Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Grading the Panthers Draft

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Carolina Panthers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
wolf7373

PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2014 6:22 am    Post subject: Grading the Panthers Draft Reply with quote

1st round, 28th overall Kelvin Benjamin, wide receiver, Florida State.

Value: B-, Lee and Lattimer would of been safer picks but based on my own film study Lattimer was not that impressive (bad QB play could be attributed) and certainly did not look like a burner in the Big 10. Lee is injury prone, which is a huge red flag in my book. KB is essentially Mike Evans. People just like Evans more because hes 20 and not 23.

Need: A, Carolina needed a red zone target like this against SF in the playoffs.

Next season impact: C+, KB will need some time to develop. I don't doubt he will get ample opportunities inside the 20 but it could be a year before the team uses him as a true number one.

Long term potential: A, If the team grooms this guy right, I see him being as good if not better than Plaxico Burress.

Overall: B+, A huge target for Cam, with upside.

2nd round, 60th overall Kony Ealy, defensive lineman, Missouri.

Value: A, He was the BPA.

Need: B, Some may think this is a high grade based on the roster but with Alexander's suspension, Hardy's lack of a long-term deal and CJ's huge cap figure next season, this pick allows Gettleman and the team leverage.

Next season impact: C, Ealy won't start barring injury but may come inside on 3rd down passing situations.

Long term potential: A, he is a starting caliber defensive end who could one day be a pro bowler

Overall: B+, A DE who keeps the teams strengths strong

3rd round, 92nd overall Trai Turner, guard, LSU.

Value: A, I thought hed be a late 2nd early third pick.

Need: B+, OT is certainly the most concerning part of the offensive line but OG is not without some questions as well. Amini is coming off an injury and I have no idea what to expect from Kugbila

Next season impact: A, I see this guy starting at either R/L guard.

Long term potential: A, Both Kiper and Mayock stated Turner would have gone much higher in the draft had he stayed a year at LSU.

Overall: A, The NFL is a passing league but Seattle just won the SB as a defensive power running team. Tuner gives Carolina some more nastiness in the trenches.

4th round, 128th overall Tre Boston, defensive back, North Carolina.

Value: B, There may have been better safeties on the board. Reynolds out of Stanford was available as well.

Need: D, Boston simply wasn't a need.

Next season impact: C-, I don't see Boston coming in too often but then again I didn't expect to be seeing Robert Lester in the lineup as much last year. He'll mainly be a ST guy.

Long term potential: B+, Maybe Gettleman sees Boston as a potential starter in the future. He has great ball hawking skills and possess starting caliber traits, if given time to develop.

Overall: C+, Boston showed he could be the leader of the secondary at the East-West Shrine game. Given time he could be the leader of the Panthers back end.

5th round, 148th overall Bene Benwikere, cornerback, San Jose State.

Value: B+, Bene slipped a little. Some had him pegged as a 4th rounder. Giving up the 7th wasn't really big deal.

Need: B+, Carolina needs corners with the departure of Munnerlyn.

Next season impact: C-, Coming from a smaller school, Bene will need time to adjust to the speed of the game. Another depth and ST guy for the time being, although Gettleman says hell compete for the nickel spot.

Long term potential: B+, In the same vein as Boston, Bene has tools that could one day give him the chance to start. People forget Richard Sherman and Byron Maxwell were 5th and 6th rounders respectively.

Overall: B-, Panther fans may look back in two years and be glad Gettleman moved up to get a starting corner in the 5th round. He may also not work out if he doesn't gravitate towards the speed of the NFL.

6th round, 204th overall Tyler Gaffney, running back, Stanford.

Value: A-, He was projected to be as high as a 4th rounder.

Need: F, Right now he's 4th on the depth chart

Next season impact: D, I don't see much playing time for Gaffney barring an injury.

Long term potential: C-, Gaffney could possibly be apart of a RBC but its doubtful he's a viable long-term starter in the future.

Overall: D, Carolina could have gotten another positional player or taken a flier on a project OT but its a 6th round pick.

Draft Grades:

Value: A-

Need: C-

Next season impact: C

Long term potential: A-

Overall: B+

The Panthers biggest needs coming into the draft were OT, WR, CB and OLB.

The fans and media will focus on what the Panthers didn't get, which is why they'll rate this draft poorly. Gettleman stated after the first four OTs, the drop off in talent was tremendous. Obviously, he trusts Bell more than anyone they could of drafted after Matthews, Robinson, Lewhan and Martin. If you just look at the prospects drafted and where, its tough to not give this draft an A. But of course that is my opinion. I don't think the Panthers had the best draft but I think they were amongst the top 10-12.
haggis

PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2014 10:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Grade: C
Panthers needed a CB, OT, G, and WR and at their selection everyone was left on the board. trading down with one of the QB needing teams would have been a better option and would have been able to snag any of the top needed position

Grade: B
Yes Ealy was the BPA but since Carolina already has 2 of the best DEs in the league this team cannot afford to draft a luxury pick with glaring weaknessed on the OL, WR and CB. Only way this move will make sense is trading Johnson or Hardy for draft picks next year.

Grade: B.
Good pick but there were higher rated offensive linemen to be had. But he should be able to start at RG from day 1

Local reach of a prospect and still haven't addressed other higher rated needs

Trading up I thought they would finally nab a good player. still a few OTs left. but went CB. Exum would have been a better choice for me

Grade: B
This could move up to an A if they do what I believe...Cut DeAngelo and his contract next month. Gaffney has ability and can be an everydown back but will he get the opportunity. He is an older RB and not much younger than Stewart. Could be the best pick in this draft class

OVERALL: C
missed some opportunities and reached for players while passing up adding OT and another WR. This draft class will all hinge on WR Kelvin Benjamin.
Impulser12000

PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2014 12:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

if I had to name this draft for the panthers it'd just be "raw" because that's what most of the players are

1. KB= C
well he's a wr and he's big. but while fast he is not quick and takes awhile to get going. yes lee has injury concerns but IMO was still a safer pick. time will tell but he's raw and it'll take awhile and a lotta work to turn him into a viable starting wr

2. Kony= B
I get the value of him. and that he gives us leverage vs. CJ and hardy. but when you already have 2 pro bowlers at the position and bell and a ghost another position I don't like it. I get making your strength stronger but these DE's will get a lot of work if Cam's getting sacked on 3 and outs.

3. Trai- B plus
OG was a ? mark with the injuries and lack of depth. He's raw, could've used another year in college, but is a mauler and should start from day 1. Has stuff to learn but should be solid.

4. Tre Boston- C plus
adding to a log jam at safety, we do have vets that probably only have a year or two left so I see the need. but another raw prospect that'll need coaching and in the end probably will be a STeamer and spot starter.

5. Bene- B
Small school propect who of course has a lot to learn. bit raw, but should eventually fill the munnerlyn role.

6. Gaffney- D
decent value but in an area that as of right now we have no need. in fact we have too many here already and he'll be IMO 5th on the depth chart for carries. maybe in the future he makes d will or j stew expendable but right now don't run to the outside because theres no one blocking there. we could've used another wr or OT and IMO this was a complete luxury pick.

Overall- C
KB makes or breaks this draft. If he turns into a prime Burress or Jeffrey or Marshall this will bump it up to a B for me. But the glaring omission is the lack of any OT. This was a huge need. one not addressed in FA, and the consensus here was that it doesn't matter who's at Wr if cam is on his back. Well here's hoping Bell and the ghost show some improvement because right now the OT situation scares me (and probably cam) tremendously.

CarolinaKitten on the sig
CAROLINA DID NOT DRAFT ARMANTI EDWARDS TO PLAY QB...or at all. Man he sucks
fretgod99

Global Moderator
PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2014 12:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Grade: To Be Determined (TBD)
Too early to tell. A more definitive answer can be given later, likely after at least two full NFL seasons, possibly more.

Grade: TBD
Too early to tell. A more definitive answer can be given later, likely after at least two full NFL seasons, possibly more.

Overall Grade: TBD
Too early to tell. A more definitive answer can be given later, likely after at least two full NFL seasons, possibly more. As Impulser noted, there does appear to be a number of players taken that might need some time to develop. So determination on whether this was an effective draft really can't be made. It doesn't look like there might be a lot of immediate impact outside of maybe one or two players, but one never knows. As stated, a better analysis can be made after sufficient time has passed.

MrDrew wrote:
Can somebody give me a good reason there's not a giant statue to fret somewhere?
boondock

PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2014 1:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The draft can be graded so many ways.

If you look at our draft from how the prospects will help the team immediately; you're probably going to give it a lower grade than if you based off the potential these prospects bring to the table.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Carolina Panthers All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: