Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Watching the 2014 Draft QB's, who's going to succeed?
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 31, 32, 33  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Minnesota Vikings
View previous topic :: View next topic  
vike daddy

Most Valuable Poster (2nd Ballot)

PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2014 10:54 pm    Post subject: Watching the 2014 Draft QB's, who's going to succeed? Reply with quote

seeing QB was a need position for us in this draft and one we spent weeks and months discussing our favorites, let's look at who drafted who and give our guesses as to their potential success.

who's going to do well where?

1.3 Blake Bortles, Jaguars
1.22 Johnny Manziel, Browns
1.32 Teddy Bridgewater, Vikings

2.4 Derek Carr, Raiders
2.30 Jimmy Garoppolo, Patriots

4.20 Logan Thomas, Cardinals
4.35 Tom Savage, Texans

5.23 Aaron Murray, Chiefs
5.24 AJ McCarron, Bengals

6.2 Zach Mettenberger, Titans
6.7 David Fales, Bears
6.18 Keith Wenning, Ravens
6.37 Tajh Boyd, Jets
6.38 Garrett Gilbert, Rams

Webmaster wrote:
Can we knock off all the nonsense and stick to football?
xmichaelp

PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2014 11:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll only go for ones I'm really familiar with or else it would just be a bunch of random guesses.

1.3 Blake Bortles, Jaguars - Average NFL QB, not a huge bust but not top 10.

1.22 Johnny Manziel, Browns - I... just don't know. I think he'll have an up and down career, and peak early. Hover around average, if that.

1.32 Teddy Bridgewater, Vikings - Sounds like a homer pick but I've thought he'd be great for awhile. I said I think he'll be top 10 within 3 years right after we picked Barr and I'll stick with that. Fringe elite ceiling. 14-16th ranked QB as his floor. I just don't see the bust factor with him at all, he just has the things you want in an NFL QB in his game.

2.4 Derek Carr, Raiders - Cautiously optimistic with Carr. Elite potential if he can get the mechanics down, not likely though. Think he'll be a fringe top 10 QB and a keeper for Oakland. If he never gets his mechanics down he can still rely on his arm like Cutler.

2.30 Jimmy Garoppolo, Patriots - I don't know. If he's groomed as Brady's successor he's in a good position to succeed. I don't know where I'd project him to rank.

4.35 Tom Savage, Texans - Fringe starter.

5.23 Aaron Murray, Chiefs - Fringe starter at best.

5.24 AJ McCarron, Bengals - Average backup.

6.2 Zach Mettenberger, Titans - Average QB ceiling, 20-25th ranked QB most likely.

PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2014 7:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think that Bridgewater, Garoppolo and Bortles will be good starters for their respective teams.

Carr, Manziel, Thomas and Mettenberger will bust hard. I loved Carr for MN but going to the black hole was the worst possible scenario for him. He will be playing way too soon.

The other qbs will be solid backups at best ie Matt Flynn, to journeyman.
vike daddy

PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2014 7:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

let's use this thread through the season as a news spot for all these QBs' developments, struggles, and pay-offs:

Browns owner Jimmy Haslam: "Brian Hoyer is the starting quarterback. It's his job to lose. We were frank with Manziel on Friday that's the expectation, you're the backup quarterback. This is a hard-working, blue-collar town, this isn't Hollywood. We want you to come in and go to work."

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/eye-on-football/24559905/browns-owner-jimmy-haslam-johnny-manziel-is-the-backup-qb

Webmaster wrote:
vikingsrule

PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2014 7:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wonder how Manziel really feels about having to go to Cleveland.
vike daddy

PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2014 7:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

vikingsrule wrote:
I wonder how Manziel really feels about having to go to Cleveland.

it's certainly not the advertising market that a larger, more metropolitan city would afford him. but maybe that doesn't matter if he's in with national companies anyway, like Nike.

Webmaster wrote:
vike daddy

PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2014 7:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Texans and Tom Savage:

One reason the Texans signed Ryan Fitzpatrick to a two-year contract was to mentor a young quarterback who would be selected in the draft.

Fitzpatrick: “I think that was the plan all along. The biggest thing I can do is to provide an example with my work ethic and how I approach the game – a lot of things I’ve been through, whether it’s been successes or mistakes, just sharing some of those experiences. A big thing for a quarterback is sharing some of the experiences you go through. My approach doesn’t change at all. I try to be the best player I can be, the best teammate, and trying to be an extension of coach O’Brien and [quarterbacks coach] Godsey on the field.”

http://blog.chron.com/ultimatetexans/2014/05/ryan-fitzpatrick-ready-to-serve-as-mentor-to-tom-savage/#23243101=0&23299103=0

Webmaster wrote:
vikingsrule

PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2014 7:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fitzpatrick is a smart guy. He knows exactly what needs to be said to always find work. Too many times we hear of veteran qbs not having an interest in mentoring young players. Fitzpatricks approach may lead to a long playing career.
Virginia Viking

PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2014 7:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I will be shocked if Logan Thomas plays a down of quarterback in the NFL. If he is to catch on it will be as a TE.

I think Garopallo is potentially in the best situation to be groomed. As long as Belichek is in charge, the qb will always have an above average cast of players who play as a team.

I actually think Manziel will be a star in the NFL.

Of course, I am most excited about Teddy...maturity, leadership, hard worker AND READS DEFENSES!!!! Within three years he will be compared favorably to Aaron Rodgers.
vike daddy

PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2014 7:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Former UCF quarterback Blake Bortles and the Jacksonville Jaguars are already becoming a match made in marketing heaven.

The Jags purchased three electronic billboard advertisements in Orlando with the message "welcome to the family" and player images for their 2014 NFL draft class. There are 10 billboards in the Jacksonville area with the same image, but a different message that states "welcome to the new generation of Jags football." Bortles is displayed front and center in his UCF uniform.

Jags General Manager David Caldwell: "We feel really good about this pick, and we feel like for the future of this franchise it was the right thing to do."

http://www.orlandosentinel.com/sports/blogs/knights-notepad/os-jaguars-blake-bortles-billboard,0,1549103.post

Webmaster wrote:
vike daddy

PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2014 7:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

NFL Media Insider Ian Rapoport said on Monday that there is still "mutual interest" between the Texans and Patriots in a Ryan Mallett trade.

"From what I understand, there is still a chance (for a trade)," Rapoport said on NFL Network, adding that May 27 is the key date because that's when the Patriots take the field for organized team activities.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap2000000349893/article/ryan-mallett-trade-to-houston-texans-still-possible

Webmaster wrote:
vike daddy

PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2014 8:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That fear of future failure is what led the Patriots to select Eastern Illinois quarterback Jimmy Garoppolo No. 62 overall in the 2014 NFL draft on Friday. Belichick specifically said the Patriots want to avoid having a season like the 2011 Indianapolis Colts, when they went 2-14 after Peyton Manning missed the year with a neck injury.

http://nesn.com/2014/05/bill-belichick-patriots-drafted-qb-to-avoid-season-like-2011-colts/

Webmaster wrote:
NorthCountryEvo

PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2014 8:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bridgewater will do well. I think he really comes on in year 4 though. I expect him to ride the pine this year, and if Cassel really shows up this year, which I think he will in Turner's offense, then he will start again next season, even though the fans will want TB out there. I think Bridgewater could make the pro-bowl/all pro by year 5.

Garoppolo will end up doing very well. Remember, Cassel looked really good in NE before he left, and I think they will work the same magic with Jimmy. He won't be the next Brady, but I think he does have potential to be like Romo, except he won't have all the post season struggles.

Manziel will be interesting. There will be a lot of growing pains. Fans will be calling for him very early. As soon as Hoyer shows the first signs of questionable play, the Johnny Football chants will start, and Manziel will be on the field before the season ends. I think that playing in cold weather will not bode well for him. I expect to see his TD/INT ratio to be about even, and despite having a lot of flashy plays, he will have just as many dumb ones. His play style will be entertaining, but will also be his demise. I expect him to be a media spectacle like tebow, but for about 3-4 years, until the shiny new allure is gone, and the fans only see his flaws.

If Jacksonville can pull their stuff together, Bortles could end up being in the top half of QB's. I could see him being a Hasselbeck, Good, really good for a few years, but nothing that people will be clamoring for in fantasy football. Expect a decent 10 years out of him in JAX, but no superbowls or deep playoff runs in his future there (which will be a product of the team, not him).

"NIGHT STALKERS DON'T QUIT"
swiss_vike

PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2014 8:23 am    Post subject: Re: Watching the 2014 Draft QB's, who's going to succeed? Reply with quote

Quote:
1.3 Blake Bortles, Jaguars

Will be better than Gabbert. Will not be much better than Gabbert. Will be able to start longer though, but ultimately a career backup.

Quote:
1.22 Johnny Manziel, Browns

Can't possibly tell. I can see complete bust, I can see SB winner. For sure: he'll be fun to watch.

Quote:
1.32 Teddy Bridgewater, Vikings

Franchise QB. Top 10 in 3 years. Multiple Pro bowls. There will be times where he'll be discussed as the best QB in the game.

Quote:
2.4 Derek Carr, Raiders

Out of a starting job in 2 years. Career backup.

Quote:
2.30 Jimmy Garoppolo, Patriots

Is in a great situation. If he doesn't have to start too early, could be a very solid QB. Will not be Brady, more like a solid game manager. Patriots won't be able to ride him to multiple SB's without a dominant defense and a great supporting cast.

Quote:
4.20 Logan Thomas, Cardinals

Arians could make him a good pick. Will have limited game, but inside those limits, he could be great. I can see long time starter potential.

Quote:
4.35 Tom Savage, Texans

HAHAHA...that's all I can tell.

Quote:
5.23 Aaron Murray, Chiefs

When he'll get a chance to start, Chiefs fan will think why he didn't start earlier. Will be an upgrade over Alex Smith. Outside of Bridgewater, the only possible fanchise QB I see in this draft class.

Quote:
5.24 AJ McCarron, Bengals

Possibly a small upgrade over Dalton...but that's not a sure thing.

Quote:
6.2 Zach Mettenberger, Titans

If he can stay out of trouble, I could see him surprise a few people. If his supporting cast will be good, he could win the big one. I see him as a Flacco type career player...possibly.

Quote:
6.7 David Fales, Bears

I'm really excited to see what Trestman is able to get out of this man. I'm unable to project though.

Quote:
6.18 Keith Wenning, Ravens

Career backup.

Quote:
6.37 Tajh Boyd, Jets

Carrer backup

Quote:
6.38 Garrett Gilbert, Rams

Good situation he's in. He will get a chance to start. If it's early, then good by Gilbert, if he gets 2-3 years to learn, watch out.[/quote]
disaacs

PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2014 8:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

vikingsrule wrote:
Carr, Manziel, Thomas and Mettenberger will bust hard.

It's really hard to be considered a bust when you're drafted in the 6th round like Mettenberger. If he becomes even a solid backup, that's a success.

Thx to Uncle Buck!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Minnesota Vikings All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 31, 32, 33  Next
Page 1 of 33

Jump to: