Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Training Camp Thread - Vernon Davis Reports (pg 11)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 33, 34, 35, 36, 37, 38  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> San Francisco 49ers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
oldman9er

PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2014 10:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Forge wrote:
49ersfan wrote:
I just realized Kyle Orton is a FA....we better be bombarding his agent with phone calls.

Gabberts contract is guaranteed this year, he's not going anywhere. And I thought I had heard that Harbs wanted to go with only 2 qbs this year.

All kidding aside, I can't see the guaranteed money keeping him a 49er. What will likely keep him a 49er is that he has been getting acclimated to the scheme over all of this time, and they may feel it's too late to coach up a new acquisition. Or maybe they go with J.J. since he can at least run around and improvise when plays breakdown?

PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2014 11:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

oldman9er wrote:
Forge wrote:
49ersfan wrote:
I just realized Kyle Orton is a FA....we better be bombarding his agent with phone calls.

Gabberts contract is guaranteed this year, he's not going anywhere. And I thought I had heard that Harbs wanted to go with only 2 qbs this year.

All kidding aside, I can't see the guaranteed money keeping him a 49er. What will likely keep him a 49er is that he has been getting acclimated to the scheme over all of this time, and they may feel it's too late to coach up a new acquisition. Or maybe they go with J.J. since he can at least run around and improvise when plays breakdown?

I'm hoping and praying that you are right. Its not a ton of money (2 mill I think?) and truthfully its already a sunk cost, so they shouldn't be afraid to move off it.

Two in harmony surpasses one in perfection - P3
BrettFavre004

PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2014 12:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You guys nervous after the first two games, or do the guys who need to look good look okay and a couple camp bodies making it seem worse than it is?

http://www.footballsfuture.com/phpBB2/viewforum.php?f=17
J-ALL-DAY

PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2014 12:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So the foot injury Kaepernick was dealing with early last year was actually worse than previously reported. He was playing with a chipped foot bone, and raptured capsule.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2014 12:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BrettFavre004 wrote:
You guys nervous after the first two games, or do the guys who need to look good look okay and a couple camp bodies making it seem worse than it is?

The starters have hardly played and basically the entire starting DL has sat out the first two games along with Willis. I'm worried about our back up QBs as they have been terrible. If Kap was to ever go down, we wouldn't even be able to win a game with Gabbert.

This week the starters should play the entire half or close to it. I would be nervous if we get blasted next week against the Chargers.

FF Fanatic
PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2014 12:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BrettFavre004 wrote:

We've played the first two games without 10 and 9 of our 22 starters (respectively) active. Nobody on our starting D-Line has seen a preseason snap, and we have a guy who will be looking most likely at the practice squad as our starting NT. Most of the games have been played by guys not likely to be on the team, and we just played a team we'll see later this year, so we were extra vanilla in that game. In the most recent game, starters Frank Gore, Michael Crabtree, Vernon Davis, and Anquan Boldin combined for 20 total snaps (in actual games, they'll be over 200 combined), and the top backups have had short nights as well.

Our only real concerns at this point are starting RG with Boone out, backup QB, O-line depth (not terrible, but shaky to say the least at the moment), and secondary play, which should be helped out tremendously by the rest of our normal starting defense. I'd say we're still earmarked to be one of the top 3 or 4 most competitive teams in the NFL this year, because a lot of the guys that look good are going to be backups (like 5th and 6th stringers) and the guys that have looked shaky with the exception of Gabbert and an O-Lineman or two aren't going to be on the team.

So we have no real reason to be nervous.

Frank Gore Career Rushing List Tracker:

*Currently Ranked 28th All-Time
*Yards needed to pass #26, Ottis Anderson: 168
*Yards needed to enter Top 20: 862
big9erfan

PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2014 12:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As usual too much over-reaction to the few quaters of play Gabbert has been in for. He was much better this game than the first. At this point in the year with a new QB you just want to see improvement. And who knows what he could do if Vernon, Crabs and Boldin were out there with him. Heard Ted Robinson on the radio yesterday saying he has looked fantastic in practice so far. Plus, he's only got a few month's worth of coaching from our staff. If they see any talent there then they're going to want a chance to polish it.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2014 12:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

big9erfan wrote:
As usual too much over-reaction to the few quaters of play Gabbert has been in for. He was much better this game than the first. At this point in the year with a new QB you just want to see improvement. And who knows what he could do if Vernon, Crabs and Boldin were out there with him. Heard Ted Robinson on the radio yesterday saying he has looked fantastic in practice so far. Plus, he's only got a few month's worth of coaching from our staff. If they see any talent there then they're going to want a chance to polish it.

And at the same time he is playing against back ups.

That's the problem, he is the classic practice player but doesn't show up in the actual games. Not only that, but his practices have been very mediocre as of late. To no one's surprise, during the open practice to the fans, he was terrible.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2014 2:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

J-ALL-DAY wrote:
big9erfan wrote:

That's the problem, he is the classic practice player but doesn't show up in the actual games. Not only that, but his practices have been very mediocre as of late. To no one's surprise, during the open practice to the fans, he was terrible.

Yeah, that's the scary part. He's playing against guys that will probably never play a snap in the NFL during a regular season game. Yet, he plays well against our own defense in practice? Granted, maybe not against our starters every time, but still.....

Would he blow a big lead if we pulled Kaepernick out of a game in which we were winning by two or three touchdowns? Judging by his play.....I could see it happening. There's a reason the Jaguars have been terribad in recent years.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2014 3:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gabbert is not the first, nor will be be the last to perform well in practice but do the opposite in the actual games. However, seems like lately he's not even having good practices. Hard to tell with the beat writers not being able to attend them except the fan fare one.

Harbaugh was legitimately ticked and is ready to get rid of the trash per se. I just hope he lightens the load up in practice for some of the DL.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2014 4:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bold prediction: Gabbert will light it up the rest of preseason and no one will care come Week 1. And even then, Gabbert will play 12 snaps all year and attempt 2 passes, 1 of which he completes for 4 yards.

RudyZ's Power Rankings Power Ranking

1) RudyZ's Power Rankings Power Ranking
2) y2's pie Power Rankings (3.1416 rules!)
3) N4L's Poster Power Rankings
Ataal

PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2014 4:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

J-ALL-DAY wrote:
Gabbert is not the first, nor will be be the last to perform well in practice but do the opposite in the actual games. However, seems like lately he's not even having good practices. Hard to tell with the beat writers not being able to attend them except the fan fare one.

Harbaugh was legitimately ticked and is ready to get rid of the trash per se. I just hope he lightens the load up in practice for some of the DL.

I wonder if it's similar to what they did to us in high school. Every single sport I played had a "hell week" or "hell month." They run you ragged. One, to weed out those who just don't have the motivation to suffer through it. And, two, to condition you. Harbaugh likes to stick with his starters and rarely substitutes guys to give them any rests. Sounds like he wants anyone going into a game to be able to play the whole game if need be.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2014 5:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

J-ALL-DAY wrote:
big9erfan wrote:

It's not like I think he's going to turn into a great NFL QB, but I'm still thinking with a little more coaching and time in our system he can turn into a decent backup. I guess we'll see ... and keep our fingers crossed that Kap stays healthy.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2014 8:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

big9erfan wrote:

He's also Blaine Gabbert and there's a reason why the opinion on him is pretty low; this is not a rookie. This is a guy who does have NFL tape, and has never looked all that impressive or even capable of being an average back up quarterback in the NFL. What you're seeing is not an overreaction to his crappy play, I think it's more or less just people saying, "yeah, so those feelings on Gabbert as a player were pretty much spot on"

Forge

PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2014 8:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BrettFavre004 wrote:

Not nervous, though I think there are legitimate causes for concern regarding some things. But there's just too many of our guys not playing and an offense/defense that is being called way to vanilla to really get a feel on what we are going to be this year.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> San Francisco 49ers All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 33, 34, 35, 36, 37, 38  Next
Page 34 of 38

Jump to: