quote

I was looking at your guys's depth chart and didn't realize Bruce Irvin was your starting SLB. How did that work out? That's kind of weird to me since the knock on him coming out of college was that he wasn't very good in coverage and was a pass rush expert.

PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2014 11:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

He played the SLB very well this season. He statistically didn't do a ton, but covered well, shadowed faster receivers, and added a pass rush element on the field. Seattle plays their SLB almost like a hybrid LEO to a degree.

I think Seattle played Irvin a little bit rogue'ish (if that's a word/phrase) this year. They quietly developed his LBer/pass pro skills and will mix that in this season with the LEO and SLB play, almost masking what he's doing.

Seattle is VERY transparent in their D. They don't blitz much, they don't man WRs much, and they don't show a lot of shifts on D. Instead with Irvin developing decent LBer coverage skills, it allows Seattle to play him at either LEO or LBer at will and develop schemes that adhere to that versatility. I expect Irvin to play quite a bit of LEO AND LBer this year and to Carroll's point when interviewed about Irvin/Smith, it allows Seattle more depth and versatility.

I would not be surprised to see a series on D (assuming 3 and out) where Irvin goes SLB, play off, LEO. You get the speed on coverage with a run D-Line on a likely running play to allow for coverage or quick reaction and then pure pass rush on a likely passing situation on 3rd down. Or whatever Seattle thinks is going to happen based on score deficit etc.

I expect a monster year out of Irvin but it's a VERY NON-TRADITIONAL role you'd have on most NFL teams. Most teams do not draft a 1st rounder to play multiple positions but I think it's exactly what Seattle will do.

And why not? Irvin played very well at OLB and developed great coverage skills and SOME run skills. Ultimately the run defense skills are still his weakness which is exactly why Seattle will utilize him like I described above.

HUGE asset for how Seattle runs their D (lots of subbing, rotations, and situational play based entirely on yardage/downs).
SoS

PostPosted: Sat May 31, 2014 9:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with pretty much everything NFL_Announcer said.

I'll add that the Seahawks are listing Bruce Irvin as purely a DE on their roster this season whereas his position entering last year was listed as SLB/DE. With that said, I expect him to be on the LOS with his hand in the dirt a lot more this season because the team knows that's where he is most valuable.
SHONUFF

PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2014 6:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

His surprising coverage ability allows us to stay in our base more, as with all of our linebackers. I also see him rushing the passer more, in the role that Avril played last season.
Sandman55

PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2014 9:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ken Norton said they'll continue using him at LB on 1st and 2nd downs, but with Clemons gone he'll be playing more DE on passing downs.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Seattle Seahawks All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: