Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Post Draft Strengths and Weaknesses.
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Tampa Bay Buccaneers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
nathan004

PostPosted: Wed May 14, 2014 1:34 am    Post subject: Post Draft Strengths and Weaknesses. Reply with quote

Strengths

3. Running Back

With 3 backs returning healthy, all of whom had 100+ rushing games last year, Tampas run game should see a nice resurgence this year. Add to the mix a rookie with big play potential and lightning fast Demps and that's what you call an embarrassment of riches.

2. Defensive Front 7

Two first team All Pros not even at the peak of their careers is such a fantastic thing to see on paper. Unfortunately, after that I still believe are some question marks. Foster is good, not great. Clayborn and Bowers should be great but have yet to perform to full expectations. Johnson and McDonald are solid additions but it remains to be seen how they will pan out. If Lovie gets this group to play to its potential it would rival some of the league elite.

1. Secondary

After a historically bad campaign in 2012 the Buc secondary needed to be addressed. Big time. Since then, Tampa has brought in some talent (2 All Pros, 2 1st rd picks, 1 2nd rd pick) that helped turn the worst passing defense in football to 17th. New look defensive line and Tampa getting back to Buc ball could make this a top 10 unit.

Best Players
1) Gerald McCoy
2) Lavonte David
3) Vincent Jackson

Best Additions
1) Alterraun Verner
2) Coaching/Front office (Lovie, Licht, Frazier, Nickerson)
3) Mike Evans

2014-2015 Projected Awards

Pro Bowlers
L, David
G, McCoy
A, Verner

Mike Evans ROY finalist
Gerald McCoy Def MVP finalist

Weaknesses

3. Return Game

The curse started again almost immediately after it was broken. Tampa Bay hasn't had a KR/PR for a TD since 2010. That's a real problem. Field position is a real advantage to have and Tampa rarely gets it. Plenty of options already on the roster which should help bring out the competition.

2. Quarterback

McCown showed great poise and precision for a 35 year old journey QB. Glennon out played every QB in his draft class but he also had plenty of rookie struggles. All that being said, neither one of these guys give Tampa fans 100% confidence in the position. We are more than likely to see both players at the helm at some point this season. If we don't get results then you can bet Licht will be scouting Mariota hard in November.

1. Offensive Line

I love the new additions made so far so this could easily become a quick turn around like the secondary. Until we show that EDS and Collins were the right choice and that 9 toed Nicks can play at all, this unit will probably rear it's ugly head against the leagues best. Maybe even the average too. Right guard is easily the weakest spot on the roster. Dotson might be the best lineman on this team right now.

Top needs
1) OG
2) QB
3) OLB

2015 Projected cuts

1) D, Bowers DE
2) T, Wright TE (EDIT) - Wright Stays. Crabtree and Stocker cut.
3) M, Jenkins CB
4) B, Rainey RB

2015 Projected Record

9-7

Notable wins
Week 1 vs Car
Week 12 @ Chi
Week 13 vs Cin
Week 17 vs NO

Last edited by nathan004 on Thu May 15, 2014 12:34 pm; edited 1 time in total
Caaddy24

PostPosted: Wed May 14, 2014 1:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd be shocked if Tim Wright is cut I just don't see it happening...

And how fast people forget how good Doug Martin is
nathan004

PostPosted: Wed May 14, 2014 1:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Caaddy24 wrote:
I'd be shocked if Tim Wright is cut I just don't see it happening...

And how fast people forget how good Doug Martin is

I think Myers wins #2 TE. Wright could hang on with the practice squad.

I'm the biggest Doug Martin fan but I don't put him in the top 3. Vincent gets the nod due to consistency and career production.

PostPosted: Wed May 14, 2014 8:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In college Tedford ran a two TE set most of the time so I think we are going to keep wright.

Adopt a Buc: Vincent Jackson 13 Catches 134 Yards 2 TDs
Victor Cruz Pun wrote:
Falcons set this game to Rookie and the Bucs are being controlled by Hellen Keller.
nathan004

PostPosted: Wed May 14, 2014 11:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wright will be in rotation plenty this year but I'm projecting him to be a cut after season is over. Could easily be wrong as he has upside and could come cheap.

PostPosted: Wed May 14, 2014 1:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nathan004 wrote:
Wright will be in rotation plenty this year but I'm projecting him to be a cut after season is over. Could easily be wrong as he has upside and could come cheap.

He would be coveted to fast if we put him on the PS or cut him. He has bulked up this offseason and i really think we keep 3 TEs so i doubt we cut him

Adopt a Buc: Vincent Jackson 13 Catches 134 Yards 2 TDs
Victor Cruz Pun wrote:
Falcons set this game to Rookie and the Bucs are being controlled by Hellen Keller.
bucstopshere

PostPosted: Wed May 14, 2014 2:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Find it strange you said return game, but until it shows improvement I understand. We have a laundry list of guys though that should make it better in Demps (finally committed to football), Herron, Patton, Hawkins, Murphy, Moore...in addition to the returning crew. Besides, Lovie puts a big focus on special teams, something I don't think Schaino did personally

PostPosted: Wed May 14, 2014 2:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The way the rules are set up the kick off return game is going to be non existent.
nathan004

PostPosted: Wed May 14, 2014 10:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

REDandPEWTER wrote:
The way the rules are set up the kick off return game is going to be non existent.

True. It's not quite the factor it used to be, but until they make a change to punt returns the field advantage game will remain a factor in winning ball games. To be honest I only put this as the 3rd weakest spot because anything not listed is too middle of the road as far as S or W.

WR/TE core has a lot of new faces and very high expectations but until I see them on the field I won't speculate.

Special Teams play has always been good to better than average, except for the return game. It took 30 something years for this team to return a kick for a TD. We are notoriously known for it and it's getting very tiresome.

PostPosted: Wed May 14, 2014 10:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bucstopshere wrote:
Find it strange you said return game, but until it shows improvement I understand. We have a laundry list of guys though that should make it better in Demps (finally committed to football), Herron, Patton, Hawkins, Murphy, Moore...in addition to the returning crew. Besides, Lovie puts a big focus on special teams, something I don't think Schaino did personally

I did mention that we had some options to choose from. I can see Demps and Sims taking over the KR duties and hopefully Demps proves to be competent with fielding punts properly and ball carrying.

PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2014 1:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

nathan004 wrote:
bucstopshere wrote:

I did mention that we had some options to choose from. I can see Demps and Sims taking over the KR duties and hopefully Demps proves to be competent with fielding punts properly and ball carrying.

Ya I think it's more about coaching and scheming, though a good returner is definitely a boost

PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2014 9:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It would be kinda nice to actually have a threat of advancing a punt rather than just fair catches every time.

PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2014 10:35 am    Post subject: Re: Post Draft Strengths and Weaknesses. Reply with quote

nathan004 wrote:
2015 Projected cuts

2) T, Wright TE
NO

I know I am late to the party here but why the heck would we cut Wright?

Michael Johnson 11 tackles | 2 sacks | 1 ff
tml_gogo

PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2014 11:12 am    Post subject: Re: Post Draft Strengths and Weaknesses. Reply with quote

deuces22wild wrote:
nathan004 wrote:
2015 Projected cuts

2) T, Wright TE
NO

I know I am late to the party here but why the heck would we cut Wright?

Yeah I don't see that either. At worst I would like to keep him as a wideout/tight end/H-back hybrid. He has pass catching skills in the middle of the field and is huge for a wideout. He could be a great hybrid option if ASJ takes over full time tight end duties.

PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2014 12:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I guess the Wright cut isn't a popular one. It was made of the assumption that ASJ and Myers win 1 & 2 with Wright possibly looking for a long term contract that Tampa won't want to pay.

That being said, I just noticed that Crabtree and Stocker are both FA's in 2015. Based on this I say that Wright stays and both Stocker and Crabtree get told to kick rocks.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Tampa Bay Buccaneers All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: