Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

 FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

OTA's!
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 25, 26, 27  Next
 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Oakland Raiders
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
LivingLegendWFC


Joined: 28 Oct 2009
Posts: 11081
PostPosted: Sat Jun 21, 2014 1:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ROFLcopter wrote:
raidr4life wrote:
Chali21 wrote:
McGloin did an admirable job last year and has some talent. However Carr raising to the second spot on the depth chart tells me a few things.

1. The team is impressed with his progression. When Pryor was on the team his second year, he stayed 3rd string until the last game of the season. Carr has shown a grasp of the playbook and enough of a throwing talent to merit the second spot.

2. The team is comfortable with Carr coming in if Schaub goes down. Or they think he'll remain healthy this season.

3. They want him to get as many reps as possible which is difficult if you're 3rd string.
Yeah I choose door #3, he needs the reps and if he can't handle it they will simply elevate McGloin again.

The doors aren't mutually exclusive. It could be all 3. Probably is tbh.


Exactly. I buy the idea of wanting Carr in the second slot for extra reps because its hard to get as the third guy on the depth chart, but I don't think they would do it for that reason alone if they weren't impressed by what Carr is showing early. Are we really suggesting that a coach on the hot west would bump up a guy on the depth chart simply for reps if he wasn't doing the things he needed to do to be deserving of those reps, like grasping the play book, working hard, making good decisions on the practice field etc? That idea us crazy to me and grasping at straws for people that want McGloin to be the guy because its a better story or whatever reason. I get it, everyone loves the underdog and McGloin has a real long term future here as a back up which is very important. However DA and the coaching staff would not put Carr at two for the reps ALONE if he wasn't looking at least more impressive then McGloin. The fact of the matter is Allen since day one has preached and followed through with the best players will play and everything will be earned. We all applauded that previously and now were going to suggest that its simply a repition thing with something as important as the QB position and a guy they have labled as a potential QB of the future? Not only that but imagine the story line if they are simply saying hey we can always just bump him back down to third string behind the undrafted guy, I can see the narrative now, Carr is under performing and being demoted to third string. Wilson volume 2. I just don't see it.
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
S&B Bleeder


Joined: 02 Mar 2008
Posts: 1558
Location: SoCal
PostPosted: Sat Jun 21, 2014 4:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So now we have a month of nothing until camp starts? Ugh!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Baggabonez


Joined: 29 Apr 2010
Posts: 6188
Location: RaiderNation
PostPosted: Sat Jun 21, 2014 4:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LivingLegendWFC wrote:
ROFLcopter wrote:
raidr4life wrote:
Chali21 wrote:
McGloin did an admirable job last year and has some talent. However Carr raising to the second spot on the depth chart tells me a few things.

1. The team is impressed with his progression. When Pryor was on the team his second year, he stayed 3rd string until the last game of the season. Carr has shown a grasp of the playbook and enough of a throwing talent to merit the second spot.

2. The team is comfortable with Carr coming in if Schaub goes down. Or they think he'll remain healthy this season.

3. They want him to get as many reps as possible which is difficult if you're 3rd string.
Yeah I choose door #3, he needs the reps and if he can't handle it they will simply elevate McGloin again.

The doors aren't mutually exclusive. It could be all 3. Probably is tbh.


Exactly. I buy the idea of wanting Carr in the second slot for extra reps because its hard to get as the third guy on the depth chart, but I don't think they would do it for that reason alone if they weren't impressed by what Carr is showing early. Are we really suggesting that a coach on the hot west would bump up a guy on the depth chart simply for reps if he wasn't doing the things he needed to do to be deserving of those reps, like grasping the play book, working hard, making good decisions on the practice field etc? That idea us crazy to me and grasping at straws for people that want McGloin to be the guy because its a better story or whatever reason. I get it, everyone loves the underdog and McGloin has a real long term future here as a back up which is very important. However DA and the coaching staff would not put Carr at two for the reps ALONE if he wasn't looking at least more impressive then McGloin. The fact of the matter is Allen since day one has preached and followed through with the best players will play and everything will be earned. We all applauded that previously and now were going to suggest that its simply a repition thing with something as important as the QB position and a guy they have labled as a potential QB of the future? Not only that but imagine the story line if they are simply saying hey we can always just bump him back down to third string behind the undrafted guy, I can see the narrative now, Carr is under performing and being demoted to third string. Wilson volume 2. I just don't see it.


#3. I agree with 4life. The rookie QB that was drafted with a high pick (especially one that the owner pounded the table for) will always be intriguing. If Schaub gets hurt or underperforms and McGloin comes in everyone including the fans & owner knows exactly what they are going to get. This isn't about RIGHT now. McGloin will be efficient but he probably won't win many more games. McGloin might be slightly better than Carr RIGHT now but by the end of season Carr could be significantly better or at least show flashes. Carr offers intrigue and having a captivated fanbase and owner will buy DA more time than a more efficient McGloin albeit boring and still losing but keeping the score close

Any excuse can be used at any time if DA wants to use McGloin over Carr or vice versa (ie: mysterious injury). The point is Carr needs the reps and the depth chart doesn't really mean anything. The QB position is a political position.McGloin is a walk-on and Carr is a blue chip recruit. It's far more complicated than best man wins.
_________________
Nodisrespect wrote:
(on building inside out) teams without highly draft DT's make the playoffs and win the superbowl regularly.

Bonez wrote:
Teams that win Superbowls and make the playoffs aren't picking in the Top 5, clearly
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
S&B Bleeder


Joined: 02 Mar 2008
Posts: 1558
Location: SoCal
PostPosted: Sat Jun 21, 2014 5:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was never a proponent of McG but also not a detractor. He can play but unlikely as a starter in this league. Though I don't want to pigeon hole him I believe his most effective role for us is coming off the bench due to injury late in a game. He's never shown a fear of going for it.
Will Carr interfere with that role. It seems to have gone in that direction.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
SPaceGhost


Joined: 01 Mar 2008
Posts: 2272
Location: Alabama
PostPosted: Sat Jun 21, 2014 9:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Baggabonez wrote:
LivingLegendWFC wrote:
ROFLcopter wrote:
raidr4life wrote:
Chali21 wrote:
McGloin did an admirable job last year and has some talent. However Carr raising to the second spot on the depth chart tells me a few things.

1. The team is impressed with his progression. When Pryor was on the team his second year, he stayed 3rd string until the last game of the season. Carr has shown a grasp of the playbook and enough of a throwing talent to merit the second spot.

2. The team is comfortable with Carr coming in if Schaub goes down. Or they think he'll remain healthy this season.

3. They want him to get as many reps as possible which is difficult if you're 3rd string.
Yeah I choose door #3, he needs the reps and if he can't handle it they will simply elevate McGloin again.

The doors aren't mutually exclusive. It could be all 3. Probably is tbh.


Exactly. I buy the idea of wanting Carr in the second slot for extra reps because its hard to get as the third guy on the depth chart, but I don't think they would do it for that reason alone if they weren't impressed by what Carr is showing early. Are we really suggesting that a coach on the hot west would bump up a guy on the depth chart simply for reps if he wasn't doing the things he needed to do to be deserving of those reps, like grasping the play book, working hard, making good decisions on the practice field etc? That idea us crazy to me and grasping at straws for people that want McGloin to be the guy because its a better story or whatever reason. I get it, everyone loves the underdog and McGloin has a real long term future here as a back up which is very important. However DA and the coaching staff would not put Carr at two for the reps ALONE if he wasn't looking at least more impressive then McGloin. The fact of the matter is Allen since day one has preached and followed through with the best players will play and everything will be earned. We all applauded that previously and now were going to suggest that its simply a repition thing with something as important as the QB position and a guy they have labled as a potential QB of the future? Not only that but imagine the story line if they are simply saying hey we can always just bump him back down to third string behind the undrafted guy, I can see the narrative now, Carr is under performing and being demoted to third string. Wilson volume 2. I just don't see it.


#3. I agree with 4life. The rookie QB that was drafted with a high pick (especially one that the owner pounded the table for) will always be intriguing. If Schaub gets hurt or underperforms and McGloin comes in everyone including the fans & owner knows exactly what they are going to get. This isn't about RIGHT now. McGloin will be efficient but he probably won't win many more games. McGloin might be slightly better than Carr RIGHT now but by the end of season Carr could be significantly better or at least show flashes. Carr offers intrigue and having a captivated fanbase and owner will buy DA more time than a more efficient McGloin albeit boring and still losing but keeping the score close

Any excuse can be used at any time if DA wants to use McGloin over Carr or vice versa (ie: mysterious injury). The point is Carr needs the reps and the depth chart doesn't really mean anything. The QB position is a political position.McGloin is a walk-on and Carr is a blue chip recruit. It's far more complicated than best man wins.


From what I've read Carr didn't 'beat' McGloin for the #2 spot, Carr has been put in the #2 spot to "speed up his progression" (read: it was handed to him)... so I agree with the bold print 100%. Schaub will be the starter, no doubt about it, but if he regresses and gets benched then DA has only himself to blame for his predicament... starting Carr who will be nowhere near ready, or McGloin who he sabotaged (yet again) by sticking in the #3 spot. *Now for the crazy idea: pawn off Schaub NOW. I'm sure I could find a couple teams that can use him and right away, unload him and his contract. Start McGloin, see what he's got for an entire year, with Carr as #2... if McGloin gets injured, or really stinks it up (highly doubtful) you have the perfect excuse for putting in Carr without looking like an idiot. (Could even trade Schaub for a player at another position we need to fortify.)

What I don't agree with is McGloin being efficient yet 'boring' and still losing games. Boring was watching TP run around like a chicken with his head cut off, usually to his right, making lousy throws or getting ploughed; exciting was watching a real QB in McGloin actually make throws from the pocket and put points on the board (when DA wasn't going Jekyll and Hyde on us and putting TP back in, then taking him out, then putting him in...).
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Baggabonez


Joined: 29 Apr 2010
Posts: 6188
Location: RaiderNation
PostPosted: Sat Jun 21, 2014 9:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

+1

I like boring btw. Some here think McGloin is boring is the satire that failed. I was trying to say McGloin would keep games close but probably still lose.
_________________
Nodisrespect wrote:
(on building inside out) teams without highly draft DT's make the playoffs and win the superbowl regularly.

Bonez wrote:
Teams that win Superbowls and make the playoffs aren't picking in the Top 5, clearly
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
RaidersAreOne


Joined: 28 Jun 2008
Posts: 9559
Location: Canada, but don't worry... i'm not one of those damn dirty french.
PostPosted: Sun Jun 22, 2014 4:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap2000000360802/article/raiders-have-rookie-khalil-macks-head-spinning

Quote:
Raiders have rookie Khalil Mack's 'head spinning'

When Khalil Mack was coming out of Buffalo, scouts viewed him as a versatile playmaker who could be a difference-maker in any defensive scheme.

In the Raiders' 4-3 defense, Mack is expected to primarily play strongside linebacker, but the skilled 6-foot-3, 248-pounder is likely to see time in multiple spots, including edge rusher in passing situations.

During offseason workouts, coach Dennis Allen and defensive coordinator Jason Tarver have been experimenting with Mack in different packages to see where he will excel. In the process, the coaching staff is throwing a lot of information at the rookie.

"We've got his head spinning right now," Allen said with a wry smile, per CSN Bay Area. "That's a good thing. We're going to try to throw as much at him as we can throughout the rest of this offseason and really even into the early part of training camp, and then at some point we'll settle down to the things that we can execute as a team and execute at a high level."

_________________

First jersey purchased: Jamarcus Russell.
Second jersey purchased: Rolando McClain.
Next purchases: Every Chiefs, Chargers and Broncos player.
JTagg7754 on the sig.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
MrOaktown_56


Joined: 14 Dec 2013
Posts: 1864
PostPosted: Sun Jun 22, 2014 6:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SPaceGhost wrote:
Baggabonez wrote:
LivingLegendWFC wrote:
ROFLcopter wrote:
raidr4life wrote:
Chali21 wrote:
McGloin did an admirable job last year and has some talent. However Carr raising to the second spot on the depth chart tells me a few things.

1. The team is impressed with his progression. When Pryor was on the team his second year, he stayed 3rd string until the last game of the season. Carr has shown a grasp of the playbook and enough of a throwing talent to merit the second spot.

2. The team is comfortable with Carr coming in if Schaub goes down. Or they think he'll remain healthy this season.

3. They want him to get as many reps as possible which is difficult if you're 3rd string.
Yeah I choose door #3, he needs the reps and if he can't handle it they will simply elevate McGloin again.

The doors aren't mutually exclusive. It could be all 3. Probably is tbh.


Exactly. I buy the idea of wanting Carr in the second slot for extra reps because its hard to get as the third guy on the depth chart, but I don't think they would do it for that reason alone if they weren't impressed by what Carr is showing early. Are we really suggesting that a coach on the hot west would bump up a guy on the depth chart simply for reps if he wasn't doing the things he needed to do to be deserving of those reps, like grasping the play book, working hard, making good decisions on the practice field etc? That idea us crazy to me and grasping at straws for people that want McGloin to be the guy because its a better story or whatever reason. I get it, everyone loves the underdog and McGloin has a real long term future here as a back up which is very important. However DA and the coaching staff would not put Carr at two for the reps ALONE if he wasn't looking at least more impressive then McGloin. The fact of the matter is Allen since day one has preached and followed through with the best players will play and everything will be earned. We all applauded that previously and now were going to suggest that its simply a repition thing with something as important as the QB position and a guy they have labled as a potential QB of the future? Not only that but imagine the story line if they are simply saying hey we can always just bump him back down to third string behind the undrafted guy, I can see the narrative now, Carr is under performing and being demoted to third string. Wilson volume 2. I just don't see it.


#3. I agree with 4life. The rookie QB that was drafted with a high pick (especially one that the owner pounded the table for) will always be intriguing. If Schaub gets hurt or underperforms and McGloin comes in everyone including the fans & owner knows exactly what they are going to get. This isn't about RIGHT now. McGloin will be efficient but he probably won't win many more games. McGloin might be slightly better than Carr RIGHT now but by the end of season Carr could be significantly better or at least show flashes. Carr offers intrigue and having a captivated fanbase and owner will buy DA more time than a more efficient McGloin albeit boring and still losing but keeping the score close

Any excuse can be used at any time if DA wants to use McGloin over Carr or vice versa (ie: mysterious injury). The point is Carr needs the reps and the depth chart doesn't really mean anything. The QB position is a political position.McGloin is a walk-on and Carr is a blue chip recruit. It's far more complicated than best man wins.


From what I've read Carr didn't 'beat' McGloin for the #2 spot, Carr has been put in the #2 spot to "speed up his progression" (read: it was handed to him)... so I agree with the bold print 100%. Schaub will be the starter, no doubt about it, but if he regresses and gets benched then DA has only himself to blame for his predicament... starting Carr who will be nowhere near ready, or McGloin who he sabotaged (yet again) by sticking in the #3 spot. *Now for the crazy idea: pawn off Schaub NOW. I'm sure I could find a couple teams that can use him and right away, unload him and his contract. Start McGloin, see what he's got for an entire year, with Carr as #2... if McGloin gets injured, or really stinks it up (highly doubtful) you have the perfect excuse for putting in Carr without looking like an idiot. (Could even trade Schaub for a player at another position we need to fortify.)

What I don't agree with is McGloin being efficient yet 'boring' and still losing games. Boring was watching TP run around like a chicken with his head cut off, usually to his right, making lousy throws or getting ploughed; exciting was watching a real QB in McGloin actually make throws from the pocket and put points on the board (when DA wasn't going Jekyll and Hyde on us and putting TP back in, then taking him out, then putting him in...).


TP was painful to watch but he was definitely exciting at times. McGloin made some really nice throws from the pocket but had some of the most idiotic decision making i've ever seen. Jump ball to jacoby ford against the cowboys. Total meltdown vs the chiefs with pick 6s everywhere. Neither was good, but matty m was anything but exciting. He is a good #3 qb and that's exactly what he'll continue to be in the nfl.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Chali21


Joined: 07 Feb 2007
Posts: 3281
Location: Cali
PostPosted: Sun Jun 22, 2014 9:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

RaidersAreOne wrote:
http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap2000000360802/article/raiders-have-rookie-khalil-macks-head-spinning

Quote:
Raiders have rookie Khalil Mack's 'head spinning'

When Khalil Mack was coming out of Buffalo, scouts viewed him as a versatile playmaker who could be a difference-maker in any defensive scheme.

In the Raiders' 4-3 defense, Mack is expected to primarily play strongside linebacker, but the skilled 6-foot-3, 248-pounder is likely to see time in multiple spots, including edge rusher in passing situations.

During offseason workouts, coach Dennis Allen and defensive coordinator Jason Tarver have been experimenting with Mack in different packages to see where he will excel. In the process, the coaching staff is throwing a lot of information at the rookie.

"We've got his head spinning right now," Allen said with a wry smile, per CSN Bay Area. "That's a good thing. We're going to try to throw as much at him as we can throughout the rest of this offseason and really even into the early part of training camp, and then at some point we'll settle down to the things that we can execute as a team and execute at a high level."


I love this. Mack can be the guy that dion Jordan wasn't last year.
_________________


On the Raider's Staff
Silver&Black88 wrote:
Its like they're too incompetent to know they're incompetent.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
raidr4life


Joined: 10 Jan 2010
Posts: 4431
Location: Fresno, California
PostPosted: Sun Jun 22, 2014 11:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MrOaktown_56 wrote:
SPaceGhost wrote:
Baggabonez wrote:
LivingLegendWFC wrote:
ROFLcopter wrote:
raidr4life wrote:
Chali21 wrote:
McGloin did an admirable job last year and has some talent. However Carr raising to the second spot on the depth chart tells me a few things.

1. The team is impressed with his progression. When Pryor was on the team his second year, he stayed 3rd string until the last game of the season. Carr has shown a grasp of the playbook and enough of a throwing talent to merit the second spot.

2. The team is comfortable with Carr coming in if Schaub goes down. Or they think he'll remain healthy this season.

3. They want him to get as many reps as possible which is difficult if you're 3rd string.
Yeah I choose door #3, he needs the reps and if he can't handle it they will simply elevate McGloin again.

The doors aren't mutually exclusive. It could be all 3. Probably is tbh.


Exactly. I buy the idea of wanting Carr in the second slot for extra reps because its hard to get as the third guy on the depth chart, but I don't think they would do it for that reason alone if they weren't impressed by what Carr is showing early. Are we really suggesting that a coach on the hot west would bump up a guy on the depth chart simply for reps if he wasn't doing the things he needed to do to be deserving of those reps, like grasping the play book, working hard, making good decisions on the practice field etc? That idea us crazy to me and grasping at straws for people that want McGloin to be the guy because its a better story or whatever reason. I get it, everyone loves the underdog and McGloin has a real long term future here as a back up which is very important. However DA and the coaching staff would not put Carr at two for the reps ALONE if he wasn't looking at least more impressive then McGloin. The fact of the matter is Allen since day one has preached and followed through with the best players will play and everything will be earned. We all applauded that previously and now were going to suggest that its simply a repition thing with something as important as the QB position and a guy they have labled as a potential QB of the future? Not only that but imagine the story line if they are simply saying hey we can always just bump him back down to third string behind the undrafted guy, I can see the narrative now, Carr is under performing and being demoted to third string. Wilson volume 2. I just don't see it.


#3. I agree with 4life. The rookie QB that was drafted with a high pick (especially one that the owner pounded the table for) will always be intriguing. If Schaub gets hurt or underperforms and McGloin comes in everyone including the fans & owner knows exactly what they are going to get. This isn't about RIGHT now. McGloin will be efficient but he probably won't win many more games. McGloin might be slightly better than Carr RIGHT now but by the end of season Carr could be significantly better or at least show flashes. Carr offers intrigue and having a captivated fanbase and owner will buy DA more time than a more efficient McGloin albeit boring and still losing but keeping the score close

Any excuse can be used at any time if DA wants to use McGloin over Carr or vice versa (ie: mysterious injury). The point is Carr needs the reps and the depth chart doesn't really mean anything. The QB position is a political position.McGloin is a walk-on and Carr is a blue chip recruit. It's far more complicated than best man wins.


From what I've read Carr didn't 'beat' McGloin for the #2 spot, Carr has been put in the #2 spot to "speed up his progression" (read: it was handed to him)... so I agree with the bold print 100%. Schaub will be the starter, no doubt about it, but if he regresses and gets benched then DA has only himself to blame for his predicament... starting Carr who will be nowhere near ready, or McGloin who he sabotaged (yet again) by sticking in the #3 spot. *Now for the crazy idea: pawn off Schaub NOW. I'm sure I could find a couple teams that can use him and right away, unload him and his contract. Start McGloin, see what he's got for an entire year, with Carr as #2... if McGloin gets injured, or really stinks it up (highly doubtful) you have the perfect excuse for putting in Carr without looking like an idiot. (Could even trade Schaub for a player at another position we need to fortify.)

What I don't agree with is McGloin being efficient yet 'boring' and still losing games. Boring was watching TP run around like a chicken with his head cut off, usually to his right, making lousy throws or getting ploughed; exciting was watching a real QB in McGloin actually make throws from the pocket and put points on the board (when DA wasn't going Jekyll and Hyde on us and putting TP back in, then taking him out, then putting him in...).


TP was painful to watch but he was definitely exciting at times. McGloin made some really nice throws from the pocket but had some of the most idiotic decision making i've ever seen. Jump ball to jacoby ford against the cowboys. Total meltdown vs the chiefs with pick 6s everywhere. Neither was good, but matty m was anything but exciting. He is a good #3 qb and that's exactly what he'll continue to be in the nfl.
Yeah an UDFA QB threw 4 int's against the best defense in the NFL , they also ruined TP's career and they would have done it to Carr too. So what's your point? Im sure they like McGloin more than just a #3 QB, we brought in a veteran this year to try to win games, but if Carr becomes the starter in the future who do you think will be backing him up? Why can't we develop two young QB's at the same time. Carr is the QB of the future McGloin is his backup of the future.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Silver&Black88


Joined: 24 Feb 2009
Posts: 34047
Location: Boston, MA
PostPosted: Sun Jun 22, 2014 12:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chali21 wrote:
RaidersAreOne wrote:
http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap2000000360802/article/raiders-have-rookie-khalil-macks-head-spinning

Quote:
Raiders have rookie Khalil Mack's 'head spinning'

When Khalil Mack was coming out of Buffalo, scouts viewed him as a versatile playmaker who could be a difference-maker in any defensive scheme.

In the Raiders' 4-3 defense, Mack is expected to primarily play strongside linebacker, but the skilled 6-foot-3, 248-pounder is likely to see time in multiple spots, including edge rusher in passing situations.

During offseason workouts, coach Dennis Allen and defensive coordinator Jason Tarver have been experimenting with Mack in different packages to see where he will excel. In the process, the coaching staff is throwing a lot of information at the rookie.

"We've got his head spinning right now," Allen said with a wry smile, per CSN Bay Area. "That's a good thing. We're going to try to throw as much at him as we can throughout the rest of this offseason and really even into the early part of training camp, and then at some point we'll settle down to the things that we can execute as a team and execute at a high level."


I love this. Mack can be the guy that dion Jordan wasn't last year.


Ughhh that still bothers me. They're using him all wrong. Lanky, fast, LB/DE hybrid who's used to standing up and covering and rushing the passer? Let's stick him at 4-3 LE and bury him behind another player whose playing well. Brick wall Brick wall Brick wall

But yes, I'm really excited about Mack. The more I think about it, the happier I am to have him on our team.
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
LivingLegendWFC


Joined: 28 Oct 2009
Posts: 11081
PostPosted: Sun Jun 22, 2014 1:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RaidersAreOne wrote:
http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap2000000360802/article/raiders-have-rookie-khalil-macks-head-spinning

Quote:
Raiders have rookie Khalil Mack's 'head spinning'

When Khalil Mack was coming out of Buffalo, scouts viewed him as a versatile playmaker who could be a difference-maker in any defensive scheme.

In the Raiders' 4-3 defense, Mack is expected to primarily play strongside linebacker, but the skilled 6-foot-3, 248-pounder is likely to see time in multiple spots, including edge rusher in passing situations.

During offseason workouts, coach Dennis Allen and defensive coordinator Jason Tarver have been experimenting with Mack in different packages to see where he will excel. In the process, the coaching staff is throwing a lot of information at the rookie.

"We've got his head spinning right now," Allen said with a wry smile, per CSN Bay Area. "That's a good thing. We're going to try to throw as much at him as we can throughout the rest of this offseason and really even into the early part of training camp, and then at some point we'll settle down to the things that we can execute as a team and execute at a high level."


Dude is going to be an animal. With just his presence alone we can throw so many different looks at teams. Mack seems like a very sharp football player. It doesn't seem like anything is too much for him. When he gets his footing under him watch out. Plus I think its a tremendous advantage for his development to have seasoned proven vets like Tuck and Woodley to learn from. Love that the staff is throwing a lot at him. Lets see just how much this kid can bring to the table.

Its entirely possible that we look back in 5 years and pin point his selection at number 5 that turned this defense into something special. Obviously its still early and he cant do it alone but I have a ton of faith that he will exceed expectations and become the cornerstone of the defense assuming we can continue to add talent.
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
S&B Bleeder


Joined: 02 Mar 2008
Posts: 1558
Location: SoCal
PostPosted: Sun Jun 22, 2014 3:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
*Now for the crazy idea: pawn off Schaub NOW. I'm sure I could find a couple teams that can use him and right away, unload him and his contract. Start McGloin, see what he's got for an entire year, with Carr as #2... if McGloin gets injured, or really stinks it up (highly doubtful) you have the perfect excuse for putting in Carr without looking like an idiot. (Could even trade Schaub for a player at another position we need to fortify.)

Space Ghost: You're kidding? Tell me you were drinking or something when you wrote this? You obviously like McG but he ain't the man.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Baggabonez


Joined: 29 Apr 2010
Posts: 6188
Location: RaiderNation
PostPosted: Sun Jun 22, 2014 3:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chali21 wrote:
RaidersAreOne wrote:
http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap2000000360802/article/raiders-have-rookie-khalil-macks-head-spinning

Quote:
Raiders have rookie Khalil Mack's 'head spinning'

When Khalil Mack was coming out of Buffalo, scouts viewed him as a versatile playmaker who could be a difference-maker in any defensive scheme.

In the Raiders' 4-3 defense, Mack is expected to primarily play strongside linebacker, but the skilled 6-foot-3, 248-pounder is likely to see time in multiple spots, including edge rusher in passing situations.

During offseason workouts, coach Dennis Allen and defensive coordinator Jason Tarver have been experimenting with Mack in different packages to see where he will excel. In the process, the coaching staff is throwing a lot of information at the rookie.

"We've got his head spinning right now," Allen said with a wry smile, per CSN Bay Area. "That's a good thing. We're going to try to throw as much at him as we can throughout the rest of this offseason and really even into the early part of training camp, and then at some point we'll settle down to the things that we can execute as a team and execute at a high level."


I love this. Mack can be the guy that dion Jordan wasn't last year.

Please. . . don't mention mack and Jordan in the same breath. People are fascinated by Oregon players who are puffed up by Nike and elaborate uniform color schemes. Jordan is a classic tweener imo. One of the numerous things I love about Mack is that he an unusually large man who came into his body late a la David Robinson or Anthony Davis. Typical of this kind of late bloomer, Mack has the skill set of a smaller man but is now very large for his position.
Mack could carry more weight easily but I've seen Mack look very agile in coverage with very good ball skills. I can't wait to see how they use him. I envision that he will play a role very similar to Von but more stout in the run game.
_________________
Nodisrespect wrote:
(on building inside out) teams without highly draft DT's make the playoffs and win the superbowl regularly.

Bonez wrote:
Teams that win Superbowls and make the playoffs aren't picking in the Top 5, clearly
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Baggabonez


Joined: 29 Apr 2010
Posts: 6188
Location: RaiderNation
PostPosted: Sun Jun 22, 2014 3:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

raidr4life wrote:
Yeah an UDFA QB threw 4 int's against the best defense in the NFL , they also ruined TP's career and they would have done it to Carr too. So what's your point? Im sure they like McGloin more than just a #3 QB, we brought in a veteran this year to try to win games, but if Carr becomes the starter in the future who do you think will be backing him up? Why can't we develop two young QB's at the same time. Carr is the QB of the future McGloin is his backup of the future.


+1 to the bold.

Carr is the man and McGloin will be the Raiders Billy Volek or Tuiasosopo. Schaub will not be here a year from now.
_________________
Nodisrespect wrote:
(on building inside out) teams without highly draft DT's make the playoffs and win the superbowl regularly.

Bonez wrote:
Teams that win Superbowls and make the playoffs aren't picking in the Top 5, clearly
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Oakland Raiders All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 25, 26, 27  Next
Page 26 of 27

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum




Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group