Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Former Niners QB Alex Smith wants more $ than Jay Cutler
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> San Francisco 49ers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jwalter_81

PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2014 2:47 pm    Post subject: Former Niners QB Alex Smith wants more $ than Jay Cutler Reply with quote

Reportedly wants upwards of $18 million, top tier QB money.
http://profootballzone.com/nfl/report-alex-smith-wants-money-jay-cutler/
J-ALL-DAY

PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2014 3:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not surprised at all, this is now the market value for a good starting QB.

FF Fanatic
PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2014 5:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

J-ALL-DAY wrote:
Not surprised at all, this is now the market value for a good starting QB.

Exactly - and it's also why I'd like to see us wrap up Kaepernick around this amount soon. The combination of watching guys like Alex (mid-range QBs) cashing in for 18 million and him getting to 'prove himself' with guys like Crabtree/Boldin/Johnson/Vernon and more at his disposal could create a nightmare contract scenario in 2015 and further. Best to lock him up 'on the cheap' while we can.

Edit: To be clear - when I say 'mid-range' QBs, I mean guys among the 10th-15th ranked QBs. I don't want nor intend to start a war.

Frank Gore Career Rushing List Tracker:

*Currently Ranked 26th All-Time
*Yards needed to pass #25, Eddie George: 51
*Yards needed to enter Top 20: 578
oldman9er

PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2014 6:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

FWIW, Smith's gorgeous wife was doing that twitter thing and laughing at all of this speculation out there. Thing is, no one outside of Smith and the KC brass know wtf he and the Chiefs are working out.

https://twitter.com/lizbsmith11

Quote:
Elizabeth Smith ‏@lizbsmith11 5h
@evansilva @RapSheet Although I find this comical.. You are clearly misinformed!! Your "source" is leading you astray😁

PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2014 6:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If that's really what he's asking for, the Chiefs should let him hit the market. No one would come close to offering him that, and he'd probably come back on something a bit more reasonable. That said... I never in a million years thought we'd get two 2nd round picks for him last year, so who knows what he could really fetch on an open market.

Why is this its own thread on the 49ers forum, though? Now that we've gotten and spent our compensation for Alex Smith, I really couldn't care less about him anymore.
J-ALL-DAY

PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2014 7:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

AMG1713 wrote:
If that's really what he's asking for, the Chiefs should let him hit the market. No one would come close to offering him that, and he'd probably come back on something a bit more reasonable. That said... I never in a million years thought we'd get two 2nd round picks for him last year, so who knows what he could really fetch on an open market.

Why is this its own thread on the 49ers forum, though? Now that we've gotten and spent our compensation for Alex Smith, I really couldn't care less about him anymore.

Because it IS relevant to what Kaepernick gets.

PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2014 8:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

AMG1713 wrote:

Umm, really? Let's see. He took one team to the Chamionship game and played well enough to win it if the PR didn't muff two punts. Then had them on pace to return again the following year until he got hurt. Then he went to the team with the worst record in the league and in his very first year there took them to the playoffs. What more do you want out of a QB?

PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2014 8:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

big9erfan wrote:
Umm, really? Let's see. He took one team to the Chamionship game and played well enough to win it if the PR didn't muff two punts. Then had them on pace to return again the following year until he got hurt. Then he went to the team with the worst record in the league and in his very first year there took them to the playoffs. What more do you want out of a QB?

I have no problem with Smith asking for what he is, but do you think another team would give him 18 million a year if he hits FA next season?

PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2014 9:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

big9erfan wrote:
AMG1713 wrote:

If he played well enough to win it, he would have won it. He played well enough to not lose the game, there's a big difference there. Let's not pretend he wasn't given a lot of opportunities to get into the end zone. Again.....Just to be clear, I'm not saying he lost us the game; Williams did that. However, to say that he played well enough to win is not true.

As far as what he's asking for. If it is indeed around $18 million, then that's the going rate for a starting QB. Alex Smith may not be a great starting QB, but he is a good one, and I think he's worth market value.

Also, I thought you always said that football is a team sport? Why are you now changing your tune, and saying that "he took them"

PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2014 10:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

he wont get it. i think his agent is just trying to scare the team a little, and max out what he can get. i dont think he leaves kc, but hes not getting 18

rap reported their cool with tagging him next year. but like oldman posted, its all speculation and its gossip going around by these nfln and espn guys

new sig... sorry alex
oldman9er

PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2014 10:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

49ers Finest wrote:
he wont get it. i think his agent is just trying to scare the team a little, and max out what he can get. i dont think he leaves kc, but hes not getting 18

rap reported their cool with tagging him next year. but like oldman posted, its all speculation and its gossip going around by these nfln and espn guys

I think Alex, his wife, and even KC reps are laughing their arses off at all of this drama-gossip.

PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2014 11:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

J-ALL-DAY wrote:
big9erfan wrote:

I have no problem with Smith asking for what he is, but do you think another team would give him 18 million a year if he hits FA next season?

If he were to hit FA next year I think a lot would depend on how he, and KC, do this year. They're one team that might have gotten worse instead of better this off-season. If he can get them back in the playoffs again with that surrounding cast he might be worth it. If they regress by a few games he might be headed back to a backup role - depending on how much of their success or failure people lay on the QB. Sure 18's high, but pretty good QBs get paid a whole lot of money these days.

PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2014 12:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

big9erfan wrote:
If he were to hit FA next year I think a lot would depend on how he, and KC, do this year. They're one team that might have gotten worse instead of better this off-season. If he can get them back in the playoffs again with that surrounding cast he might be worth it. If they regress by a few games he might be headed back to a backup role - depending on how much of their success or failure people lay on the QB. Sure 18's high, but pretty good QBs get paid a whole lot of money these days.

That's what you have to look at. If KC is not willing to pay him 18 million, will another team? If so, then he has some leverage. If not, then he is just wasting him time. Then Smith has to look at the situation he would be put in on another team. Does he really want to leave Reid and the crew? Now, no one knows if he is really asking for 18 million. End of the day, I expect them to get this settled and he should have a deal by training camp.

PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2014 4:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This all smells like agent leakage. Just to get people talking. GMs don't necessarily like media attention, it's just a way to put pressure.

RudyZ's Power Rankings Power Ranking

1) RudyZ's Power Rankings Power Ranking
2) y2's pie Power Rankings (3.1416 rules!)
3) N4L's Poster Power Rankings
Chrissooner49er

PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2014 8:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SoCalNiner wrote:
big9erfan wrote:
AMG1713 wrote:

If he played well enough to win it, he would have won it. He played well enough to not lose the game, there's a big difference there. Let's not pretend he wasn't given a lot of opportunities to get into the end zone. Again.....Just to be clear, I'm not saying he lost us the game; Williams did that. However, to say that he played well enough to win is not true.

As far as what he's asking for. If it is indeed around $18 million, then that's the going rate for a starting QB. Alex Smith may not be a great starting QB, but he is a good one, and I think he's worth market value.

Also, I thought you always said that football is a team sport? Why are you now changing your tune, and saying that "he took them"

Double standard there on the bold, SoCal. You want everything fair for Kaep, then do the same for Alex. No QB can be held responsible for the mistakes a punt returner makes. Yet that is what you imply. And the red zone concerns have not gone away since Alex left, have they? And yet Alex had much worse WRs than we currently have or had in the last year.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> San Francisco 49ers All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: