Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

So after watching all of Gettleman's pressers
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Carolina Panthers
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Are you satisfied?
Yes!!! :D
83%
 83%  [ 15 ]
No!!! >:(
16%
 16%  [ 3 ]
Total Votes : 18

Zithers

PostPosted: Sun May 11, 2014 6:19 am    Post subject: So after watching all of Gettleman's pressers Reply with quote

along with listening to each player's conference cal, I'm pretty satisfied, at least with the first three rounds. Notes from everything said:

Kelvin Benjamin
Can't teach 6'5 240. Good blocker, runs better routes than most WRs in the draft (said OBJ is the only fully polished route runner). Was alone at top of the board. Got better as time went on. Caught GW TD in Championship even though everyone on the planet knew it was going to him. Great redzone target in general. Worked in pro offense. Spotty hands seemed to be from trying to run first, not from being a bodycatcher.

Kony Ealy
Gettleman said he reminded him of a young Osi Umenyiora. Prototypical size and can play inside on pass downs. No motor issues. Had a first round grade and Gettleman says he has no idea how Ealy fell to them. Provides leverage for Hardy and CJ.

Trai Turner
Only 20 years old. Played every snap in last four games, so no questions about stamina. Did lots of pulling in Cam Cameron's pro offense. Mike Mayock said Turner likely would have been a late first or early second had he stayed at school. Can play either guard spot and even center. Was called a hog molly. Was apparently not absolute top pick, had a few other guys with same rating. When asked about Kugbila, Gettleman looked like he had given up on him. Still rehabbing from that knee issue from last training camp...

I'd expect KB to be a starter. Ealy will likely step right in ahead of Addison and the now suspended Alexander as 3rd DE. Turner I bet can start at RG right away. Could be a pretty sick interior OL next year if not this year.

As for lower picks, Tyler Gaffney was praised for his blitz pickups. Played with Stanford, left to play minor league baseball for the Pirates, came back and ran for 1700 yards without missing a beat. Really strange. Probably leverage for Double Trouble. Barner seems to be a disappointment? Tre Boston was basically just praised for being the QB of the defense and having ball skills. Doubt he gets a shot at starting until Decoud and Godfrey are gone (even though Godfrey is apparently heading to corner, he could still potentially play FS with injuries or if Decoud sucks out loud, etc). Bene Benwikere (pronounced Ben-Ay Ben-Wick-Er-Ee) seems like a slightly bigger Captain Munnerlyn from what was said.

Other notes:
Kony Ealy said he thought #KONY2014 stuff on twitter was funny. Is Sheldon Richardson's cousin.
Tyler Gaffney went to high school with Ron Rivera's kids, who obviously chose going to Cal over Stanford.
Bene Benwikere picked off former camp QB Colby Cameron three times in a game. Bene means "good" in French and his dad is Nigerian.
Kelvin Benjamin will wear #13. Blech.
Tre Boston apparently read up on the Panthers a lot after meeting with us because he knew our defensive ranks and offseason signings in the conference call he did. Usually none of the rookies can name anybody... seemed the most excited among the guys.

I believe everyone except for Gaffney mentioned having a private meeting/workout with the team. Gettleman did the third day of the draft from Skype to attend his son's college graduation. Had an IT guy there to make sure everything worked lol. Oh and our ST coordinator's kid, Richard Rodgers III, was drafted by Green Bay. Our trade-up did not involve a future pick so we have all seven picks for next year.

PostPosted: Sun May 11, 2014 8:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am. I read yesterday that a large percentage of Benjamins drops were from trying to run before catching the ball. That can be worked on.

I liked the Kony pick. It seems like a great value pick at a "bread and butter" position.

Trai Turner was a no brainer imo.

The Gaffney and Boston picks I am less excited about. But whatever. I have faith they know more about building a football team than I do. So I will just have to wait and see.

Bene is intriguing. But I think I still would have preferred Reynolds. He reminds me more of Munnerlyn than this kid. But again... we'll see.

I dont think it was a bad draft. But I dont think many people will like it as much as I/we do.

CK on the sig
FriendlyEnemy

PostPosted: Sun May 11, 2014 9:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
"Play-to-play effort is questionable; stands around to watch the play too often, especially when tired or playing against better talent."

So as long as the Offensive Lineman in the NFL aren't Better than the guys he played against in College, we're all set.

yeah he sounds like a guy I want on my team. Shocked

Quote:
so after the draft and FA i see us going 7-9 again.

Quote:
I am not convinced that this organization actually cares about winning. I mean really.

We can't [inappropriate/removed] draft 1 good player per year and expect to win.

If anybody disagrees with me, I would like to see some sort of report or analysis of our draft by someone with some CREDIBILITY who says we did good.

Without that, I give the whole draft a D- and suddenly i'm not even looking forward to the coming season.

Quote:
The only question is.....

Who will we be selecting with the 1st Overall pick next year?

Because that's how i see this playing out.

Just some reactions from last year's draft thread. Star turned out to be a solid rock in our line. Short showed incredible potential in his rotation. Kugblia, while on IR, gives us some depth on the O-line. Klein picked up for Blackburn with no dropoff. Barner is in a very crowded backfield.

I think people need to take a deep breath and let these picks play out. Last year we got 3 starters out of 5 with potentially one more this year (Kugbila). Let these guys come to training camp and preseason and show us what they got before we pass judgement.

PostPosted: Sun May 11, 2014 9:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

FriendlyEnemy wrote:
Quote:
"Play-to-play effort is questionable; stands around to watch the play too often, especially when tired or playing against better talent."

So as long as the Offensive Lineman in the NFL aren't Better than the guys he played against in College, we're all set.

Quote:

Quote:
I am not convinced that this organization actually cares about winning. I mean really.

We can't [inappropriate/removed] draft 1 good player per year and expect to win.

If anybody disagrees with me, I would like to see some sort of report or analysis of our draft by someone with some CREDIBILITY who says we did good.

Without that, I give the whole draft a D- and suddenly i'm not even looking forward to the coming season.

Quote:

Just some reactions from last year's draft thread. Star turned out to be a solid rock in our line. Short showed incredible potential in his rotation. Kugblia, while on IR, gives us some depth on the O-line. Klein picked up for Blackburn with no dropoff. Barner is in a very crowded backfield.

I think people need to take a deep breath and let these picks play out. Last year we got 3 starters out of 5 with potentially one more this year (Kugbila). Let these guys come to training camp and preseason and show us what they got before we pass judgement.

Is that really what some people said after last years draft!?

People can be such melodramatic clowns!

CK on the sig
skylined8300

PostPosted: Sun May 11, 2014 11:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

J Pep 4 Step wrote:
FriendlyEnemy wrote:
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Is that really what some people said after last years draft!?

People can be such melodramatic clowns!

It is probably the same people who sounded like that this year. The armchair GM's

NC SacKing wrote:
This isn't Madden, this isn't fantasy football, and complaining about it on the internet does NOTHING
Impulser12000

PostPosted: Sun May 11, 2014 2:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I get the reaction to knee jerk reactions which are sometimes overreactions but we shouldn't give the powers that be a free pass. I mean isn't that point of these discussion boards. otherwise after every pick we'd just say "oh well, it's gettleman, he's smarter than me and it's not three years in the future"

CarolinaKitten on the sig
CAROLINA DID NOT DRAFT ARMANTI EDWARDS TO PLAY QB...or at all. Man he sucks
cpanthers178990

PostPosted: Sun May 11, 2014 3:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am very pleased with this draft. I feel like we got better as a team.

Both Benjamin and Turner will be game 1 starters.

Kony Ealy only brings our defense up that much more. First round grade on Gettleman's board.

The late round picks are all depth or special teams at this point.

I would also love to add that I love the competition we have in the secondary right now.
64 Pass TDs
2032 Rush Yards
28 Rush TDs
6 4Q/OT GW Drives
fretgod99

Global Moderator
PostPosted: Sun May 11, 2014 3:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Impulser12000 wrote:
I get the reaction to knee jerk reactions which are sometimes overreactions but we shouldn't give the powers that be a free pass. I mean isn't that point of these discussion boards. otherwise after every pick we'd just say "oh well, it's gettleman, he's smarter than me and it's not three years in the future"
Sure, there shouldn't be a free pass. But there's a difference between saying you think this player might not be the best available and the best fit or you're not sure why they went after a particular position when x player at y position of need was available and the unfortunately not uncommon, "This draft is pathetic. What is wrong with these people? Do they watch tape at all? This bum [ex: 6th round pick] won't even make the roster! We should have drafted L'Carpetron Dookmarriot in the 3rd round [player who has never played a down in the NFL and who eventually went undrafted]! It's like they don't even want to win! Whelp guys, who are we gonna take first overall next year?"

MrDrew wrote:
Can somebody give me a good reason there's not a giant statue to fret somewhere?
tbrown2699

PostPosted: Sun May 11, 2014 3:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Overall, the draft met the majority of my expectations. We got better as a team. Benjamin and Turner are already penciled in as starters and Ealy will rotate with our current crop of DE's. The last three picks I have no clue about but I have absolutely no reason to to trust Gettleman. The only downfall to this draft was that we didn't walk away with a starting OT.I guess Gettleman and Rivera have more faith in B.Bell than many of us here on this board.
J Pep 4 Step

PostPosted: Sun May 11, 2014 3:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Impulser12000 wrote:

The point of the discussion boards is to discuss. Flying off half cocked because you are convinced every move is a disaster isnt much of a discussion. Especially when you wont listen to other opinions because you think youre smarter than everyone else. That isnt a discussion. Thats just someone pissing and moaning and complaining.

Nobody is giving anyone a "free pass" by saying "I dont get it. But he's got a great track record so I will wait and see." I didnt like every pick. I have my doubts. But this staff has earned my respect and until things fall apart I have no reason to question their ability to build a team. And, at the very least, I understand the reasoning behind every single pick.

CK on the sig

Last edited by J Pep 4 Step on Sun May 11, 2014 3:52 pm; edited 1 time in total
J Pep 4 Step

PostPosted: Sun May 11, 2014 3:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

fretgod99 wrote:
Impulser12000 wrote:
Sure, there shouldn't be a free pass. But there's a difference between saying you think this player might not be the best available and the best fit or you're not sure why they went after a particular position when x player at y position of need was available and the unfortunately not uncommon, "This draft is pathetic. What is wrong with these people? Do they watch tape at all? This bum [ex: 6th round pick] won't even make the roster! We should have drafted L'Carpetron Dookmarriot in the 3rd round [player who has never played a down in the NFL and who eventually went undrafted]! It's like they don't even want to win! Whelp guys, who are we gonna take first overall next year?"

Bingo!

CK on the sig
rjkilla

PostPosted: Sun May 11, 2014 4:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

just wanted to throw in that i'm worried about gettlemans health. he's in awful shape and i'm worried about his throat issues. put down the fork and cigar sir

PostPosted: Sun May 11, 2014 7:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

J Pep 4 Step wrote:
fretgod99 wrote:
Impulser12000 wrote:

Bingo!

that's exactly what I was saying. overreactions are just that. overreactions. but just to say trust gettleman isn't enough (even tho I actually do). or wait a couple years to judge (and I actually will) we live in a world of instant gratification and snap judgments and where drafts are concerned that's exactly what we get and do. concerning this draft I thought OT was the biggest need, and after the draft OT is still our biggest need. why we didn't pick one is still beyond me. honestly I think this is a boom or bust draft. too many raw players in areas we already had people. I get some of the value we got (like kony) but overall I am not a fan of the draft. maybe in a few years ill be

CarolinaKitten on the sig
CAROLINA DID NOT DRAFT ARMANTI EDWARDS TO PLAY QB...or at all. Man he sucks
Zithers

PostPosted: Sun May 11, 2014 7:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rjkilla wrote:
just wanted to throw in that i'm worried about gettlemans health. he's in awful shape and i'm worried about his throat issues. put down the fork and cigar sir

yeah i'm always wondering why during EVERY presser he does he is clearing his throat and sounds raspy...

at least he's grooming brandon beane as a successor.

PostPosted: Sun May 11, 2014 7:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Appears to be one great draft class.

I admit I was like" W-W-What!" when they took Ealy instead of an OT...but then I remembered watching Ealy this past season and then went:

Sig by Me

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Carolina Panthers All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: