Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Ravens RB Ray Rice is facing a multi-game suspension by NFL
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Baltimore Ravens
View previous topic :: View next topic  
coordinator0

PostPosted: Fri May 23, 2014 8:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jpeter15 wrote:
DontTazeMeBro wrote:
I wouldn't be surprised if wins an appeal. He's a first time offender and a suspension wouldn't be consistent. I can't see the NFLPA just letting Roger do whatever he wants based on his own personal morals.

@jpeter15.... we should cut him now?! Seriously?

Yeah, basically because I don't worry about how it affects our cap. RB can be replaced easily and cheap first of all and second of all, 2 years from now he is gone anyway, let's think longterm.

It doesn't matter that a running back can be added cheaply. The Ravens currently have $5,488,470 in cap space but that's not counting the contracts C.J. Mosley and Terrance Brooks will eventually sign. Cutting Rice right now would cause them to take an immediate $5,500,000 cap hit. This isn't even remotely a possible scenario unless Rice's contract somehow gets voided or re-worked, neither of which are at all likely.
bmorecareful

PostPosted: Sat May 24, 2014 9:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just hate the double standard... She gets drunk and punches him and he doesn't take the high road so he gets arrested and is being treated like he is ike turner... my mom and my aunts always told me if she man enough to hit u she should be Man enough for the consequence... its like solange in the elevator with Jay z.... she didn't even get arrested or charged but let it have been Jay z doing the assaulting he would be going through the ringer... I'm not promoting domestic violence but having a double standard legally is contradictory to the equal rights women Claim they want... its like they only want equal rights if its to their benefit... and as a man in society I think that's total horse crap... but whatever...
SnA ExclusiVe

PostPosted: Sat May 24, 2014 9:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

bmorecareful wrote:
I just hate the double standard... She gets drunk and punches him and he doesn't take the high road so he gets arrested and is being treated like he is ike turner... my mom and my aunts always told me if she man enough to hit u she should be Man enough for the consequence... its like solange in the elevator with Jay z.... she didn't even get arrested or charged but let it have been Jay z doing the assaulting he would be going through the ringer... I'm not promoting domestic violence but having a double standard legally is contradictory to the equal rights women Claim they want... its like they only want equal rights if its to their benefit... and as a man in society I think that's total horse crap... but whatever...

I completely agree with you. Women want equal rights only to the point to where it benefits them.

But that's neither here nor there. They're both in the wrong in this situation and it's just a gong show all around.
Mancunian Raven

PostPosted: Sat May 24, 2014 12:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bmorecareful wrote:

There is a double standard, but it sure as hell isn't without merit. Men, generally, are bigger and stronger than women, capable of doing more damage through physical violence. That's not always the case, but the majority of the time, it is.

And when the man is a professional athlete with considerable physical strength and the training to apply it, then hitting a woman is that much worse. Rice, and any athlete type should be held to a higher standard, because they have trained their bodies to be more capable of violence. Only one of the people in that elevator ended up lying on the floor, unconscious.

Sadly, the worst part of the double standard is that if the footage had come out showing his fiancee hitting him and Rice just standing there and taking it, he'd have been mocked by macho idiots for not being a 'real man' or somesuch nonsense. As though hitting her was the right thing to do, in the circumstances.

PostPosted: Sat May 24, 2014 1:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mancunian Raven wrote:
bmorecareful wrote:

There is a double standard, but it sure as hell isn't without merit. Men, generally, are bigger and stronger than women, capable of doing more damage through physical violence. That's not always the case, but the majority of the time, it is.

And when the man is a professional athlete with considerable physical strength and the training to apply it, then hitting a woman is that much worse. Rice, and any athlete type should be held to a higher standard, because they have trained their bodies to be more capable of violence. Only one of the people in that elevator ended up lying on the floor, unconscious.

Sadly, the worst part of the double standard is that if the footage had come out showing his fiancee hitting him and Rice just standing there and taking it, he'd have been mocked by macho idiots for not being a 'real man' or somesuch nonsense. As though hitting her was the right thing to do, in the circumstances.

The last paragraph is so true. There's really no way of "winning" if your girl starts swinging at you unless you can somehow restrain her without causing physical harm AND ALSO calming her down so she stops swinging at you.
bmorecareful

PostPosted: Sat May 24, 2014 1:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SnA ExclusiVe wrote:
Mancunian Raven wrote:
bmorecareful wrote:

The last paragraph is so true. There's really no way of "winning" if your girl starts swinging at you unless you can somehow restrain her without causing physical harm AND ALSO calming her down so she stops swinging at you.

I definitely agree with u... I just think circumstances should be taken into account because everyone thinks they kno what they would do in these types of situations but at the end of the day all u can really do is Hope u r never put in position to have to show restraint and if u are pray to God u do...
gooselovechild

PostPosted: Sat May 24, 2014 2:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mancunian Raven wrote:

I think the bolded portion is the great unknown. We don't know that Rice did hit her, but we don't know that he didn't either. One would think that if there is incriminating video of an assault that he wouldn't have been admitted into a diversion program, first time offender or not. I don't want to get political, but it's an election year, and that wouldn't fly too well with the voters. The DA's actions seem to indicate that this whole thing isn't as black and white as it has been portrayed in the media.

But if he did hit her, whether she struck first or not, he's going to be suspended, probably 4-6 games, and rightfully so. And if his production mirrors last year's when he returns, he's done in Baltimore.

As to the notion that his talents can't be replaced, I question that. If late round draft picks and UDFA RBs like Arian Foster, Alfred Morris, Darren Sproles, and Andre Ellington can be workhorse backs or have dynamic playmaking skills, we can find someone to replace Rice on the field. It might have to wait until next offseason, but splash RBs aren't as difficult to find as you migt think, and we can get by with Pierce/Taliaferro/Forsett for a year if we had to.

The real roadblock is the salary cap hit we would take for cutting him now, although that could be mitigated by wating until June 1 if we were so inclined. There's also the spectre that if he was released over this incident, the NFLPA would file a grievance on his behalf, since the CBA doesn't allow teams to discipline players for off field transgressions, but I doubt that would factor into the decision making process much.
sp6488

PostPosted: Sat May 24, 2014 4:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Honest question, how is this so different from Greg hardys situation?

PostPosted: Sat May 24, 2014 9:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sp6488 wrote:

TMZ video.

PSA: If your 2015 mock has the Ravens taking a RB in round 1, you're doing it wrong.
DontTazeMeBro

PostPosted: Sun May 25, 2014 1:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Let's pretend she shouldn't have apologized. WTF is everyone mad at us for? She's the one who apologized. How is it our fault she feels guilty?

PostPosted: Sun May 25, 2014 2:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DontTazeMeBro wrote:
Let's pretend she shouldn't have apologized. WTF is everyone mad at us for? She's the one who apologized. How is it our fault she feels guilty?

I think it has more to do with the Ravens kind of ignoring the domestic abuse part and just trying to clear Ray Rice's name than anything, but who the hell knows.
Flaccomania

PostPosted: Sun May 25, 2014 7:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SnA ExclusiVe wrote:
DontTazeMeBro wrote:

I think it has more to do with the Ravens kind of ignoring the domestic abuse part and just trying to clear Ray Rice's name than anything, but who the hell knows.

And I don't see how the Ravens are doing that in the slightest.

PSA: If your 2015 mock has the Ravens taking a RB in round 1, you're doing it wrong.
SnA ExclusiVe

PostPosted: Mon May 26, 2014 12:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Flaccomania wrote:
SnA ExclusiVe wrote:
DontTazeMeBro wrote:

And I don't see how the Ravens are doing that in the slightest.

They just never really even bothered to mention any of it. Just completely neglected how serious of an issue it is and were only concerned with making Ray Rice's image better, which I mean I don't blame them at all for doing the latter, but at least recognize the former.
dante9876

PostPosted: Mon May 26, 2014 9:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Flaccomania wrote:
sp6488 wrote:

TMZ video.

Well how about hardy was in his home. Or hardy and witness claims he never hit her. How about hardy called the police not her or a hotel. But i guess it's the same.
Thomas5737

PostPosted: Mon May 26, 2014 12:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bmorecareful wrote:

Yeah I agree. It shouldn't just stop at women either. I was in Walmart and a 6 year old that I never met came over and punched me. If he was man enough to hit me he should be man enough to pay the consequences. It turned ugly, after about 10 minutes the police came and broke it up. Even though he got the better of me I was the one they arrested. Total B.S.

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Baltimore Ravens All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: